• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

jet1911

I guess you've captured the temporal aliasing aspect in that shot with doubled objects (yellow sheets)?

Is that visible while playing the game?

It's hard to notice when you're running around but if you stand still and shoot a guard tower and it comes falling down the ghosting is really hard to miss.

BjxcNnfIYAEH-qc.jpg:orig

BjxbfIrIIAAsaQt.jpg:orig

BjxXtifIEAAuqvK.jpg:orig

Those shots are incredible, That first one looks like real life. Well done.

I think this is the reason why images in Ryse look so blurry! "CRYTEK's Subsurface Scattering" is what creates blur...here's a link that explains more about it!

No. The reason why Ryse is a little blurry is because its 900p upscaled to 1080p. They also use a custom anti alsiasing method which does a good job at evading jaggies, but it also hurts the sharpness of the image a bit.
As far as I know they call it SMAA 1TX, you can read up on it here: http://www.crytek.com/download/Sousa_Graphics_Gems_CryENGINE3.pdf

Infamous used a customized version of SMAA 2TX(presumably more advanced than what Ryse used )
since it has a higher number in it^^
and runs at a native 1080p, thats why it looks quite a bit more clean and sharp.

R8TEDM3

No. The reason why Ryse is a little blurry is because its 900p upscaled to 1080p. They also use a custom anti alsiasing method which does a good job at evading jaggies, but it also hurts the sharpness of the image a bit.
As far as I know they call it SMAA 1TX, you can read up on it here: http://www.crytek.com/download/Sousa_Graphics_Gems_CryENGINE3.pdf

Infamous used a customized version of SMAA 2TX(presumably more advanced than what Ryse used )
and runs at a native 1080p, thats why it looks quite a bit more clean and sharp.

Hmm, very interesting! Thnx for the link! Now i wish "CRTYEK" would release Ryse on PC!

-griffy-

Banned
i don't see how in that case they can be in the wrong location relatively to the camera?

They use SSR, but then you run into the problem of if you tilt the camera down and the actual sign is off camera, then the reflection would disappear too even though you would still actually see the reflection of the sign, so then a cubemap/baked reflection is used, and in some cases those appear in the slightly wrong location.

Doomshine

I've been saying the same thing for years. To me, fighting games are lazy and should be looking much, much better than they do.
Any serious fighting game is going to have to stay at a flawless 60 fps during gameplay and has to be really responsive so you can't just make direct comparisons to other genres.

komplanen

edit: holy crap, I just imdb'd the voice actor for Delsin... he has been a tonne of people! Joel in The Last of Us, Ocelot in the upcoming Metal Gear and Harvey Dent in the new Batman (among many others). I want his job!

While he is a really talented voice actor, he's well on his way to becoming the new Nolan North. It will take a year or two but you'll grow to wish he didn't get all the fucking jobs all the fucking time like Nolan North did for a while :)

aY227

Nah, its not worse, it has just better and different TAA component in comparison to 2Tx, You can even read that in slides You posted. 1Tx was developed on 2Tx, which is Tiago Sousa [Crytek] and Jorge Jimenez [now Activision] technique.
Its all about resolution difference.

dr_rus

I think this is the reason why images in Ryse look so blurry! "CRYTEK's Subsurface Scattering" is what creates blur...here's a link that explains more about it!
Ryse is looking so blurry because 1600x900 is blurry on a 50" 1920x1080 display.

Not a very pretty game. In particular, texture work on the ground and surfaces looks like late gen-2 or very early last gen to me. Probably a result of it's 3DS origins?

TV + Gamepad Shot

IbMjzrg.jpg

xegEBBk.jpg

A couple of TV only shots....

YhPFNS3.jpg

Op7xNqm.jpg

It maybe doesn't apply to the whole image, but it sure blurs the faces a lot! What a mess!

No man you're way off it doesn't "blur" the face it makes the "light" interact more realistically with the skin. Instead of just bouncing off the normal map like in the second shot some of it will penetrate the surface and and refract/reflect throughout the skin. That first shot of the face looks much better than the second

chadboban

Beat this the other day, now trying to collect all the puzzle pieces and beat
hard mode

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01w8y37.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_014fkqm.jpg

Dixie: "Lara Croft ain't got shit on me!"
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01oxjv3.jpg

I've never seen a console game that looks as clean as Infamous. How? What kind of AA are they using?

I believe it's been mentioned a few times to be SMAA T2X anti aliasing. It really produces some fantastic results.

Just google'd it and my brain is confused from what I'm reading.
Is it a cheap solution or is it a good one?

I believe that it's cheaper than MSAA, but basically everything is. That's really the goal of developers creating AA solutions. They want to be able to emulate the quality of MSAA while eliminating how taxing it is on hardware.

Just google'd it and my brain is confused from what I'm reading.
Is it a cheap solution or is it a good one?
It's cheaper than old high-quality solutions, but higher-quality than old cheap solutions. :)

Nah, its not worse, it has just better and different TAA component in comparison to 2Tx, You can even read that in slides You posted. 1Tx was developed on 2Tx, which is Tiago Sousa [Crytek] and Jorge Jimenez [now Activision] technique.
Its all about resolution difference.
Actually, there's discussion at Beyond3D suggesting that the 1Tx version does contribute some extra blurring of the image. The 2Tx version would be sharper on an individual frame...but susceptible to motion ghosting artifacts (as seen on some Infamous shots), which 1Tx avoids.

Timu

How the hell did you take these, they're really nice![/QUOTE] They're most likely cropped since you can't turn off the hud, this is what happens when you crop them:
[IMG]http://i2.minus.com/iAOTuln4Mmguf.png

Actually, there's discussion at Beyond3D suggesting that the 1Tx version does contribute some extra blurring of the image.
Hmm that may explain why Ryse can be blurry besides the upscaling.

chadboban

They're most likely cropped since you can't turn off the hud, this is what happens when you crop them:
iAOTuln4Mmguf.png

Hmm that may explain why Ryse can be blurry besides the upscaling.

Oh okay, man all games really should have an option to turn off the HUD. Hell I thought that would be one of the options that would be implemented frequently in Wii U games given the gamepad. Wish more games would allow us to do that.

No. The reason why Ryse is a little blurry is because its 900p upscaled to 1080p.

They really should allow for custom output resolutions on consoles, or at least provide a native output option for each game. Depending on the display it might be beneficial to let the display do the scaling instead of the gpu/console. Also, older HD CRT's accept all kinds of custom resolutions. A Sony XBR960 will accept up to 1840x1035 progressive scan and will easily do 900p.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...-without-some-of-its-advanced-visual-effects/

Subsurface Scattering Enabled

13466748855_7759a06fe6_o.png

Subsurface Scattering Disabled

13466850443_a407f9c8d9_o.png

SSS in games is usually only applied on skin materials. it simulates the light distribution "inside" the material respectively under the surface. these materials look a lot more convincing in motion. and even on the two screens posted one must be somewhat insane to prefere the lower.

They use SSR, but then you run into the problem of if you tilt the camera down and the actual sign is off camera, then the reflection would disappear too even though you would still actually see the reflection of the sign, so then a cubemap/baked reflection is used, and in some cases those appear in the slightly wrong location.

not sure if im understanding you right. you're saying that the neonsigns SSR turns into a cubemap under a steep viewing angle?

physical based shading + global lighting = win

lovely

i really like how we are seeing the very best of last gens corridor games texturing in open world games and with better IQ now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
What happened to his legs?

I got stuck inside an overpass last night. Completely inside it. I tried everything to get out but I had to load my last save. I took screenshots, of course.
I think they're considered spoilers because of the HUD, which is dumb because they show that power (the third) almost at the beginning of the game, but whatevs.

aY227

Actually, there's discussion at Beyond3D suggesting that the 1Tx version does contribute some extra blurring of the image. The 2Tx version would be sharper on an individual frame...but susceptible to motion ghosting artifacts (as seen on some Infamous shots), which 1Tx avoids.

There is no proof that it introduces additional blurring, because we have not seen native image with 1Tx applied yet. The only thing that can somehow point that it does introduce some additional blurring is because TAA component is based on TXAA technology and TXAA adds some blur to the image. But thats just speculation at this point, we need some native image without AA and native with 1Tx to know for sure.

Top Bottom