• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

I'm sure this has probably been clarified somewhere in this thread, but is this referring to just the delayed European countries? Or every single console? It's just that I remember a story from last week about compensation for a late EU release with a free game. It just seems like Microsoft would have needed to pony up an extremely large sum of money to compensate EA for lost sales.
Also, why are the chances this'll be a download locked to the purchased console rather than a physical copy?

Zen

Banned
This doesn't seem like something that will have too much of an effect on cassuals or people who aren't planning on getting an X1, it seems like a move that will shore up their base into buying sooner rather than later.

But you're essentially buying a copy of Fifa at a 80 euro price tag.

wow 40 pages over this? ms sure has rustled some feelings over here. but yeah this is pretty big if true, especially for those who is serious about their fifa. like the others said, if one buys a next gen fifa with an xbone then his friend will want to buy a next gen fifa with a xbone.

That's not really a big deal. Xbox already trails in most of Europe, and the UK Market has been contracting lately. Almost no one who was 'on the fence' will buy what amounts to a more expensive version of Fifa with the XB1 when they could get a PS4 with Fifa (physical or digital) at a lower price anyway. This will only appeal to the base that was already commited to getting an XB1 and have very little impact outside of that range.

N.Domixis

Banned
wow 40 pages over this? ms sure has rustled some feelings over here. but yeah this is pretty big if true, especially for those who is serious about their fifa. like the others said, if one buys a next gen fifa with an xbone then his friend will want to buy a next gen fifa with a xbone.

The same can be said for those who purchase a ps4 with fifa, and since preoders for ps4 are much higher, than more people will be exposed to next gen fifa on ps4 during launch.

Bsigg12

This doesn't seem like something that will have too much of an effect on cassuals or people who aren't planning on getting an X1, it seems like a move that will shore up their base into buying sooner rather than later.

But you're essentially buying a copy of Fifa at a 80 euro price tag.

How do you figure? You're getting a free game because they are not increasing the price. Its still the full Xbox One package now with a game you're not paying for.

Zen

Banned
Because the price difference between the two consoles is 80euros. Buying a PS4 and Fifa is still less expensive than the XB1 free Fifa promotion. You're still spending more money on the same thing if you buy the XB1. This is from the perspective of the intial console purchase. If you don't want Fifa, why would it matter, and if you do, why would you spend more money to get it if you weren't planning on getting an XB1 in the first place?

TheGhosts

Banned
I can confirm that the Xbox One will be available with Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 or Need for Speed: Rivals in Europe!!!

I have preordered my Xbox One with Battlefield 4.

Vire

Because the price difference between the two consoles is 80euros. Buying a PS4 and Fifa is still less expensive than the XB1 free Fifa promotion. You're still spending more money on the same thing if you buy the XB1. This is from the perspective of the intial console purchase.

Except you aren't getting "the same thing". You are also getting a Kinect whereas the PS4 has no camera functionality built in, which is appealing to some people. Shocking I know.

Aretak

Because the price difference between the two consoles is 80euros. Buying a PS4 and Fifa is still less expensive than the XB1 free Fifa promotion. You're still spending more money on the same thing if you buy the XB1. This is from the perspective of the intial console purchase.
It's about the spin and marketing though, innit. People like being told they're getting things "free", even if there are massive strings attached.

Zen

Banned
Agreed, but I'm just saying that people are also smart enough (especially in this economy) to see through that to the bottom line. Price is one of the number one things people consider after all.

Except you aren't getting "the same thing". You are also getting a Kinect whereas the PS4 has no camera functionality built in, which is appealing to some people. Shocking I know.

You're throwing that in like a bullet point and ignoring context. Sure Kinect appeals to some people, are there enough people out there to really make a difference? No. Not if software sales are any indication. To a lot of people, probably the majority, you are getting the same thing. Kinect just falls into the 'I was leaning on XB1 anyway' and those people make up a minority at least at this stage.

So like I said, this is about shoring up their base and nabbing the few people that were leaning Xb1 (not many apparently), but this won't have a broader impact.

Fifa being exclusive would be 'huge' but that's not what we're seeing.

jayu26

Ok photoshop gaf clearly this needs to have balmer and Moore shopped onto it perhaps in a heart with them looking into each others eyes?
7Hz5faE.png

Spoilers dude!

ari

Banned
You're throwing that in like a bullet point and ignoring context. Sure Kinect appeals to some people, are there enough people out there to really make a difference? No. Not if software sales are any indication.
If kinect is bundled, people is going to use it. Thats a fact. Same if the ps4eye was bundled with ps4.

CLEEK

Are people genuinely not happy to receive a free game?? At launch?

Normally with bundles, I never feel like I'm getting a free game, as nothing is ever really free. I'm paying for it with part of the price of the console.

But this is a bit different, as MS had already announced the price of the Xbox One. I'd imagine the MS are paying EA the full price they'd get from retail (whatever percentage cut of the £40 RRP that goes tot he publisher). If that's just £15-20, slashing that much off the price of the console rather than including a game would make little difference

So MS are getting more bang for their buck by bundling a high profile game with it, and it narrows the price difference between it and the PS4.

Zen

Banned
If kinect is bundled, people is going to use it. Thats a fact.

Before you edited:
"So people aren't going to like talking to the TV and further immersing themselves in the experience"

01laugh.gif

For this to have anywhere near the impact you'd think it would, we wouldn't be seeing PS4 pre-orders doing so well in comparison. If they were closer to 50-50, then this move could certainly help, but the fact that the PS4 is set to do a lot better by most metrics we have indicated that to most consumers the value of the things you're championing Kinect) aren't all that great nor additive.

You certainly don't see people siting six axis controls as a bullet point, nor were they cancelling pre-orders when Sony debundled the PSeye with the PS4. People use the tablet on the WiiU as well, but that doesn't mean it suddenly by default makes the WiiU a more worthwhile platform, customers determine the value.

ari

Banned
Before you edited:
"So people aren't going to like talking to the TV and further immersing themselves in the experience"

01laugh.gif

For this to have anywhere near the impact you'd think it would, we wouldn't be seeing PS4 pre-orders doing so well in comparison. If they were closer to 50-50, then this move could certainly help, but the fact that the PS4 is set to do a lot better by most metrics we have indicated that to most consumers the value of the things you're championing Kinect) aren't all that great nor additive.

I believe that DRM and shitty pr, not kinect, played a role in that. Not everyone believes that kinect is useless like you do.

Just like that sixaxis. That was such a game changer.
Hey now, how do you think I walked across those logs in Uncharted*? Huh? Or turned those cranks in Killzone*? Or aimed cannonballs in Heavenly Sword*?

Was a game changer, it was.

disabled that shit every chance I got.

Bgamer90

Banned
Just like that sixaxis. That was such a game changer.

And those Wii U multiplats are making such good use of the second screen. Couldn't live without it, personally.

So then I guess you feel that all of the multiple PS4 controller features are useless too then right and will flop?

I really don't understand how people can make conclusions about these things before the consoles are even out. That's on top of the fact that doing so kind of goes against the whole "I want new ideas" pleas on gaming forums in multiple threads.

Zornack

The asymmetric aspects of each of the consoles are most usually worthless when it comes to multiplats (aka 90% of games).

Sixaxis wasn't used well. The Wii U gamepad hasn't been used well. The Kinect won't be used well. The PS4 touchpad won't be used well.

They're gimmicks.

So then I guess you feel that all of the multiple PS4 controller features are useless too then right and will flop?

Yeah, I think it might be used for cool stuff once or twice then be regulated to menu control or something else that I really don't give a shit about.

Bgamer90

Banned
Before you edited:

01laugh.gif

So views can't change over time if there's more compelling content post launch?

Things will always remain the same?

Bsigg12

It's about the spin and marketing though, innit. People like being told they're getting things "free", even if there are massive strings attached.

What string is attached here? The fact the Kinect is bundled? If you're buying an Xbox One at or around launch you are well aware that Kinect is a major focus and for some of us, a really awesome inclusion. If you don't like the Kinect being included you've probably already written it off. This makes the proposition of getting one way more intriguing

dyergram

I really don't understand how people can make conclusions about these things before the consoles are even out. That's on top of the fact that doing so kind of goes against the whole "I want new ideas" pleas on gaming forums in multiple threads.
To be fair you can make assumptions based on history. Not sure where people's optimism for kinect is coming from at all.

Normally with bundles, I never feel like I'm getting a free game, as nothing is ever really free. I'm paying for it with part of the price of the console.

But this is a bit different, as MS had already announced the price of the Xbox One. I'd imagine the MS are paying EA the full price they'd get from retail (whatever percentage cut of the £40 RRP that goes tot he publisher). If that's just £15-20, slashing that much off the price of the console rather than including a game would make little difference

So MS are getting more bang for their buck by bundling a high profile game with it, and it narrows the price difference between it and the PS4.

I wonder if the retailers are being compensated for this?

Fifa's money in the bank for them, it sells itself and they get what? ~£10 a sale.

Retailers will lose millions from this.

Zornack

What string is attached here? The fact the Kinect is bundled? If you're buying an Xbox One at or around launch you are well aware that Kinect is a major focus and for some of us, a really awesome inclusion. If you don't like the Kinect being included you've probably already written it off. This makes the proposition of getting one way more intriguing

I think the strings he's reffering to is that XB1 + FIFA is still more expensive than PS4 + FIFA, but since XB1 comes with a free FIFA it could be more attractive to some people.

ari

Banned
The asymmetric aspects of each of the consoles are most usually worthless when it comes to multiplats (aka 90% of games).

Sixaxis wasn't used well. The Wii U gamepad hasn't been used well. The Kinect won't be used well. The PS4 touchpad won't be used well.

They're gimmicks.
Out of all those. Kinect 2.0 looks to be the most promising though.

Zen

Banned
I believe that DRM and shitty pr, not kinect, played a role in that. Not everyone believes that kinect is useless like you do..

EDIT: I've already pointed out that the you have a very tough sell proving that I'm not in the majority when it comes to kinect

Just like 599 played a roll in the PS3. But in the end, despite being more expensive than the 360 for the entire generation and launching a year later, the PS3 ended up outselling the 360 worldwide and especially in most of Europe. Now it's 100 dollar less expensive (for now, Microsoft could have the 399 no Kinect version out next year which says all it needs to say about how Microsoft and customers view the value of Kinect BTW) and coming out at the same time.

And when it comes to Fifa, virtually everyone in Europe that is getting either console is probably getting Fifa as well, so why would they opt for the more expensive version if they weren't already leaning that way.

And those who were leaning that way would have made up the minority of Europeans during this generation, to say nothing of how Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot now.

So views can't change over time if there's more compelling content post launch?

Things will always remain the same?

So you're assuming that this free Fifa bundle will last forever?

Striek

Smart move. $500/£429 is going to be an incredibly hard sell for MS, they definitely need to improve the value proposition against the PS4. Also when they release the sub-$400 no Kinect version without a pack-in early adopters wont feel as screwed.
Out of all those. Kinect 2.0 looks to be the most promising though.

Not really. I think the gamepad has the most potential to be useful for games by far, even with Nintendo gimping it with a resistive single touch screen.

Kinect 2 has shown bugger all promise in actual games so far.

I believe that DRM and shitty pr, not kinect, played a role in that. Not everyone believes that kinect is useless like you do.

and not everyone thinks that it adds value to the package either.

some take this as "here's fifa as compensation for us making you pay more than the competition and forcing you to have this camera you don't want."

Bgamer90

Banned
To be fair you can make assumptions based on history. Not sure where people's optimism for kinect is coming from at all.

But the assumptions are coming from a device that's completely outdated & more restrictive than its successor. It's like making a full judgement on the iPhone 5 via the iPhone 3G.

Everyone who has used the new Kinect has said that it's a big improvement over the first. Whether that will translate into better experiences is "wait and see"; just don't see how anyone could make conclusions on that yet.

But then again, if people didn't make conclusions on multiple features of both consoles before launch, there would be hardly anything to talk about here so I guess I somewhat understand it.

Top Bottom