• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Ayer, Margot Robbie Reteam for All-Female DC Villains Movie Gotham City Sirens

Status
Not open for further replies.
yo real talk, Batman Forever is actually pretty decent

That was probably unfair because Val was pretty good as the Batman and pretty much saved the movie. I really didn't like the rest though.

It needed more Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze. Now that was awfulsome!

The only really interesting thing about this news is that Ayer is, presumably, doing this film rather than the sequel to Suicide Squad.

Rumours have it Warners have already set a writer (or writers ???) to script the Suicide Squad sequel and that they wanted it ready for 2019. Maybe this has taken its place?

Either way Suicide Squad was too big of a hit in terms of box office and merch etc to not get a sequel sooner rather than later.

I think they're gonna double up on Squad, do this movie, and do the Will Smith solo

Cause what did people like about Squad the most? Those two

I almost forgot this masterpiece I made.
giphy.gif

Ayer has made a bunch of good movies in the past, including one of my favorites ever in End of Watch. Suicide Squad wasn't the greatest but it sure as hell wasn't as bad as people say.

Excited about this announcement tbh

kevin1025

Banned
Money over quality, I guess? It's nice to see there's a different screenwriter involved, but Ayer can always just rewrite it and ruin all that potential good work. The end of the article says it's on a fast track, so another Suicide Squad situation looks possible.

D i Z

They're just taking the piss now.
Those box office dollars for gimmicks over substance or anything good (legacy be damned) with the emergency "reboot" button when they find another hot director to hang a new Batman onto. That's the game plan.

Either way I'm all ready for a new Catwoman. I also wouldn't be surprised if the studio has already signed up someone to play her. Emily Blunt, whom the studio is a big fan of? Or, as an outside choice how about Rihanna?

MYYr2Nf.jpg

...I can see it.

And look, she already started preparing for it:

IbjsKdc.jpg

I almost forgot this masterpiece I made.
giphy.gif

lmao

And it didn't get a rewrite. So why would Geneva Robertson-Dworet "ruin" script with a rewrite.

Lmao at this legacy talk.

what are you even talking about

ArjanN

I kinda enjoyed Suicide Squad although admittedly that was with lowered expectations and without having to pay for it myself,

I think they're gonna double up on Squad, do this movie, and do the Will Smith solo

Pretty much. Will Smith is a big enough name that''ll do well, and Deadshot is already a pretty easy to do superhero, since he's just a guy with guns.

Ross61

Add Ayer to what? Am I supposed to piece your posts together to get what you're trying to say?

This is like watching Suicide Squad all over again.
You know what I'm saying. If Suicide Squad script didn't get a rewrite why would Gotham City Sirens get one? Why would Ayer rewrite Geneva Robertson-Dworet Sirens script just to add a racist stereo type?

score the entire Deadshot movie to Action Bronson music. that was the best scene in this movie.

harley was shit, but i get it she's very popular so it makes sense why this is happening.

Kibbles

so Catwoman and Poison Ivy are going to have fucking tattoos all over the bodies, right? All over their faces, right? Great...I can wait.

I'd rather Batman characters be introduced, re-introduced in the actual Batman films, where, hopefully, Affleck can do them justice.
Hopefully Ben gets to it in his movie first even if it's just like mugshots and shit. Just get the designs locked in before Ayer touches it.

You know what I'm saying. If Suicide Squad script didn't get a rewrite why would Gotham City Sirens get one? Why would Ayer rewrite Geneva Robertson-Dworet Sirens script just to add a racist stereo type?

Ayer had to write the script for SS in 6 weeks. There wasn't enough time for a first draft, let alone a rewrite.

score the entire Deadshot movie to Action Bronson music. that was the best scene in this movie.

harley was shit, but i get it she's very popular so it makes sense why this is happening.

If ever you're gonna make the theatrical of one of these movies R-rated, the Deadshot movie is the one you do it.

He's an assassin, he kills people for money.

You kinda need to be able to show him killing people.

yeah time really wasn't the issue here. it's a comic book movie, not some thoughtful character piece or some shit. 6 weeks was more than enough to crack a script on this one.

movie just sucked. it is what it is, it's not like the guy is reliable with his output so it was never a sure thing.

Will Smith was eating one chicken leg by a window away from being the leader of the task force. Makes more sense to have him in a sequel than a spin-off.

Honestly what would redeem a Suicide Squad 2 for me is if Rope Guy has an identical twin brother and he's part of the team.

Will Smith was eating one chicken leg by a window away from being the leader of the task force. Makes more sense to have him in a sequel than a spin-off.

Honestly what would redeem a Suicide Squad 2 for me is if Rope Guy has an identical twin brother and he's part of the team.

I'm almost certain both will be back for Squad 2

But this keeps the talent busy in the interim, and can probably do really well even with smaller budgets

He's written better scripts in less time. There was more than enough time for a rewrite.

I am still not sure what you're arguing here. I joked around saying that Ayer might rewrite the script for this to fit in a racist joke or two. And you're saying that since Suicide Squad, written by David Ayer, didn't get a rewrite by David Ayer, Gotham City Sirens won't either?

Which scene was that?

Effect

If DC is having trouble with filling that March 2018 date with Flash due to the director trouble I think you could fit a low special effects Deadshot film into that date. Keep the location small. Deadshot vs one enemy or a horde of enemies ala Dredd or The Raid. A very straight forward story (have it an items he needs to get or person he needs to kill is related to the bigger DC universe) with some twist. Assuming they have anything to go with at this point and have a director in mind.

I'm almost certain both will be back for Squad 2

But this keeps the talent busy in the interim, and can probably do really well even with smaller budgets

Alternatively, Deadshot's movie could be a Secret Six movie. There's overlap with Suicide Squad but whatever. It can be grounded instead of magic and big effects. Assuming Deathstroke doesn't die in The Batman, he could join the team. Plus some rogues from The Flash.

The Light

Dang and here I thought birds of prey would be there go to. This makes sense though with WB wanting to use Robbie as much as they can

Platy

As a Joker fan... I really hope so too. I don't want Ayer ruining him more than he already did. No on the Harley/Ivy thing though. You know they'll write it terribly, and just play it up for titillation. I kind of hate how Ivy's character was reduced to a supportive best friend/occasional fuck buddy. Character used to be so much more.

Also, reminder that Ivy isn't a healthy relationship for Harley either:

nkb3SbF.png

Here's Ivy about to choke out Harley over a fucking plant. Ivy used to be an insane criminal with character of her own before she was reduced to Harley's supportive friend.

I can understand your worries about a lgbt relationship on movies like that... but you have to start somewhere =P

Also it is much easier to understand ivy choking harley for a plant than it is to understand joker trowing her out of the window just because.
Ivy is hard to deal and as humans goes, she loves harley. The problem is that humans are not on the top of her priorities =P
Joker's problems are much closer to real abusive relationships

Sesha

So DC is go to release two female lead movies years before Marvel even releases one ? Hold this L real quick fanboys.

Not only female led but including one all female team. It would be like if Marvel had an A-Force or Fearless Defenders movie in the works in addition to CapMar.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I can understand your worries about a lgbt relationship on movies like that... but you have to start somewhere =P

Also it is much easier to understand ivy choking harley for a plant than it is to understand joker trowing her out of the window just because.
Ivy is hard to deal and as humans goes, she loves harley. The problem is that humans are not on the top of her priorities =P

both are insane criminals with their priorities elsewhere. just because ivy has a focus on plants doesnt remove it from an abusive relationship. if criminals like titania and creel can make their shit work without bouts of crazy, then other villains should as well

I was all into Ayer until Suicide Squad. Dude had a better-than-most batting average until that film came out. And I didn't even hate Suicide Squad. I just didn't think it lived up to the potential.

Not really interested in this right now.

Ahasverus

I'd suppose Johns and the new DC board will do something about the more controversial aspects these time, Ayer had free rign last time.

So DC is go to release two female lead movies years before Marvel even releases one ? Hold this L real quick fanboys.

Technically, Ant-Man & The Wasp is "only" one year after Wonder Woman but that's a shared lead. Captain Marvel is almost 2 years after Wonder Woman.

And yes, it's quite disappointing.

They're both abusive.

The entire story arc of their original team-ups was "Harley ditches Joker, finds a new friend, new friend also turns out to be an abusive creep, maybe hanging out with sociopathic mass murderers isn't a good idea." You were supposed to see Harley as the victim because she keeps getting manipulated into abusive relationships.

It wasn't until later that Poison Ivy basically became the straight-man to Harley.

Platy

both are insane criminals with their priorities elsewhere. just because ivy has a focus on plants doesnt remove it from an abusive relationship. if criminals like titania and creel can make their shit work without bouts of crazy, then other villains should as well

What I meant is that Ivy is way more "manageable" than joker.

Compared to the Clown she is like dating someone with OCD ... you just follow how she wants to take care of the place and everything is cool.

There is no "everything is cool" with joker. That is like his character description

I'd suppose Johns and the new DC board will do something about the more controversial aspects these time, Ayer had free rign last time.

It's fairer to say Ayer had free reign and they did what they could to reshoot and dampen it for the final product. Doubt it'd be this fantastic movie if he was able to complete the original vision, but it wouldn't have been as messy and scatterbrained.

At a point they were OK with Ayer filming an abusive Harley and Joker relationship and later decided to cut it all out. To where they insert shots of Harley saying she's fine with Joker torturing her, in a scene that likely would've been cut if not so important.

So to that end, I don't know if it'll be as much of a mess if they set out to make a soft film from the jump. If people liked the Suicide Squad they got, it'll be a better that. But it's unappealing for me.

I'd have much confidence in this, if Ayer wasn't directing again. Sure Suicide Squad made money, and has surprisingly decent legs, but WB / DC should really learn from their mistakes, and it doesn't seem like they are. Sign!

Geoff.

Geoff, stop this.

Stop this Geoff.

Can't entirely blame him. WB was already trying to get in this production before Johns even took over.

Either way I'm all ready for a new Catwoman. I also wouldn't be surprised if the studio has already signed up someone to play her. Emily Blunt, whom the studio is a big fan of? Or, as an outside choice how about Rihanna?

Give me Paula Patton. If Batman is older in this universe, Catwoman should be too.

Slashlen

I expect this to be bad, like all of the other DC movies, but it'll probably trigger another online shitstorm and GAF will decide to love it anyway.

Ahasverus

It's fairer to say Ayer had free reign and they did what they could to reshoot and dampen it for the final product. Doubt it'd be this fantastic movie if he was able to complete the original vision, but it wouldn't have been as messy and scatterbrained.

At a point they were OK with Ayer filming an abusive Harley and Joker relationship and later decided to cut it all out. To where they insert shots of Harley saying she's fine with Joker torturing her, in a scene that likely would've been cut if not so important.

So to that end, I don't know if it'll be as much of a mess if they set out to make a soft film from the jump. If people liked the Suicide Squad they got, it'll be a better that. But it's unappealing for me.
I mean, yeah you're right, but it were the old suits who ordered the SS reshoots, not the new board whose first movie is Justice League I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom