• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Gamescom Demo Impressions + Footage

vilmer_

It's obvious that this is the Bloodborne engine. Have we ever found out whether Bloodborne is/was using an upgraded version of the Demon's/Dark 1 engine? I'm not sure we've ever gotten confirmation that they were using the PhyreEngine to begin with (as there was some conflicting info).

I'd love to know the the details behind the different iterations and I've never seen any concrete information. I think Dark Souls II has it's own entirely separate engine.

It's obvious that this is the Bloodborne engine. Have we ever found out whether Bloodborne is/was using an upgraded version of the Demon's/Dark 1 engine? I'm not sure we've ever gotten confirmation that they were using the PhyreEngine to begin with (as there was some conflicting info).

I'd love to know the the details behind the different iterations and I've never seen any concrete information.

I answered in the other thread aswell but I'll do it here again:

I believe it's the Phyre Engine which they also used in Dark Souls, just heavily modified and upgraded. There are several similarities, like the way Bloodborne is culling things and how the animation of almost-out-of-screen monsters gets reduced to half the framerate as seen with the Hellkite Drake's tail in DaS1 and the Storm Beats in DeS, that could indicate it's still the same engine.

bidguy

Banned
So, Bloodborne is catering the weak? Is this some kind of new hardcore stance, that I've missed somehow?

Ease of use isn't the same as easy. You shouldn't have to fight against the interface as well.

i never played bloodborne nor do i know how they handled this stuff there

you get slots for usable items in dark souls.you can only switch during gameplay with d-pad down and use them with square/X. up, left, right are reserved for weapons and spells. there is no pause button the only way is to prepare for fights by putting stuff in the slots beforehand. i dont get your complaint that 1 slot is always used by the estus flask either, ive put hundreds of hours into dark souls 1 and 2 and never had to worry about switchting stuff in the middle of battle.

edit: so in bloodborne you have a seperate slot for healing items ? glad they didnt put that into dark souls 3

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I answered in the other thread aswell but I'll do it here again:

I believe it's the Phyre Engine which they also used in Dark Souls, just heavily modified and upgraded. There are several similarities, like the way Bloodborne is culling things and how the animation of almost-out-of-screen monsters gets reduced to half the framerate as seen with the Hellkite Drake's tail in DaS1 and the Storm Beats in DeS, that could indicate it's still the same engine.

Phyre Engine was never used in any Souls games IIRC.

Renekton

I'd love to know the the details behind the different iterations and I've never seen any concrete information. I think Dark Souls II has it's own entirely separate engine.
It's not a BB engine without frame pacing hitches.

It's wrong common knowledge, the guys behind Phyre Engine said that it was never used by From Soft.

Well fuck me. That makes it one of the biggest misconceptions in gaming considering that lots of sites attribute the Phyre Engine to Dark Souls. Many places mention this.
Duh. How come this became the common notion?

When and where did the developers of PE said it was never used?

Skatterd

After watching that 16 minute gameplay video I'm going on blackout. I thought I would have Souls fatigue at this point but oh man, I'm so hyped.

Melchiah

While I agree with your overall sentiment and have nothing against the way healing is handled in Bloodborne, the same could be said for it. People who played their previous games had to fight against the interface to adapt to this new method of healing and transforming your weapon. Many people struggled with not pressing /\ to transform, especially those who were using weapons that went into a 2 handed mode when transformed.

I'll have to see how it is. Coming from Bloodborne I'm naturally comparing the gameplay mechanics together, and hoping it'll work as good as it did there. The need to juggle items, when your HP is nearly depleted and the enemy is breathing down your neck, doesn't really sound like a good idea. It could be tolerable in DS3 though if the combat is notably slower, but based on what I've seen and read it doesn't seem like it is. I'll get the game nevertheless, eventhough this change from BB might turn out to be irritating to me.

i never played bloodborne nor do i know how they handled this stuff there

you get slots for usable items in dark souls.you can only switch during gameplay with d-pad down and use them with square/X. up, left, right are reserved for weapons and spells. there is no pause button the only way is to prepare for fights by putting stuff in the slots beforehand. i dont get your complaint that 1 slot is always used by the estus flask either, ive put hundreds of hours into dark souls 1 and 2 and never had to worry about switchting stuff in the middle of battle.

edit: so in bloodborne you have a seperate slot for healing items ? glad they didnt put that into dark souls 3

That's how it was with Bloodborne as well; D-pad quick inventory and weapon change, no pause, and items needed to be put into the quick inventory before the boss fights. Healing was mapped to triangle button, and was separated from offensive and support items (like antidote), leaving you six slots for other items (12 if you count the personal effects menu, which wasn't optimal for battling use), and I think it worked very well.

Hell, I think it was already annoying to switch from offensive item to antidote/sedative when travelling through Nightmare Frontier in Bloodborne. It doesn't sound very good, when you add healing on top of those.

I don't really get how the lack of dedicated healing button can be seen as a positive thing.

Gbraga

The antidote/sedative thing was much better with the quick use touchpad menu, I just put those there and only offensive items in the d-pad roll.

pmj

I'll have to see how it is. Coming from Bloodborne I'm naturally comparing the gameplay mechanics together, and hoping it'll work as good as it did there. The need to juggle items, when your HP is nearly depleted and the enemy is breathing down your neck, doesn't really sound like a good idea. It could be tolerable in DS3 though if the combat is notably slower, but based on what I've seen and read it doesn't seem like it is. I'll get the game nevertheless, eventhough this change from BB might turn out to be irritating to me.

It's not like they're choosing to make it harder to heal just to be mean to the players, they have a lot of functionality to fit on a limited number of buttons.

Bloodborne had a bit less going on, and when they had a button free they used it for healing. If you can't do the same in DS3, it's probably because the button is needed for something else.

bidguy

Banned
I don't really get how the lack of dedicated healing button can be seen as a positive thing.

triangle is the stance toggle in dark souls 2. there is no button left for dedicated healing.
adding a special button for healing would make it more convenient and easier which is something id rather not see in dark souls

Melchiah

It's not like they're choosing to make it harder to heal just to be mean to the players, they have a lot of functionality to fit on a limited number of buttons.

Bloodborne had a bit less going on, and when they had a button free they used it for healing. If you can't do the same in DS3, it's probably because the button is needed for something else.

That limitation is understandable, although the DS4 touchpad works as two buttons, when pressing from each side. So, there's one more button compared to the DS3.

triangle is the stance toggle in dark souls 2. there is no button left for dedicated healing.
adding a special button for healing would make it more convenient and easier which is something id rather not see in dark souls

And that stance isn't. I'm all for the challenge, but I have no desire to be needlessly tripped over in the process.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Bonfire warps are okay, the areas themselves will probably be large enough that shortcuts are necessary to unlock to properly explore anyway.

Besides didn't those leaked gameplay snippets say fewer but larger areas than Dark Souls 2?

Edit: Phyre-Engine-aton :O. Though it makes sense as I think From's made in-house engines since forever, makes more sense from that standpoint seeing as they seem like the kind of guys who want to be able to fine tune every detail

ramyeon

thats part of the difficulty.

youll get used to it eventually no need to make them change it and cater to the weak
As someone introduced to the franchise through Bloodborne, it is stuff like this that really puts me off the Souls community. I've heard so much about how fantastic the community is, and I've experienced some of that with the Bloodborne threads here on GAF, but I do see a lot of this elitist attitude that is really off putting.

ZangBa

We really about start complaining about having to press down on the d-pad and press square to heal? We don't deserve this game.

bidguy

Banned
As someone introduced to the franchise through Bloodborne, it is stuff like this that really puts me off the Souls community. I've heard so much about how fantastic the community is, and I've experienced some of that with the Bloodborne threads here on GAF, but I do see a lot of this elitist attitude that is really off putting.

that was poor wording sorry

what i wanna say is that they already made the game easier with the weak bosses in dark souls 2 though they kinda remedied that with the amazing dlc bosses still, the healing change would make the game unnecessarily easier just for the sake of convenience

Wynnebeck

Banned
Hmm not hyped yet. After Bloodborne, I'm playing DS2 for the first time and the game just feels so....bland. Hopefully the game gives more movement type options.

Gracious! From is master of monster and environment design. I enjoy the atmosphere and anticipation of the next locale/creature more than the gameplay.

There is so much art hidden behind their lack of technical skill. Perhaps the profit from DS3 will allow them to finally hire some tech savvy programmers to bring the most out of their art. They're not using anything close to the full capabilities consoles/PC. Turn that geometry up, shaders and 4K textures out the wazoo, physics, particles particles particles, and lighting that will make us praise the sun.

Looks like this round has quite a few giant bosses. Very exciting. Giants are always a plus in my book. That shadow giant thing is especially intriguing.

Would be interesting if that demon woman with a hot branding iron is more than meets the eye. Perhaps that isn't a simple weapon but she can brand the player and the brand will cause a status change of sorts, a curse.
Maybe there are more branding demons? Brand to join a covenant? Just daydreaming. She probably brands your face until there's nothing left to brand.

PC Gamer said:
Another thing that’s new, at least to my recollection: enemies that change stances. When I faced off against one of Dark Souls 3’s knights, he stalked towards me with sword and shield in hand. When I backed away, he decided to switch gears from 'let’s dance' to 'get fucked,' tossed his shield to his back, gripped his sword with both hands, and charged right at me. It was terrifying.

I died.

Yusss, praise be to From

Hmm not hyped yet. After Bloodborne, I'm playing DS2 for the first time and the game just feels so....bland. Hopefully the game gives more movement type options.

DS1>DS2 IMO but DS2 is still a good game. Personally I like DS games because you have more options on how to tackle the game e.g you can play sword and board, mage, 2h weapon etc etc

Melchiah

that was poor wording sorry

what i wanna say is that they already made the game easier with the weak bosses in dark souls 2 though they kinda remedied that with the amazing dlc bosses still, the healing change would make the game unnecessarily easier just for the sake of convenience

The last sentence makes it even more obvious, that you haven't played Bloodborne. It wasn't an easy game by any standards because of it, and from what I've read it has some of the hardest bosses in these games. Some of which would have been nearly impossible without the possibility to heal immediately. Moving from BB to DS just makes the change seem like a step back.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
I was so eagerly watching for a regain mechanic.. even if it's a very, very short window...

No regain :( Oh well. At least some of the Bloodborne improvements stuck!

EDIT: Those blood streams from sword swipes - this is totally the Bloodborne engine.

sn00zer

I was so eagerly watching for a regain mechanic.. even if it's a very, very short window...

No regain :( Oh well. At least some of the Bloodborne improvements stuck!

EDIT: Those blood streams from sword swipes - this is totally the Bloodborne engine.
It looks a lot like Bloodborne technically

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
It looks a lot like Bloodborne technically

And I could not be happier. Part of my love for Bloodborne is purely from the graphics, the animations, and the overall atmosphere from a powerful engine. Some of the areas in OP remind me a little bit too much of Bloodborne, but honestly, I don't mind at all.

Even the lock-on reticle is identical. And I really do like that - less intrusive than DkS 1 or 2.

So hyped.

ppor

PC Gamer said:
Another thing that’s new, at least to my recollection: enemies that change stances. When I faced off against one of Dark Souls 3’s knights, he stalked towards me with sword and shield in hand. When I backed away, he decided to switch gears from 'let’s dance' to 'get fucked,' tossed his shield to his back, gripped his sword with both hands, and charged right at me. It was terrifying.

I died.

Yusss, praise be to From

This was in Dark Souls 1. The rapier Balder knights switch between sword+shield stance and the parrying stance. Same with the Undead Burg thieves. Also Havel switches between one-handed and two-handed attacks.

Soodanim

Movement feels like DS1, that's all I needed to hear. Everything else is a bonus. It looks quite Demon's-ish to me, which isn't a bad thing.

I'm happy to blackout from now until whenever it drops on PC.

Life has become a series of events that happen between Souls games.

P.S. IGN rep is shit at playing Souls games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The last sentence makes it even more obvious, that you haven't played Bloodborne. It wasn't an easy game by any standards because of it, and from what I've read it has some of the hardest bosses in these games. Some of which would have been nearly impossible without the possibility to heal immediately. Moving from BB to DS just makes the change seem like a step back.

Outside of Ebrietas and Watchdog and the chalice dungeons with things like cut health I dont think anything really measure up to the DLC bosses from either Dark Souls, especially once you get into ng+. Of course that only in my opinion but I have beaten all the bosses in all the games. Maybe it will be a similar story with the BB DLC. Usually the main game bosses have horrible weaknesses and low defenses comparably.

Mandelbo

In the Dark Souls games, as well as Demon's Souls, bosses typically aren't nearly as aggressive as they are in Bloodborne. The quicker pace of battles necessitated the dedicated healing button, whereas here you usually have a little more time, so sorting through your items isn't really a burden especially if you only have a couple of items in your quick slots. Realistically you usually won't need more than a few items for each boss fight anyway, so I'm sure you'll get used to it when you start playing!

jb1234

It looks incredible. I can't wait! I basically binged DS1, Demon's and DS2 over the course of four months. Working on Bloodborne now.

Only played Bloodborne but i'm pumped for this, i'm liking the fact the combat is similar pace to BB, from what others have said about previous souls games I don't think I would have liked the slower paced combat.

Despera

Banned
Only played Bloodborne but i'm pumped for this, i'm liking the fact the combat is similar pace to BB, from what others have said about previous souls games I don't think I would have liked the slower paced combat.
It's actually much closer to DS1 style movement and combat, with a few tweaks here and there to make certain actions a tad bit faster. Definitely nothing like Bloodborne in terms of speed.

Vidpixel

Aesthetically speaking, it's pretty startling just how similar this looks to Bloodborne. Hopefully, the individuals areas of this game will be pretty unique from one another, as the monotone and similar-looking color palette of a majority of the sections in Bloodborne was a little disappointing, especially compared to the first Dark Souls.

I do think reverting back to not having a dedicated healing button is pretty silly, as is going back to utilizing that ginormous H.U.D.

Kinda sad about warping, interconnected world of Dark Souls 1 was a piece of art.

From what we know, it's still interconnected; Moreover Bloodborne had warping too. You had to go through hunters dream, alright, but was it ever confirmed the safe place in this one was not Nexus-like ?

I love the art style of these games. Enjoy watching other people play them, as I don't have the patience for a controller throwing hard experience.

Any chance of an easy mode? They can call it chicken shit or something.

Top Bottom