• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 8 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

PezDispenser said:
"quite arguably" implies that you aren't very confident in your opinion, even less so than if you had just used a plain "arguably".
I find it very difficult to rank one as best since the show has had so many great seasons. There is literally no way in hell this season could be defined as weak. It's unquestionably wrong.

Conversely, quite arguably the best in fact implies you have a stronger belief that it could be argued than simply using arguably.

hiryu

Yep, best season of Curb. I got my roommates into this show solely based on how loud I was laughing this season.

Fantastic finale.

Larry + Leon = BFFs

I'm glad they just did a half-hour finale. I've never been terribly fond of the hour-long finales. Curb works best in a half-hour format.

Oreoleo

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
They have to do a season 9, if only to show Larry returning to his LA house and whatever destroyed, ruined state Leon left it in.

They sorta dropped this after the first couple episodes, but didn't he lose the house to Cheryl in the divorce? ("I got Sweded!")

sangreal

Orellio said:
They sorta dropped this after the first couple episodes, but didn't he lose the house to Cheryl in the divorce? ("I got Sweded!")

He bought a new one which Leon was living in while Larry was in NYC. Until he got sick of the roommate and joined Larry

Oreoleo

sangreal said:
He bought a new one which Leon was living in while Larry was in NYC. Until he got sick of the roommate and joined Larry

Did they show the interior of the house at all? I don't even remember seeing it. Not that I'm doubting you.

Chris R

Orellio said:
Did they show the interior of the house at all? I don't even remember seeing it. Not that I'm doubting you.
Ya, it was there in a bunch of episodes (During the first period fiasco, and after the sex scene in Palestinian Chicken (where Marty comes in wearing his Kippa).

sangreal

rhfb said:
Ya, it was there in a bunch of episodes (During the first period fiasco, and after the sex scene in Palestinian Chicken (where Marty comes in wearing his Kippa).

The period fiasco was in the old house (That's why he had the tampons), but he moves out at the end of the episode. They had a whole episode devoted to his new house (The Safe House)

Oreoleo

rhfb said:

Oh, herp derp. Yeah you are totally right. That scene in Palestinian Chicken was so gut-bustingly funny it didn't even register that that was his new house. Good call.

And since it was brought up, any chance that Larry's delivery of "Problem?" in that scene was a nod to troll face? Even if it wasn't, it's immediately what my mind went to.

That was a really enjoyable season. J.B. Smoove dominates every scene he's in. There is an interesting sense of innocence to his character, so when he says outlandish shit it just makes it work so much better.

Michael J. Fox is about to be Michael J. Fucked up in a minute.

Chris R

sangreal said:
The period fiasco was in the old house (That's why he had the tampons), but he moves out at the end of the episode. They had a whole episode devoted to his new house (The Safe House)
Oops i guess you are right. And yea i totally forgot the safe house stuff.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
sangreal said:

What? Roomate? What roomate?

Hahahaha

Cathcart

"Why would he hand me a dick?"

God that was great. Not my favorite episode of the year but still really good stuff, I'll definitely rematch it soon.

Did we ever find out what Leon meant by the roommate back in LA? I kind of figured the season would end with Larry returning home to find someone else there but maybe they're saving that for next year.

Meier said:
Conversely, quite arguably the best in fact implies you have a stronger belief that it could be argued than simply using arguably.

Totally don't want to get into a cranky internet fight here, but consider:

- Something that is not arguable is a solid fact that can't be challenged
- Something that is arguable is open to argument
- Therefore, if something were to become MORE arguable, I'd imagine that would mean the arguments would become more complex, with each side being more difficult to prove (hence more of an argument).

I can see what you're driving at, but according to Google's definition:

ar·gu·a·ble Adjective/ˈärgyo͞oəbəl/
1. Able to be argued or asserted: "an arguable case for judicial review".
2. Open to disagreement; not obviously correct: "a highly arguable assumption".

the state of being "arguable" would not be a property of a particular side of a debate, as you seem to have interpreted it, but rather a property of the debate itself. The synonyms for "arguable" are listed to be: debatable, disputable, questionable, and controversial. Swap any of these into your original sentence and I think you'll see what I mean.

I think you may be confusing it with a word like "demonstrably" - the state of being demonstrable is a property of a particular side of a debate, that reflects its ability to be proven conclusively.

/totalweirdo

I <3 Larry David

Was playing poker today and won a pot with a marginal hand. Guy at the other end of the table says he thought I had a monster because my hand was shaking. I just deadpanned "That was a Parkinson's shake"

The dealer cracked up but the rest of the table sat in silence thinking I had Parkinson's. Tried to explain but there weren't any Curb fans at the table.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Still my most favorite scene from last night...soo good.

in0Zh8ADevhMG.gif

Greg needs to come back.

Awesome episode, cracked up when it all came full circle, I never get tired of Larry. As far as the season goes in general, some new legendary moments to add to the list lol.

Man that kid, amazing. I wish they had used him more often lol.

And Leon is still king, everything he says is just so funny.

Bring on season 9!

Meier

PezDispenser said:
All I can assume is that you're unfamiliar with the usage of the word arguably especially within the context of "arguably the best." It means one would argue on its behalf aka make a case for it and if you were to use quite in front of it, it means you could make a very strong case.

i.e. Michael Jordan is arguably the greatest basketball player of all time.

Superimposer said:
You crazy?

I don't think the Michael J. Fox episode was the best this season. It's probably #3 or #4, but it has seemed patchy. I've been watching Curb for about 4 years, I haven't seen them all, but this was the first season I watched every episode in order, and I thought around half of them were not great, just okay.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Death Dealer said:
I don't think the Michael J. Fox episode was the best this season. It's probably #3 or #4, but it has seemed patchy. I've been watching Curb for about 4 years, I haven't seen them all, but this was the first season I watched every episode in order, and I thought around half of them were not great, just okay.

Agreed. The parts with Greg were great (albeit veering into wildly absurd territory very quickly) but the rest didn't do much for me. Lots of obvious jokes and some brutal stretches to reach them. The previous episode with Buckner was probably the closest thing this season had to perfection, but even then there were chunks of it that fell flat (lookin' at you, car seat gag). Still, this was a heck of a lot better than season 7, which was the absolute worst ever.

CrankyJay

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
Agreed. The parts with Greg were great (albeit veering into wildly absurd territory very quickly) but the rest didn't do much for me. Lots of obvious jokes and some brutal stretches to reach them. The previous episode with Buckner was probably the closest thing this season had to perfection, but even then there were chunks of it that fell flat (lookin' at you, car seat gag). Still, this was a heck of a lot better than season 7, which was the absolute worst ever.

You thought the Buckner episode was better than Palestinian chicken?

Meier

Palestinian chicken is right up there with Crazy Eyez for best all time.

Whenever Time Warner and HBO pull their heads out of their collective asses and give us HBO Go as well, I think I'll do a full series re-watch. I have a bunch on DVD but it's so cumbersome. :mad:

The Buckner episode while very funny, was way too predictable.

Thought it was another great season overall. LD has not disappointed yet, hope he keeps it going.

I miss her because she had great chemistry with Larry. It's cool the show is doing a fresh approach, but yeah, she is missed.

Plus she got hotter every season. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom