• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno if the lady on the way right is Superwoman poodle, the s is drawn differently.

superwoman.jpg

Wonder if those were just concept art sketches they decided not to go with.

Waiting for Godot.

This is some a+ reference game you've got going here. Had go pull up the TvTropes page for that shit.

I was thinking that too. But I would also expect him to have a quiver or bow behind him.

Yeah, true. I dunno.

I dunno if the lady on the way right is Superwoman poodle, the s is drawn differently.

Wonder if those were just concept art sketches they decided not to go with.

Hmm, yeah, it's possible.

That general costume is a lot closer to the silhouette than Supergirl's though. If it is anything, I'd wager it's the JLA team. Especially with her flying with the Blue Angels up there.

So, as somebody who hasn't read any N52 Green Arrow stuff outside of Lemire/Sorrentino, should I be worried that Ben Percy is staying on with Rebirth? I LOVE his new look, but obviously that isn't enough to carry the book, lol.

Hmm maybe a little. I would wait for reception before counting it out, but Percy's run has been a bit bizarre. Something involving wargs. I'm not even sure.

Hyped for this "Better than Batman" Nightwing arc.

He is
better than Batman

Thanks for tagging that. It's the legit ending to that arc, so we don't want people being spoiled.

VanWinkle

Hmm maybe a little. I would wait for reception before counting it out, but Percy's run has been a bit bizarre. Something involving wargs. I'm not even sure.

Thanks. I checked out the work of the two artists and I love both of their styles, so that at least gives me reason to be excited.

Otto Schmidt:
3494f75c1c2ca45ba4a7e709f06cf23e._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Juan Ferreyra
f3eb856973c4303129fc0f2a34adbdf0._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Relatively hyped overall.

From a friend at Wondercon:

From the press only event at Wondercon (via Newsarama):

Johns said characters like the New Gods, Shazam, and the Legion of Super-Heroes would all appear once Rebirth gets underway, along with other properties, and that there is a "Story to tell" about how some of them make it into the universe.

Johns said specifically that there is a "larger story" to tell about the Legion of Super-Heroes.

MartyStu

We don't, but it's probably not. Despite the name, he doesn't really wear a hood much. And his old/new look is back, so the costume doesn't have on anymore :p

More likely to be Green Arrow, at a total guess.

Also they changed his fucking helmet again.

They need to just sit all their artists down in a room and hash out what the fuck that thing is supposed to look like.

The fact that noone can make up their mind about it is hilarious.

They were, to the point where Pre-N52 Superman's book is pulling down numbers on par or better than Post-N52 Superman's books :p

Not really. It spiked due to debut numbers, but it's never beaten the actual Superman books.

October 2015

49. Superman 45 42,693
61. Action Comics 45 36,560
64. Superman Lois and Clark 1 35,009

November 2015

55. Superman 46 41,657
70. Action Comics 46 35,569
109. Superman Lois and Clark 2 22,898

December 2015

47. Superman 47 47,377
91. Action Comics 47 29,021
127. Superman Lois and Clark 3 21,630

January 2016

47. Superman 48 37,690
60. Action Comics 48 31,958
90. Superman Lois and Clark 4 23,766

February 2016

44. Superman 49 36,318
57. Action Comics 49 31,496
87. Superman Lois and Clark 5 22,775

Superman dropped 15% in that time. Action Comics dropped 14%. Lois and Clark? 35%.

It performs below Superman/Wonder Woman and Batman/Superman. If anything, the move just adds a ton of confusion, in that I was confused if New 52 Superman was going away and I'm comic-savvy.

Not really. It spiked due to debut numbers, but it's never beaten the actual Superman books.

October 2015

49. Superman 45 42,693
61. Action Comics 45 36,560
64. Superman Lois and Clark 1 35,009

November 2015

55. Superman 46 41,657
70. Action Comics 46 35,569
109. Superman Lois and Clark 2 22,898

December 2015

47. Superman 47 47,377
91. Action Comics 47 29,021
127. Superman Lois and Clark 3 21,630

January 2016

47. Superman 48 37,690
60. Action Comics 48 31,958
90. Superman Lois and Clark 4 23,766

February 2016

44. Superman 49 36,318
57. Action Comics 49 31,496
87. Superman Lois and Clark 5 22,775

Superman dropped 15% in that time. Action Comics dropped 14%. Lois and Clark? 35%.

It performs below Superman/Wonder Woman and Batman/Superman. If anything, the move just adds a ton of confusion, in that I was confused if New 52 Superman was going away and I'm comic-savvy.

Yeah. I mean, much as I love the book personally, its pretty clearly a relative niche, albeit one that has also been relatively stable after the first issue.

Perhaps it was a way to continue the storylone (though I somehow doubt this was always the plan) whilst not taking up an additional book?

Yeah. I mean, much as I love the book personally, its pretty clearly a relative niche, albeit one that has also been relatively stable after the first issue.

Perhaps it was a way to continue the storylone (though I somehow doubt this was always the plan) whilst not taking up an additional book?

Once you get over the confusion aspect, you have DC essentially moving to consolidate New 52 Superman's readers in a single book, while also throwing a bone towards Post-Crisis Superman fans. I honestly think they'll get more out of Jon Kent Superboy than his father.

shoreu

First off, he still is. Secondly, doesnt DC discriminate by not allowing gay kisses/marriage? Sad!

If DC ran Kamala Khan, DiDio would be making her register right now.

To steal a GAF meme, itsfuckingnothing.gif. This is the exact equivalent of when Marvel resets its numbering every few years to boost sales temporarily. Same with the twice per month schedule. $2.99 x 2 = a price increase to keep up with all the mainline books. It will work...for a few months.

Nah bro midniter banged like 4 dudes in his first book.

Rebirth kind of took me by surprise. They announced a bunch of titles today that I'm interested in checking out. Mainly Rucka Wonder Woman and Superwoman, but a bunch of others too.

Man there is a lot of gaudy ass coloring in some of those promo pieces.

A lot of those titles sound pretty interesting and have some solid creaive teams behind them. Excited most for Rucka WW and Chinese Superman

Once you get over the confusion aspect, you have DC essentially moving to consolidate New 52 Superman's readers in a single book, while also throwing a bone towards Post-Crisis Superman fans. I honestly think they'll get more out of Jon Kent Superboy than his father.

Could be. I'm curious about the decision to make Clark White the 'main' Superman again, and the more I think about it, the more it seems like that this does have to be permanent in some fashion... because of Jon. As you say, the character concept of 'actual son of Superman' has a lot of potential to it, particularly if paired with the likes of Damian. But it also means that, in order to explain where Jon comes from, his father needs to remain in some way an acknowledged fact of the setting.

So many great announcements today. I was cautiously optimistic when they announced Rebirth and now I'm so excited! Tim in Detective Comics with a new costume has me so hyped, and Nightwing back with his black and blue costume is awesome. Can't wait for May and June so we can start reading this stuff :)

KonradLaw

I liked what I saw. The highlight for me is Hellblazer. I liked Constantine: Hellblazer, but it was a bit too pretty and too cool. Now they gave it to british writer, one from original Hellblazer's run (well..side story, but still) and the first picture make Constantine look really rough and not so pretty. So yeah hyped like hell.

Also Green Arrow looks nice, as I've enjoyed Percy's run so far and the new art team is better than the previous one. Plus with two issues a month he should be able to make longer and more complex stories. I've felt like he was struggling against the little space typical 30 pages/month offered, especially since he's a novelist first and foremost.

All-Star Batman seems like crazy good idea, so excited about that too.

BTW..is that line-up showed at the con going to be ALL that DC will be publishing regularly? Because with Swamp Thing joining Constantine on a story and no mention of monthly series of his own it looks like they will end Len Wein's run and cancel the series?

Cosign!
Also CHRISTOPHER FRIGGIN PRIEST IS BACK?!

This was the best news to come out of the whole thing. I don't know the first thing about Deathstroke and it doesn't matter. Christopher Priest is writing a comic again, that's all I need. I'm terribly excited for it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Greg Rucka? I'm in.

Also why does DiDio still hate 52? It's one really good comic and is much better than the shitfest that is Countdown.

Sagroth

Is Jessica Cruz keeping the Ring of Volthoom? Not really interested in her just being another GL trainee with a standard ring.

obin_gam

First of all: Why oh why did they have to use the ugly ass Batman Unlimited costume as inpiration for the redo?!!?!

Am not liking the new emblem at all.

Secondly, good that Batman proper is getting a new writer. I love Snyder and Capullo, but they have felt a bit stagnant as of late.

First of all: Why oh why did they have to use the ugly ass Batman Unlimited costume as inpiration for the redo?!!?!

Am not liking the new emblem at all.
That wasn't the inspiration nor is that symbol the same.
Capullo explained each aspect in detail.
f2655-batman_vol_2_33.jpg

purple on the cape symbolizes the gloves from Zero Year.
jim-gordon-batman%20.png

Yellow outline represents Gordon's Batsuit.
New belt is meant to look like fangs.
Costume08.jpg

I think it looks great for something new and different.

obin_gam

That wasn't the inspiration nor is that symbol the same.
Capullo explained each aspect in detail.

purple on the cape symbolizes the gloves from Zero Year.

Yellow outline represents Gordon's Batsuit.
New belt is meant to look like fangs.

Didn't even notice the purple on the cape.
But the yellow outline is bad nonetheless. They should have just gone back to the oval instead.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
BTW..is that line-up showed at the con going to be ALL that DC will be publishing regularly? Because with Swamp Thing joining Constantine on a story and no mention of monthly series of his own it looks like they will end Len Wein's run and cancel the series?
Swamp Thing ongoing already ended. Len Wein's thing was always going to be a miniseries.

Lobdell? Christ, poor Jason Todd fans. Heard he is terrible with the character. Does anyone know who Superwoman is? Character wise I mean, I know several others have held such a title I'm just curious who it is going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom