• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Cess007

Some pics using twitter:

BaNh_oFCYAEMKXl.jpg:orig

Baa_DOTCAAAWcJr.jpg:orig

BayHdwLCQAAam33.jpg:large

I didn't know about the PS App method, i will give it a try : )

KiraXD

okay so i dont know whats going on with the game... but if you move ever so slightly while taking the screen shot... it will remove almost all jaggies... i dont know if its motion blur smoothing things out or some kind of motion AA going on... but here look:

heres a static screenshot
ihumFQNdfRuVk.JPG

heres one moving ever so slightly
iIEEMEse3909f.JPG

i assume its motion blur... but nothing is blurry so it looks pretty good.. iono.

Timu

okay so i dont know whats going on with the game... but if you move ever so slightly while taking the screen shot... it will remove almost all jaggies... i dont know if its motion blur smoothing things out or some kind of motion AA going on... but here look:

ihumFQNdfRuVk.JPG

iIEEMEse3909f.JPG

i assume its motion blur... but nothing is blurry so it looks pretty good.. iono.
Both TMAA and FXAA are at work it seems.=p

Ranger35

Neo Member
My%20Great%20Game%20-%20My%20Great%20Capture%20-%202013-12-07%2008-12-25.png
My%20Great%20Game%20-%20My%20Great%20Capture%20-%202013-12-07%2008-10-57.png
My%20Great%20Game%20-%20My%20Great%20Capture%20-%202013-12-07%2008-15-44.png

Not sure what's up with the last pic, using elgato so probably something related to video playback.

I'm using my own site to host these, I know they are resized but I don't notice any compression. I'm sure someone with high IQ standards will see something, let me know plz :)

Cuyejo

ihumFQNdfRuVk.JPG

iIEEMEse3909f.JPG

wow, nice find, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can shed a light on this.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I would feel guilty about killing an in-game whale. I wanted to be a marine biologist as a youngster.

Timu

The game's AA has a temporal component that uses previous frame data to smooth out edges. When you're moving there's more temporal data to use.
Yeah it's using TMAA. Basically it's apply AA as you move to avoid seeing jaggies in motion, and goes away when it's not needed.

wow, nice find, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can shed a light on this.
I would say anti-aliasing techniques fall into three main types nowadays (in descending order of quality): supersampling AA, geometric AA, and post-processing AA. Supersampling means rendering the whole image at higher than the target resolution, then scaling it down. This provides really good averaging out of pixel colors at hard edges--which is the point of AA--but is computationally expensive. (The only console game I know of which uses it is Okami HD on PS3.) Geometric AA has the engine define the edges of polygons early in the rendering process, and then figure out how to effectively blur them. It looks quite good for those edges, but less good for other types of jaggies introduced by textures, effects, etc. It's also somewhat expensive. Post-processing/shader AA renders almost everything, then uses algorithms to find the contrasty edges in the image. These are then blurred. It's generally the cheapest method computationally, but it's not as effective with polygon edges as the other AAs, and some methods can add unwanted blur across the entire image.

Temporal AA is a subtype of post-processing AA. Instead of trying to find the edges in just a single frame, it looks at successive frames too. That allows it to find jaggies more accurately (they're contrasty in more than one frame), and to create a better compromise for each pixel to smooth them out. And it doesn't smear the entire image like other types of post-processing AA, or like motion blur.

KiraXD

I would say anti-aliasing techniques fall into three main types nowadays (in descending order of quality): supersampling AA, geometric AA, and post-processing AA. Supersampling means rendering the whole image at higher than the target resolution, then scaling it down. This provides really good averaging out of pixel colors at hard edges--which is the point of AA--but is computationally expensive. (The only console game I know of which uses it is Okami HD on PS3.) Geometric AA has the engine define the edges of polygons early in the rendering process, and then figure out how to effectively blur them. It looks quite good for those edges, but less good for other types of jaggies introduced by textures, effects, etc. It's also somewhat expensive. Post-processing/shader AA renders almost everything, then uses algorithms to find the contrasty edges in the image. These are then blurred. It's generally the cheapest method computationally, but it's not as effective with polygon edges as the other AAs, and some methods can add unwanted blur across the entire image.

Temporal AA is a subtype of post-processing AA. Instead of trying to find the edges in just a single frame, it looks at successive frames too. That allows it to find jaggies more accurately (they're contrasty in more than one frame), and to create a better compromise for each pixel to smooth them out. And it doesn't smear the entire image like other types of post-processing AA, or like motion blur.

interesting... thanks!

Timu

Yeah that's a great explanation about AA as well, hope to see more TMAA in games.

ihumFQNdfRuVk.JPG

iIEEMEse3909f.JPG

Interesting.
Nice find.

@ Reign_Of_Rain

Are you using the Game Capture HD of Elgato?

You mind telling me if you use "best" quality setting with 1080p capturing and , if that is the case, is that running without hick ups on your computer (specs? cpu?)

I'm doing a little personal research on that.

kinggroin

Banned
You guys notice that Killer Instinct turns AA and some lighting effects off when you hit the home button? So odd. I imagine its to lessen the load on the system to keep the UI running smooth.

Top Bottom