• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy - Review Thread

"Not enough content for those not inclined to replay levels."

What Am I reading?

Lack of content didn't stop him giving ARMS an 8/10 though, despite the £45 asking price. :p

Edit - I was wrong, I thought that was from the Metro review and it's not. You can safely disregard this.

jennetics

From the Gamespot review
Enemies rarely react to you, preferring instead to follow pre-determined paths and animation loops. And many obstacles are needlessly discouraging; Razor-thin tolerances for success and one-hit deaths make for a frustrating pairing.

...what exactly was he expecting?

Would he dislike a Mario game where goombas walk back towards you after you've jumped over them?

HardRojo

They aren't exactly wrong. If you just clear the levels without wanting to do 100% runs, each game in the trilogy can be completed in 2-3 hours if you are good.
Which is north of 8 hours of playtime, if you're good, that is, so most likely 10 hours and then you have trophies and relics which will definitely take longer because of their difficulty. The content is there, especially for $40.

MrBadger

They aren't exactly wrong. If you just clear the levels without wanting to do 100% runs, each game in the trilogy can be completed in 2-3 hours if you are good.

But this isn't a full price game. And that's still plenty of play time for someone who isn't a completionist.

Joffy

Neo Member
Mine's just arrived, can't wait to get started!

Of the reviews I've read, none have really gone into the new features though. I'd like to have a bit more detail on how the save system works etc, as going back to the first one it can be really hard to collect everything with such a punishing save method.

So you get a 9-hour game for 40$.

Sounds like a great fuckin' deal to me.

Enemies rarely react to you, preferring instead to follow pre-determined paths and animation loops. And many obstacles are needlessly discouraging; Razor-thin tolerances for success and one-hit deaths make for a frustrating pairing.

Has he never played a platformer?

Like, what is this?

Sounds good so far. Think might my cousin might enjoys these games. And i never got to play Crash 3

Wouldn't be surprised if Crash will be the best-selling platformer this year.
Depending on how the Switch does with its stock problems.

Mario Odyssey will most likely be the best selling platformer

HardRojo

From the Gamespot review

Would he dislike a Mario game where goombas walk back towards you after you've jumped over them?
Lol did they really play the originals? And why is 1 hit death a bad thing? That's how it worked in several games from back then, that's why you got the masks. Let's just not focus on that one review please.

MattAces

From the Gamespot review

This is meant to feel and play like the old games. And that was how old game works with the lack of AI. Like, that's the charm of it...

Excellent, better than expected reviews. Not that reviews would have stopped me from buying in this particular case. There was always a chance some would have docked points for the games old fashioned mechanics. Glad most critics are onboard though.

oti

Banned
DuckTales Remastered had a lot of issues, both on visual and gameplay side. I still liked it, but I don't think it's in the same case as Crash Remastered, which is a straight up remake without changing anything but the visuals.

I really liked it too but I remember how people were down on it because of its ancient design. Crash isn't as ancient but compared to something like Mario Odyssey it's pretty ancient.

But eh, I don't really care. I'll play this 100%.

Burbeting

Banned
To the people quoting me, I agree that it's great value. I always go for 100% clear in crash games, and I'm sure the trilogy will take me at least over 20 hours to do everything.

I just said that I get the pov of the reviewers saying there isn't that much content for casual players.

HardRojo

To the people quoting me, I agree that it's great value. I always go for 100% clear in crash games, and I'm sure the trilogy will take me at least over 20 hours to do everything.

I just said that I get the pov of the reviewers saying there isn't that much content for casual players.
Casual players will even take longer to finish the games because of their difficulty. The point does not make sense.

Why? 60+ million PS4 install base and one of the most beloved platforming trilogy is a recipe for success.

Sure, but Mario releases this year on Switch. Although the install base is nowhere near PS4 levels, so you could be right.
Not sure how much of the install base has Crash nostalgia, but i'm sure it will be a lot.

Also, there are other platformers.

As someone who's never played this series aside from a demo disk of the first one, these scores don't scare me away at all.

I expect difficulty with older games so it's no surprise to me. As long as they're spruced up enough from a technical standpoint while remaining true to what they are I'm fine.

Servbot24

Banned
Why? 60+ million PS4 install base and one of the most beloved platforming trilogy is a recipe for success.

Crash with 60 million potential customers still does not outsell Mario with 5 million potential customers (5 mil is arbitrary, don't know the actual number of Switch sales).

Lol even if you don't replay levels, ignore all optional stuff like gems and other secrets that's still like, 70+ levels not including secret ones or bosses. For 40€.

C'mon son. At least say the games were never good or somethin.

Eylos

Banned
Its a hard plataformer, would someone complain about the difficulty in bloodborne? It looks to me some critics are over criticizing or expected a change of game mechanics, when its Just old crash with good graphics

While it's easy to look at these games and appreciate the care that's gone into their presentation, actually playing them stirs up conflicting emotions. There's no way around it: they remain dated despite their fresh look. Enemies rarely react to you, preferring instead to follow pre-determined paths and animation loops. And many obstacles are needlessly discouraging; Razor-thin tolerances for success and one-hit deaths make for a frustrating pairing. You can control Crash using an analog stick now, but smoother pivots and jumps don't alleviate the otherwise stiff gameplay lurking behind Crash's goofy exterior.

From Peter Brown's Games pot review. Sounds like it was too hard for him.

LTWood12

Disappointed they prioritized visuals over frame-rate; especially since they originally showed it running at 60 fps early on.

Medicated

Neo Member
This game was always going to get a lot of mixed reviews. Some high just based on the nostalgia factor of people who loved the originals as kids and some lower ones from people who either hated the games as kids or never played them, to begin with. If people are looking for something more than a trip down memory lane I'm thinking there will be quite a few upset/bummed out people.

I can't imagine how reviews would matter for this game. It's only purpose is to replay games you already love with current visuals.

Not all that surprised. I like Crash, but Knack is a much more evolved version of Crash and Knack 2 WILL have higher reviews than this.

image.php

From the Gamespot review

Note to Nintendo in case they remake Super Mario World: koopa troopas should now ambush you with a knife whenever you appear in their field of view, otherwise don't bother bringing back a dated game.

...I mean, I guess he could rationalize this point by saying that even in Mario 64 Goombas would charge at you every time you came close? But even then, Mario 64 is a big open sandbox, so having enemies walk back-and-forth in a fixed manner would make them extremely easy to avoid. This is in direct contrast with Crash's narrow tight-spaced environments, where an enemy's predetermined moveset can be more of a pain than if he just charged at you.

This, like most games will be where I largely ignore reviews.

I played the trilogy on release and loved the games. Once a year or so we did a "pass the pad when you die" run through Crash 1 with beers.

If anything I'm happy they didn't gimp the difficulty for the lames who can't deal with it in 2017. They'll get my money for this game regardless of reviews.

For the love of god announce this for Xbox already so I can pay you!!

Sure, but Mario releases this year on Switch. Although the install base is nowhere near PS4 levels, so you could be right.
Not sure how much of the install base has Crash nostalgia, but i'm sure it will be a lot.

Also, there are other platformers.

I took Mario into account too. We'll just to wait and see how things turn out for the two games?

Crash with 60 million potential customers still does not outsell Mario with 5 million potential customers (5 mil is arbitrary, don't know the actual number of Switch sales).

I'm confused by what you've just said.

Loudninja

Gaming Age A
If you've had the hankering for platformers as of late, like I have, this set is an absolute no brainer. For $39.99 you get three of the best platformers ever made, and they're completely remade for the current gen… you can’t get a much better value than that. Sony, the past two years, has done an incredible job getting some of their older franchises redone for the current gen, and both games launched at $39.99 to boot! (Ratchet and Clank is the other title I’m referring to, which is also a great buy). Hopefully the N. Sane Trilogy brings Crash back to us for good, because replaying these fantastic titles has brought on an itch for a brand new Crash Bandicoot title, Sony and/or Activision are you listening??
http://www.gaming-age.com/2017/06/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-review-ps4/

Happy with these reviews! Can't wait to jump in tonight.

That gamespot review though. Pretty laughable, but whatever - clearly didn't click with him. Crash isn't everyone's cup of tea. If anything the reviews have been higher than I was expecting!

Zia

From the Gamespot review

It's a fundamental game design issue. The Crash games simply aren't very good.

Top Bottom