• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Degica's Muv-Luv Trilogy Kickstarter (Funded) - New Tiers for Physical Vita Reward

Jazz573

Oh, will this be an official one at least? If so, that's good, my interest is renewed.

(fact is, I always failed installing the game on my PC, so an official release would help :V )

Yes, the patch is official. It's mentioned on their Prefundia page.

It's not on the Kickstarter page, because they don't want to cause issues with Kickstarter and adult content.

Shizuka

Who said this? Someone from Degica? The Vita port is being done in Japan and there were implications that they'd also release the port in Japan, so it makes sense that it would be handled better than with Sekai Project.

I've read it on the Muv Luv KS reddit post, but it wasn't directly from a Degica employee.

Ventara

They'll probably offer a Vita copy as an add-on, no?

Even if they do, there's really no point if it's just the same price as it'll be on PSN.

The $150 tier comes with a FREE copy of the Vita version (or android, whichever you choose). Getting the lower physical tiers plus the Vita version (which in all likelihood will be $40), isn't much better (they'd be $120 and $140 respectively).

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Even if they do, there's really no point if it's just the same price as it'll be on PSN.

The $150 tier comes with a FREE copy of the Vita version (or android, whichever you choose). Getting the lower physical tiers plus the Vita version (which in all likelihood will be $40), isn't much better (they'd be $120 and $140 respectively).
I'd be down to have a physical Vita version as a stretch goal. Even if it's priced higher.

Cqef

Their exact quote from the Prefundia:

So yes, it seems official. They can't talk about it on the Kickstarter page though because of KS's policies on adult material.

Thanks. Same deal as the Grisaia KS then (hopefully better handled, because we still can wait for Vita ports :V )

I hope they've fully investigated the realities of publishing on Vita in multiple territories... I seem to recall there have been Kickstarters that promised PSN download codes without realizing that SCEE codes are different, and thus could only provide NA ones when time came to send out backer rewards.

I'm genuinely curious over why this visual novel has been positively received from visual novel audiences. Sadly, I can't find anything notable from Western critics which obviously was a result of its lack of English support over the decade tied with its origin as a eroge title. From what I've heard, it sounds like another Evangelion derivative with its psychological tone switches. Plus, I must confess that I've never experienced an interactive piece of Japanese literature that actually benefited from erotic scenes in character development beyond shock value (Saya no Uta) or shoehorned fan-service (Katawa Shoujo). Anyone care to explain for someone that enjoyed Phoenix Wright, Umineko and Steins;Gate but disliked the aforementioned works?

I'm genuinely curious over why this visual novel has been positively received from visual novel audiences. Sadly, I can't find anything notable from Western critics which obviously was a result of its lack of English support over the decade tied with its origin as a eroge title. From what I've heard, it sounds like another Evangelion derivative with its psychological tone switches. Plus, I must confess that I've never experienced an interactive piece of Japanese literature that actually benefited from erotic scenes in character development beyond shock value (Saya no Uta) or shoehorned fan-service (Katawa Shoujo). Anyone care to explain for someone that enjoyed Phoenix Wright, Umineko and Steins;Gate but disliked the aforementioned works?

This doesn't benefit from erotic scenes either. The base game they're selling without any optional patches won't include them either.

jonjonaug

Muv Luv is popular because of its hard hitting plot and excellent production values. The presentation is utterly top notch and it really puts the "visual" in "visual novel". Also it's not a derivative of Evangelion at all, it's more of a Starship Troopers homage. This isn't "three pilots fight a giant monster every week", it's "multiple squads of pilots and their support units fight huge, thoroughly planned battles against thousands of monsters".

The erotic scenes are pointless and add nothing, but are also like one or two percent of the total script size.

OnFire331

Will this have an option for dual language (English and Japanese) like Higurashi, Narcissu and Planetarian have? I thought I saw this confirmed (with ixtl wanting Japanese audiences on-board and all) but I can't find any word regarding this from Degica.

nampad

I am surprised this game is raking in so much support. I didn't know anything about it but now I am interested in the Vita version :)

I hope it hits the android/vita mark.

Portable is the only way I am willing to play any vn.

It looks likely though thankfully.

I watched the muv luve alternative anime for a bit and dropped it because it was shitty, hope this is better.

jonjonaug

I hope it hits the android/vita mark.

Portable is the only way I am willing to play any vn.

It looks likely though thankfully.

I watched the muv luve alternative anime for a bit and dropped it because it was shitty, hope this is better.

The Muv Luv Alternative anime was based off of a bad spinoff, not the main thing.

Lain

The first stretch goal is just around the corner on the second day, pretty good.
The Vita stretch is completely doable and I look forward to it, though I want the last stretch goal a bit more.

The Muv Luv Alternative anime was based off of a bad spinoff, not the main thing.

Yeah, the only reason why it got an adaptation was because it worked as a stand-alone thing, as opposed to the main series which would be a huge undertaking due to length or the other spinoffs which have too many ties to the main series to stand on their own.

It's been kind of interesting watching the visual novel scene over the years. I 'joined' around 2007. 2008 saw many visual novels get picked up for fan TL. There was a sort of explosion around the 2009-2011 with many fan translation projects finishing and Mangagamer competing with Jast and picking up some visual novels of genuine prestige. Things lulled a bit since then, but since 2014 there has been an interesting renaissance (I hesitate to call it that since this is the translation scene and it never was in a golden age in the first place). I have stopped rabidly consuming visual novels since I hit my twenties, so it is both fun and sad to see what is happening from a more removed point of view.

I never got around to reading Muv-luv, I will be trying to read it someday soon. There was a bit of drama over the Muv-luv fan TL back in the day, which makes me sort of confused why there is an english licence now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Out of curiosity, how interactive is the game? Totally straightforward, or are there a lot of choices along the way. I'm in at the $150 tier either way, but.. Yeah.

Out of curiosity, how interactive is the game? Totally straightforward, or are there a lot of choices along the way. I'm in at the $150 tier either way, but.. Yeah.

It's not very interactive. There's branching and choices in Extra, some minor choices in Unlimited that don't mean much, and Muv Luv Alternate is completely linear.

Übersandvich;179969122 said:
There was a bit of drama over the Muv-luv fan TL back in the day, which makes me sort of confused why there is an english licence now.
As this Kickstarter shows, there's too much money to be made to forgo this just because Ixrec torpedoed MangaGamer's chances of a localization years ago.

Rymuth

Well, that was fast. Congrats.

The first game also has the best cameo driver ever.

latest
Amazing!

That's crazy considering that there's no Japanese Vita version for them to do a localization of.

Or it could be that there is one, it just hasn't been announced yet. That would make more sense.

They've hinted that a Japanese Vita release is coming. Age/Ixtl isn't going to do all this work, including adding new CGs and such, and not release it in Japan.

But I'm not sure how much I trust Degica's overly ambitious release dates either. I suspect that we won't actually get the first Muv Luv by March.

Shizuka

They've hinted that a Japanese Vita release is coming. Age/Ixtl isn't going to do all this work, including adding new CGs and such, and not release it in Japan.

Which is why it makes the world of a difference having the developer behind this project.

Sekai Project, instead of licensing the Prototype ports for the Grisaia games, chose to develop one of their own. I might be off, but I'd guess it's way cheaper to license, specially when you are already dealing with the original developer and publisher, instead of porting them from scratch. They chose the hard way and they're hiding behind Sony, they're the only publisher I've seen, in recent history, having problems getting a Sony certification, and the fact that they're publishing visual novels doesn't matter, when games are widespread on the platform right now.

On another note, how does the OT look now?

Jazz573

Dio

Banned
I wonder if they're being intentionally vague because of what happened to the Grisaia Kickstarter.

Oh hey, I must not have been the only one to ask about if they're being misleading regarding the pillows.

They actually just edited the kickstarter page and added this in the FAQs:

・Pillow Covers are 2-way tricot full body size. Designs may be revealed mid-late in the campaign.

So they're the real deal, not shitty regular pillows.

OnFire331

It seems âge/ixtl's already started to work on the project. They most likely started working on it (and on the Vita port) before the campaign began to actually make those deadlines they're aiming, hoping that this kickstarter does well enough for funds.

The Muv-Luv Team said:
We’ve already begun work on this project and will continue to keep you updated throughout the campaign and beyond!

ohlawd

All the kickstaters since project scissor I backed I used my debit card. Maybe you didn't see the options for additional payment methods.

and Project Scissor happened on January

yeah alright I see why I've missed it. I avoided KS since a year ago because all they took were Amazon payments and that shit is US only. they took Paypal too but that was a roundabout way of paying

okay I got a month to decide to back. they don't charge until Nov 3 but Oct and Nov are nuts with games so iunno if I can squeeze an extra $60 to back

Jazz573

and Project Scissor happened on January

yeah alright I see why I've missed it. I avoided KS since a year ago because all they took were Amazon payments and that shit is US only. they took Paypal too but that was a roundabout way of paying

okay I got a month to decide to back. they don't charge until Nov 3 but Oct and Nov are nuts with games so iunno if I can squeeze an extra $60 to back

Canadian here, no, Amazon Payments is not US exclusive. :p

Played Muv Luv, only finished the first game. Played a couple of hours into the second game and called it quits. Would rather play Alternative than go through Unlimited again. Hope it reaches all its KS goals.

upandaway

Played Muv Luv, only finished the first game. Played a couple of hours into the second game and called it quits. Would rather play Alternative than go through Unlimited again. Hope it reaches all its KS goals.
Alternative is a direct continuation to Unlimited. I'd say playing Unlimited to the end is more important than Extra

I'm going to out down $80 or $100 but that $150 is really tempting!
Yeah the 150 one looks really really good. Especially if they hit the last couple of stretch goals.

Top Bottom