• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Gamescom Demo Impressions + Footage

Huh, that sounds like a huge negative point for a solo player like me. I played BB through in offline mode, and I'd like to do so with the expansion as well.

For the most part they're still doable, you just have to be very careful. The only one I haven't done offline is the Ivory Crown one, that's a fucking nightmare.

Mandelbo

Did they finally redo some of the item icons? I don't wanna see that shitty Estus Flask icon in 2016.

Yup, and the best thing about the new Estus Flask icon is that as you drink from the flask the icon visibly depletes, as opposed to full/empty like it was in previous games.

Huh, that sounds like a huge negative point for a solo player like me. I played BB through in offline mode, and I'd like to do so with the expansion as well.

The only one I wasn't able to complete on my own was the Ivory King co-op area, as has been mentioned already. It's utterly awful, but luckily completely optional. None of the DLC co-op areas are mandatory and the rewards you get for completing them aren't worth the hassle of doing them solo.

how dare you
It's so low res and crummy looking!
hqdefault.jpg

Like something out of a 90s adventure game

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It did when I first played. Completely skipped Gaping Dragon and Moonlight Butterfly. Didn't wind up going through Blighttown the "proper" way until my fourth time through.

And I dont think that you got to Anor Londo that quick. Which was the original point. The Master Key doesnt really speed things up that much. But good for you.

And I dont think that you got to Anor Londo that quick. Which was the original point. The Master Key doesnt really speed things up that much. But good for you.

I mean, sure if you think that skipping massive chunks of the game doesn't speed things up, more power to you. But as I've been saying this whole time, it is entirely possible to get the Lordvessel well before half the game is complete.

Melchiah

For the most part they're still doable, you just have to be very careful. The only one I haven't done offline is the Ivory Crown one, that's a fucking nightmare.

Not sure about DS1, but DS2 dlc can be solo'd...it's hard, but it can be done

The only one I wasn't able to complete on my own was the Ivory King co-op area, as has been mentioned already. It's utterly awful, but luckily completely optional. None of the DLC co-op areas are mandatory and the rewards you get for completing them aren't worth the hassle of doing them solo.

That's good to know. I did co-op the Ihyll chalice, as I just couldn't beat Pthumerian Descendant on my own. I sticked with offline in the main game, as I have no desire to be invaded, and I didn't need help for the bosses. The notes in the online mode were helpful in Ihyll though.

EDIT: On a side note, oddly enough Watchdog was far easier for me than Pthumerian Descendant, even with the health handicap.

Hypron

Praised be Miyazaki.

Look, I know he's a big reason why the series is popular and as good as it is but I really doubt he's the source of every single detail in the games he directs. That sort of idea could have very well come from one of the other 100 or so people working on the game.

Look, I know he's a big reason why the series is popular and as good as it is but I really doubt he's the source of every single detail in the games he directs. That sort of idea could have very well come from one of the other 100 or so people working on the game.
It was a joke.
This thread seems a little irritable today.

4rca

Neo Member

Honestly I think that these areas are better left untouched offline, only one of the optional bosses is worth fighting through these gauntlets filled to the brim with bullshit ennemies (hey ice ponies)..

people hate the estus flask art now?
Why is it always people when someone mentions something? It was me :p
It's not just the Estus flask it's all icons that were just copy and pasted from DS1 to DS2. They are made for 720p output.
Thankfully it seems that they redo them for DS3. Maybe even have it look good at 4k

Melchiah

Honestly I think that these areas are better left untouched offline, only one of the optional bosses is worth fighting through these gauntlets filled to the brim with bullshit ennemies (hey ice ponies)..

Just watched a video of the Ivory King fight, and it doesn't seem enjoyable/doable on solo. The mob boss fights in BB were my least favorites as well.

Oberon

Banned
I was really hopping that it wouldn't closer to the BB gameplay. On top of that DS 1 backstabs seems to be back. What a mess.
This seems to be the first in the series I'll have to skip

Listening to that Davecontrollive I agree with him about redundant shortcuts not being very good, I found that they did that in Bloodborne. It's like they went with the idea that if some shortcuts are good more must be better. But finding pointless shortcuts isn't all that exciting, and in the case of the Old Yarnam-Yahargul shortcut it was disappointing. It's not a huge problem or anything but It's one of the reasons I like DS1's level design more.

I can't disagree with him, and you, more. I don't think of them as shortcuts for the sake of shortcuts, think of them as connecting together a believable world.

Outside of Ebrietas and Watchdog and the chalice dungeons with things like cut health I dont think anything really measure up to the DLC bosses from either Dark Souls, especially once you get into ng+. Of course that only in my opinion but I have beaten all the bosses in all the games. Maybe it will be a similar story with the BB DLC. Usually the main game bosses have horrible weaknesses and low defenses comparably.

Some might also think/call the BB bosses harder since there are less ways to straight up cheese them like you can with a lot of the hard bosses in the souls games, and there are less options in general. The closest thing too it is abusing parries on bosses that allow it, but even that can be difficult for people. I agree with you that the BB bosses were the easiest in the series for me, but I was also already use to a more dodge and hit style of play so didn't have to change much about how I play.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The more I watch the footage the more I want to play it, even though I hated DS1. I really get that Bloodborne vibe from D3. A few of the things I didn't like about D1 were fixed in DS2, and DS3 takes it a step closer to being my sort of game.

Mandelbo

Just watched a video of the Ivory King fight, and it doesn't seem enjoyable/doable on solo. The mob boss fights in BB were my least favorites as well.

Did the player in the video you watched have a party of white knights with them? If they didn't, then that's not the intended way of approaching the fight. The after reaching the halfway point of the DLC, the boss door becomes available to you, but a lot of extra routes become unlocked as well. Rather than take the boss on immediately, you're supposed to look through the new sections to find these knights who help you during the initial onslaught of the fight, leaving you to fight the Ivory King alone. While it's possible to skip this part entirely, the fight is much more managable with the knights.

I was really hopping that it wouldn't closer to the BB gameplay. On top of that DS 1 backstabs seems to be back. What a mess.
This seems to be the first in the series I'll have to skip

You are putting wayyy too much stock in demo footage. One of the previews said that playing aggressively led to quick death. The character ppl used in the demo was intentionally OP

bidguy

Banned

there are no coop parts, im guessing he means sir alonne and fume knight

those are extremely hard bosses from the dlc

burgerdog

Playing aggressively leading to quick deaths? I laughed. I never use shields and 2 hand everything in the Souls series.

Hypron

I think he's referring to the Gank Squad, Lud & Zallen and the blue smelter demon (and the area leading to him). All of those bosses are in areas designed primarily for co-op (but they are feasible in solo).

Playing aggressively leading to quick deaths? I laughed. I never use shields and 2 hand everything in the Souls series.

It leads to a quick death if you don't know wtf you're doing, like every other Souls-like game :p

Aikidoka

It might be connected, but with warping what is the point? Bloodborne is an example of that, like there was a connection between Yahar'gul and Old Yharnam, but no reason to use it - you just warped to your destination and that's it.

In Dark Souls 1, without warping, you had to actually use all of those shortcuts and connections to travel between different locations. And the world was designed around it.

No, the gate connecting yarhar'gal and old Yharnam did serve a purpose. Mainly it allows you to befriend Djura.

burgerdog

It leads to a quick death if you don't know wtf you're doing, like every other Souls-like game :p

It's a good thing I know what I'm doing :eek: What's funny is that I was terrible and hated the game when I first started and used a shield. Everything changed when I found Zwei and dropped the shield.

It's a good thing I know what I'm doing :eek: What's funny is that I was terrible and hated the game when I first started and used a shield. Everything changed when I found Zwei and dropped the shield.

What I like about the series is that you can use a shield + patience to overcome a deficient in reaction time and controller dexterity. Jeff Green comes to mind. BB was much less forgiving to the slower gamers

What I like about the series is that you can use a shield + patience to overcome a deficient in reaction time and controller dexterity. Jeff Green comes to mind. BB was much less forgiving to the slower gamers

Jeff also has a special move he uses sometimes where he keeps the shield up 100% and only puts it down right when he sees an enemy is going to attack. He's such a gentleman :).

Easy_D

never left the stone age

No there are special areas designed for co-op. It's the areas you could be summoned into in Vanilla DS2 even if you didn't have the DLC.

105.Will

So I noticed that he has 2 swords equipped and doesn't seem to be loosing any kind of mobility. It could be just for early demo purposes, but the speed of this game is kinda concerning me. Im probably worrying to much but I don't want Dark Souls to just become Bloodborne.

PolishQ

So I noticed that he has 2 swords equipped and doesn't seem to be loosing any kind of mobility. It could be just for early demo purposes, but the speed of this game is kinda concerning me. Im probably worrying to much but I don't want Dark Souls to just become Bloodborne.

Probably just for the demo. New weapons are automatically equipped, and they had the inventory screens disabled.

ZeroRay

Missed the conversation about shortcuts.

As far as I'm concerned the level design in Bloodborne is definitely the most consistent in the series since Demon's. Central Yharnam, Forbidden Woods and the Nightmare levels stand out to me as some of the best map designs in the series.

The thing is, the inter-connectivity between levels are just....there. Usually a straight funnel leading from one place to another. I remember reading a FROM interview where a dev commented on how they actually connected the areas very late in development and how satisfied they were when they did, which explains it. At least the entire map makes sense for the most part this time unlike DS2.

Dark Souls 1 still has the best interconnected world by far, with interesting and often surprisingly simple but mindblowing ways how it merged its levels together. Seemed like they developed levels with that factor in mind from the beginning, which I hope is the case for this one too.

Melchiah

Did the player in the video you watched have a party of white knights with them? If they didn't, then that's not the intended way of approaching the fight. The after reaching the halfway point of the DLC, the boss door becomes available to you, but a lot of extra routes become unlocked as well. Rather than take the boss on immediately, you're supposed to look through the new sections to find these knights who help you during the initial onslaught of the fight, leaving you to fight the Ivory King alone. While it's possible to skip this part entirely, the fight is much more managable with the knights.

Yes. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC9e9nfKHhY

Listening to that Davecontrollive I agree with him about redundant shortcuts not being very good, I found that they did that in Bloodborne. It's like they went with the idea that if some shortcuts are good more must be better. But finding pointless shortcuts isn't all that exciting, and in the case of the Old Yarnam-Yahargul shortcut it was disappointing. It's not a huge problem or anything but It's one of the reasons I like DS1's level design more.

I don't think there's any pointless shortcuts in BB. Going through the backdoor route to Old Yharnam lets you bybass Djura's gunfire, and meet him on friendly terms, which is exactly what I did on NG+.

Some might also think/call the BB bosses harder since there are less ways to straight up cheese them like you can with a lot of the hard bosses in the souls games, and there are less options in general. The closest thing too it is abusing parries on bosses that allow it, but even that can be difficult for people. I agree with you that the BB bosses were the easiest in the series for me, but I was also already use to a more dodge and hit style of play so didn't have to change much about how I play.

You can cheese Abhorrent Beast with poison knives and/or bone marrow ash. BMA lets you handle the second phases of Undead Giant and Amygdala from a distance as well. It's also very easy to corner fuck Keeper of the Old Lords with repeated R1 strikes after parry & visceral combo.

Syriel

Movement feels like DS1, that's all I needed to hear. Everything else is a bonus. It looks quite Demon's-ish to me, which isn't a bad thing.

I'm happy to blackout from now until whenever it drops on PC.

Life has become a series of events that happen between Souls games.

P.S. IGN rep is shit at playing Souls games.

It's not that easy to just jump into a Souls game. ;)

At the demo event, the majority of media didn't even beat the dancer.

So will we be getting any official gameplay footage? Or will the off-screen recordings be the only thing we get?

Any chance of proper gameplay footage from any outlet?

Namco was not allowing direct feed of the demo. Off-screen from the show or official b-roll is all that's out there right now.

An important element of combat is the Battle Arts system. You always have the standard attack and parry moves available when using a sword and shield. The Arts system adds bonuses to your attacks, though each use has a small drawback, so it's a risk/reward kind of thing. Do you use standard attacks and go with what's known? Or do you risk using the Arts, knowing that if you miss, you've just opened yourself up to a punishing counter? The AI never passes up on an opportunity to punish. "You died." Yes, yes I did, again and again.

Using the regular sword, the Arts attack put my character into a stance from which he could launch a more powerful blow. It required timing the attack but wasn't that much different from a regular attack. Where the Arts really became useful was with the great sword. By itself, the great sword was powerful but so bloody slow. The Arts allowed for a rush that could break an enemy's block or an attack that cut low to high, launching an enemy into the air. To be honest, it looked like a golf swing of death. Due to speed, I couldn't really use the great sword's Arts attack in a crowd, but when going one-on-one, it was glorious.

http://worthplaying.com/article/2015/8/6/previews/96887/

It's actually not that terribly difficult, and imo one of the most fun and memorable moments of the series for me. I wouldn't worry too much about the DLC difficulty. Is it more difficult than the base game? Yes. But it's still more than doable solo. I've been through it a few times without too much trouble and never summoned help.

Oh and also don't worry about the whole healing/items thing; it's not as bad as you may think it is. It may not be as convenient as Bloodborne, but I wouldn't feel comfortable calling it more "difficult" either.

Gbraga

With the whole "a dark hero hunting the lords of cinder" theme of the game, can we just go ahead and call it "Dark Souls III |OT| Hunt the Great Ones"?
aPg9e4u.png

Top Bottom