• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

M.J. Doja

Banned
well your username (backwards) is a lil offensive.

The fuck?

Your post is offensive by trying to say a guy took Reggie and turned it into Regginator.

You're literally saying, Rotanigger is "a lil offensive".

You're trying to say that if you reverse his name, and the word "nigger" is in there, that is just a "lil offensive"

This is the kind of obtuse trolling that is offensive, because you have to use racial shit (something that matters in real life) instead of just stupid stuff like video games and anime (stuff that doesnt matter in real life).

in reality, nobody should have to explain that Reggie is a common name, especially on a gaming site. Regginator would be a common permutation of that name. because in reality, the troll is trying to offend somebody by calling them a covert racist, and also offend every other liberal minded person who might care. SAD!

Fergie

Banned
Same point when having a Black "friend" stopped it.

I mean, Dylann Roof literally had a Black friend.

No idea why people can't comprehend a racist having a black friend or liking parts of black culture can't be racist.

Even when it's a interracial couple, racism comes out.

Order

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There were a lot of white trash people in high school that liked rap and hip hop but were racist as fuck too.

Why would someone dislike a race of people but enjoy their culture? It makes no sense.
I'm sure there was a point in time where people said something like "Why would I dislike black people, my house maid is one and I love her cooking!"

You can certainly be a full blooded racist and still enjoy "services" black people provide

Massive bullshit deflection at its finest. You asked me to point to people justifying and defending Floyd, I pointed to them. Just look through the thread. Look at Syphon Filter's post history.

Why are you looking at my post history? You act like you aren't biased yourself lol.

Massive bullshit deflection at its finest. You asked me to point to people justifying and defending Floyd, I pointed to them. Just look through the thread. Look at Syphon Filter's post history.

Woooo. So Syphon Filter's 1 comment, in a 14 page thread, is evidence in a thread about Conor's antics? And the fact that you are asking me to look at this one poster history to make that claim is laughable.

Chumley, you were more entertaining when you were stanning for the forever friend zone guy.

Benefit of the doubt is being given because you have to perform some serious mental gymnastics to take McGregor saying "dancing monkeys" in a movie scene with no black people and assume he is applying to black people

Naw, I base it on a history the guy has with saying racially charged shit. No giving him the benefit when he said all the shit he has said in the pass PLUS the fact that he called Mayweather a boy and requested he dance for him, before quickly pivoting to "son".

angelic

Banned
Regardless of the age, dude is naive as hell... at best.

I'm not young, but it does make no sense! I'm a white male, I find racism utterly ridiculous, absurd, it's a joke that it even exists in the world. Most of the music I like wouldnt exist if it wasnt for black culture, I find it staggering that someone could be a racist in 2017. The whole concept of it is utterly stupid.

I really dont think Conor is one, the video went down before I saw it but as someone else says, apparantly he's not referring directly to black men as monkeys, and I give him the benefit of the doubt. I watched him KO Aldo in the 13 seconds it took, and afterwards, before Big John raised his arm, he gave Also a wink and thumbs up, a gesture of respect, basically saying that before all his WWE promo stuff kicked in...good fight mate, respect.

I dont think he's racist, and I think he respects black athletes immensely.

It's at the very start of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kmp7r3f0z0

Chumley

Banned
Woooo. So Syphon Filter's 1 comment, in a 14 page thread, is evidence in a thread about Conor's antics? And the fact that you are asking me to look at this one poster history to make that claim is laughable.

Chumley, you were more entertaining when you were stanning for the forever friend zone guy.

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about, and you're being willfully obtuse. For the record, I was referring to Syphon Filter calling Floyd's DV record a bunch of bullshit allegations drummed up by his kid.

Why are you looking at my post history? You act like you aren't biased yourself lol.

I don't have to look it up, I remember the post. It was MRA tier shit that normally gets people banned. You gonna pretend like it never happened?

Order

I'm not young, but it does make no sense! I'm a white male, I find racism utterly ridiculous, absurd, it's a joke that it even exists in the world. Most of the music I like wouldnt exist if it wasnt for black culture, I find it staggering that someone could be a racist in 2017. The whole concept of it is utterly stupid.

I really dont think Conor is one, the video went down before I saw it but as someone else says, apparantly he's not referring directly to black men as monkeys, and I give him the benefit of the doubt. I watched him KO Aldo in the 13 seconds it took, and afterwards, before Big John raised his arm, he gave Also a wink and thumbs up, a gesture of respect, basically saying that before all his WWE promo stuff kicked in...good fight mate, respect.

This is embarrassing

You live in this bubble where you refuse to believe the most blatantly racist things are racist just because it's 2017 and it doesn't make sense to you.

Naw, I base it on a history the guy has with saying racially charged shit. No giving him the benefit when he said all the shit he has said in the pass PLUS the fact that he called Mayweather a boy and requested he dance for him, before quickly pivoting to "son".
All fair, save it for moments like "boy" which are obvious. Instead of "potentially he meant this... if he misremembered this and this... and was actually meaning this part of this movie that actually had black people in it"

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about, and you're being willfully obtuse. For the record, I was referring to Syphon Filter calling Floyd's DV record a bunch of bullshit allegations drummed up by his kid.

Syphon Filter stanning for Floyd is the crux of your argument. He is one poster and an outlier in this thread at that. We have multiple people trying to reason as to why Conor might be "misunderstood" or whatever.

We didn't get to the thread we have right now because 1 lone Conor fan was defending his honor so why do you keep pointing to one person? And again, what do those allegations have to do with THIS thread?!?!

Willfully obtuse...good grief, man.

All fair, save it for moments like "boy" which are obvious. Instead of "potentially he meant this... if he misremembered this and this... and was actually meaning this part of this movie that actually had black people in it"

C'mon man. Conor isn't an idiot. He knows he gave himself some wiggle room by being "unclear" which movie it was and if it had "dancing monkeys".

He likely knows damn well there isn't a single Rocky movie with "dancing monkeys" in it.

Chumley

Banned
Syphon Filter stanning for Floyd is the crux of your argument. He is one poster and an outlier in this thread at that. We have multiple people trying to reason as to why Conor might be "misunderstood" or whatever.

We didn't get to the thread we have right now because 1 lone Conor fan was defending his honor so why do you keep pointing to one person? And again, what do those allegations have to do with THIS thread?!?!

It's not just him. It's everyone who said they love Floyd, think what he did is the same, etc. etc. and the list goes on. You're willfully obtuse as fuck. Read the thread.

Racism DOES NOT have to be race hatred.

You're entitled to your opinion, but im not waving the pitchforks at him just yet. He fights (and trains) in a black dominated sport, he embraces black culture, he rode a bicycle up the street singing snoop dogg. I really dont think he's a racist.

jesus christ

Trojita

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that some of the posters in here didn't know about Floyd's racist comments, but there is a lot of people even in the first page supporting Floyd in the fight over Conor because of these remarks.

Most of the tale end of this thread is because of all the dumb shit Angelic has been saying.

angelic

Banned
I'm sure there was a point in time where people said something like "Why would I dislike black people, my house maid is one and I love her cooking!"

You can certainly be a full blooded racist and still enjoy "services" black people provide

I dont consider enjoying an artists work, or watching an athlete I like, as them providing "services". Black music pretty much influenced everything that exists today, from artists in the 50s and 60s stealing from blues, and right through to modern day culture. You can't separate the two, so much of mainstream culture has black roots, that people would have to be complete idiots to not see that.

Admittedly, some people are idiots, but anyway.

In case you're being serious...I can assure you with 100% confidence that there are people into "black people stuff" that will turn around and drop an n-bomb when pushed. And they'll say it with the same level of intensity, fear, and hate as any "real" racist.

I dont consider enjoying an artists work, or watching an athlete I like, as them providing "services". Black music pretty much influenced everything that exists today, from artists in the 50s and 60s stealing from blues, and right through to modern day culture. You can't separate the two, so much of mainstream culture has black roots, that people would have to be complete idiots to not see that.

warmer

angelic

Banned
In case you're being serious...I can assure you with 100% confidence that there are people into "black people stuff" that will turn around and drop an n-bomb when pushed. And they'll say it with the same level of intensity, fear, and hate as any "real" racist.

well, those people are uneducated fools.

exactly, conors a young guy, living mostly in the US these days, in a sport where the best athletes (DJ, Jones, A Silva, Cormier, Aldo etc etc) tend to be black. I really don't think he's racist. As someone who's followed him for 4+ years, I'm waiting to hear the explanation for this "monkeys" comment before condemning him.

He's saying racist shit on purpose to get a rise out of people. If he's saying racist shit then he's racist. Him and Mayweather don't care cause they're both gonna make a lot of money if they sell their fight as a black and white thing but he's racist for even saying this shit.

It's not just one person acting like Mayweather's not a shitty person, and it's not just one person acting like McGregor's not a racist.

Not sure how you expect to be taken seriously by other posters when positing either.

Yet racism still exists

Heck, there are issues with you bubbling down racism into whether people like components of music or athletics. Racism is far bigger than the jobs and successes certain people hold.

As is boxing black people into certain sub-cultures like "athletics & hip hop". It's not much different than saying "I love accountants" when referring to Asians. It's a ridiculous statement that really has nothing to do with the race, and really derives from prejudice and stereotype.

It's not just him. It's everyone who said they love Floyd, think what he did is the same, etc. etc. and the list goes on. You're willfully obtuse as fuck. Read the thread.

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that some of the posters in here didn't know about Floyd's racist comments, but there is a lot of people even in the first page supporting Floyd in the fight over Conor because of these remarks.

Most of the tale end of this thread is because of all the dumb shit Angelic has been saying.

The difference is, I don't see people saying shit like, "Well, when he said 'yellow' and 'sushi' to Manny, how do we know that he meant..." responses like I am seeing for Conor. If people are willing to lay out for Mayweather, knowing he has said and done some vile shit in the past, that is on them.

The one thing I have remarked on is, while we might be seeing people align themselves with Mayweather, I don't see people on a large scale attempting to minimize or contextualize his words.

People at best, are acknowledging that shit and saying, yeah but I don't care. Conor fans are trying to spin his words into "anything but racism".

Is anyone falling for angelic's supreme levels of devil's advocate so he can excuse Conor's shit? Bringing up countries and how "dance for me, boy" isn't racist in the UK even though racism is still a thing in the UK and saying that specifically has racist connotations back in slavery times. "Dance for me, boy" is not at all equivalent to "sit down, son". All Conor needed to add was a southern drawl and the racism would be whip cracker levels of obvious. Dude even went to defending his colonialism ("if this was a different time...") statement!
“I own this town, I own Rio de Janeiro. If this was a different time, I would invade his favela on horseback and would kill anyone who wasn’t fit to work. But we’re in a new time, so I’ll whoop his ass instead."

"When I'm done, I want to turn his favela into a Reebok sweatshop.”

The only movies with actually dancing monkeys would be Wizard Of Oz or some shit. And I doubt Conor is about that early Hollywood musical life.
this is what I think, there is no way he would refer to black men as monkeys in such a way, he must have been misremembering something involving actual monkeys.

He wont have any idea about the boy thing, he's just trying to demean Mayweather, as if like saying "sit down son". And even then it's all just a theatrical performance to sell a fight, Conor respects Floyd.

Not really, it's more like the monkeys comment is a gross misremembering of an old film, and the boy thing is just language differences. I've watched Conor since his 1st UFC fight, all of his promo stuff, he respects black athletes and I don't think he's racist.

I'm a brit and I know how our language often gets misconstrued, the boy thing was 100% not racist, the monkeys thing...I really hope it wasnt, but I'll wait til the facts come out rather than savaging him.

exactly, conors a young guy, living mostly in the US these days, in a sport where the best athletes (DJ, Jones, A Silva, Cormier, Aldo etc etc) tend to be black. I really don't think he's racist. As someone who's followed him for 4+ years, I'm waiting to hear the explanation for this "monkeys" comment before condemning him.

I'll bite. What Conor meant by that is that if he was living in a different time, a less enlightened time, then those acts would be performed. Which is correct. Or put it this way, if any of us were living 500 years ago, we would be raised racist, we would act racist, the world would be racist. We would not know any better. He's not justifying it. It's tasteless, yes.

Thank god we are becoming more educated now, racism is obviously horrific...but the fact is the world used to be backwards, people were less educated, and slavery existed.

You're entitled to your opinion, but im not waving the pitchforks at him just yet. He fights (and trains) in a black dominated sport, he embraces black culture, he rode a bicycle up the street singing snoop dogg. I really dont think he's a racist.

Oh and he is super business minded, he will respect the absolute hell out of Mayweather Promotions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIsTMpnX6a8

"reminisced" is rather hyperbolic, and it was promotional + a tactic to get into Jose Aldo's head. I'm not offended by it, nor the boy thing. They are products of differing cultural sensitivity. The monkeys comment need some explanation, which im sure we'll get tomorrow.

This isnt aimed at you in particular, just a useful post to quote. In the UK and ireland, we use "boy" in the way you use "son" here.

Er, no. I'm using your quote to show how "boy" isnt racist in the UK and Ireland. It's interchangable with "son", which you freely use.

Why would someone dislike a race of people but enjoy their culture? It makes no sense.

neogaf_htown_racism_quantum_locked_by_digi_matrix-dajrl9p.png

Now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're only defending a racist because you're not that well informed at how many things can be racist and how having black friends doesn't excuse your racism. Racism doesn't need to be only violent levels where until Conor says nigger or lynches a black man that's only when he can be considered racist. You don't need to see in his heart of hearts that he's a good person. Good intentions don't mean much when your actions are racist. Actions speak volumes. We're criticising his racist actions. We don't need to read minds. Your arguments for him not being a racist are kind of flimsy and very old-school tactics when defending racist actions, that's why no one is being convinced by your stance. You can believe he's not a racist all you want, while you gotta accept that there are people who believe him to be a racist and have explained to you in enough detail why.

well, those people are uneducated fools.

It's pretty common. And there are even more people who are "down" and hold racist beliefs and/or casually drop n-bombs/monkey jokes all sorts of shit.

It doesn't make them the worst people in the world, but they do have a problem that needs to be addressed. And the torch and pitchfork mobs on the 'net aren't particularly productive either.

I know this because I've heard some "interesting" confessions from white people :D

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Connor just said live that he is half black from the bellybutton down and danced for his "beautiful black female fans."

Not racist confirmed.

Trojita

The difference is, I don't see people saying shit like, "Well, when he said 'yellow' and 'sushi' to Manny, how do we know that he meant..." responses like I am seeing for Conor. If people are willing to lay out for Mayweather, knowing he has said and done some vile shit in the past, that is on them.

The one thing I have remarked on is, while we might be seeing people align themselves with Mayweather, I don't see people on a large scale attempting to minimize or contextualize his words.

People at best, are acknowledging that shit and saying, yeah but I don't care. Conor fans are trying to spin his words into "anything but racism".

I agree there is too many people minimizing or contextualizing his words. It's the same shit you see like when people were defending the cop not pulling the dog off the black guy that was already handcuffed.

After typing this up I did a search to see if Mayweather's comments ever had a thread made about them.

They did

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406206

And yes there is people minimizing and handwaving the racist shit he said too.

Edit: Also lol at posts saying Pacquiao would kick his ass.

angelic

Banned
Well clearly im niaeve, because I find racism such a ridiculous and unpleasant stance to take. But I genuinely don't think Conor is one. There is no way he used "dance for me boy" in a racial way, he's trying to insult Floyd but not racially. Purely for business reasons alone he knows that would destroy his fight deal.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Thank you ryutaro and messofanego for doing the work of true champions. I appreciate it!

Connor just said live that he is half black from the bellybutton down and danced for his "beautiful black female fans."

Not racist confirmed.

Damn it. Funny way of apologizing.

Yet still doesn't excuse the discussion that his comments started. If anything that just shows you can't say some racist shit without being misunderstood as a "racist".

If he thinks black women are beautiful and is proud of having a big dick or whatever other stuff he envies of black people, then he probably knows that saying racist shit is not the way to convey his respect.

Trojita

Well clearly im niaeve, because I find racism such a ridiculous and unpleasant stance to take. But I genuinely don't think Conor is one. There is no way he used "dance for me boy" in a racial way, he's trying to insult Floyd but not racially. Purely for business reasons alone he knows that would destroy his fight deal.

Are you going with that you are so far removed from racism that you can't see racism?

Also you are naive about the latter.

So Conor may very well be a racist shithead. Yet, when I hear the term "dancing monkeys" from Rocky III, I thought he was talking about this:

https://youtu.be/6yl8SOubNvA

It's shitty quality, but it's the exact place where they could be considered "dancing". If you look at it this way, is calling Sylvester Stallone a dancing monkey racist? We're trying to determine what he was thinking, which is impossible unless he clarifies. I think you could take it both ways.

angelic

Banned
Are you going with that you are so far removed from racism that you can't see racism?

Also you are naive about the latter.

Of course not.

Just watched the video "was that the one with the dancing monkeys in the gym". Hmm, not great, that is quite specific. I await his explanation but I'll be very dissapointed if he meant it like that. Very dissapointed.

Top Bottom