• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - E3 Demo Impressions

Soriku

So damn excited.

What is that about the world being shared with DkS1 and 2? What does that mean exactly? That it's not completely new but part of the same mythos, or that it's literally the same areas?

Should be like Dark Souls 1 --> 2. Same world and mythos, but in the future a lot has changed and so all the areas are brand new like the Wall of Lodoleth that was shown in the demo.

tcrunch

Ooh. Thank you. Yea, I hear you about the announcement trailers thing, but its odd to have a functional demo that you only show the press. Maybe they're trying to avoid a potential visual downgradegate. Who knows. Either way it's a little disappointing, especially considering its E3.

It's actually exactly how they started with Bloodborne, though in BB's case they were having a lot of framerate issues as well.

Mandelbo

Also I would like durability either removed completely or put back to how it was in DS1 and BB. The durability system in DS2 felt designed around pushing you to the next bonfire, which, regardless of whether it was a cause or a result of the more linear level design and more frequent bonfire placement, definitely felt like the opposite of what these games should be doing.

Should i play this since i loved bloodborne or it is a totally diferent game?
I would say yes. BB was my first souls game and I bought DS 1 because of it and actually finished that first. Now I'm switching between Demons Souls and BB. Still haven't tried DS 2 yet probably going to wait for the PS4 price to drop and I am a little leery of it because of some of the issues people say it has even though it's stil supposedly a great game.

Nabbis

FROM are lucky; the "backlash" to DS2 was basically "this isn't as good as Dark Souls... but it's still fucking good!".

The backlash was due to them presenting a vertical slice that was a generation apart from the final game. Coupled with the fact that Steam screenshots were still using the media from the vertical slice up until some gaffers decided to message them and ask "wtf guys?".

As for the gameplay, du'uh it's better than most Cod dudebro shit. Problem is, it had a very bad variety on enemies, shitty hitboxes, a bad(imo) map design as well as ridiculous bugs that just only got fixed(Weapon degrading twice as fast on PC) when compared to the original DAS.

Can katanas be good without having an HP drain mechanic, like 90% of the other weapons in the game? Also, please put in the Chikage-style draw and sheath mechanic only let me keep it sheathed until I choose to draw it. Kthx.

Ferr986

Can katanas be good without having an HP drain mechanic, like 90% of the other weapons in the game? Also, please put in the Chikage-style draw and sheath mechanic only let me keep it sheathed until I choose to draw it. Kthx.

There are good katanas without HP drain.
Chaos Blade and Chikage needs the HP drain though (or any other penalty), they would be just plain broken otherwise.

Never found a use for it beyond the spear users in Undead Burg (and it was easier to riposte them than kick + attack 2-3 hits anyway). After the first area of the game, it was never useful ever again.

In Dark souls 1, enemies took extra damage when in a stagger animation. The kick caused them to stagger, so it's basically the same thing as Dark Souls 2's shield break minus the animation. After being kicked, the enemies in the Burg are 1-shot by most if not all weapons.

You say it wasn't useful after the first area in the game, but the only reason for that is because there weren't many shielded units past the first area in the game. If the same were true for Dark Souls 2, the shield break would be equally useless.

I prefer the kick because A) while the kick will result in additional damage if it successfully shield breaks, it's not quite as overpowered, B) the animation is faster, making it easier to pull off, and C) it doesn't bring fights to a grinding halt waiting for all the animations to finish. The only disadvantage is that rather than being a 100% guaranteed shield break if it connects, it's basically a static -stamina attack, so if the enemy/player has a ton of stamina, it's not going to shield break. That could easily be tweaked for this game though.

Also, the shield break move in Dark Souls 2 looks ridiculous.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'd take the Demon's Souls push over the kick even. Dual katana push combos all day.
Yussss
internet_bro_fist.jpg

So I just read on Facebook via Kotaku that this isn't the final game after all? That is disappointing to me. I was happy with the idea of a big finale.

Miyazaki "I don’t think we’re going to employ the idea of agility, otherwise the action would be stressful until you raise your stats."

Screw Agility. I felt I needed to grind it up just for the game to feel right. Can't believe someone thought that was a good idea.

And very few can match Miyazaki in level design.

Hype Rising.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Now this is some damn good news all around. Only worry left is if they bring back ds2 horrid durability system and that this apparently isn't the last game anymore. Story sounds like it will be much better too. Bye bye age of fire, you won't be missed.

Shredderi

Welp. There it is. That nasty feeling you get when a big gaming event you've looked forward to for months is ending and you're almost desperate for the next one in two months (gamescom). All this despair just to get a true glimpse at this game. My god...

Dresden

I just hope the estoc is back. It's been in like, every incarnation of the souls titles so I'm not too worried, but it better be accessible early on.

Neoweee

More important than removing Agility, the stat screen should list, in clear, properly-scaled numbers,

- Roll distance
- "Run Speed"
- Some measure of invincibility while evading
- Stamina Regen

Basically, everything tied to Endurance/Weight/Agility/Vitality should be more transparent. People shouldn't need to do regression analysis to figure out that the Hand Lantern reduces your Stamina generation.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just hope we can still teleport between bonfires. It's probably my favorite feature in Dark Souls 2, and it makes revisiting areas and exploring less tedious than it was in DkS1.

sn00zer

I just hope for the removal of hollowing, better explanation of enchanting, and all the shops being in one place. Bloodborne was honestly made for me because of that.

papercamm

Hmm, interesting. Not sure how I feel about this. I guess instead of powerstancing, it's only specific weapons that have something like the trick weapon mode in Bloodborne?

It seems more limiting than Dark Souls 2's dual-wielding, so that's a bit disappointing. At least I know dual scimitars are in. I hope dual kats are in too or else GTFO!

I don't get that. The guard-break move was infinitely more useful than the useless kick.

Personally speaking I prefered the immediacy of using it to break guards as opposed to the slow build up of the shoulder bash. Utility doesn't factor so much into it for me, especially in regards to pvp since I don't care for Souls pvp too much.

Jombie

I hope it keeps the simplicity of weapon upgrading in DS2, and things like being able to buff an infused weapon.

I don't think Vendrick would be a "God Hand," since he didn't actually link the fire. Gwyn and the Chosen Undead are the only ones we know of who fill that role. Possibly Solaire and the second game's MC as well.

Furthermore, the true villains almost have to be the Primordial Serpents, who orchestrated all of this in the first place.

Top Bottom