• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Free to Play Content Infograph

VertigoOA

Banned
You have to remember that stat is across 3 platforms and a 24 hour timespan, it's not 800k-1m all day long on each platform.

I never said per platform... That stat still keeps Destiny 2 more played than Divsion 2, PUBG, Overwatch Monster Hunter and Warframe.

And it’s not even free... yet.

This is could be a huge power play for Bungie.

I don’t know about you guys... but I’m rooting for the only independent aaa game developer in the industry.

VertigoOA

Banned
I agree on the clans talk but I'd really like to find people who are as active as me to play with, way more fun with people you build a rapport with.

I used to read DestinyGAF when I couldn’t even post here or tolerate reading anything dgaf or wrasslegaf without wanting to rip my hair out. The communities don’t exist here anymore.

Now... if we are talking in-game solutions to this issue....

Proximity voice chat . Always on in all public areas.

Mithos

I'm not finding any preload for Destiny 2 on PS Store (Europe) unless preload means buy the game and preload, I'm looking for the 100% free version.
But then again, require 165GB.... Only have ~100GB left free.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I agree on the clans talk but I'd really like to find people who are as active as me to play with, way more fun with people you build a rapport with.

That's been my biggest issue with group stuff in D2, I just want people who actually want to play for more then an hour here and there and do some GRIND!@!

MastAndo

I'm primarily a solo player, but still find myself coming back to Destiny again and again, even if the game, by design, isn't really catered to me. It's just very good at what it does. Even a casual level of grind is pretty satisfying and rewarding, and the gunplay is so damn good, it's almost cathartic. A menial task is made fun by the fact that just wandering around popping heads is so enjoyable. I also feel the fact that the production value in graphics, music, etc. being so top notch certainly helps the replayability of it all.

So yeah, I know the game garners a bunch of hate (some of it I understand, most I don't), but it's definitely worth trying for free. It's an impressive amount of content and overall, just a really fun package.

Holammer

Welp, pre-load finished, now we wait.
I'm super curious to see how the game fares on Steam, its user score and engagement, will it claim (and hold) a spot in the top10 played games, that sort of stuff. Despite a very generous F2P option the deluxe edition and regular upgrade version still rule Global Top Sellers like father and son.
Almost as if supporting the game constitutes an act of giving Activision the finger.

RSB

Banned
From what I've read, it seems Bungie is finally embracing the term MMO to describe Destiny. It was kind of funny back in the D1 days how much they wanted to avoid calling it an MMO. Even funnier were those that called it an MMO or not an MMO depending on which bad design decision they were trying to defend.

I'm not much of a fan of MMO's (they can be fun fo a while, but sooner or later they end up feeling like a second job) but at least now that they are finally admiting what it is, it should be easier for them to realize its full potential.

Though now I wonder if they're still planning to release a Destiny 3 eventually, or if they'll keep updating Destiny 2 with new content (it would also be cool if they somehow managed to import all/most D1 content into D2)

Last edited:

Dthomp

From what I've read, it seems Bungie is finally embracing the term MMO to describe Destiny. It was kind of funny back in the D1 days how much they wanted to avoid calling it an MMO. Even funnier were those that called it an MMO or not an MMO depending on which bad design decision they were trying to defend.

I'm not much of a fan of MMO's (they can be fun fo a while, but sooner or later they end up feeling like a second job) but at least now that they are finally admiting what it is, it should be easier for them to realize its full potential.

Though now I wonder if they're still planning to release a Destiny 3 eventually, or if they'll keep updating Destiny 2 with new content (it would also be cool if they somehow managed to import all/most D1 content into D2)

Thought I'd read that they want to support D2 for like 5 more years, which I find unlikely with new consoles next year. I mean we'll have backwards compatibility but once we see next next gen shooters we'll wonder where the heck a new engine for Destiny is.

RSB

Banned
Thought I'd read that they want to support D2 for like 5 more years, which I find unlikely with new consoles next year. I mean we'll have backwards compatibility but once we see next next gen shooters we'll wonder where the heck a new engine for Destiny is.
Yeah, that's true.

For next gen, whether they are porting Destiny 2 into next gen or making Destiny 3, I hope Bungie finally embraces 60fps on consoles too. Pretty much every other important shooter has already made the jump, and while Destiny already feels great compared to other ADS shooters (probably the best) it would be so much better at 60fps.

Dthomp

Yeah, that's true.

For next gen, whether they are porting Destiny 2 into next gen or making Destiny 3, I hope Bungie finally embraces 60fps on consoles too. Pretty much every other important shooter has already made the jump, and while Destiny already feels great compared to other ADS shooters (probably the best) it would be so much better at 60fps.

To be honest, first thing I'd like the focus to be on is dedicated servers. It's a crying shame we still don't have them.

Walledhouse

Should I just start fresh on PC or import progress from ps4?
Import, I’d say. Everyone is going to be at the same gear level; you’ll just have access to your existing collection - meaning you can repurchase any piece of equipment you’ve found before.

I’m going to roll a Warlock for the first time; to see the new first level they added; and since I know I won’t have to replay The Red War or level up before doing preferred content.

I planned ahead of time and bought a nice selection of Warlock exotics from Xur. And I never even tried the Forsaken expansion so I get to try it all with Armour 2.0; the new finishers; new artifact; and upgrade system.

Me right now:
image0.jpg

How is Destiny 2? I want to support Bungie taking over the IP, so I'd have no problem paying for the standard edition if it's any good. I tried the original Destiny during its beta and it seemed fun enough, but wasn't something I felt like investing time in back then. Is it an improvement or?

Dthomp

How is Destiny 2? I want to support Bungie taking over the IP, so I'd have no problem paying for the standard edition if it's any good. I tried the original Destiny during its beta and it seemed fun enough, but wasn't something I felt like investing time in back then. Is it an improvement or?

Kind of more of the same to be honest. If you played D1 and it didn't hook you, I wouldn't think D2 would do much more but there is a decent sample size of FTP stuff to try out if you want to. The Time Sink will depend on what you are looking to get out of the game. If you want to collect everything weapon wise, that's gonna take a huge investment and money.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

if all you've played is the D1 Beta then that's not gonna give you a good idea of what the game is like. The game is going F2P today so no harm in jumping in and seeing how you like it. with it going F2P you get the base game + the first 2 (small) expansions. overall i enjoyed that experience and got about 70 hours out of it. not bad for being free now....

the game is an insane grindfest. you can sink hundreds or thousands of hours into it if you so wish. i am more of a casual just there for whatever story/lore there is, the super fun combat/gunplay, and doing strikes/nightfalls. i'm not into the whole raiding thing. i don't mind grinding but i'm definitely not investing the amount of time needed to get everything done.

i think the game now more than ever will cater to anyone. if you just want to mess around you will still get lots of hours out of it. if you want to treat it as a second job then go for it.

Last edited:

manfestival

I feel like we this should honestly have its own thread. It is basically a relaunch of the game coupled in with the expansion of the game.
It is free to play officially as of today with like more than half of its content unlocked. Play it and see for yourself

Last edited:
I feel like we this should honestly have its own thread. It is basically a relaunch of the game coupled in with the expansion of the game.

Bungie always called it an MMO, it was Activision who stopped it from being official.

NickFire

I don't think most people who bought it are stressing about the 60 bucks they spent two years ago.
Not stressing about the 100 from back then. But still pissed about the constant we know there are issues and pay more to find out how they get fixed. IE, bad will is still there and not paying them another penny.

RSB

Banned
Bungie always called it an MMO, it was Activision who stopped it from being official.
I don't know if it was bacause Activision told them so, but I definitely remember Bungie avoiding the term MMO back in the D1 days. Shared world shooter was the term they used to describe it in interviews and other public events. MMO lite was how I called it, personally.

I don't know if it was bacause Activision told them so, but I definitely remember Bungie avoiding the term MMO back in the D1 days. Shared world shooter was the term they used to describe it in interviews and other public events. MMO lite was how I called it, personally.

Yeah, I'm telling you Activision stopped them, they started calling it MMO the second they separated from Activision, if I could find the interview where they say they're happy to call it an MMO now and make it free to play I would link you.

Game should be up, though account transfers are still unavailable.

I'll wait some more.

EDIT: transfer is up and it's a buggy mess. Come on Bungle.

Last edited:

RSB

Banned
Yeah, I'm telling you Activision stopped them, they started calling it MMO the second they separated from Activision, if I could find the interview where they say they're happy to call it an MMO now and make it free to play I would link you.
Yeah, well, I have no idea what was going on behind the scenes between Bungie and Activision. What I know is that, publicly, Bungie has avoided the term MMO until Shadowkeep.

Anyway, it's good they now openly admit Destiny is an MMO, and also that they are no longer working for Activision.

And yeah, I've seen that interview (it was around Shadowkeep's reveal I think?) that's why I said that it's good they are finally admitting what it is.

Last edited:

NickFire

Yeah, well, I have no idea what was going on behind the scenes between Bungie and Activision. What I know is that, publicly, Bungie has avoided the term MMO until Shadowkeep.

Anyway, it's good they now openly admit Destiny is an MMO, and also that they are no longer working for Activision.

And yeah, I've seen that interview (it was around Shadowkeep's reveal I think?) that's why I said that it's good they are finally admitting what it is.
Reading that they are calling it a MMO picks my interest more than anything I have read about the game since the summer after launch. Always hoped that one day the PvP would be more than just crucible. Does their calling it an MMO increase the chances of that down the road?

RSB

Banned
Found it.

https://www.gamesradar.com/bungie-c...s-expanded-rpg-elements-and-pvp-improvements/

Destiny general manager Mark Noseworthy added that "we've been worried about that term [MMO] for a long time, we've shied away from it. It comes with a lot of baggage. Does that mean it's a subscription game? Do you have to play with a mouse and keyboard? But this is one of those things where, we're on our own now, and it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, so it's a duck. We can accept that this is what the game is."

Not a fan of MMO's myself, but it's a very good thing IMO, that they are fully accepting what Destiny is. Now they should feel more free to be a bit more creative/experimental with the game.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Between destiny and destiny 2 there were three years in between. If it's the same here then a sequel will probably hit around next year?

Feels kinda late to the party.

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
If I start a new character do I have to go trough that abject D2 vanilla campaign or can I jump in to the add-ons?
I don't want to hear that corrupted AI banter ever again in my life.

NickFire

Between destiny and destiny 2 there were three years in between. If it's the same here then a sequel will probably hit around next year?

Feels kinda late to the party.
If they're calling it a MMO publicly, isn't it possible they move away from the sequel route?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If they're calling it a MMO publicly, isn't it possible they move away from the sequel route?

I don't think that's possible for them. At some point the base game gets too big for consoles in size which would be problematic.

manfestival

It is possible, I know they were starting work on Destiny 3(but that was probably part of a deal with activision). However, I imagine that they may feel that they are in a good place with no need to move into another game. The main screen would need a rework for sure but I can see this all being ok

Walledhouse

If I start a new character do I have to go trough that abject D2 vanilla campaign or can I jump in to the add-ons?
You can skip the vanilla campaign, which is now referred to as The Red War.

Apparently when you start a new character you actually play a revision of the first mission from the original Destiny.

Last edited:

Holammer

You can skip the vanilla campaign, which is now referred to as The Red War.

Apparently when you start a new character you actually play a revision of the first mission from the original Destiny.

You can play it in theory, but servers are getting hammered atm and I got disconnected three times, started playing on my existing character imported from battlenet and no luck there either. Constant disconnects.

B9C2B1164181CC02C4835CC3F1BD160E64404553

Walledhouse

Constant disconnects.
I’m in the same boat. I’m interested in seeing what the star map looks like for a fresh character. They alluded to some system that unlocks planets sequentially; some effort to corral new players through Earth before Titan, I’d assume.

Seems like that goes against their philosophy they touted for opening everything up; and removing campaign requirements. I’d assume the first missions of each campaign are available regardless though.

By the way, first missions for Forsaken and Shadowkeep are free.

I’m going to grow fat with bounties and quests once I get in. All those Y2 exotic quest steps previously denied to me; but now purchased. Oh and like a hundred Gunsmith Mod items to cash in. And free Exotics off the boat from my pre-order.

Top Bottom