• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesther

In all seriousness, my only concern is the grip. It's the most important factor. I don't care that much for aesthetics but it has to be comfortable.

With a proper grip, the covering of display real estate would become an almost null factor with only the thumbs being in the way.

The only other question is how satisfying these touch/haptic buttons would be compared to regular ones.

I get the feeling the "physical buttons" are movable. They look like they just stick to the screen allowing people who hate touch controls to still have a physical presence on the thing. And to also customise the buttons how they feel comfortable.

Interesting if so.

AniHawk

I just woke up to this. Anything on the last 40 pages that confirm or deny this rumor? And just pretending it is real, what's the deal with this? As an mobile only device I could imagine this could work in some way. (On screen buttons, lol) but as an controller for a console its uncomfortable and the second screen on the controller would be rather useless. I call fake.

if it is real, i think it would be an early demo version as a sort of proof of concept or something to get to devs to work while nintendo finished the design.

in 2011 for instance, this is what a wii u gamepad might have looked like:

i2zk7y5.jpg

Galava

If what the leaker said about the cover being like a "savonette" is real, I see Nintendo selling different covers ala new3DS.

The_Lump

Banned
Unfortunately, in trying to copy the patent image exactly (which is dumb in the first place), they didn't realise it had regular hand grips and wasn't just an oval which would be impossible to hold...

So fake. But carry on Gaffing GAF. Never change.

BahamutPT

I'm still counting on Nintendo to not release something that forces you to cover 10-15% of the screen with your hands while playing.

So, nothing like this "leak" or the patent.

Galava

I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would design something so ugly and non innovative.

Is that sarcarsm? If this is real it IS innovative. Freeform screen with haptic buttons and scrollable triggers. It'd be the first time someone does something like this.

It's weird enough to be something Nintendo would do.

Certainly they need to come up with an out-there idea because releasing a PS4-like machine (more powerful or not) ain't going to do anything for them but third place still.

The_Lump

Banned
I'm still counting on Nintendo to not release something that forces you to cover 10-15% of the screen with your hands while playing.

So, nothing like this "leak" or the patent.

There would still be a nice 16:9 rectangle in the middle. The rest is extra and the only bits covered would be where your thumbs go.

It's irrelevant though, as this is clearly an homemade mock up.

Galava

Unfortunately, in trying to copy the patent image exactly (which is dumb in the first place), they didn't realise it had regular hand grips and wasn't just an oval which would be impossible to hold...

When you look at first iterations of a devkit/prototype they look a lot like their patents.

WiiU gamepad patent:

WiiU gamepad prototype/devkit:

SpokkX

This seems legit imo

I even made a very similar mock up before wiiu was revealed. Though i thought it would be a wiimote-like controller with a touchscreen on it for dynamic button placement

I expected at least 2 facebuttons also...

Could it use some kind of haptic feedback to emulate buttons??

Galava

This seems legit imo

I even made a very similar mock up before wiiu was revealed. Though i thought it would be a wiimote-like controller with a touchscreen on it for dynamic button placement

I expected at least 2 facebuttons also...

Could it use some kind of haptic feedback to emulate buttons??

Similar to the force touch trackpads of apple. It makes you feel a "click"

ramparter

Banned

As it been stated dozens of times already, we are discussing the possibility of being an actual prototype, not the NX controller. But carry on posting without reading.

The circular screen would be crazy to manufacture, right ?
You can expect the handheld to have a non rectangular screen, that's been the longest rumour. It's a Sharp freeform IGZO display. The manufacturing might involve punching out the shape from a larger block or something, idk.

Since it looks exactly like the patent and is apparently photoshopped, i´m not buying this at all.

Also literally no buttons. Calling fake on this.

Eww Eww Eww. I said it before, I'll say it again. NO to covering the screen with any portion of my hands. It's a huge part of why I hate mobile gaming. The aspect ratio on that would be terrible, it looks ergonomically uncomfortable and much of the screen would be obscured. I really hope this is fake.

Clefargle

Could be real, but the leaker chose to
Include flavor text with info that also sounds like it's from the other patents. This is why I'm guessing it's fake. Too much effort was spent on roping all the different patents into one

Killyoh

I didn't read the whole thread and I suppose it's fake but in any case, is it possible, with current tech, to get physical stick on top of a touchscreen?

The Wii-more was terrible, too.

I really liked it.

I know waggle wasn't everyone cup of tea, but even taking that out of the equation, the wii mote was comfortable and easy to use. They sat naturally in your hands and allowed you to do pretty much anything a normal controller could. The pointer was probably it's best unsung feature, and the forward pointing controller and separate analogue stick made sense in 3d spaces.

The two part controller was comfortable (your arms could rest as you wanted to in the couch position). It was viable for left handed people, and the simple things such as flipping the controller on it's side for 2d platforms or 'retro' titles was a nice touch.

Waggle 1.00 was kind of basic but that was mostly rectified with the add-on.

The smaller buttons could have been a lot better, they were quite stiff and hard on the hand to press, but nothing a refinement in the controller could solve.

Think it gets unfairly maligned because of it's association with 'waggle' or people opinions on the whole wii thing.

If it's real, I'm very interested to see how it works and what they do with it. And I can't help but roll my eyes at all the negativity, and the word gimmick basically means "thing that is different than what I'm used to" now. Analog sticks and rumble were "gimmicks", too...

If Nintendo were like Sony and MS, we'd now have the 5th version of the N64 controller. The DS has been largely unchanged for 20 years. It works well, that's great but it's also fucking boring. What's so bad about one of the console manufacturers not just going the safe and tried (and boring) route and doing something different? I'm glad there's a company always trying to find new ways to control video games. Sometimes it works and takes off like motion and touch controls with the Wii and DS, and sometimes it doesn't like the gamepad. Either way, I'm always interested in new control methods and can't wait to see what the NX brings to the table.

daakusedo

Fake/mockup people are allergic to ergonomy. Those handles, what's the point...
Though looking on the banned site, the patent image in the article could be seen as not having handles with the hands covering it.
That would be lol if this was the reason for not having them.

Also destructoid doesn't seem bothered at all to report dualpixels content, they don't even have "sources" to corroborate this time, that's not serious.

TheJoRu

I'm a diehard Nintendo fan, but come on, man, having a weird controller has been their thing since at least the N64 days

N64 - Designed for people with 3 hands (?), only 1 analog stick, looks sort of like a spaceship

GCN - Secretly the best controller ever made, but once revealed people mocked that giant green A button relentlessly. It generally looked bizarrely laid out, like some sort of toy, they were criticized heavily for having a fake 2nd analog stick.

Wiimote - There's a weird amount of "ends justify the means" with the Wii generally. It's true the Wii was wildly successful, and its true the controller helped that happen. It's also true that its conventional design kill off 3rd party interest and was generally offputting to many gamers. It cemented a certain reputation that they've been unable to shake ever since.

WiiU - yeah

This is all without even touching some of the insane moves in the handheld area. They love being some weird and gimmicky. It's ok to poke fun at them. You can still love 'em all the same

The post listed "bad design", "gimmicky concept" and "laughable to most people".

N64: Bad design (arguably); gimmicky concept (no, since different isn't by definition gimmicky, and there was no standard to speak of); laughable to most people (not to my experience, even if it's not always looked upon favourably).

GC: Bad design (lol, no); gimmicky concept (no. Having your most used button be big is not a gimmick); laughable to most people (was not aware of the criticisms you posted, but the GC-controller has been very highly regarded for a long time).

Wii: Bad design (no. That some people don't like motion controls doesn't make the motion controller bad, it just means you don't like motion controls); gimmicky concept (yes); laughable to most people (no, apart from kneejerk reactions at the reveal).

Wii U: Bad design (arguably, I think it's ugly and way too big); gimmicky concept (in its inception, yes. Not so much anymore. It's way more traditional than people give it credit for); laughable to most people (probably, yes).

The misuse of the word "gimmick" is becoming quite annoying. It's always used as a way to discredit any sort of difference from some perceived standard that doesn't really exist. Most people these days when they think of a traditional controller probably think something like a Xbox 360-controller, seeing as the Pro Controller is hailed as this glorious traditional controller. Back when N64 and Gamecube were released there was no such controller, every controller that came out looked different from one another (apart from Sony's), so it was pretty damn hard to make something actually gimmicky. How many controllers with two analog sticks were there when the N64 came out? One? Or were there actually none, seeing as the Dualshock wasn't even out?

BahamutPT

There would still be a nice 16:9 rectangle in the middle. The rest is extra and the only bits covered would be where your thumbs go.

It's irrelevant though, as this is clearly an homemade mock up.

But that would still be a waste of money. Free-form screens must be more expensive than the traditional counterpart. Despite the mistakes they may have made with hardware recently, Nintendo still cares about the experience and their customers.
I don't think including a more expensive screen without a real benefit for the player is something they'd do. If the focus is the center area, why have the rest? Just being innovative for the sake of being innovative isn't their style - usually Nintendo has some added value. I don't see a possible added value here.

Galava

Fake/mockup people are allergic to ergonomy. Those handles, what's the point...
Though looking on the banned site, the patent image in the article could be seen as not having handles with the hands covering it.
That would be lol if this was the reason for not having them.

Also destructoid doesn't seem bothered at all to report dualpixels content, they don't even have "sources" to corroborate this time, that's not serious.

Yeah, unless the leaker or source says it's fake or we see official evidence from Nintendo, we won't know if this is real or not.

And what tells you that the "leak" isn't a prototype from a year and a half ago?

Explain how an internal prototype from "a year and a half ago" would be seen by anyone outside of Nintendo's R&D and upper management, let alone someone with enough access to take a photo of it, let alone someone willing to face extraordinarily severe repercussions? Especially when developers weren't anywhere near getting NX dev kits that long ago?

Furthermore, again, as has been said Nintendo doesn't file full design patents before a reveal. Additionally, the patent that that this "leak" matches is simply a filing for the application of touch screen free-form displays on game console controllers, not a general design patent. Concept application patents almost never use real designs, for (hopefully) obvious reasons. Those patents are filed before the products that implement them (if they ever even exist) are revealed, to protect any possible ideas the company comes up with. They're not going to attach actual designs to them because 1) they have literally no reason to, and 2) they'd be giving away major details of their product before it's even revealed. That's why the general design patents (like the GamePad patent image floating around in this topic) are filed after reveals, so that they are able to reveal the final product design on their own terms.

By the way, here's another completely different NX controller patent, this one for the scroll wheel triggers:

nintendo-nx-patent-scroll-wheel-640x640.png

Are there buttons on the back like Xbox Elite controller?

That might be okay?

Seriously though, why would they do another dual screened home console? Can we move on from this.

Galava

Explain how an internal prototype from "a year and a half ago" would be seen by anyone outside of Nintendo's R&D and upper management, let alone someone with enough access to take a photo of it, let alone someone willing to face extraordinarily severe repercussions? Especially when developers weren't anywhere near getting NX dev kits that long ago?

Furthermore, again, as has been said Nintendo doesn't file full design patents before a reveal. Additionally, the patent that that this "leak" matches is simply a filing for the application of touch screen free-form displays on game console controllers, not a general design patent. Concept application patents almost never use real designs, for (hopefully) obvious reasons. Those patents are filed before the products that implement them (if they ever even exist) are revealed, to protect any possible ideas the company comes up with. They're not going to attach actual designs to them because 1) they have literally no reason to, and 2) they'd be giving away major details of their product before it's even revealed. That's why the general design patents (like the GamePad patent image floating around in this topic) are filed after reveals, so that they are able to reveal the final product design on their own terms.

By the way, here's another completely different NX controller patent, this one for the scroll wheel triggers:

nintendo-nx-patent-scroll-wheel-640x640.png

I'm just trying to think about all the posibilities :D.

That patent you posted looks better IMO, we don't need weird free-form screens...

It looks like a controller with a decal sticker slapped onto it.
But if true I'm curious if the controller screen shows more or less than what you see on tv.
My tv is not oval shaped...

Did anyone notice the yellow numbers at the top of the "screen" it looks like it was a photo with some sort of time stamp that was very carefully cut and pasted there but they missed those while trying to get the artificial light to make it look like a real screen, I'm saying it's fake a very thought out fake but a fake nonetheless.....

It looks like a controller with a decal sticker slapped onto it.
But if true I'm curious if the controller screen shows more or less than what you see on tv.
My tv is not oval shaped...
I wholeheartedly agree with you.

BTW

If this is real! Maybe prototype, which I think it is! Remember GDC and leaks after it!

More to come I think now.

then someone will be getting fried, sued, and fired!

The_Lump

Banned
As it been stated dozens of times already, we are discussing the possibility of being an actual prototype, not the NX controller. But carry on posting without reading.

You're not having the only discussion here, for a start.

And that makes no difference to what I'm saying: it's clearly just a copy of a non-limiting patent drawing. Whether it's pretending to be a prototype or not, imo it ain't real.

Also, if it were a prototype, there is no way it would look this clean. You saw the WiiU prototype gamepads right?

I didn't read the whole thread and I suppose it's fake but in any case, is it possible, with current tech, to get physical stick on top of a touchscreen?
I'd guess it could be possible with this Freeform Display tech from Sharp (was it Sharp?)

--

Hmm, i'm going with fake on this one. I don't see Nintendo making a display controller with virtually no bezels, if this would result in a bad usability.

Dmax3901

Honest question: Do you guys think a normal controller and powerful console are enough to lead Nintendo to success with the NX? Why would someone buy it over a PS4/Gaming PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom