• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Steroyd

Is there somewhere I can look up sales to install base ratio comparatively?

Is FIFA bigger in Europe than Madden is in the US?

According to wiki:

Wiki said:
FIFA 13 sold more than one million copies (1.23 million units in 48 hours) in the United Kingdom in its first week of release (the fourth game to do so after Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3),[37] [38] and topped the UKIE charts on all formats week ending September 29, 2012.[39] 4.5 million copies were sold worldwide in five days, with 7.4 millions units sold four weeks after its release, which makes the game the biggest videogame launch of 2012 and biggest sports videogame launch of all-time according to EA.[40][41] As of May 2013 FIFA 13 has sold 14.5 million copies

Zophar

A reminder that the Sega Saturn at one point came bundled with four free games while at price parity with the PS1, and the original Xbox with two even at price parity with the PS2.

Pack-ins do very little to treat for sticker shock.

JWong

Banned
Wow, how much money is Microsoft forking over for this?

It literally needs to be in the hundred millions of dollars of moneyhats.

leadbelly

Banned
Maybe it comes with a catch.:p

-Four teams
-Four stadiums
-Pay to get the full game

I'd laugh my head off it turns out to be something like that.

I think the PS3 proved price does not matter. People will buy what they want. Look at android vs iOS. The price gap between the to systems isn't even as large as last time. We still have no idea how this generation will shake out and probably won't know for a couple years.

If this turns out to be true then looks like I will be playing FIFA this year. For me FIFA games have gotten to the point where it's basically the same irritating crap every year. But you can't argue with free.

Seems like a smart move.

abadguy

Banned
Can someone please explain to me why money hatting is such a bad thing?

It's pretty much what any business with half a brain should do. Purchase content that you think your user base/potential new customers want to bring in that all important cash.

If they have the money... why not?

From what i've seen so called "moneyhatting" is only a "bad thing" depending on which company is doing it.

Satchel

Banned
Yes, because it takes "math" to know that a $500 system + free game costs more than a $400 system + $60 game.

See, this is the fucking problem. Microsoft's management would probably agree with the above quoted post. So far over the last few months they've made it quite clear that they believe the average consumer to be completely idiotic and susceptible to the most basic levels of pandering and heavy handed misrepresentations possible.

And people wonder why there is a generally negative reaction towards them.

Well, most people know what Kinect is and know what it costs on its own, so it may be $500, but it comes with a $100 (much more in other countries) camera AND a free game.

I'd say that's more what MS is thinking.

Drek

It's pretty much what any business with half a brain should do. Purchase content that you think your user base/potential new customers want to bring in that all important cash.

1. If the money hat is simply to restrict already in development content from showing up on a competitor's platform you're adding nothing to the industry, and in fact handicapping the growth of said industry by putting arbitrary walls in the way of consumers.

2. When you use money to fill short term content gaps consistently it shows a lack of long term commitment to the industry. Microsoft has already been guilty of this once where they bought exclusives to build a strong market presence last generation and then basically abandoned new content development as soon as it was convenient. Who's to say that we won't see the exact same scenario where three years from now MS is delivering nothing new once again, no longer willing to money hat exclusives, and suddenly you're stuck with an overpriced, under powered alternative to the PS4 that mandates Gold for even basic online services and shoves adds down your throat like you were a goose being fattened up for harvest?

Trevelyon

So, over/under on next-gen versions of FIFA 14 launching completely coincidently on whatever day the XBO launches in UK/EU?

Will FIFA 14 be day and date with PS4 (EU) release?

Great for X-One buyers in Europe. Savor your sweet free game ;)

Edit: What is America getting?

Tv tv tv tv, apps apps apps, sports, tv, tv

Can't stand it when Americans are crying when Europe is getting something exclusive while most of the time it's the other way around..

bidguy

Banned
So, over/under on next-gen versions of FIFA 14 launching completely coincidently on whatever day the XBO launches in UK/EU?

Will FIFA 14 be day and date with PS4 (EU) release?

i dont know what to think anymore
ea could hold out the release until the xone drops. atleast for the next gen versions.

Riky

$MSFT
Amazon UK aren't taking anymore orders for launch day, Day One edition is sold out and any orders for the standard edition after Aug 15th will be received after launch.

Satchel

Banned
Tv tv tv tv, apps apps apps, sports, tv, tv

Can't stand it when Americans are crying when Europe is getting something exclusive while most of the time it's the other way around..

Tell me about it. Americans are getting a console aimed at them almost exclusively. Something the rest of us won't be.

At least the UK gets SOMEWHERE close. Australia gets gimped hard.

Wow, desperation (but good) move by MS. Honestly don't think it's going to help much but at least they're going down swinging.

Going down? Most casuals have no idea whats been happening let alone that MS is "going down". All of this will mean nothing on launch day for the casuals.

Drek

Well, most people know what Kinect is and know what it costs on its own, so it may be $500, but it comes with a $100 (much more in other countries) camera AND a free game.

I'd say that's more what MS is thinking.

After all the bullshit they've been pushing the last few months I don't see where they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

My guess would be that European pre-orders aren't even as "good" as the N.A. ones (where the PS4 is trouncing the XB1) and doesn't even forecast to sell through in all regions. Therefore someone decided that since FIFA is the most popular title in Europe they should just pay to throw a copy of it in with every launch allocation purchase to assure initial sales success.

Yes, because it takes "math" to know that a $500 system + free game costs more than a $400 system + $60 game.

See, this is the fucking problem. Microsoft's management would probably agree with the above quoted post. So far over the last few months they've made it quite clear that they believe the average consumer to be completely idiotic and susceptible to the most basic levels of pandering and heavy handed misrepresentations possible.

While there is no way to get around the fact that PS4 will sell for $100 less than the XboxOne, I still find it quite annoying when people conveniently leave Kinect out of that pricing. You may hate Kinect, but it's still a value that you get for a portion of the cost.

And I really think it's time people stop acting like they know what Microsoft's management was/is thinking. Stop getting butt hurt over stuff that may or may not even be true. You don't like the direction MS was trying to move in? Fine. That doesn't mean they were purposely trying to screw everyone over and don't care about the consumer. I just find that laughable.

I don't understand, why not reduce the price.
Xbox One is the only premium console. I mean, just look at the price.

PS4 is fine for people who are still saving up to afford the very best. Did you know that the Xbox One is the most powerful console ever made?

/its-not-me-its-the-mindset

Oh man. That's actually a pretty major move on MS' part for the EU market. It pretty much seals the price difference between the two consoles - and creates a certain illusion of exclusivity.

Curious if they'll announce a similar Madden bundle for the US.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So if I buy an Xbone I have to pay for Kinect AND Fifa with my purchase although I don't like Kinect and outright hate Fifa? Great >.<

Going down? Most casuals have no idea whats been happening let alone that MS is "going down". All of this will mean nothing on launch day for the casuals.
Oh, the kind of casuals that have no idea what's going on (so I guess they don't even read gaming websites) will be there on launch day.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

You are getting all in a huff over this, but you know the general consumer doesn't care. They'll see FIFA 14 packed in and think it's a free game.

Sorry, that's just how people are.

Also, :lol at thinking the math won't be an issue. I teach high school students. You'd be stunned at the idiotic things I hear each day.

REV 09

The headset should have been included from the jump. They get no bonus points for doing what they should have done in the first place.

A free game is nice, but not as nice as dumping the camera and dropping the price.
Going from no headset included to including it with all xb1's is a meaningful difference to me. Also, there is a big difference between the headset they are including and the wire that Sony is giving out.

If MS had a system and controller standard bundle for $399. And then offered the $499 premium bundle with system, controller, headset, Kinect 2, and a game...then it would be interesting to see the sales of each. With the game added, it's hard to argue that they aren't at least at "value" parity with Sony. You'd be getting more for the $100 than most bundles this gen where the only difference was hdd size.

Vire

To be fair, casuals aren't the ones who are going to buy on launch.

Eitherway it doesn't really matter since both systems will absolutely sell out day one.

While there is no way to get around the fact that PS4 will sell for $100 less than the XboxOne, I still find it quite annoying when people conveniently leave Kinect out of that pricing. You may hate Kinect, but it's still a value that you get for a portion of the cost.

Kinect is not a value to me, but all of these arguments ("cheapest system wins", "most powerful system wins", "first to x million wins", etc) are horseshit anyway.

You are getting all in a huff over this, but you know the general consumer doesn't care. They'll see FIFA 14 packed in and think it's a free game.

And they will be right.

Satchel

Banned
After all the bullshit they've been pushing the last few months I don't see where they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

My guess would be that European pre-orders aren't even as "good" as the N.A. ones (where the PS4 is trouncing the XB1) and doesn't even forecast to sell through in all regions. Therefore someone decided that since FIFA is the most popular title in Europe they should just pay to throw a copy of it in with every launch allocation purchase to assure initial sales success.

Wasn't that obvious? Who was suggesting otherwise?

Jack_AG

Banned

I agree. It is used to bolster a portfolio (in this case) and offer something your competitor does not. Its why Sony bought up some hot studios. I have no issue with it. Good for people picking up an X1 they get a free game out of it. Something many + users have been enjoying for quite some time.

Here's hoping X1 fans get more free games. More competition between the big kids on the block is good for everyone.

Drek

Why do people keep saying things like this? MS' DRM ordeal was mainstream news. Basically every news outlet covered it to some degree. It received national "casual" exposure.

There is a reason why all the small sample evidence on pre-orders even in the U.S. massively favors PS4 and it's not just MSRP.

Yeah, let me stop you right there. Price is one of if not the biggest determining factor for families buying a system this fall. It doesn't matter if you pack in a free game. That price difference is going to get noticed. MS can try gas people up all day with this "perceived value", but if it's not adding anything significant to the consumer and your competitor is offering virtually the same thing, why wouldn't yo go with the cheaper alternative?

If price was the only factor then the Wii U should clean everyone's clock this holiday season, right?

Clearly it's price and content. If MS has games that the consumer wants then they will buy that system. Many families have kids that enjoy Kinect so that content is something else that could push them towards an XB1.

Barzul

It is good business, for sure but we are end users, consumers - we are not businesses.

Moneyhats, buying exclusives, exclusive DLC, timed exclusives all that jazz is bad for consumers, it reduces choice.
No it doesn't it makes you choose to buy the product that has what you want and that is not a bad thing.

Tmecha

Neo Member
Why are people getting so negative about this offer? its a win for gamers, I was buying xb1 regardless so this is a bonus:)

Why do people keep saying things like this? MS' DRM ordeal was mainstream news. Basically every news outlet covered it to some degree. It received national "casual" exposure.

There is a reason why all the small sample evidence on pre-orders even in the U.S. massively favors PS4 and it's not just MSRP.

People jumping out windows at Apple factories was also mainstream news. It really hurt those sales didnt it...oh wait, it didnt.

Top Bottom