• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humans by nature resist change and try to shoot down anything they don't know much about and therefore feel uncomfortable with. They become defensive and turn to mockery to not feel inferior when they see their beloved tradition slowly taken away from them. They feel their very existence is being threatened and something must be done to stop it. Sometimes this is called ignorance.

Only a handful welcome change and are willing to see what it might bring.

When it comes to change management, you may be right, but the console business doesn't work that way. You can have massive success with a revolutionary (hence, changed) design of your product, IF the market deems it cool. If the market doesn't, you're screwed. It's as easy as it sounds. No need for debth psychology here.

Thing is, if this picture is fake or not, the very idea of it's design (especially the touch buttons) clearly failed here on NeoGAF. Maybe it will be big outside, but I don't think so. NeoGAF ist still a good indicator of how the market might react to the new product.

E-phonk

Banned
Thing is, if this picture is fake or not, the very idea of it's design (especially the touch buttons) clearly failed here on NeoGAF. Maybe it will be big outside, but I don't think so. NeoGAF ist still a good indicator of how the market might react to the new product.

It is not. Remember the first wiimote, the Wii name and nintendo DS threads? They read about the same as this one.

But...is this even real?

It might be, that's enough to make discussing it and its implications worthwhile. Sure, it looks kind of fake and ridiculous, but anyone who is claiming it's impossible for this to be a genuine leak are no better than the people certain it's real and losing their shit over it.

No. I just find it incredibly coincidental that there's negitivity towards Nintendo in every single Nintendo-based thread on GAF. Yes, even a Satoru Iwata tribute thread...

Welcome to the reality of just how bad Nintendo's brand, reputation and marketshare has become.

The possibility of a new console is bringing in large amounts of attention to Nintendo threads beyond the usual echo chamber of die hard fans that have stuck with them through thick and thin. Combine that with the fact this controller, if it is real, IF it is, is doubling down on all the things that turned people off the Gamepad while ditching physical buttons and the Dpad, and are you really surprised the general consensus is overwhelming negativity?

This hostility from the majority of their potential customers is both their own fault and the mountain they have to climb for the NX to be a success. A controller like this would be like if the only equipment they took to scale said mountain was an anvil.

Well if experience is anything to go by, hundreds of youtube style gaf posts just saying it's fake usually results in it being real in the end.
Looks like someone built a prototype of the patent then just pasted a glossy decal on top to replicate the screen.

possible, and easier than it used to be.

Eolz

Yeah, just look at the Vita.

Terrell

It might be, that's enough to make discussing it and its implications worthwhile. Sure, it looks kind of fake and ridiculous, but anyone who is claiming it's impossible for this to be a genuine leak are no better than the people certain it's real and losing their shit over it.

Welcome to the reality of just how bad Nintendo's brand, reputation and marketshare has become.

The possibility of a new console is bringing in large amounts of attention to Nintendo threads beyond the usual echo chamber of die hard fans that have stuck with them through thick and thin. Combine that with the fact this controller, if it is real, IF it is, is doubling down on all the things that turned people off the Gamepad while ditching physical buttons and the Dpad, and are you really surprised the general consensus is overwhelming negativity?

This hostility from the majority of their potential customers is both their own fault and the mountain they have to climb for the NX to be a success. A controller like this would be like if the only equipment they took to scale said mountain was an anvil.

It's a direct replication of the form factor in a PATENT DOCUMENT. Point me to one time that's happened in the history of video game patents.

And second, considering how often the phrase "echo chamber" is used in Nintendo threads dating back several years, I would dispute your statement that negativity in Nintendo threads is due to increased scrutiny. If there was a Nintendo thread bingo card, it'd be on it.

RagnarokX

I like the screen idea, but I don't think Nintendo would get rid of physical buttons. This thing looks way too close to the patent illustration. I'm going with fake.

Rembrandt

Banned
If it's not fake, the final product won't look that ugly. This looks exactly like a prototype to be used with/as the devkit.

yeah, either way, we won't be holding this thing. if this is gonna be the design, i'm curious to see how they use it. the last thing I would say about Nintendo is that they aren't innovative.

Galava

If it's real is just a DevKit and the final product will surely not be that unconfortable to hold. I believe Nintendo can build a nice product if this one really is NX.

JayBabay

Has to be fake. Customizable button placement, but has to be touch? No way, I've waited too long for this to turn out into another experiment.

Even IF this is a controller Nintendo will use for NX, it's certainly an early prototype. It has to be.

the giant plug on the back would usually indicate it's for a devkit. If real then this would be the handheld (even the patent was primarily for a handheld despite how it was reported)

RooMHM

Has any nintendo or other manufacturer's final product ressembled what we ve seen in patents in more than its core concept ? Has a design been really used, even in prototypes ?

When it comes to change management, you may be right, but the console business doesn't work that way. You can have massive success with a revolutionary (hence, changed) design of your product, IF the market deems it cool. If the market doesn't, you're screwed. It's as easy as it sounds. No need for debth psychology here.

i don't know :) I be been reading the Wii-mote reveal. This thread is up there with that one.

But i do think in general there is resistance to change in our community, any thing 'new' normally gets shat upon.

ramparter

Banned
In all seriousness, my only concern is the grip. It's the most important factor. I don't care that much for aesthetics but it has to be comfortable.

ekim

I just woke up to this. Anything on the last 40 pages that confirm or deny this rumor? And just pretending it is real, what's the deal with this? As an mobile only device I could imagine this could work in some way. (On screen buttons, lol) but as an controller for a console its uncomfortable and the second screen on the controller would be rather useless. I call fake.

i don't know :) I be been reading the Wii-mote reveal. This thread is up there with that one.

But i do think in general there is resistance to change in our community, any thing 'new' normally gets shat upon.

The Wii wasn't a success because it appealed to game enthusiasts though. It got q new audience, one for whom it wasn't about change from the norm, but a brand new exciting entertainment device.

When you look at it purely through the lens of long term success, the Wii was an abject failure that lost Nintendo most if its traditional market entirely, destroyed third party relationships, and couldn't even hold onto the new casual audience for an entire generation once the iPhone did every single thing it did but better and more besides. The Wii is as much to blame for the WiiU's failure as every other stupid thing Nintendo did.

Galava

I just woke up to this. Anything on the last 40 pages that confirm or deny this rumor? And just pretending it is real, what's the deal with this? As an mobile only device I could imagine this could work in some way. (On screen buttons, lol) but as an controller for a console its uncomfortable and the second screen on the controller would be rather useless. I call fake.

Nothing yet, and we won't know until it is revealed officially of we get more leaks.

Squalor

And one that does something different. The market has pretty clearly spoken on what kind of console and controller it wants, and it's not a reinvention of the wheel.
That's the problem.

One shouldn't seek to reinvent the wheel. The "wheel" is perfect as "the wheel."

To succeed with something new, one should seek to supersede "the wheel" by making something that doesn't need the wheel at all and functions even better.

This controller is not that.

Yeah looking over it closer it might be a decal, the "screen" seems to sit above the controller rather than in line with it or below it. Also the sticks/nubs dont look moveable. The base of the nub looks completely attached to its outer ring which shouldnt allow it to move.

This is one of those times where a leak looks fake and doesn't seem possible but then you remember it's Nintendo and anything is possible. Wouldn't bet against it at least.

Can I just say one thing!

What if this was real? None of you have touched or seen anything running on it!

You have no idea what it can do? You have no idea what it feels like in your hand!

The response from user to game!

Anything about Nx at all . yet you all judge!

I am with you in the fact that I think it looks fake but what if this is the design from the patent and its correct?

Can you imagine the full screen with an amazing resolution?

I would just say expect the unexpected with Nintendo and don't judge until you have it in your hand!

You have 2 consoles to choose from if you want a "normal" controller

Which one of those can I play Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Starfox, Metroid, etc.. on?

You have no idea what it can do? You have no idea what it feels like in your hand!

Really?

Look at how you would hold it. Assuming it has shoulder buttons you would be holding it by the tips of two fingers at most and the pressure of your thumbs moving the stick up and down would make it rock around. At the very least this thing needs handles to make it practical.

ksamedi

Its kind of hard to discuss something in depth when nobody is sure this is fake or not. At least I have not seen a definitive proof of it being fake.

Anyway, just for discussion, given it does look a lot like the patents, this is what the leaker also has to say:

"Haptic buttons on screen, joystick force feedback, 2 buttons in top analog "roll" like a computer mouse... she's pretty cool and new"

The analogs look weird but could be because of the haptic nature. Touch screen buttons are horrible but with haptic tech it could work pretty well. The controller looks weird enough that it could be something from Nintendo. Kinda alien but appealing if haptic tech are well implemented.

Im secretly hoping this is what they go with but it could use some handles to make it more confortable.

takriel

The response from user to game!

Anything about Nx at all . yet you all judge!

I am with you in the fact that I think it looks fake but what if this is the design from the patent and its correct?

Can you imagine the full screen with an amazing resolution?

I would just say expect the unexpected with Nintendo and don't judge until you have it in your hand!
Ok!

Will do!

But what if it's fake?!

The market that wants that already has a ps4/xb1

Yes, because sales of those consoles has absolutely stopped dead, and that's it for this generation!

We've not even reached half the lifetime sales of those consoles yet (well, the XO possibly has), there's plenty of opportunity for Nintendo to put out a proper console and ourself the WiiU, at the very least.

z0m3le

Banned
No one could hoax this physically, you'd need that screen which means someone would have had to pay sharp to produce, then they would have to make that very Nintendo like casing... If the picture is real (and it seems to be) I don't see how it could be fake.

Good news is, there is still time to add handles, if there is some sort of feedback to the touch screen buttons, it might not be bad but it does look dumb currently and I wish they had went with a more traditional design. We also don't have a complete picture of the device yet, in terms of how Nintendo is going to pitch it to us, I'm not optimistic about liking this controller though, hopefully they bring compatibility with previous controllers. At this point Nintendo's problem is ultimately a software one anyways IMO.

eso76

mattel_intellivision_controller.jpg

So, this basically.
Maybe it doubles as handheld ?

Squalor

…
That was a lot more than one thing.

Anyway, from the name posts I've read, people are saying "That looks terrible."

And that thing is about as close to objectively looking terrible as something could possibly be. And it doesn't look comfortable and ergonomic. We all have hands. We've all played games. We have pretty good ideas about what is comfortable and what's not when it comes to controllers.

Also, a lot of the skepticism and pessimism is present because Nintendo of late (as in of quite a few years) hasn't done too much to inspire confidence in a lot of gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom