• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

C37OFfi.jpg

No point taking in-battle shots at the moment, as the insanely horrid DOF blur filter ruins the look of anything more than a few feet away from you. Fucking insanity. The Japanese version has a patch to fix this, so hopefully it won't take forever to arrive on UK PSN. I honestly have no idea how anyone at KOEI thought that DOF filter looked even remotely good.

In general, it seems there's quite a few more enemies on screen over the PS3 version and, barring a couple of dips during Musou attacks, the frame-rate is solid. But, goddamn, that DOF filter is seriously the worst.

Timu

I think GoW 3 ps3 look cleaner. SS has a lot of aliasing during movement.
GOW 3 didn't look cleaner, I noticed it's jaggies often though it was the cleanest console game at the time. I should buy the complete GOW collection to take screenshots of it and play GOW 3 again.

Timu

C37OFfi.jpg

No point taking in-battle shots at the moment, as the insanely horrid DOF blur filter ruins the look of anything more than a few feet away from you. Fucking insanity. The Japanese version has a patch to fix this, so hopefully it won't take forever to arrive on UK PSN. I honestly have no idea how anyone at KOEI thought that DOF filter looked even remotely good.

In general, it seems there's quite a few more enemies on screen over the PS3 version and, barring a couple of dips during Musou attacks, the frame-rate is solid. But, goddamn, that DOF filter is seriously the worst.
More cutscene screens please!

I think this is the reason why images in Ryse look so blurry! "CRYTEK's Subsurface Scattering" is what creates blur...here's a link that explains more about it!

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...-without-some-of-its-advanced-visual-effects/

Subsurface Scattering Enabled

13466748855_7759a06fe6_o.png

Subsurface Scattering Disabled

13466850443_a407f9c8d9_o.png

The reason Ryse is blurry isn't because 900p or even sub-surface, it's because of their proprietary upscaling method. Think of it like this: 900p (sharp image)-->Goes through uspcaler (Introduces some amount of blur)--> SMAA T1X (upscaled image has been applied with smaa making it even blurrier, but further reduces aliasing) that procedure creates some sort of Gaussian blur to the image. I read that on B3D.

Caayn

Is altering/improving the screens using Photoshop or other programs against thread rules?
Not directly, but one could interpret the first rule to not allow altered screenshots.

What's the point of using screenshots that don't reflect the actual game?

i-Lo

Those Ryse shots look fantastic. Really impressive character detail and poly count. Makes me wonder how well an open world crytek game would look on the console and by extension what is to be expected from the next fallout/ES title on xbone (& PS4)?

How would I go about grabbing screens on my ps4, Wii U, X1,360??? I have an elgato will that help me? i havent used it yet but I need it for streaming and gameplay videos.

aY227

The reason Ryse is blurry isn't because 900p or even sub-surface, it's because of their proprietary upscaling method. Think of it like this: 900p (sharp image)-->Goes through uspcaler (Introduces some amount of blur)--> SMAA T1X (upscaled image has been applied with smaa making it even blurrier, but further reduces aliasing) that procedure creates some sort of Gaussian blur to the image. I read that on B3D.

Thats not correct. AA is applied before upscaling.
Slide 42 here:
http://crytek.com/download/2014_03_25_CRYENGINE_GDC_Schultz.pdf

Mr Moose

How would I go about grabbing screens on my ps4, Wii U, X1,360??? I have an elgato will that help me? i havent used it yet but I need it for streaming and gameplay videos.

There's a screenshot thing at the bottom of the Elgato GCHD app next to the big red button, it'll take a screenshot and save it to your desktop.

R8TEDM3

Finally my HDMI splitter arrived! Few of the pic's you probably have seen many times by now, but i couldn't resist!

Also how do some of you post them SS photos without HUD? I think i read something about pressing options before taking a pic, but it doesn't work for me?

If someone could give me step by step i'd be very grateful!

Cropped to hide HUD!

13498979724_66208dcf30_o.jpg

13498980544_612c7bfcb1_o.jpg

13498730693_e12e476b52_o.jpg

aY227

From what I was able to gather reading some stuff linked at B3D, T1X creates more picture blurriness but eliminates temporal ghosting better compared to T2X. T1X actually sounds like a less demanding AA method, and uses less render targets (3 vs 4 on T2X) to do its thing.

It was all speculation based on the fact that it uses TXAA frame accumulation method for TAA and TXAA is blurry. We dont have any proof that 1Tx gives blurrier image than 2Tx.
1Tx requires less memory, but it doesnt mean that it needs less processing power. It accumulates more than two frames for reprojection, so it can calculate more data overall.
It can however use less bandwidth.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Awesomenauts on PS4! Which looks way better than inFAMOUS: Second Son!
sarcasm, of course, but did that really need to be said?

1957914_10202277050180957_168492673_o.jpg

1492291_10202277051300985_768306033_o.jpg

1980236_10202277052261009_283544672_o.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
10014403_1431835290397282_2015852563_o.jpg

My favorite shot I took. This alleyway looks like a detailed section of a linear game but it was just a random spot with no relevance to the story.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Yeah, the attention to detail in the city in Second Son is amazing. It's funny, because people nitpick the fuck out of the game's visuals, but ultimately, this is a first generation PS4 title. We are in for a really impressive generation.

Man, those infamous shots are unreal. Its crazy how detailed everything looks……..man…….can you imagine what Rockstar is going to do with their next red dead and grand theft auto on these new consoles???

Screen%20Shot%202014-03-30%20at%203.04.23%20AM.png

I don't have PS so I have no ambition of enhancing my screens in any way. It's just that some of the screens in this thread are amazingly clean. That doesn't necessarily mean they have been photoshopped or enhanced in any way, but it just made me curious as to whether it was against thread rules or not to do so.

Anyway, a few more inFamous SS screens:

ilnb6aVOtDY1T.jpg

iYVguziujYz9u.jpg

ibcOIjUKmQ5LsH.jpg

I'm don't have PS so, I have no ambition of enhancing my screens in any way. It's just that some of the screens in this thread are amazingly clean and give off some weird results in photoforensics. That doesn't necessarily mean they have been photoshopped or enhanced in any way, but it just made me curious as to whether it was against thread rules or not to do so.

What are these results?
And in general, games use postprocess filters for some time now, that isn't really far off compared to photoshop. It's not the same as clone stamp jagged edges away but if you look at sweetfx on pc, there isn't really much of a difference anymore. Game looks to sharp to be gameplay? Enhanced in PS or just sweetfx? etc.

Bishop89

The ability to transfer to a USB, is that possible yet? I wanna wait till then to post some screens.

Also, I have realized that the majority of the screens I have taken are not going to be good because of the 'screenshot taken' icon is in a lot of them :(

The ability to transfer to a USB, is that possible yet? I wanna wait till then to post some screens.

Also, I have realized that the majority of the screens I have taken are not going to be good because of the 'screenshot taken' icon is in a lot of them :(

I think that function will come in the next firmware update. I have about 130 images of infamous waiting to be uploaded too :).

Top Bottom