• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabby

Holy shit, those creative teams.

King heading the Bat-Family now? Seeley on Nightwing? Rucka Wonder Woman? Jurgens Superman and Terry? Abnett on Aquaman? Manapul doing art for Trinity? Giffen on Blue Beetle?

Gonna drop a bunch of Marvel books I'm not in love with to try these out; I'm really excited for how great this all sounds.

And it's going to be $2.99 for each title as well! Huzzah.

squadr0n

All Star Batman looks so legit! Although im not too happy with John Romita Jr. being on art. How are some of these writers going to be able to handle the whole bi monthly releses? Is AS Batman bimonthly? I feel like its going to really hamper the storytelling.

Savitar

You can have Garth and Kaldur'ahm at the same time since, unlike Wally, they're two different people.

They are two different people, very much so so having both of them around could work and I'm sure at some point he will turn up. How he will be used might be another matter but odds are decent enough one day he pops up.

Man I hope Blue Beetle lasts.

Do everything opposite of the last run. That might help quite a bit, can't believe how that was botched. Hell the poor writer for the book was all but forced out and the artist was basically in charge, the writer guys name was still on the book but he did very little of it, worse it cost him some jobs too. The whole thing was a train wreck.

Sou Da

lbJBIIo.png

Should I?

Man I hope Blue Beetle lasts.

You and me both.

All Star Batman looks so legit! Although im not too happy with John Romita Jr. being on art. How are some of these writers going to be able to handle the whole bi monthly releses? Is AS Batman bimonthly? I feel like its going to really hamper the storytelling.

JRJR isn't the only artist, they're also going to have Tula Lotay and Paul Pope, Jock, Sean Gordon Murphy, and others (they don't say who). I think that the plan is to switch to a new artist each arc.

As for how long it's going to run, I'm not sure. It's twice monthly, and it's going to have I think 5 or 6 arcs, but I'm not sure how long each arc is going to run.

lbJBIIo.png

Should I?

Oh hell yes

arkon

They are two different people, very much so so having both of them around could work and I'm sure at some point he will turn up. How he will be used might be another matter but odds are decent enough one day he pops up.

Do everything opposite of the last run. That might help quite a bit, can't believe how that was botched. Hell the poor writer for the book was all but forced out and the artist was basically in charge, the writer guys name was still on the book but he did very little of it, worse it cost him some jobs too. The whole thing was a train wreck.

That was Static Shock not Blue Beetle, different people involved. Bedard still worked on stuff after Blue Beetle with DC.

Veelk

Banned
I also don't know how to feel about Snyder's All Star Batman. The actual story will be great, no doubt about that, but I don't like how they said everything they're going to do is going to be way different than what is normal Batman continuity. It's why I hate having multiple people on the same character unless it's a team book. Also, "All Star" is a lame name for a comic book.

Drayco21

And it's going to be $2.99 for each title as well! Huzzah.

There's nothing about this I don't love.

I've never been a heavy DC reader; and I admit most of my interest in that universe has been kindled by the animated and CW versions, so I'm really looking forward to a new jumping on point.

Sou Da

I also don't know how to feel about Snyder's All Star Batman. The actual story will be great, no doubt about that, but I don't like how they said everything they're going to do is going to be way different than what is normal Batman continuity. It's why I hate having multiple people on the same character unless it's a team book. Also, "All Star" is a lame name for a comic book.

I really wanted to do a ASBAR joke but I know I'd get banned for it if you misunderstood.

Andodalf

Banned
The next semester!

Seriously, I know that they're getting another artist (because Karl Keschel bowed out a couple issues ago, before the Yearbook), but afaik that's the only change. Things proceed as per usual.

Based DC! I visited their office last year and got a Gotham Academy Polo, it's pretty dope!

Savitar

That was Static Shock not Blue Beetle, different people involved. Bedard still worked on stuff after Blue Beetle with DC.

No it was Blue Beetle. The whole rainbow villain thing and everything. There were some interesting articles about it at the time.

arkon

No it was Blue Beetle. The whole rainbow villain thing and everything. There were some interesting articles about it at the time.

Links?

The Static Shock stuff had a back and forth between writer and artist. Don't think Rozum has worked for DC since. I don't remember hearing anything about Blue Beetle though at the time.

aly

As a fan of Grayson I'm pissed. Grayson is soooo damn good. Why are they bringing back Nightwing and constraining Dick to superhero rules again? Dick Grayson minus the bat moral code is a great character. His bat allegiance is more of an anchor at this point. How would this work anyway since everyone knows his identity?

Where's Tim Drake-Wayne?
Where's Cassandra Cain?

From the info they've given, Grayson and the events/characters there are really going to factor into Nightwing, which is why they did'nt want to name the series Spyral. So going back to Batman lite seems unlikely at this point hopefully. No doubt some of the mind wipe tech they introduced will be involved for the identity stuff.

Let us mostly be glad that Tim Drake is escaping the hellhole that is the Teen Titans

I can never unsee the yellow room.

How could anyone forget that masterpiece.

Deadly

Can anyone tell me what's happening with Superman now? Last I checked he was depowered and now I see there's multiple versions of him again and what not.

Vengal

So wait i'm confused pre-new52 superman is now superman again? Or is it just his kid is on the justice league while new 52 superman is still the primary and pre-new52 is now action comics?

Veelk

Banned
How could anyone forget that masterpiece.

My personal favorite is a line that doesn't get circulated as much, but is so, so wrong. Batman thinks back on how his parents died, and...

"I touched my mother's breast."

Sou Da

Can anyone tell me what's happening with Superman now? Last I checked he was depowered and now I see there's multiple versions of him again and what not.

So wait i'm confused pre-new52 superman is now superman again? Or is it just his kid is on the justice league while new 52 superman is still the primary and pre-new52 is now action comics?
It's confusing but Clark got outed as Supes, Pren52 Superman and his family came over and stayed on the low, pren52 Superman came into the light and the public is really confused since there's now a Clark and a Superman again.

So if I just want to read one Superman book, what's my best bet here? I have no idea what's been going on with the character lately. Didn't know they brought back the old Supes.

So if I just want to read one Superman book, what's my best bet here? I have no idea what's been going on with the character lately. Didn't know they brought back the old Supes.

Well, unfortunately, Superman, Action Comics, and Superman/WW have all been doing a three-way crossover for the last few months, and from what I understand that's going to continue.

You might be best off just reading Lois & Clark for now, then grabbing the crossover trades when they come out.

Thanks, I'll stick it on the list

Well, unfortunately, Superman, Action Comics, and Superman/WW have all been doing a three-way crossover for the last few months, and from what I understand that's going to continue.

You might be best off just reading Lois & Clark for now, then grabbing the crossover trades when they come out.

Oh, that's unfortunate. Well, I'll give Superman a shot and if I like it maybe I'll check out the other two.

I didn't even realize Superman/WW was continuing

Thanks, I'll stick it on the list

Oh, that's unfortunate. Well, I'll give Superman a shot and if I like it maybe I'll check out the other two.

I didn't even realize Superman/WW was continuing

Yeah, it's more in the vein of Batman/Superman now that Supes and Wondy broke up.

I'm really kind of bummed about the crossover thing, Action Comics was going in a really interesting direction, and Superman had a fantastic arc largely unrelated to it, but then they had to go all big comicbook fight on us :/

Ross61

I will admit at first I didn't know what to think about the new 52. Then comes along Rebirth, and the jury is still out for me. A few points though:

• I don't understand why, if they are bringing in pre-Flashpoint Lois and Clark (with a kid no less), and restoring Terry McGinnis as Batman Beyond, brought back Spoiler and Cassandra Cain as Batgirl, why in the hell they aren't touching / bringing back pre-Flashpoint Wally West (a.k.a. Best Wally). The entire idea of how they are 'fixing' the things people didn't like about the new 52 universe but won't fix that honestly bugs the ever loving crap out of me, especially considering that the Wally West the new 52 has wastes so much about Wally (this comment on r/DCcomics goes into the issues better than I ever could: Why the new Flash Run is bad) .
    All of this wouldn't bother me nearly as much if they had introduced the new black Flash (which I actually like, its putting DCs strength having a large number of mantles multiple characters can inherit to good use) as anyone else.

• One of Marvel's biggest strengths now was (ironically) losing access to their big 90s franchises, and having to build up B and C Tier franchises to the big leagues. Rebirth does little to address the biggest problem I have with DC, which is that they continue to be the company of the 'Trinity and those other people'. Omega Men has been great, the Starfire solo series has been amazing, and I've honestly liked Grayson. Instead of continuing to make more titles like that which would help diversify their lineup, Starfire is canceled and rolling back into the Titans, Grayson is canceled and going back to Nightwing, and Omega Men is finishing its run and ending (and seemingly not being replaced with anything).
I'm not seeing a ton of things for me as to why, if I had stopped reading most DC comics (especially Flash), I should start now. But it will be interesting to see if their newest round of changes pans out (and which titles get canceled again). At least if they stick to their 2.99 pricing change, it will be more affordable to get titles I wouldn't have been interested in at all at a higher price point.

To be fair, if more people actually bought Grayson, Omega Men, Starfire, and other B and C titles than they would have probably still continue.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I've taken every opportunity to shit on DC for a few years now mostly on how bad their writing was post Nu52 but I got to give them credit these books look interesting (beyond just art) and I am going to buy a few.

Its Good to see DC do something smart for once, its about damn time.

Also was there any word about the "Hickman taking over the legion of superheroes" rumor?

I am hyped. That he's on Hal Jordan.

Not hyped that he'll touch Rayner.

We don't know that he will, Kyle's not a GL and he's not mentioned in the pitch.

I've taken every opportunity to shit on DC for a few years now mostly on how bad their writing was post Nu52 but I got to give them credit these books look interesting (beyond just art) and I am going to buy a few.

Its Good to see DC do something smart for once, its about damn time.

Also was there any word about the "Hickman taking over the legion of superheroes" rumor?

Just a rumor. Might not even be that, the source appears to be him joking about writing for the DCEU.

Iceternal

It's confusing but Clark got outed as Supes, Pren52 Superman and his family came over and stayed on the low, pren52 Superman came into the light and the public is really confused since there's now a Clark and a Superman again.

This kind of nonsense is always why I end up giving up on reading comic books...

clockpunk

At least BatWman is coming back in some capacity - long missed her series, and enjoyed it far more than what Batgirl became...

MartyStu

I thought I was up to date with most of this.

When did pre-Flashpoint Superman get outed? Is this in the latest 'Superman' or 'Superman: Lois and Clark'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom