• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

I can see why MS would do something like this and I can see why people would be taken with the idea. But I'm not a fan of this sort of practice. Same with paid for exclusivity, timed DLC and so on.

What's not to be a fan about? MS is digging into their pockets to give a free game. It's not exclusive to the system so anyone with a 360/PS3/PC/PS4 can play it as well. MS is just rewarding those that choose their system. I fail to see anything to be criticized here.

Corto

FIFA 14 on the PS4 will be delayed then? If PS4 does indeed release on October, Microsoft must pay for delaying that version to capitalize on this offer.

Paches

Well Peter Moore did leave Microsoft to head EA's Sports Division back in the day. Perhaps Ballmer is calling in a favor that he owes him.

Ballmer: Hey Peter, remember when you told me you owed me a favor? Can we have Fifa 14 as a free game with every Xbone in Europe?

Moore: Sure, we can just write off tens of millions in lost profit no problem!

Yeah, I don't think so.

What's not to be a fan about? MS is digging into their pockets to give a free game. It's not exclusive to the system so anyone with a 360/PS3/PC/PS4 can play it as well. MS is just rewarding those that choose their system. I fail to see anything to be criticized here.

To me this seems like the beginning of EA getting close in bed with Microsoft - see Ultimate Team as an example, or Battlefield, both getting exclusive content only on Xbox.

Drek

So theyll not buy the system cause of something they 180'd on before the system even launched and is no longer relevant, but will keep buying the phones that people are jumping out windows for. Good job humanity. You never cease to amaze me.

Compare the outrage towards SOPA/PIPA, PRISM, etc. and people attempting suicide in China. The later was a blip that Apple had to handle PR for and almost no one dug in deeper to find that most Chinese goods are made in similar factories. The former group both had massive outcries. In the case of PRISM it's over the reveal of the government's ability to spy on you, with no tangible proof that they have in fact been spying on you, yet people are still raging about it (with cause to be sure). I think we have plenty of proof that any suggestion of a negative impact on the self far outweighs any real negative impacts on others, especially when those others are a nebulous group in another country.

Raide

FIFA 14 on the PS4 will be delayed then? If PS4 does indeed release on October, Microsoft must pay for delaying that version to capitalize on this offer.

Pay who? MS have possible paid EA enough to announce a delay for any number of reason.

Fifa would fit and MS have used Fifa to leverage things before...it just sounds so crazy for them to attempt it. Stoke of genius or horrible waste of money.

Einbroch

Banned
Great deal for both MS and EA. And at the same time a new all-time low set for both MS and EA.

This is interesting. Why do you think this?

Microsoft is paying money so that their early adopters get a game for free, and EA is likely getting money from Microsoft to do so. They may even be losing potential sales dollars as I seriously doubt Microsoft is paying EA what they would have gotten if they just flat out sold the game for the Xbone.

This nets Microsoft huge European presence and EA gets some cash and probably a huge marketing push. Win-win. No one loses. Gamers don't lose, that's for sure.

To me this seems like the beginning of EA getting close in bed with Microsoft - see Ultimate Team as an example, or Battlefield, both getting exclusive content only on Xbox.

EA and MS have been in bed for a while now. It's amazing just how badly Sony has screwed their relationship with EA given where they were when the PS2 launched and how they bandied together to tank the Dreamcast. It could very well be Peter Moore remembering those not so fond days at Sega NA when he had to put up with EA turning their backs on Sega.

Trevelyon

But they're just giving a free game away, that's all. Everything's wavy gravy, no harm, no foul. So PS4 users wait a month or so out of nothing but because this deal was made, no biggie.

Why are people upset?

Alebrije

-This is HUGE for MS. What better way to get a foothold in Europe and garner positivity for the console

-EA got paid and gets its game put in the forefront of a huge console release? Nothing but win for them.

- This is what happens with healthy competition. Sony with ps+ wouldn't be where it was at without XBL. The PS4 wouldn't be where its at without the xbox360. And now, Xbone wouldn't be where its at without the PS4. Both consoles look absolutely enticing now, can't wait

- It's a console war and all and there's a lot of spinning and jealousy going on, but can we all understand that consoles are just that, consoles. THey aren't human beings that actually have feelings. BE HAPPY FOR PEOPLE that gets a free game, stop with the haterade

How you dare. Some times at midnight when everyone is sleeping I can hear that my PS3 has a Farcry inside it...

So the console is only going to be released in a portion of Europe, but where it does they get soccer.

They should see how many people in North America want a free soccer game.

The Flash

Banned
Ballmer: Hey Peter, remember when you told me you owed me a favor? Can we have Fifa 14 as a free game with every Xbone in Europe?

Moore: Sure, we can just write off tens of millions in lost profit no problem!

Yeah, I don't think so.

Oh but I think so ergo #truthfact.

Krakn3Dfx

I dunno, it would be cool if they actually spent that money on real game development as opposed to just paying off a publisher for some sort of deal on an existing title.

I question whether or not MS knows they'll be in 2-3 years with the XBO, are they going to actually fund some internal game development, or will they still be riding on timed exclusive games and DLC? Is that something gamers want, because it's just about all we're seeing out of MS at the moment when it comes to their next gen console, a lack of confidence in original content being offset by timed exclusives and throwing money at 3rd party pack-ins.

imtehman

Banned
Great deal for both MS and EA. And at the same time a new all-time low set for both MS and EA.

This is another day at the office for EA. REmember no EA for Dreamcast? But i guess you can consider it a good thing, because of that the greatest NFL game ever made happened.

Raide

I dunno, it would be cool if they actually spent that money on real game development as opposed to just paying off a publisher for some sort of deal on an existing title.

I question whether or not MS knows they'll be in 2-3 years with the XBO, are they going to actually fund some internal game development, or will they still be riding on timed exclusive games and DLC? Is that something gamers want, because it's just about all we're seeing out of MS at the moment when it comes to their next gen console, a lack of confidence in original content being offset by timed exclusives and throwing money at 3rd party pack-ins.

Maybe they are front-loading the launch by buying these publishing deals, so the unit count sold will actually be high enough for more developers to get on board. Fifa, CoD, Halo etc will keep them riding high for ages and they will throw in titles as they see fit.

We should get BF4 for free!

Personally, I would prefer BF4 in the EU too. Damn footyballs.

gtj1092

I know this is Battle season but what's the big deal? Hasn't there been both 360 and Ps3 FIFA bundles in the past? I can't see how this is the end of the world for people on both sides of the fence. A pack in game is always good but if its not exclusive its not going to make people forget FIFA 14 is available for ps4. And get a grip for the people calling a partnership between ea and ms evil. This can only hurt you if they block FIFA on ps4. Heck this rumor hadn't even been confirmed lol.

Why do you think this?

It is just the general morality of how far do I go of making my failed attempt of a console a success. It surely sounds like a delicious deal and seems like a win for gamers. But it feels wrong because MS think they can solve all their problems with just throwing enough money everywhere and EA just standing there sucking it all in. I know that is the way the world goes around, but the more I see of this travesty, the more I am siding with Sony, because they work hard in comparison to get the favor of the gamer.

Nope. I'd rather they spend the money to give me an extra game than spend it on a game I would have to pay for in the future.

Vire

It is just the general morality of how far do I go of making my failed attempt of a console a success. It surely sounds like a delicious deal and seems like a win for gamers. But it feels wrong because MS think they can solve all their problems with just throwing enough money everywhere and EA just standing there sucking it all in. I know that is the way the world goes around, but the more I see of this travesty, the more I am siding with Sony, because they work hard in comparison to get the favor of the gamer.
This is some seriously twisted logic.

Free games is breaking a code of ethics and morality?

Today I learned: Some people on GAF are borderline insane.

Chris R

I guess the retailers are happy about this as well as it get people to buy a Xbone and potentially buy more games from them down the road? Unless they get a cut of this deal too?

I think you're forgetting just how little was announced when the 360 and the PS3 first launched. Eventually we ended up getting some incredible games from both consoles. The E3 following a new gen's launch is normally when new franchises are announced and where the next 2-3 years will be fleshed out. Until then, just go with the console you feel has a solid first year launch lineup.

I know this is Battle season but what's the big deal? Hasn't there been both 360 and Ps3 FIFA bundles in the past? I can't see how this is the end of the world for people on both sides of the fence. A pack in game is always good but if its not exclusive its not going to make people forget FIFA 14 is available for ps4. And get a grip for the people calling a partnership between ea and ms evil. This can only hurt you if they block FIFA on ps4. Heck this rumor hadn't even been confirmed lol.
This is the launch of the console. As opposed to bundles later on in the systems life cycle. Their not going to buy a new system in the middle of the generation just for that game, but at the beginning, they may be more inclined to get Xbone over PS4 because it comes with the game they want.

I still don't get the drama about MS and EA being evil for throwing a free game in a console bundle.

it's just a free game, it could've been any other game, and it's just a business deal which any other manufacturer could do as well, Sony or Nintendo. if MS can afford the investment, good for them, good for the people interested in getting FIFA and XB1. I don't see the problem here.

about the release date, first we should wait for the release date of both platforms, then we'll see the release date for the next-gen versions of FIFA, because they're different from the PC-current gen ones.

Raide

Oh boy everyone gets the foosball.
8eafc982e8a8.jpg

imtehman

Banned

oh will you stop that please. Sony did the exact same stuff before because they could get away with it. They hamstrung the market with their stuff from previous gens, AND THEY TRIED TO DO IT AGAIN WITH THE PS3. Forcing gamers to adopt blu-ray and 599.99

This could either be a brilliant move by MS or a terrible waste of money. I'm impressed with their gamble though. MS has always believed whoever starts in the lead stays there.

How is it a failed console?

Top Bottom