• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - E3 Demo Impressions

Lux R7

DS1 backstabs are the best for me. Seems like i'm the only one. The animation was way better than that swish swosh in DS2, a good old stab! way more satisfying.

Gbraga

This is sorta fun on the first playthrough. It's a major pain in the ass on every subsequent run.

Completely disagree. I even ignore a lot of bonfires in most of my playthroughs.

Having to actually learn how to traverse the levels is great.

Things like using a homeward bone back to firelink shrine after killing Quelaag because going down the shortcut later for Demon Ruins is faster than climbing back up (since you can just drop a couple of times) makes replaying it quite special.

Some people use the Firesage Skip to even do everything at once, before Lordvessel, but I'm not that good, I can only skip Ceaseless Discharge through the lava.

Nephtes

Wait wait wait...

Maybe in this game you linked the fire already and are the new Lord of Cinder ... Your job is to remake the world all nice and less apocalyptic...

Would explain why the player character is described as having a cape that is singed but still glowing as well as a torch that doesn't go out?

Edit: Also might explain the rumors that you can make bonfires now too?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Things like using a homeward bone back to firelink shrine after killing Quelaag because going down the shortcut later for Demon Ruins is faster than climbing back up (since you can just drop a couple of times) makes replaying it quite special.

You can still do that in a game that lets you warp from the start.

I don't want what should be a 30 second trip to a blacksmith turned into 5+ minutes because I can't warp. It's flat out stupid.

eot

Banned
If you mean turning direction between attacks I've got news for you:

- Weapons in DS1 could do it too (Ultra Greatswords)
- ALL weapons can do it in Bloodborne (aka the last game made by Miyazaki)

So I hope that's not a deal breaker because it's probably gonna be in DS3.

He probably means the enemies pivoting. In DkSII they curve through the air to track you even in jumping attacks.
Capra actually does that too, kinda.

Soriku

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/dark-souls-iii-fewer-maps-larger-scale

What’s the world of Dark Souls III like?

Miyazaki: “The sense of something having ended, or destruction, is stronger.”

Are there any changes to the basic design?

“Dark Souls III follows closely from II, so we kept the handy things from II.”

Regarding actions or weapons

“We’ve expanded the character builder and tactical options without sacrificing the feel of the series. We added new action elements that contribute to the sense of role-playing. For instance, we adopted the concept of rapid fire for the short bow, and the animation between rolling and walking has been smoothed out.

“The speed of the action is slightly increased compared to the previous two games and balanced so you can move intuitively. I don’t think we’re going to employ the idea of agility, otherwise the action would be stressful until you raise your stats.

“There are slightly less maps than Dark Souls II, but each of the maps are on a much larger scale.”

Wait wait wait...

Maybe in this game you linked the fire already and are the new Lord of Cinder ... Your job is to remake the world all nice and less apocalyptic...

Would explain why the player character is described as having a cape that is singed but still glowing as well as a torch that doesn't go out?

Edit: Also might explain the rumors that you can make bonfires now too?

Bonfires are fueled with* humans so you maybe are using your own soul, fire or bones to reignite them

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This sounds like the best combination of DS1 and Bloodborne which is really freaking exciting.

If stances operate anything like trick weapons this is going to be amazing.

friday

All I needed to hear is that the complex interconnected level design of ds1 is back. I can't wait to explore this game!

Aces&Eights

There are not too many games out there that I go bat shit crazy over but Souls games are one of them. Reading the OP just made me hyped as hell. It sounds like they took the best of all the previous games and ate making one last super Souls. That new power stance and "whirlwind of swords" moveset? Holy shit!

All those details have me super hyped for this. Miyizaki is doing level design again, no more floaty feeling, level based multiplayer. Obviously the game I'm most looking forward to.

Randomizer

Miyazaki personally on level design is the biggest news. He is pretty much without parallel in the industry. The seamlessness and interconnectedness in Dark Souls and Bloodborne are one of their strongest elements.

Adaren

I think I'm okay with from-the-start bonfire warping as long as the level designs are DkS1-tier.

Because they made PVE awesome?

Oh look, a backstab-able enemy. Time to spin circles around them until they whiff an attack and then 1 shot them.

Instant backstabs broke DkS1 PvE in a terrible way. In DkS2, they led to a weird arms-race where you could still insta-backstab but enemies spun way faster in order to prevent you from getting a clean shot.

The DkS backstab system needs a significant revamp. Bloodborne did them well, but introducing charge attacks on 90% of weapons also has a huge effect on gameplay that they might not want, so I understand if they don't go down that route. But I really, really, really, really, really hope they don't use one of the existing DkS systems without some tweaks.

Mandelbo

�The speed of the action is slightly increased compared to the previous two games and balanced so you can move intuitively. I don�t think we�re going to employ the idea of agility, otherwise the action would be stressful until you raise your stats.

Yeeeesssssss

Neoweee

I don't know what DkS1-style movement means. Is free-rolling gone?

Parries and Backstabs need a drastic re-work if they are to be included. Broken as fuck in Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.

Fast-travel is iffy. At the very least, it will be better than the launch version of Dark Souls 1, and closer to that game post-patch.

Stances sound like the natural evolution of power-stancing, which was proto-trick weapons. More of a focus on different movesets between stances sounds great.

Revamp of ranged weapons is fantastic. Spells need some more revisions, namely speed & moveset. I hope that weapon durability works like 2, except that even broken weapons auto repair at bonfires. Hell, make ranged weapon ammo work like spell charges/durability, as well. Fuck consumables of every kind.

I swear i read it somewhere but i can't find it now. Big M stated leveling up to agility dodge is not a great idea.

My guess is that the game will use a mix of 1 and 2's weight/roll mechanics. Continuous, non cut-off dependence on roll type, but distance and i-frames are linked as in 1. I suspect that weight load will still be a separate state from the stat that boosts stamina.

Im sure balance will be in mind during the creation of the game man

Wouldnt be overly worried

Since when has Miyazaki focused on balance during the creation of the game? Post-release patches, sure, but not during the main development. Dark Souls 1, as it exists now, is fundamentally different than the balance at launch.

eot

Banned
I think I'm okay with from-the-start bonfire warping as long as the level designs are DkS1-tier.

Warping is a get out of jail free card for shortcuts though. If they have warping it's going to affect the level design because they can get away with more dead ends and linear spokes. Not having it there forces them to push themselves. You see it in Bloodborne too, sure it has shortcuts but the world is not designed to be traversed in the same way Lordran is.

UrbanRats

Bows completely got a revamp. You can now effectively use the Short Bow in close range combat. If fires quickly and is nearly instantaneous.

Miyazaki: “Using the short bow is a bit like being like Legolas in Lord of the Rings. Ok, I’m probably exaggerating a little.”
SOLD.

Bloodborne chugged enough at 30fps. Would have preferred to have Souls stay at 60. Gameplay>graphics in Souls.

Stay? No Souls game has been over 30 aside from PC.

DS2:SOTFS (can't comment on OG pc version) runs really well

Vanilla DS2 also runs at 60 FPS/1080p even on my 7 year old PC. Obviously DS3 will be that much more demanding, but yeah. Worst case scenario, we have blessed Durante.

And I'll take 30fps with Miyazaki level design over 60fps with what Dark Souls 2 had.

Well, yeah, but getting both is possible (PC) and best. DS1 was a thing of beauty on PC with Durante's fix.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just woke up... fuck yes...!!!!

Teletraan1

Banned
Sigh enough of this please. I wanted to buy the game soon. It was one question. Please stop overreacting to one question. Back on topic.

You can't even ask questions regarding this game. Game is perfect 10/10 perfect frame pacing according to the bloodborne cult. Just ignore these irrational kids or ridiculously immature adults with their fervent attacks. The game has a slight frame pacing problem but it is playable. You stop noticing it after a while or you won't but will press on because the rest of the game is really good.

Blobbers

Oh look, a backstab-able enemy. Time to spin circles around them until they whiff an attack and then 1 shot them.

Instant backstabs broke DkS1 PvE in a terrible way. In DkS2, they led to a weird arms-race where you could still insta-backstab but enemies spun way faster in order to prevent you from getting a clean shot.

The DkS backstab system needs a significant revamp. Bloodborne did them well, but introducing charge attacks on 90% of weapons also has a huge effect on gameplay that they might not want, so I understand if they don't go down that route. But I really, really, really, really, really hope they don't use one of the existing DkS systems without some tweaks.

"Oh look, a backstab-able enemy. Time to spin circles around them until they whiff an attack and then 1 shot them."

Not familiar with this strategy. For me, a shieldless user, it's more of a high risk, high and oh so satisfynig reward situation. Roll into an attack and make use of the invincibility frames, end up behind the enemy, backstab for massive damage/insta-kill. Feels good, man.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
"Oh look, a backstab-able enemy. Time to spin circles around them until they whiff an attack and then 1 shot them."

Not familiar with this strategy. For me, a shieldless user, it's more of a high risk, high and oh so satisfynig reward situation. Roll into an attack and make use of the invincibility frames, end up behind the enemy, backstab for massive damage/insta-kill. Feels good, man.

I haven't used shields since my first character in DS1. You don't even have to circle around them. All you need to do is run behind them (without locking on), and 99% of the time they will whiff an attack and you get a free backstab.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Fuck yes! All that stuff sounds great. DkS1 is so much better than DkS2 so I'm glad that the movement and combat will be more akin to it. Hopefully they get rid of useless stats that only added confusion than actually being useful.

Ferr986

Other than the backstab stuff, all of this sounds awesome.

It was stupidly abusable , especially in Dark 1. Also, fucks up PvP, especially when there's lag going on.
I don't feel like backstabs are needed in this game IMO.

omonimo

Banned
Really happy about 30fps. Getting really tired of PS4 games looking like slightly better PS3 games at 60fps.
Where are all these games which are like ps3 graphic for the sake of 60 fps on ps4? O_O
I missed it. Because if you are talking of remastered that's a really stupid comparison, no offence.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Slightly less maps than DSII, yet much bigger individually, makes it seem like the game could be bigger than DS1 anyway.

DSII is a huge game even if individual areas are often not that large.

Durante

Slightly less maps than DSII, yet much bigger individually, makes it seem like the game could be bigger than DS1 anyway.

If it's really only slightly fewer maps than DS2, and they are individually larger than in DS2, then it will almost certainly be bigger than DS1. DS2 was huge (with the 3 DLCs it's gigantic).

I prefer few zones but big, some Dark Souls 2 areas were pretty bad designed you could feel the areas are just simply rooms and pretty linear

JimPanzer

everything I hear about the game sounds great. bit faster combat? hell yeah, going back to DS2 after Bloodborne was disappointing.

we aren't getting gameplay, righ?

Top Bottom