• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy - Review Thread

Plum

8-9 is where I expected it to land so I'm fine with this. With Odyssey so far away and Yooka-Laylee being a bit naf it's nice to have a brand new 3D platformer to play.

Kraq

IGN - "Largely standing the test of time mechanically"

And the numbers seem to be in the 8's, which is pretty good. Remakes and remasters tend to score lower than the originals, for example Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD are two of the more notable ones from the recent past. If it stays at about 82 or so, I'd chalk this down as a solid win for Crash (and it's fans).

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
lol wow what a shit review at Gamespot....gives it a 6 and his main gripe seems to be the sometimes abrupt spikes in difficulty. Isn't that what old school platformers were all about? We didn't need hand holding and checkpoints every 3 feet. Don't the remasters include more checkpoints and better saving? Yet he conveniently leaves that part out after whining about the difficulty. Sorry they're too hard for you lmao. Barbie Horse Adventures might be more up your alley.

benzopil

GameReactor -- 6/10

+
Looks and sounds incredible, A lot of replayability for completionists, Time trial feature and leaderboards added to all three titles.
-
The mechanics haven't held up by today's standards, Deaths sometimes feel unfair, Not enough content for those not inclined to replay levels.

Metro -- 7/10
In Short: No matter what you think of the original games these are an excellent trio of remasters, that will please existing fans and help to create new ones.
Pros: High quality remaster that improves everything from the graphics to the controls. Good value for money and Crash still has a lot of charm.
Cons: The original games were always very simplistic, and they seem even more limited today. Racing sections are particularly poor.

dracula_x

Seems like the only issue is that it's still a Crash Bandicoot game. So, if you just wanted the original formula, you'll probably be fine. If you expect a modern and up-to-date 3D plateformer, it might not be the best choice.

Disagree. It holds up very well to me. I didn't play original games in the 90s, but I bought 3 games several months ago (on PS3 as PSX classics) and had a lot of fun.

Daffy Duck

Erm that's weird. This is also the same guy who took part in GameSpot's Uncharted 4 spoilercast without finishing the story which I thought was dumb...

Looks like he only got half way through his review before giving up too. Obviously a personality trait.

Necro900

We're totally gonna focus on gamespot for the rest of this thread right

Ok, no, reading other outlets now, and it looks like the game deserves far more than 6 short paragraphs and "it's old at heart". I don't think that review deserves to be mentioned anymore. A big outlet like GS could've used more effort, though, even just to motivate the score better and critique the game more thoroughly.

hitme

Expected mid-low 80s,but will still buy tomorrow.

Isn't there a day one patch? I hope it fixes the loading times.

MrBadger

Had a mini heart attack seeing the 6/10 review right at the top. It's good to see the consensus is positive over all

Fantastic reviews so far:

Uyyc.png

The ceiling for this type of game is an ~85 MC. I predicted an 81. Looks like it's going to meet everyone's expectations. Super hyped!

Marcel

It's Crash. Fans know what they're getting and it's primarily made for those fans. Review scores aren't going to keep them away.

So both low scoring reviews I read mainly complain about difficulty.

Uh..

"Not enough content for those not inclined to replay levels."

What Am I reading?

Three remakes in one package for $40.

Not enough content.

Swarley

Seems like the GameSpot reviewer was expecting a complete re-imagining and not an actual straight up remake. Oooookay...

Guymelef

What Am I reading?

So low-mid 80s. Wasn't expecting otherwise from reviewers

It's more or less exactly what people were expecting, although some did predict an average in the 70's. The only classic Crash game that has a Metacritic average is Warped, and that's at a 91. GameRankings has all three in the 80's. So, this is really in line with even the original releases.

So these reviewers saying "deaths unfair" and "difficulty spikes", did they only play the first game and then called it quits? Because the series is remembered mainly for Crash 2 and 3. Everyone knows the first game has issues.

What Am I reading?
3 games for less than the price of 1.
Not enough content my dude.

oti

Banned
Giving these games a 9 is total nostalgia.

They weren't even a 9 when they originally came out.

It's definitely interesting especially compared to the really lukewarm response the DuckTales Remaster got a few years ago. But you know. Three solid platformers for under 40 Euros is pretty nice. And it looks great.

Top Bottom