• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Seda

Let's stop with the GAF hivemind comments (as well as meta-commentary of hypothetical events) please. Not only is it a pointless exercise but it's derailing the thread.

Do continue to discuss your opinions on what this rumored collaboration could mean for Microsoft and how it may affect marketplace competition.

Those are definitely not mutually exclusive.

I don't see the bad in this move though. Like, at all.

I guess if you look at it like MS is forcing something you don't want in every box to justify the higher price, then yeah, maybe. But MS wouldn't do that.

I think reasonable people don't see this as a negative. I don't. Free game is a free game. However, I think it does open up an interesting discussion about how effective this is, and also about the state of pre-sales in Europe for the Xbone to trigger such a move. That's where I think most of the discussion is taking place.

Personally I think it is a waste of money if in fact we are to believe MS and that preorders for the Xbone are sold through, because then they are just giving away games to people already buying. However, if we look at other reports that show how the PS4 is outselling the Xbone everywhere, in some areas 8-1, then perhaps they aren't selling through stock and needed something like this to try and catch up. Even then it is fair to question the viability of that tactic.

It's clearly footnoted.
Still, that doesn't explain including Destiny in that exclusive list.
Let's stop with the GAF hivemind comments (as well as meta-commentary of hypothetical events) please. Not only is it a pointless exercise but it's derailing the thread.

Do continue to discuss your opinions on what this rumored collaboration could mean for Microsoft and how it may affect marketplace competition.
Thanks.

Thank you.

The complaining was washing away the decent comments.

McLovin

If it was an exclusive it would have been a major blow to the ps4, but this isn't actually that big a deal. Unless you were planning on getting Fifa and you really wanted the kinect 2. If you just wanted Fifa then you can get the ps4 cheaper.

Drek

So purely out of principal, we should ignore any good will at this point?

This isn't good will, this is a bribe. It's how MS has planned to push the XB1 all along.

Don't like DRM? Well XB1 has Halo, bought timed exclusivity of Titanfall, etc. They then saw that those weren't enough to overcome DRM and backtracked, but originally their presumption was that consumers were all mindless whores who'd bend over in order to play a handful of worthwhile titles.

It's the same as their perpetual deal for CoD timed exclusivity on new content, the similar deal they struck for GTAIV content last generation, and what they've now paid for with both Battlefield 4 and FIFA.

None of this adds to the industry. None of it creates new meaningful content. Shit, it doesn't even employ more developers. It builds arbitrary walls and that's it.

MS' strategy to win video gamers is powered by cash handouts and lawyers. Sony's is powered by new game budgets and developers. Why does it surprise you that a hardcore community like NeoGAF can see through their bullshit and therefore refuses to take the bribe and forget just how anti-consumer they are, were, and will continue to be?

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Like many already have stated, it does not make any sense to bundle FIFA14 with Xbox One, if you can get the same game + PS4 for cheaper (considering that Xbox One will be more expensive).

I can easily imagine MS and EA struck a deal of X time next-gen exclusive (but that it anyways would be release on current gen machine).

Because we can easily assume that EA will earn the most from their 360/PS3 versions thanks to installed base.

So, in order for this deal to be the most effective would be I don´t know, 6 month to 1 year exclusive on next gen, meaning that no FIFA14 on PS4...

Something like this it has to be, anything else would not make an impact...
EA will anyways laugh all their way to the bank thanks to the millions in sales they will do in 360/PS3/Pc platforms.. + the money MS must have spent for it.

EA can´t lose doing this..

but yeah, we need to see what kind of deal this is..

Why does it surprise you that a hardcore community like NeoGAF can see through their bullshit and therefore refuses to take the bribe and forget just how anti-consumer they are, were, and will continue to be?

Ultimately this does not matter one bit, never has.

The Xbox One will be a hit.

Destiny isn't exclusive. MS has been doin this shit for awhile now.

Yeah I thought he meant Titanfall, my bad. Could be a mistake? Oh, it's Microsoft it can't be?

Nymphae

Banned
Just as saying they caved on the DRM policies carried negative connotations with it (Xbox 180 moniker).

How exactly does saying they caved on DRM carry negative connotations? To me it's positive news. The only negative here is that they stared us straight in the eye and said you are going to take this and love it and there is no other way (DRM, Kinect), only to go back on their words again and again. That's worth some negativity in my book, and ANY company would be hearing it if they did the same. But still, the changes are positive and most rational people here see that.

Even so - will Amazon even bother ordering copies of FIFA 14 for X1 now it comes with every console?

Yes, given that we still don't know what this applies to.

Be assured that if this FIFA 14 pack-in eludes Asia ( also big on FIFA ), MS is once again asking to forget ever being relevant here. ( obviously they don't care, so whatever )

What countries are getting this? How long? Any 'caveats'? Restrictions?

Iacobellis

Like many already have stated, it does not make any sense to bundle FIFA14 with Xbox One, if you can get the same game + PS4 for cheaper (considering that Xbox One will be more expensive).

I can easily imagine MS and EA struck a deal of X time next-gen exclusive (but that it anyways would be release on current gen machine).

Because we can easily assume that EA will earn the most from their 360/PS3 versions thanks to installed base.

So, in order for this deal to be the most effective would be I don´t know, 6 month to 1 year exclusive on next gen, meaning that no FIFA14 on PS4...

EA will anyways laugh all their way to the bank thanks to the millions in sales they will do in 360/PS3/Pc platforms.. + the money MS must have spent for it.

They better fucking not do this. I was looking forward to playing FIFA on my shiny new PS4 come October.

I don't want to be argumentative but I'm curious why MS would choose to do this over a price cut

So possible reasons I can think of (please suggest any rational alternatives):

1. Don't want to drop price as you are stuck at that price or lower
-> I.E. They can always take the pack-in game out at some point to cut costs
2. Want the promotion to be region-specific so a price cut would look bad versus other regions but a free pack-in game other regions don't care as much about maybe not
-> Mainland Europe has always been a hard xbox sell so Fifa helps I'm sure
3. Somehow this deal is cheaper than a price cut. Game is 40 GBP or higher.
-> Certainly would get wholesale prices as it'd have to be a deal for several million licenses right?

Other thoughts?

Good on them for trying to paper over the cracks with a game and if it actually works then I guess it was worth it. I wonder how much money they'll lose with this little stunt.

I don't necessarily love MS, but I do find it nice that they are actually attempting to increase the perceived value of the X1. The hate on both sides is unbearable to me. Fanboy-ism is a MASSIVE waste of time and energy.

Ya i agree. If you look at what xone included just a few months ago and what it includes now, its a much better product and not to mention much better value. What started has 100$ more for something people apparently didnt want is now 100$ with a game and kinect. Add to that the included headset, the 180 no one seemed to like and some people are still desperately reaching to find a reason to hate on it. Its fucking sad coming from people in this forum. NeoGaf was supposed to be better than that. Guess not.

Vire

This isn't good will, this is a bribe. It's how MS has planned to push the XB1 all along.

Don't like DRM? Well XB1 has Halo, bought timed exclusivity of Titanfall, etc. They then saw that those weren't enough to overcome DRM and backtracked, but originally their presumption was that consumers were all mindless whores who'd bend over in order to play a handful of worthwhile titles.

It's the same as their perpetual deal for CoD timed exclusivity on new content, the similar deal they struck for GTAIV content last generation, and what they've now paid for with both Battlefield 4 and FIFA.

None of this adds to the industry. None of it creates new meaningful content. Shit, it doesn't even employ more developers. It builds arbitrary walls and that's it.

MS' strategy to win video gamers is powered by cash handouts and lawyers. Sony's is powered by new game budgets and developers. Why does it surprise you that a hardcore community like NeoGAF can see through their bullshit and therefore refuses to take the bribe and forget just how anti-consumer they are, were, and will continue to be?
You can't make this stuff up...

Has to be bad viral marketing. HAS TO.

Ark

Whatever happens, EA and Microsoft in-bed together is not good for the industry.

Sony needs to start getting similar deals on Ubisoft/TakeTwo titles. Third-party games shouldn't come to this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I don't think their FIFA license would allow them to not release on PS4.

RulkezX

Yes, given that we still don't know what this applies to.

Be assured that if this FIFA 14 pack-in eludes Asia ( also big on FIFA ), MS is once again asking to forget ever being relevant here. ( obviously they don't care, so whatever )

What countries are getting this? How long? Any 'caveats'? Restrictions?

Still not convinced this isn't just for the countries that recently got delayed.

Would make sense if you add in Greenberg's tweet about the "Wait and see at GamesCom" when he was asked about the delay.

Dabanton

Pretty big move. Not sure how much it'll help given a PS4 + Fifa is still £40 cheaper, for a more powerful machine, just minus the camera, which the majority of people don't even care about. The bigger thing here is PS4s release headstart which gives the PS4 what?, two weeks of Fifa all to itself?

Intrigued to see how this pans out.

I'm sorry I have to comment how do you know that the majority of people don't even care about the camera for the PS4?

You're not the first person to say it on here but the people who do, say it with such confidence they must have some secret figures on next gen that everyone else hasn't.

Vire

Whatever happens, EA and Microsoft in-bed together is not good for the industry.

Sony needs to start getting similar deals on Ubisoft/TakeTwo titles. Third-party games shouldn't come to this.

They have?

Exclusive content for Assassins Creed 4 and Watchdogs.

Yeah I thought he meant Titanfall, my bad. Could be a mistake? Oh, it's Microsoft it can't be?
Really, a mistake? When they put the time and research into putting the TItanfall footnote and the fact that they have been doin this shit for awhile now? Come on.

Yeah this worries me the most, I don't think there's any company more transparent with their greediness than ea/ms in the industry. Yes I know every company is greedy, but there's some stuff that is just pure cash grab.

Irminsul

I don't see the bad in this move though. Like, at all.
I wouldn't call it bad, just a bit... weird.

I don't know how many people are of the "I like the Xbone more – not €100 more, but certainly €40+FIFA more" type, but at least in my opinion, it can't be that many.

On the other hand, the deal with EA probably isn't cheap and MS can risk alienating retailers (depending on what they're doing on that front).

It just doesn't seem worth the hassle. Okay, maybe it works, but I personally don't see anyone persuaded towards a Xbone who was really undecided before.

I'm sorry I have to comment how do you know that the majority of people don't even care about the camera for the PS4?

You're not the first person to say it on here but the people who do, say it with such confidence they must have some secret figures on next gen that everyone else hasn't.

Poster in question doesn't care = everyone doesn't care.

RoKKeR

Explain to me how it's "not good for the industry", disregarding this rumor because it is, as stated, a rumor. Is timed BF4 DLC really going to make YoY sales decrease? Get studios closed down? Game projects cancelled? Come on now, what basis do you have for a claim like that?

The part of the rumor I don't see discussed much is the bit about possibly the US getting a pack in game as well. If this move costs Microsoft money then it is going to cost Sony as well as they certainly can't let MS toss in a pack in game in two major territories at launch. I expect some sort of announcement before launch.It also pushes Sony to pay for a mega seller to match MS. I just hope gamers get their free game Day 1 and don't have to wait for it as this all seems a bit rushed.

It's clearly footnoted.

Or it's a mistake.

Jesus, wind it in.

Except it says this...

The best Xbox platform exclusives: Halo, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome, Forza Motorsport 5, Sunset Overdrive, Destiny1

It's not only on Xbox 360 or Xbox One, it's also on PC. So that alone makes it false.
It's also on PS4 (and maybe PS3? Idr). So labeling it as an "exclusive" is just straight up bullshit.

It's bullshit like them claiming to be the "most powerful console ever made."

2jH08I9.png

"But da cloud." Except, not all Xbox's are guaranteed online now. Not only that but IF they were allowed to include the "cloud" processing as part of the in box product description, Google would be able to list any and every android phone as the most powerful as they have the largest "cloud" network in the world.

But they don't, because they aren't full of shit.

Yes, I'm mad. It's blatantly wrong and yet they keep trying to get away with this shit.

They have?

Exclusive content for Assassins Creed 4 and Watchdogs.

I think he meant deals of a similar scale.

Ubisoft and Sony are obviously good friends, sharing a couch, eating popcorn together. MS/EA are super-tight.

If The Division is a timed PS4 exclusive, then we can start talking about it being 'similar deals'.

Top Bottom