• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Anth1888

I think many gamers in the UK who buy FIFA annually are going to buy it in the first week(s) of release and not wait for a next-gen version, a two month wait could be too long for some people.

Why wouldn't it be ready? It's fucking FIFA.

The next-gen version is actually running on a new engine, and EA has never delivered their first round of sports titles day and date with last gen versions.

Think about it, Madden PS4/One is coming out nearly 2 or 3 months after the PS360 versions.

That being said, if the PS4 releases a few weeks in advance and the game is a launch title for both, I doubt EA would pass up all that day one console money even with a MS' Moneyhat, launch buyers are notoriously voracious and FIFA is easily the number one game for both consoles in PAL.

It would have to be an absurd amount of money to delay the PS4 version to the One launch. There will be a staggered launch or both would release post-launch I think.

imtehman

Banned
If this is the case then it is a new low for Microsoft. All their PR efforts to humanise the Xbox team and show how they love games, but then they resort to dirty tactics like delaying games on other consoles.

Well sony delayed Next-gen by saying it won't start until they say it starts, why aren't you mad at them!!

Trevelyon

No way are EA or MS going to stroll out to announce a delay for the PS4 version of Fifa 14 at Gamescom. At most it will be an online delay announcement and a notification to retailers.

There's never been a date on the next gen version. So, they'll likely skate on the PS4 date awkwardness and just say it was always meant to be for whenever the XBO launches, because reasons and stuff.

Raide

I think many gamers in the UK who buy FIFA annually are going to buy it in the first week(s) of release and not wait for a next-gen version, a two month wait could be too long for some people.

Buy at launch, some trade-in offer at GAME or something to get the Xbox One Bundle cheaper. They usually do stuff with old consoles as well.

Was there not also a GAF thread about Amazon letting people trade in against the next-gen versions? Maybe coincidence.

In the UK there could potentially be PS4 retailer bundles with two pack in games that still cost less than XB1.

A bundle is not a free game. When the cost of the console is $499 or whatever it costs in Europe, and the consumer sees that at this MSRP, they are being given a free game, it is more powerful than simply bundling a game (that they will still pay for) and adding it to the MSRP.

KaiserBecks

How people even try to argue against a free game baffles me. Microsoft could ship that console with a cure for Aids and people would still complain that it doesn't cure Polio.

Anything later than console launch is a delay.

Why? Doesn't seem likely that they would have released the game on two different dates for PS4, Xbone rather than releasing both versions on the same day. It's probably true that Sony is launching in October and EA simply isn't ready at that point...

Are people genuinely not happy to receive a free game?? At launch?

The people who are upset aren't PAL gamers interested in buying an Xbox.

The only speculative downside to this would be a delay of the PS4 version, which is totally unconfirmed because a) we don't know the PS4 release date, b) we don't know the One release date, c) we don't know the FIFA next gen release date, and d) we don't know if this hypothetical bundle moneyhat stipulates any guarantees of day and date releases or timed exclusivity.

As I said above, EA knows that FIFA is probably going to be the biggest purchase for day one PS4 buyers, they'd be ceding a lot of sales to CoD/AC/Killzone etc if they were to delay it just to appease MS, not really worth the drop in marketshare on the Sony side.

fse

free one year xbox live service for day one x1 consoles would be impressive. Yet somehow around here it still wouldn't be enough...for ever reason.

nothing is ever enough
free game(s) though? I ain't mad about that.

Duxxy3

Why? Doesn't seem likely that they would have released the game on two different dates for PS4, Xbone rather than releasing both versions on the same day. It's probably true that Sony is launching in October and EA simply isn't ready at that point...

Uh huh...

imtehman

Banned
The people who are upset aren't PAL gamers interested in buying an Xbox.

The only speculative downside to this would be a delay of the PS4 version, which is totally unconfirmed because a) we don't know the PS4 release date, b) we don't know the One release date, c) we don't know the FIFA next gen release date, and d) we don't know if this hypothetical bundle moneyhat stipulates any guarantees of day and date releases or timed exclusivity.

As I said above, EA knows that FIFA is probably going to be the biggest purchase for day one PS4 buyers, they'd be ceding a lot of sales to CoD/AC/Killzone etc if they were to delay it just to appease MS, not really worth the drop in marketshare on the Sony side.

how big is CoD, AC, and Killzone in Europe though?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It still is set to release for current gen and PC in September. The only listings that changed on Amazon were for the PS4 and One.

Could someone make a thread about this and hopefully get it sorted out once and for all? I imagine a quick tweet could resolve this now.

You should wait a few hours since Sony will likely have a release list of games to go along with their release date.

hal9001

Banned
Why don't they just invest all that money in creating new studios making new IP's? What is the point of them being in the gaming industry if they are just going to pay all their problems away?

Row

Banned
By the time the XB1 is widely available in europe isn't it likely FIFA14 will have gone down in price, or at the least been on sale countless times? Would diminish the value of such a bundle quite a bit given the difference in cost of the consoles

By the time the XB1 is widely available in europe isn't it likely FIFA14 will have gone down in price, or at the least been on sale countless times? Would diminish the value of such a bundle quite a bit given the difference in cost of the consoles

how can FIFA 14 go down in price if we still don't know the release date for both of them?

Raide

Fifa 14: Ultimate Edition!

Dunlop

Not a soccer fan myself (and I am writing this from my daughter's soccer game) but it will really help their cause to emphasize whatever the exclusive mode is that non of the other versions have

SiRatul

Is MS delaying FIFA14 via EA for PS4 even possible? Wouldn't FIFA have any say in this? I don't think it's in their best interest to cut off one of their biggest sponsors like that. I'm sure there are some contracts in place for this.

Then again, money talks to everybody and if MS has one thing, it's money.

EDIT: With sponsors I actually mean Sony as in them being one of the biggest FIFA sponsors.

I don't understand 'unique exclusive'. So it's only exclusive because its bundled and will still be sold standalone on the ps4? That's not exclusive by any stretch of the term.

Raide

Is MS delaying FIFA14 via EA for PS4 even possible? Wouldn't FIFA have any say in this? I don't think it's in their best interest to cut off one of their biggest sponsors like that. I'm sure there are some contracts in place for this.

Then again, money talks to everybody and if MS has one thing, it's money.

Still coming out on PS3. The lions share of sales will comes from that, so EA could make the argument that its not a major drop to delay the PS4 version.

SPDIF

Why don't they just invest all that money in creating new studios making new IP's? What is the point of them being in the gaming industry if they are just going to pay all their problems away?

They have done. They also just happen to have enough money to do stuff like this.

It's actually surprising that Microsoft, with all the money they do have, haven't just bought whole companies like EA already.

Skeff

Still coming out on PS3. The lions share of sales will comes from that, so EA could make the argument that its not a major drop to delay the PS4 version.

Again I'll state, FIFA aren't sponsors, they are the licensee's. EA are locked into a contract, It's not their decision to make.

They have done. They also just happen to have enough money to do stuff like this.

It's actually surprising that Microsoft, with all the money they do have, haven't just bought whole companies like EA already.

There's absolutely no reason for them to do that. It would be way too much involvement and management. As long as those guys can make best-sellers, MS will continue to bankroll their DLC. As soon as people stop buying their games, MS will move on. It's a hassle-free relationship that both enjoy.

Again I'll state, FIFA aren't sponsors, they are the licensee's. EA are locked into a contract, It's not their decision to make.

EA has to release the games in the most common platforms but I highly doubt there's anything about the release dates, specially if no release date has been given yet for the next-gen versions.

People jumping out windows at Apple factories was also mainstream news. It really hurt those sales didnt it...oh wait, it didnt.

This comparison isn't even in the same ball park. Not even close. People choosing to kill themselves didn't do anything to the rights of Apple's customers. It didn't have any negative impact on their policies.

It was workers unhappy with abusive labor practices. Kinda sad and disrespectful to even bring it up considering it has nothing to do with the Xbox One, its policies, and 180s.

rouken

wow 40 pages over this? ms sure has rustled some feelings over here. but yeah this is pretty big if true, especially for those who is serious about their fifa. like the others said, if one buys a next gen fifa with an xbone then his friend will want to buy a next gen fifa with a xbone.

Top Bottom