• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - E3 Demo Impressions

Rainy

Banned
Didn't know where else to put it but Brad Simons from 4playerpodcast (podcast that's been on twitch/justintv for years) asked Miyazaki how long DS3 was in development and if he was working on both this and Bloodborne at the same time.

https://twitter.com/FolderBrad/status/611301933509386240

https://twitter.com/FolderBrad/status/611302189101920256

On the Dark Souls 3 front, he said it's been in development for 2 years. He came in about half way through the prototype phase.

He was working on both projects at once. But he gave an example of when he did that before. Demons Souls and Armored Core 4 Answer.

Altazor

this needs to be posted again.

I'm convinced Miyazaki was not that involved in this game. I think they just plastered his name there to get people excited.

Why do I think this? The CG trailer tells the tale. In the trailer, we see a Giant King with a hole for a face. This is a DIRECT connection to Dark Souls 2, a game Miyazaki had nothing to do with, which shows.
Miyazaki is a genius, a visionary. Demon's, Dark and Bloodborne all have a distinct Miyazaki touch, something Dark Souls 2 lacks.

The point is, if Miyazaki was directing this game, he would never borrow from a lesser entry like DS2. He would never borrow from the "lesser vision" of his subordinates. Because,as I said, he is a visionary, one of the greats. It makes no sense for him to stoop to such low levels. It's beneath him, if you will.

The giant in the trailer gives it away. Miyazaki is not directing. And the reason is simple: Miyazaki doesn't need help from the lesser minds.

...The mere notion of Miyazaki actually using anything from the clusterfuck of the lore that is DS2...
Preposterous.

this needs to be posted again.

Originally Posted by Blobbers

I'm convinced Miyazaki was not that involved in this game. I think they just plastered his name there to get people excited.

Why do I think this? The CG trailer tells the tale. In the trailer, we see a Giant King with a hole for a face. This is a DIRECT connection to Dark Souls 2, a game Miyazaki had nothing to do with, which shows.
Miyazaki is a genius, a visionary. Demon's, Dark and Bloodborne all have a distinct Miyazaki touch, something Dark Souls 2 lacks.

The point is, if Miyazaki was directing this game, he would never borrow from a lesser entry like DS2. He would never borrow from the "lesser vision" of his subordinates. Because,as I said, he is a visionary, one of the greats. It makes no sense for him to stoop to such low levels. It's beneath him, if you will.

The giant in the trailer gives it away. Miyazaki is not directing. And the reason is simple: Miyazaki doesn't need help from the lesser minds.

...The mere notion of Miyazaki actually using anything from the clusterfuck of the lore that is DS2...
Preposterous.

4R7xDcf.gif

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
The hype has got me ! No way this ships before next summer though. If it does were going to be waiting for a patch to fix all the unfinished stuff. They need to take their time.

The changes to the bow along with the weapon arts are potentially very exciting. I'm eager to see gameplay footage of the bow and arts in action.

The arts in particular sound like the "cool" movesets from weapons like Artorias's greatsword where you have your typical R1 and what not, but then you pull of unique techniques like the somersault or spin, but for all weapons of that class or whatever.

I'm very eager to see any arts for katanas and whips

pbayne

Jesus if the bows are anything like Legolas=Every other build fucked

No magic huh? Wonder what they will replace it with

Skii

I feel like the bow is going to be OP. Any ranged build is always far easier to play than a melee build in the Souls games. I tried magic in Demon's and Dark Souls after a melee run and it was piss easy. No need to interact directly with the opposition completely killed the tension though. It was only about maintaining enough usages between bonfires. There needs to be a lot better ranged attack from the enemies for ranged combat to be fair.

The arts in particular sound like the "cool" movesets from weapons like Artorias's greatsword where you have your typical R1 and what not, but then you pull of unique techniques like the somersault or spin, but for all weapons of that class or whatever.

I actually wonder if some of the "special movesets" from a lot of the weapons in the Dark Souls 2 DLC (bone fist, majestic greatsword, etc) were actually early sword-art stuff in prototype. Knowing that Dark Souls 3 has been in development for a while now, it kinda makes sense that they might throw a few of those moves into the Dark Souls 2 DLC just for funsies.

I feel like the bow is going to be OP. Any ranged build is always far easier to play than a melee build in the Souls games. I tried magic in Demon's and Dark Souls after a melee run and it was piss easy. No need to interact directly with the opposition completely killed the tension though. It was only about maintaining enough usages between bonfires. There needs to be a lot better ranged attack from the enemies for ranged combat to be fair.

I feel like magic is actually pretty balanced with melee in DS2. If bosses generally tend to be aggressive and always in the player's face, it makes ranged options much less powerful. The enrage mechanic that it sounds like they're going with makes me feel like bosses will tend to be on the aggressive side in DS3.

Jombie

One of the leaked screens from a couple of weeks ago had Soul Arrows and Sunlight Blade on the UI. Magic, pyro, and faith will be there. I'm curious to see if they retain hexes from DS2.

Kick sure as shit wasn't useless

It was in PvP, what I think she was getting at. Greatshield of Artorias and similar shields pretty much laughed at kicks while DSII guard break meant an instant (and possibly fatal) Riposte if they caught you turtling.

Screw Agility. I felt I needed to grind it up just for the game to feel right. Can't believe someone thought that was a good idea.

They thought "gee it's dumb that the fully armored Havel dudes are flipping around the room like a pack of ninja with a zillion i-frames and poise". They were correct.

While AGL as a separate stat wasn't a perfect solution, it did stop all but the super high leveled people from achieving "min max ninja armored super mage" status which was good.

I actually wonder if some of the "special movesets" from a lot of the weapons in the Dark Souls 2 DLC (bone fist, majestic greatsword, etc) were actually early sword-art stuff in prototype. Knowing that Dark Souls 3 has been in development for a while now, it kinda makes sense that they might throw a few of those moves into the Dark Souls 2 DLC just for funsies.

I feel like magic is actually pretty balanced with melee in DS2. If bosses generally tend to be aggressive and always in the player's face, it makes ranged options much less powerful. The enrage mechanic that it sounds like they're going with makes me feel like bosses will tend to be on the aggressive side in DS3.

Oh man, if the bone fist's move set is an art for fist weapons, that'd be fantastic. Hadoukens and flying kicks everywhere.

VICI0US

I'll pick it up on PC at some point, I just can't put up with this series performance on consoles anymore

DS1 at 1440p/60fps on my PC compared to my first playthrough from PS3 at 720p/sub-30fps was just a mindblowing difference.

Tarkus

Game sounds like it will consume my free time for at least a year. Please bring back a version of my precious Balder Side Sword Miyazaki-san.

Aikidoka

Peeve Posting about lore:

DkS3 Peeve Lore:

Lords of Cinder are those who linked the flame, & theyre resurrecting. Considering that the player armor we've seen (cont)

(cont) seems to glow w/ embers, it may be that you play as a Lord of Cinder, aka the original Chosen Undead.

Also something I touch upon at the very end of the podcast:

Considering there was a swirling, free form abyss enemy that swept up (cont)

cont) & consumed nearby hollows, I think it's an Age of Dark, & you're against usual enemies + the world itself, as it's consumed by abyss.

I just hope we can still teleport between bonfires. It's probably my favorite feature in Dark Souls 2, and it makes revisiting areas and exploring less tedious than it was in DkS1.

I hope we can after a SIGNIFICANT portion of the game, just like DS1. That was handled perfectly, in my opinion, as it forced you to learn and appreciate the intricacy of the world, making the journey exponentially more foreign, enjoyable and rewarding.

To me, the beauty of DS1 in a nutshell is resurfacing at Firelink after your first trudge through Blighttown. Having those dulcet strings fade in after quite the hellish episode was something else. The exploration needs walk a fine line between tedium and relentless treachery.

ElFly

I hope we can after a SIGNIFICANT portion of the game, just like DS1. That was handled perfectly, in my opinion, as it forced you to learn and appreciate the intricacy of the world, making the journey exponentially more foreign, enjoyable and rewarding.

To me, the beauty of DS1 in a nutshell is resurfacing at Firelink after your first trudge through Blighttown. Having those dulcet strings fade in after quite the hellish episode was something else. The exploration needs walk a fine line between tedium and relentless treachery.

Yeah gotta 100% agree.

Bloodborne comes close, but it basically forcing to teleport for everything means you never get that "being lost" feeling dark 1 gave.

Getting out of Blighttown and going back to firelink was basically a big oh my god "I am back in civilization" moment. BB lets you get into the Doctor office from the dark forest, but that is barely a "uh, it's weird they are connected" moment. The teleport really makes BB lose a lot of its impact.

doofy102

I'd really like a world with no warping. Dark Souls needed warping after Anor Londo because the levels began to branch way out and stopped connecting, running places actually took too much time then.The whole game should be more interconnected, more branching-in.

If they leave in respec I am ok with DS1 style warping where you gain acces later in the game. I play one character for 400 hours and PvP I don't want to have to trudge all over the place to get somewhere for an invasion. No warping is awesome for a first playthough but after you've done the story ten times it gets really old and inconvenient.

New bow stuff sounds great, I've done bow runs in all the games and this will definately be a welcome addition.

Sounds like with Miyazaki in charge tons of shit from DS2 got thrown out the window!

They thought "gee it's dumb that the fully armored Havel dudes are flipping around the room like a pack of ninja with a zillion i-frames and poise". They were correct.

While AGL as a separate stat wasn't a perfect solution, it did stop all but the super high leveled people from achieving "min max ninja armored super mage" status which was good.

Wasn't a perfect solution? It was a shit solution. You gonna defend Soul Memory next? My goodness...

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Any details on poise? Would much prefer it to be more like in Dark Souls (with some minor tweaks ) and not the near-worthless stat of Dark Souls II. Everything else sounds fantastic.

ElFly

I don't think Vendrick would be a "God Hand," since he didn't actually link the fire. Gwyn and the Chosen Undead are the only ones we know of who fill that role. Possibly Solaire and the second game's MC as well.

Furthermore, the true villains almost have to be the Primordial Serpents, who orchestrated all of this in the first place.

I always interpreted DS2's shrine of winter as the serpents having been killed. It has a statue of three serpents and the heads are always cut-off (or broken).

Wonder what the charcter create song will be, nothing tops Ds1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVa-ZeW0Tgo

I just hope the estoc is back. It's been in like, every incarnation of the souls titles so I'm not too worried, but it better be accessible early on.

Game sounds like it will consume my free time for at least a year. Please bring back a version of my precious Balder Side Sword Miyazaki-san.

And make the scythes viable again.

Comments like these show you how beloved this series is, specifically Dark Souls 1. It's not just level design and combat, but also the little details.

ElFly

I still think the backstab system in DK1 was so stupid. You shouldn't be able to get a backstab on a enemy who has already seen you just by rolling behind them. Wish they forced you to sneak up on people to get it.

I just don't like the backstab mechanic. In PvE, it is too strong. In PvP it happens at random times from your viewpoint if there's any lag. Also it is a lengthy animation. If you make it invincible, it is broken, if you let people take damage it is dangerous.

BB tries something different, but they overcorrected on the other direction, the method of stabbing is annoying.

I'd keep the DS1 mechanics, but just make it a lot quicker and shorter animations, and less damage. Or even get rid of it entirely. Or maybe make it escapable by mashing your buttons in PvP. Think the sneak requirement would be great, and would prolly kill it in PvP. Could work.

Carl7

I was not hyped until i was told that they are improving UPON DARK SOULS 1, now i can't control myself.

DSII and Bloodborne were good games, but also a step back in many aspects.

Hypron

Actually according to dark10x Bloodborne's fps is pratically a locked 30, the frame rate issues are due to the incorrect frame pacing of the game (which they still havent fixed).

The game's got some major framedrops against certain bosses that are definitely not just some incorrect frame pacing issues. I wouldn't say it's practically locked at 30fps.

The game's got some major framedrops against certain bosses that are definitely not just some incorrect frame pacing issues. I wouldn't say it's practically locked at 30fps.

I was just taking from the frame rate master :p

Bloodborne is such an annoying one as they actually hit 30fps the vast vast majority of the time. There are bits with actual slowdown but nearly ALL of the issues stem from poor frame pacing issues which they just refuse to address.

I paraphrased but i would say that From Software's efforts to achieve 30 fps in Bloodborne were largely successful and not even remotely a "very futile attempt" at it. That was my point. To give credit where credit is due. Although From fuckep up by not fixing the pacing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've been avoiding playing Bloodborne more in the futile hope they patch the frame pacing issues, it's by far the worst performing game I own so far on PS4, it just feels so choppy to the point of really hurting my enjoyment of the game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So Souls 3 development was started before they were done with 2. I wonder if that had any impact on the development of the latter

Fat4all

Banned
I've been avoiding playing Bloodborne more in the futile hope they patch the frame pacing issues, it's by far the worst performing game I own so far on PS4, it just feels so choppy to the point of really hurting my enjoyment of the game.

I find this a little silly.

It's frame-rate issues didn't dampen my enjoyment of the game in the slightest, and this is the first Miyazaki game I've ever platinumed.

On my fifth playthrough right now.

Hypron

I was just taking from the frame rate master :p

Yeah, fair enough. They don't test every single area in their technical analysis so even if early areas and bosses run fine, some of the latter stuff doesn't fare as well. Bosses like Paarl/Loran Darkbeast and abhorrent beases (when they are in their powered up state or use their AoE attacks) and The One Reborn (when it uses its AoE) have pretty rough framerates (they are not the only ones and there are some places outside of bossfights that don't fare well either).

Actually, in general explosions and other such effects make the framerate drop pretty badly.

Top Bottom