• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
But buying a PS4 + FIFA is still cheaper right? Is this just people think, "Hey for $40 more I get a motion tracking camera?" and that's supposed to make people choose Xbox over PlayStation?

I don't get it either. Plus MS has shown they're not even all that sold on Kinect these days. :p

DieH@rd

Banned
In the most extreme case.... retailers could easily start putting discounts on their PS4+Fifa14 bundles, after all they cant buy off and resell digital copies of the F14 that will be given to the Xbone users.

I dont think that would happen. The most aggressive thing I thing may happen is larger advertising presence of PS4 inside stores, but even that is not likely to happen.

RulkezX

Now imagine if it ends up being a Kinect game after all this FIFA hysteria.

I doubt my phone battery is going to last the day tomorrow :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Here's the deal. Had MS said they were going to pack in something like Ryse or Forza, then yes, it would be a generous, great move and would change some things.

They chose to pack in FIFA, a game that (a) will have been released almost two months after the XB1 releases, and (b) potentially already released on the PS4 for several weeks. It is a game with a fast shelf life, as are many sports games. The PS4 is still a cheaper option even if you buy FIFA and PS+ along side it. And it follows MS decision to delay the XB1 in many Euro countries, putting the FIFA pack in back till 2014, which is absurd.

We don't have all the facts of course, so maybe this will be a better value proposition if MS got EA to delay FIFA PS4 until the XB1 is released. But as a pack in game, this is business wise a fairly stupid move. MS thinks that gamers will wait patiently until the XB1 is out to get their FIFA fix. I say that's silly, but we'll see once we have more info tomorrow. It's not hard to see why people would think this isn't a touchdown hail mary pass to win the Super Bowl.

Is the gamestop upgrade thing done outside of the US? Not sure on that, but it seems 360 -> XB1 only, and would be a pretty nice deal on FIFA...though I also guess pointless if it's a pack in? Haha. It does seem weird business wise, but it does help close the price gap.

It's the internet man. I know his tone was extreme but that's how some people type. And yes I can definitely see some saying something similar (well maybe not with Peggle like extreme example...well I dunno, some do hate the KZ franchise lol)

I dislike the Killzone franchise, quite a lot.

However I have the sense not to shit up a thread just to make a subjective point; mainly because I would probably get banned.

schuey7

No, this bundle can attract people that are undecided.

Well some people may prefer the Xbox to the PS4 but the price differential was previously too great .Now if they were looking at buying FIFA then the difference has been reduced tremendously and may get them to get the Xbox One. It is not impossible that some people prefer one console over the other.

The Flash

Banned
Microsoft offers free pack in game:

"Reeks of Desperation"
"Panic mode!"
"It doesn't change anything"

Sony offers free pack in game:

"I LOVE YOU SONY"
"Wow Sony is really generous"
"GAMECHANGER"

Careful there friend. Them's fightin' words round these here parts.

Good for consumers but now MS pissing off retailers?

It does reek of desperation somewhat though. They know it's too expensive (though anyone remember "we are over-delivering on value"?) and Kinect isn't making up for that extra value to most people. Now are trying to up the value by packing in a big third party release as well to somewhat offset that. But it's one of the big games coming this fall that is now eliminated from making any money for those retailers.

I'm not sure it's such a great thing for EA either (other than the big bonus they will have got upfront). It dilutes the value of the game and potentially they could be worse off vs how many they would have sold?

I wonder how long this pack in game offer will stand for, just launch or until they eventually reduce the price?

It's an interesting move, that yes does add value to the user... but at the same time, people who don't want Fifa might be thinking they are being forced to buy it (like Kinect) in which they see the high price as higher than it should be because of a game they don't want.

Hmmm... interesting indeed.

Moobabe

Depends how pissed off they are about this whole thing, and what MS is doing to 'make up for loss sale.'

If MS offers a very compelling trade discount/package, then retail wouldn't mind so much. Might still be pissed off though, since this obviously came out of nowhere and spoils the market in a way.

If MS isn't offering a trade package to support this deal, then MS is asking to be the 'retail public enemy no.1 in Europe.'

I'd imagine they have to provide something for retail - but doesn't this affect everything? Amazon, Supermarkets, Game, HMV etc etc

B.O.O.M

I dislike the Killzone franchise, quite a lot.

However I have the sense not to shit up a thread just to make a subjective point; mainly because I would probably get banned.

eh I don't think it really shits up the thread ..unless we let it. Just ignore him. and I absolutely agree with you that he could have worded it better

xk0sm0sx

Microsoft will sell a surprising amount of consoles due to this. Most gamers don't care about such console warring and will simply go "Wow FIFA comes with the console, I'm getting XBox 1 and Halo/Call Of Duty".

I'm going to guess Microsoft is going to pull quite good numbers against Sony if the typical gamers are ready to move into next-gen.

If they announced a lower price and/or drop kinect, no one would try to spin that into a negative. They are getting all the flack they deserve.

No chance. You would have "LOL another 180! Back peddling! They should have done it earlier - too late!"

It's happened at every "positive" change so far.

Skeff

Depends how pissed off they are about this whole thing, and what MS is doing to 'make up for loss sale.'

If MS offers a very compelling trade discount/package, then retail wouldn't mind so much. Might still be pissed off though, since this obviously came out of nowhere and spoils the market in a way.

If MS isn't offering a trade package to support this deal, then MS is asking to be the 'retail public enemy no.1 in Europe.'

Well they'd have to cut it significantly as the £40 I suggested is very expensive for day one fifa, it has been known to be a £25 loss leader in the uk. £40 will likely be the standard retail price.

nib95

Banned
Pretty big move. Not sure how much it'll help given a PS4 + Fifa is still £40 cheaper, for a more powerful machine, just minus the camera, which the majority of people don't even care about. The bigger thing here is PS4s release headstart which gives the PS4 what?, two weeks of Fifa all to itself?

Intrigued to see how this pans out.

Garjon

Well I'll make clear that it's just one buyer saying that his retailer wasn't consulted. MS may have consulted with others, but given the scale of the retailer in question IMO if they haven't been invited to the table then no one has.

Oh okay. Still though. I wonder when this deal was actually made.

Yes it could. If it's bundled with every xbone then it becomes the defacto Fifa machine, and the CoD exclusivity for DLC will make it the CoD machine too. With the only 2 games that matter in the UK being on either every xbone or with better dlc support, then it'll won the UK.

Also, why wouldn't they make it titanfall? It'd be a guaranteed way to get the title played and establish it as an exclusive. Then it'll have the 100% attach rate that'll sure interest in the sequel.

And if both CoD and FIFA are available on PS4 before the Xbone launches, what then?
The fact is, the PS4 hardware is still the less expensive option, more people will purchase it, and so this idea that the Xbone will be 'the machine' for those two games is delusional.

Good for consumers but now MS pissing off retailers?

It does reek of desperation somewhat though. They know it's too expensive (though anyone remember "we are over-delivering on value"?) and Kinect isn't making up for that extra value to most people. Now are trying to up the value by packing in a big third party release as well to somewhat offset that. But it's one of the big games coming this fall that is now eliminated from making any money for those retailers.

I'm not sure it's such a great thing for EA either (other than the big bonus they will have got upfront). It dilutes the value of the game and potentially they could be worse off vs how many they would have sold?

I wonder how long this pack in game offer will stand for, just launch or until they eventually reduce the price?

It's an interesting move, that yes does add value to the user... but at the same time, people who don't want Fifa might be thinking they are being forced to buy it (like Kinect) in which they see the high price as higher than it should be because of a game they don't want.

Hmmm... interesting indeed.

It doesn't reek of desperation, it reeks of a desire to increase profitability and install base. This is a business, and they make decisions that will afford them the greatest opportunity to make profit. A free game is a free game, no matter how you shake it. FIFA or Ryse or DR3. Free is free. And it is hard to complain about free.

Nymphae

Banned
Thanks for taking a small bit of my post and harping on it. Really shows your objectivity.

No problem. Not harping or taking anything out of context, just making another point. Didn't know I had to address everything you said.

And honestly, I disagree with you. Because had MS price dropped the X1, you would have people here saying that they "caved" and giving them crap for it. Just as they did when the DRM policies were changed. A fanboy is a fanboy, no matter what news may be presented to them.

No chance. You would have "LOL another 180! Back peddling! They should have done it earlier - too late!"

Saying they caved or 180'd would not be spinning the news into a negative. It would be making an accurate point. It would still be a positive change.

Iacobellis

Sony hasn't offered a free pack in game. They offer Instant Game Collection which offers free games over the course of the whole generation. They have been doing this since PS3 and did it with Vita. And yes Instant Game Collection is incredible. Free FIFA is not a negative either, it is good also, but of course Instant Game Collection is way better than what MS offers for free. Lets not forget Gold is more expensive than PSN+ too.

PS4 already has F2P's out the ass.

It doesn't reek of desperation, it reeks of a desire to increase profitability and install base.
Those are definitely not mutually exclusive.

I don't see the bad in this move though. Like, at all.

I guess if you look at it like MS is forcing something you don't want in every box to justify the higher price, then yeah, maybe. But MS wouldn't do that.

Yup.

Just had a small chat.

Main points.

Retail are going to be shellshocked tomorrow if it pans out like this, they have had no notice of anything like this. Losing one of their main SKUs for this year means they will be asking for a larger trade discount on XB1 according to him to make up for lost revenue. He also says that they will still use the PS3/360/PS4 version as a loss leader in the first week of sale.

like I said. I have a hunch this wont happen. The game wont be FIFA.

DISCLAIMER: Im no insider, nor do I claim to be privy to insider info.

cmgfender

Banned

With you on this one.

The amount of "its the DRM thats making me not get an xbox one" on GAF when they first announced it was absurd.

And as soon as they fix a problem its something else.

Microsoft doing so well the last gen is what made sony do what they are doing right now. The ps3 launch and sony at the e3 before spawned more gifs and dumb moments that only compare to ronnie drums. Now sony is making the right moves.

I get when people spend a lot of money they need to justify the purchase to themselves but the better microsoft competes with sony the more everyone here wins.

Doffen

The hardcore FIFA players in Europe have been on PlayStation since forever, and Kinect isn't going to push them over the edge here. It's still cheaper for them to buy a PS4+FIFA.

I'm sure it will win some people over, but not enough to totally take over.

Now, if FIFA was exclusive...
it isn't.

Ps4 + Fifa = 4048 NOK
Xbox One = 3990 NOK

Nafai1123

Banned
Tensions are high up in here. Gamescom is upon us and with it comes yet another week of meltdowns, thread battles, bans and bickering.

aTTckr

The only way this move could be somewhat successful is if MS made an agreement with EA that they release next gen Fifa only once the X1 is also released. If the PS4 is released in October and Fifa too, why would anybody who wants Fifa wait until the X1 is out?

Microsoft offers free pack in game:

"Reeks of Desperation"
"Panic mode!"
"It doesn't change anything"

Sony offers free pack in game:

"I LOVE YOU SONY"
"Wow Sony is really generous"
"GAMECHANGER"

LOL exactly what i was thinking. I sence a lot of hate towards them simply because MS can afford all of this. Im lovin it!

No problem. Not harping or taking anything out of context, just making another point. Didn't know I had to address everything you said.

Saying they caved would not be spinning it into a negative. It would be making an accurate point. It would still be a positive change.

Yes, it would be. Just as saying they caved on the DRM policies carried negative connotations with it (Xbox 180 moniker). You need to re-evaluate your position on consumerism and understand that money is the endgame here. Any perceived increase in value will enable MS to create a larger install base. That is what they are doing now. This is business 101 here. Value and NOT price is what drives sales (more directly perceived value).

I'd imagine they have to provide something for retail - but doesn't this affect everything? Amazon, Supermarkets, Game, HMV etc etc

It does affect everything, which makes it a kind of tough animal to manage.

Though it's not the big retail/markets that MS should be worried about, it's the smaller retailers that is being supported by the distributors. Traditionally these small guys get far less of a 'trade discount' compared to the big boys due to difference in volume, so it's of a far higher risk to them than say... Amazon.

Theecliff

Banned
me too, was very kind of them.
I actually just looked it up, apparently they were giving it away to the first 500,000 people to sign up to PSN after the European launch. Must have been part of that first 500,000 then, despite not signing up for it straight away! It was a strange and unexpected kind gesture - and I can only imagine a deal like this for Microsoft will be great for those looking to buy the Xbox One at launch.

The only way this move could be somewhat successful is if MS made an agreement with EA that they release next gen Fifa only once the X1 is also released. If the PS4 is released in October and Fifa too, why would anybody who wants Fifa wait until the X1 is out?
Don't say that, you're persecuting the Xbox fans. Sony favouritism etc.

LOL exactly what i was thinking. I sence a lot of hate towards them simply because MS can afford all of this. Im lovin it!

I don't necessarily love MS, but I do find it nice that they are actually attempting to increase the perceived value of the X1. The hate on both sides is unbearable to me. Fanboy-ism is a MASSIVE waste of time and energy.

I get when people spend a lot of money they need to justify the purchase to themselves but the better microsoft competes with sony the more everyone here wins.

I wonder what other cards MS have left to play though. The said they got something exclusive gameswise at gamescom.

Moobabe

It does affect everything, which makes it a kind of tough animal to manage.

Though it's not the big retail/markets that MS should be worried about, it's the smaller retailers that is being supported by the distributors. Traditionally these small guys get far less of a 'trade discount' compared to the big boys due to difference in volume, so it's of a far higher risk to them than say... Amazon.

Even so - will Amazon even bother ordering copies of FIFA 14 for X1 now it comes with every console?

Top Bottom