• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy runs at 1440p@30fps on PS4 Pro

MTC100

Banned
YouTube's poor bitrate is to thank for that, a lot of channels put up 60fps videos even of 30fps content to get better quality out of it. The videos are still showing 30fps. So if just seeing the "60fps" by the yt indicator made people more excited for game even though they were looking at 30fps stuff, folks need to reevaluate just how much 60fps actually matters to them.

I wonder though if youtube interpolates to 60FPS when a 30FPS video is uploaded as 60FPS there but I guess not. -Though there are some videos interpolating Breath of the Wild to 60FPS and it looks amazing, most of them are filmed from the TV that is doing the interpolation though and I wouldn't want to play myself with such have post processing enabled, the input lag mus be like hell...

The reason is double the frames.

Some folks don't even like to settle for 60 frames anymore, there's a reason I bought a 144hz monitor.

I think 60 is good enough for almost everything, sure more is always better but you'll need the monitor for it, like you have. The difference between 30 and 60 is just huge, between 60 and 120 it's still noticeable but not that much.

-MD-

I think 60 is good enough for almost everything, sure more is always better but you'll need the monitor for it, like you have. The difference between 30 and 60 is just huge, between 60 and 120 it's still noticeable but not that much.

I agree.

YouTube's poor bitrate is to thank for that, a lot of channels put up 60fps videos even of 30fps content to get better quality out of it. The videos are still showing 30fps. So if just seeing the "60fps" by the yt indicator made people more excited for game even though they were looking at 30fps stuff, folks need to reevaluate just how much 60fps actually matters to them.
That original trailer definitely had moments that weren't 30fps, regardless of whether it was some strange editing gaffe.

Trying to downplay 60+fps is pointless here. 60 is better than 30, people saw this as an opportunity for that and they're disappointed it didn't happen, especially after that first trailer.

farisr

I wonder though if youtube interpolates to 60FPS when a 30FPS video is uploaded as 60FPS there but I guess not.
Yeah, it doesn't. Only way to get 60fps on yt is to feed it a 60fps video. All the gameplay vids for crash that are uploaded that are 60fps, are videos recorded at 60fps while the game is running at 30fps, meaning there are 30 unique frames per second, no interpolating.

To be fair, some of those clips in that video hit above 30fps, clearly. Most of the gameplay in there is sub-60, but it definitely seems like they were aiming for a higher framerate at one point, based on the video.

farisr

To be fair, some of those clips in that video hit above 30fps, clearly. Most of the gameplay is sub-60, but it definitely seems like they were aiming for a higher framerate at some point, based on this footage.
the only video that contains actual 60fps footage was the og reveal, the post I was responding to was talking about recent gameplay footage that was uploaded, and that does not go above 30fps.

the only video that contains actual 60fps footage was the og reveal, the post I was responding to was talking about recent gameplay footage that was uploaded, and that does not go above 30fps.
And is there any evidence that supports the theory the footage in the original trailer wasn't actually 60fps? There needs to be comparison with recent footage.

BetaM

This is a big disappointment when multiple entries in the series were at 60fps (including one on the same engine as this).
They deserve all the flak for this (aswell as the trailers) if the only way to play this is at 30fps. It can't continue into new games either.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm still surprised CTR wasn't announced alongside this. PS4/Xbox don't even have a decent kart racer this gen, it would've sold so well. Much better than the trilogy remaster.

My hope is that the game is successful enough where they add some downloadable content. A $20 pack that that includes HD remasters of CTR and Crash 4.

CTR doesn't need an explanation. Amazing game, one of the best kart racers ever. Crash 4 had a mediocre reception but there is a really good game under the flaws. If they release a remaster that fixes the terrible loading and hit detection, I think it would be right up there with the classics.

The only other one worth remastering is Crash Twinsanity, which is legitimately a good game. But at that point, I guess they could just do a second retail release with three new games.

This is a big disappointment when multiple entries in the series were at 60fps (including one on the same engine as this).
They deserve all the flak for this (aswell as the trailers) if the only way to play this is at 30fps. It can't continue into new games either.

this is odd coming from someone with a neo cortex avatar. have you played the demo? you'll see for yourself 60 fps isnt a necessity. vv deserve only praise for the hard work and love they put into this project. they've earned my respect as well as everyone who's tried out the demo.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I wish companies would come out and say whether or not their games support downsampling on the Pro as opposed to having to find this out on our own.

My hope is that the game is successful enough where they add some downloadable content. A $20 pack that that includes HD remasters of CTR and Crash 4.

CTR doesn't need an explanation. Amazing game, one of the best kart racers ever. Crash 4 had a mediocre reception but there is a really good game under the flaws. If they release a remaster that fixes the terrible loading and hit detection, I think it would be right up there with the classics.

The only other one worth remastering is Crash Twinsanity, which is legitimately a good game. But at that point, I guess they could just do a second retail release with three new games.

Crash 4 should be a new Crash 4 that follows the spirit of the N Sane Trilogy and the original art designs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Surprised it's only 1440p. They were saying 4k a lot so I figured they were using checkerboard. Most games that are 1440p aren't claiming 4k.

bionic77

Crash 2 was one of the best games of that gen.

Haven't played those games since then. Be interesting to see how it holds up.

Too low FPS for an action platformer like Crash in 2017.
:/

Anyone who has this thought, I implore you to go play the demo at your nearest available kiosk before writing it off. GameStop/Best Buy both have it. If you're in the US at least.

That game "on this engine" you keep touting was "on this engine" two generations worth of engine revisions ago on the PS2. Stop comparing them. They're not comparable. Stop spouting that nonsense. You're basically comparing UE2 to UE4 at this point.

--

Anyways:

First of all, I've played it. Smooth, locked 30, with great motion blur. The game doesn't suffer anything.

For those of you who are for whatever personal reason put off by this, let me tell you what else the game offers:

• Unified save system. All three games feature an improved save system that has not only the regular classic Crash saving, but an autosave slot (which can be disabled for 'hardcore players'). The first game's awful 'only in certain levels and only if you complete the difficult bonus rounds' shtick is gone.
  • Unified checkpoint system. Checkpoints didn't use to save your crates in Crash 1, meaning you had to complete levels in one life to 100% the game. This is gone. To even it out and keep Crash 1 tough as nails, you're now required to complete all the bonus rounds, including the secret and notoriously difficult Brio and Cortex bonus rounds. However, bonus rounds are now replayable.
  • Crash 1's pretty terrible physics, which were completely different from 2/Warped, are a thing of the past and the gameplay is incredibly improved in N.Sane Trilogy compared to the original Crash 1.
  • New cutscenes flesh out the boss characters and give them a more apparent personality.
  • Entirely new voice acting and remade sound effects. A lot of the voice acting in Crash 1-3 was, while honestly fine, low quality even for the time. Not in terms of performance, but in terms of actual quality.
  • Time Trial mode has been expanded from just Warped into all three games.
  • For those who give a shit: Three separate platinum trophies.
  • Other new features TBA according to dev interviews.

Opa-Pa

It's honestly not. The game plays great in 30fps.

But it'd play better in 60 and it looks like a game that could run at 60.

These arguments are meaningless. The games would play just as good with PS2 era graphics too and yet no one would settle for that.

There are much more graphically demanding games running at 60fps on PS4, so I don't see the reason why this is only 30fps. This honestly hurt my excitement and would rather just rent it now.

Anyone who has this thought, I implore you to go play the demo at your nearest available kiosk before writing it off. GameStop/Best Buy both have it. If you're in the US at least.

That game "on this engine" you keep touting was "on this engine" two generations worth of engine revisions ago on the PS2. Stop comparing them. They're not comparable. Stop spouting that nonsense. You're basically comparing UE2 to UE4 at this point.

--

Anyways:

First of all, I've played it. Smooth, locked 30, with great motion blur. The game doesn't suffer anything.

For those of you who are for whatever personal reason put off by this, let me tell you what else the game offers:

• Unified save system. All three games feature an improved save system that has not only the regular classic Crash saving, but an autosave slot (which can be disabled for 'hardcore players'). The first game's awful 'only in certain levels and only if you complete the difficult bonus rounds' shtick is gone.
  • Unified checkpoint system. Checkpoints didn't use to save your crates in Crash 1, meaning you had to complete levels in one life to 100% the game. This is gone. To even it out and keep Crash 1 tough as nails, you're now required to complete all the bonus rounds, including the secret and notoriously difficult Brio and Cortex bonus rounds. However, bonus rounds are now replayable.
  • Crash 1's pretty terrible physics, which were completely different from 2/Warped, are a thing of the past and the gameplay is incredibly improved in N.Sane Trilogy compared to the original Crash 1.
  • New cutscenes flesh out the boss characters and give them a more apparent personality.
  • Entirely new voice acting and remade sound effects. A lot of the voice acting in Crash 1-3 was, while honestly fine, low quality even for the time. Not in terms of performance, but in terms of actual quality.
  • Time Trial mode has been expanded from just Warped into all three games.
  • For those who give a shit: Three separate platinum trophies.
  • Other new features TBA according to dev interviews.

this is a fantastic post. shows how much thought and effort went into this trilogy.

to think were only 29 days away from reliving a franchise many people like myself grew up with, its exciting.

I'm honestly baffled the Pro doesn't offer 60 fps experiences more often (not knocking the console, but rather some of the decisions by the devs). This game pretty much has no business being locked at 30, this is very disappointing.

If even Hip Hop Gamer immediately says "it doesn't matter, look at it in action," it says a lot if you care about the framerate of a stylized cartoon linear platformer.

Gee if Hip Hop Gamer said that I guess I have no option but to change my opinion on the subject!

Tagg9

I'm honestly baffled the Pro doesn't offer 60 fps experiences more often (not knocking the console, but rather some of the decisions by the devs). This game pretty much has no business being locked at 30, this is very disappointing.

It's not difficult to understand - in the vast majority of titles, it's the CPU that is restricting developers from pushing 60fps. And the PS4 Pro only has a very minor increase of clockspeeds over the base PS4. And I believe it will be a similarly small jump for the Scorpio in this regard as well.

Charamiwa

Banned
The Jak and Daxter collection is 60fps
The Uncharted collection is 60fps
The Last of Us remastered is 60fps

And now this one isn't. You can see why some people would be annoyed. And if it really isn't important for a "game like this" does that mean they were wrong to target it for all the other games?

Anyway, I'm disappointed. The main reason for remake/remaster to me is better performance and resolution. That's why I loved the Dead Rising HD games from last year, despite them being really low effort. 1080p60 is mainly all I need. But the devs have a different set of priorities I guess.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Listen at 2:25. https://youtu.be/Rp_NbsW8wyY

I would have loved to play this trilogy at 60fps so it's a bit of a bummer to hear. I guess locking it at 30fps is more faitful to the original trilogy... But hey, i'm still buying this trilogy in a heartbeat!

This and WipEout Omega Collection makes this month truly awesome for the nostalgic PlayStation gamers. ;-)
Don't forget Tekken
This month is bringing all that nostalgia back.

alexbull_uk

The Jak and Dexter collection is 60fps

And now this one isn't. You can see why some people would be annoyed. And if it really isn't important for a "game like this" does that mean they were wrong to target it for all the other games?

Anyway, I'm disappointed. The main reason for remake/remaster to me is better performance. That's why I loved the Dead Rising HD games from last year, despite them being really low effort. 1080p60 is mainly all I need. But the devs have a different set of priorities I guess.

To be fair, Uncharted and TLoU are both shooters, where 60fps genuinely is far more important.

It's fine to be disappointed. I'd been hoping they were 60fps too. But, with the kind of game this is I really don't think it'll make that much difference.

The Jak and Daxter collection is 60fps

Anyway, I'm disappointed. The main reason for remake/remaster to me is better performance and resolution. That's why I loved the Dead Rising HD games from last year, despite them being really low effort. 1080p60 is mainly all I need. But the devs have a different set of priorities I guess.

None of those are (almost) complete remakes though. This one is.

This doesn't hamper my excitement for this remake -- I've played the demo a fur few times up at Best Buy and it handles mostly well, looks great, and, well, it 'feels' like Crash Bandicoot.

Kinda wish it was 4k, but 1440p won't kill my enjoyment either.

Anyway, I'm disappointed. The main reason for remake/remaster to me is better performance. That's why I loved the Dead Rising HD games from last year, despite them being really low effort. 1080p60 is mainly all I need. But the devs have a different set of priorities I guess.

None of those collections entirely redid their graphics from the ground up for the new console, so I don't know how valid a comparison it is :V On top of that, I feel like you can word the "performance" comment better, because N. Sane Trilogy performs better at its resolution and frame rate than the originals do at theirs. Regardless I feel you, even if I disagree.

It's not difficult to understand - in the vast majority of titles, it's the CPU that is restricting developers from pushing 60fps. And the PS4 Pro only has a very minor increase of clockspeeds over the base PS4. And I believe it will be a similarly small jump for the Scorpio in this regard as well.

Oh you're right, that bit on the Pro architecture is very disappointing and it will be sad if it's the same with Scorpio. But even then, I sincerely doubt this game couldn't run at 60 fps, it just seems like this is not a goal people really care about and I really do so yeah it sucks.

this is a fantastic post. shows how much thought and effort went into this trilogy.

to think were only 29 days away from reliving a franchise many people like myself grew up with, its exciting.

I've waited 19 years. 29 days is nothing!

But it already exists. Wrath of Cortex is Crash 4.
Wrath of Cortex sucked. The art, level design and music was boring in comparison. The physics and load times wasn't the only problem with that game.

The first two GBA games were closer to the spirit of the originals.

Oh you're right, that bit on the Pro architecture is very disappointing and it will be sad if it's the same with Scorpio. But even then, I sincerely doubt this game couldn't run at 60 fps, it just seems like this is not a goal people really care about and I really do so yeah it sucks.

My suspicion is that the 30fps necessity is dictated less by the graphics themselves and more by the actual program. We can sit and idly comment on the graphics (which I think are great) all we want, but none of us know what's going on under the hood. We don't know what they needed to do to make this work, we don't know how the levels need to be streamed, anything of that nature.

But it already exists. Wrath of Cortex is Crash 4.

As someone who loves the entire original series' canon, you got to be outcho damn mind if you think they aren't going to count this as a reboot anyways :V

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wrath of Cortex sucked. The art, level design and music was boring in comparison. The physics and load times wasn't the only problem with that game.

The first two GBA games were closer to the spirit of the originals.

Okay, but it was Crash 4. This wasn't about Sterogatari's personal opinion on the game. :p

You're exaggerating a bit anyway. It's not an amazing game but the level design was actually solid. I played through it again recently and it holds up well. The biggest problems were the technical issues (loading, hit detection) and the fact that it didn't do anything truly new. At the time, it just felt like, "Oh. Another Crash."

farisr

And is there any evidence that supports the theory the footage in the original trailer wasn't actually 60fps? There needs to be comparison with recent footage.
What? I said some of the footage in the og reveal is 60fps. Why would there need to be theories that says footage in the trailer wasn't 60fps, you can literally download the file and count the number of unique frames per second, there's definitely stuff in the og reveal that runs at 60fps. Did you maybe misunderstand my post or something?

Caayn

But that isn't factual. I play Destiny and Overwatch. I think Destiny plays better.
Are you serious? You're comparing two completely different gameplay systems. And yes, Destiny would also play better if it was 60fps.

Hektor

But that isn't factual. I play Destiny and Overwatch. I think Destiny plays better.

It is factual.

That one 30 FPS game feels better to you than an entirely different 60 FPS games isn't an argument, because there are a lot of other factors that affect this as well. Compare the same game running once at 30 FPS and once at 60 FPS.

My suspicion is that the 30fps necessity is dictated less by the graphics themselves and more by the actual program. We can sit and idly comment on the graphics (which I think are great) all we want, but none of us know what's going on under the hood. We don't know what they needed to do to make this work, we don't know how the levels need to be streamed, anything of that nature.

Absolutely, I'm not coming at the devs with pitchforks and I'm still going to buy this collection because it looks good and I'm a sucker for platformers and who knows, maybe we'll get a Spyro N. Sane thingy someday. It's just that it feels like there's a clear philosophical indifference towards making 60 fps a standard, which I disagree even if this being 30 fps won't affect my enjoyment. I get it might not feasible for this collection, but it's just something I'd love.

Top Bottom