• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy - Review Thread

yavebg

Neo Member
I never played the original games back in the day. If the biggest flaw is that it seems dated from a gameplay side I dont know if it will be worth it to buy without the nostalgia factor

So the Gamespot guy only played through half of each game?

Yep, he says so himself:

"Peter stayed current with new Crash games during the PlayStation's life span; playing the N. Sane Trilogy marks the first time he's revisited the series in almost 20 years, and he played roughly halfway through each game in the collection."

And man, what a half-assed review this is. Barely over 600 words; I've written more than that in an hour of college essay writing, and even then I had no idea what I was writing about.

Basically, "it looks good, but it's also dated platforming." Nah bruh. Played Crash 3 in its original format 3 years ago and it still towers over pretty much every 3D platformer that doesn't have 'Mario' in the title. (that goes for Crash 1 too but that one's way more divisive)

Scotia

Banned
"Not enough content for those not inclined to replay levels."

What Am I reading?

Shit like this is why I normally don't read or trust reviews. Some of the reasoning behind the scores are absolutely moronic at times.

That first game is pretty bullshit

Sure by today's standards. But I think there is something inherently great about being able to nail a level with no deaths and stuff. I do agree that we have come a long way since the days of trial and error platforming, but I am guessing the devs were trying to split the difference with keeping it faithful vs redesigning everything.

LordKano

It's definitely interesting especially compared to the really lukewarm response the DuckTales Remaster got a few years ago. But you know. Three solid platformers for under 40 Euros is pretty nice. And it looks great.

DuckTales Remastered had a lot of issues, both on visual and gameplay side. I still liked it, but I don't think it's in the same case as Crash Remastered, which is a straight up remake without changing anything but the visuals.

HeavenlyE

What Am I reading?

It doesn't even feature Crash Bandicoot: Mutant Island for the BlackBerry, 40$ is clearly a rip off

Reviews positive and negative basically summarize as

"Its an excellent remaster of the original crash trilogy if you liked those games you'll like this, but if you didn't or think they haven't aged well then this collection won't change your mind"

timberger

Haha, when I heard about the Gamespot review, I thought they were all going to be like that. Guess not. Glad to see it seems good.

Do any of the reviews mark down the score because the game isn't on Switch like what happened with Persona 5? :)

Scotia

Banned
Yep, he says so himself:

"Peter stayed current with new Crash games during the PlayStation's life span; playing the N. Sane Trilogy marks the first time he's revisited the series in almost 20 years, and he played roughly halfway through each game in the collection."

And man, what a half-assed review this is. Barely over 600 words; I've written more than that in an hour of college essay writing, and even then I had no idea what I was writing about.

Basically, "it looks good, but it's also dated platforming." Nah bruh. Played Crash 3 in its original format 3 years ago and it still towers over pretty much every 3D platformer that doesn't have 'Mario' in the title. (that goes for Crash 1 too but that one's way more divisive)

Wait, Gamestop reviewer only played half-way through each game? Fuck that review then, it doesn't exist to me. If he can't be bothered to finish the game then I'm not going to acknowledge his review.

Yep, he says so himself:

jesus christ

sigh

Marcel

Yep, he says so himself:

Plays games as a job and can't even finish more than half of each game and then proceeds to fart out a review like an undergrad who needed to write the paper the night before.

You can't make this shit up. What a joke.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
So is the save system still bullshit in the first game or not?

*Splinter

Glad to see it's reviewing well but

lol wow what a shit review at Gamespot....gives it a 6 and his main gripe seems to be the sometimes abrupt spikes in difficulty. Isn't that what old school platformers were all about? We didn't need hand holding and checkpoints every 3 feet. Don't the remasters include more checkpoints and better saving? Yet he conveniently leaves that part out after whining about the difficulty. Sorry they're too hard for you lmao. Barbie Horse Adventures might be more up your alley.
I think this is really what I come to review threads for.

Giving these games a 9 is total nostalgia.

They weren't even a 9 when they originally came out.
Don't mean to go too crazy or off the wall here but maybe it's not some kind of blind nostalgia but maybe, and stay with me here, it's an opinion.

Like, you just shared yours and then, like, maybe he's paid to give his?

Maybe neither of you are wrong, you just have a different opinion?

Burbeting

Banned

What Am I reading?

They aren't exactly wrong. If you just clear the levels without wanting to do 100% runs, each game in the trilogy can be completed in 2-3 hours if you are good.

xviper

i agree with Gamespot

i love crash, especially CTR

but when you remake a game, you don't just improve the visuals and call it a day

the controls are terrible, they haven't changed\improved them

Sometimes it feels like Mario is the only platforming mascot GAF likes and anyone else like Sonic or Banjo or Crash are old and outdated and should not exist in modern gaming or whatever.

Top Bottom