• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rehynn

Don't have time to read through the thread, but has anyone mentioned how weird the sticks on this thing are? They seem to form a single piece with the rim and I don't see how they could be moved at all, unless they are non-clickable slide pads like the ones on the 3DS and the first version of the Wii U GamePad, in which case there's no point in having them protrude so much from the controller.

I don't appreciate people accusing others of being a liar, especially without solid proof. He's a valid member of this community and has contributed a lot, imagine how it feels for him to read posts calling him a liar. This isn't how we do things on NeoGAF.

NDA restrictions are also very strict so we can't expect Rosti or anyone for that matter to confirm and deny anything like this, we shouldn't get angry at him for posting.

If he can't post without posting cryptic messages that ask as many questions as they answer, then you have to ask yourselves what the motivation of such posts is.

Fawk Nin

Don't have time to read through the thread, but has anyone mentioned how weird the sticks on this thing are? They seem to form a single piece with the rim and I don't see how they could be moved at all, unless they are non-clickable slide pads like the ones on the 3DS and the first version of the Wii U GamePad, in which case there's no point in having them protrude so much from the controller.

Some are speculating they could work like the steam controller track pads

BlizzKrut

Banned
It looks pretty real to me, I also find it pretty funny how people are trying to say and spot 'rough edges' or signs of Photoshop in it because they WANT it to be fake.

My guess is that this is a early model and the finished product (which I believe that it would be the handheld in this case) won't look exactly like this but will share some similarities.

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't understand the weird aspect ratio thing going on. It looks like it's laid down flat, but the right thumbstick hole looks bent or skewed. It is just a weird illusion, can't quite figure out what angle is making it look like that.

If real isn't that basically game over for this thing having third party support?

Probably yeah. But there's a lot of things to consider at this point in time and we know so little, so I guess it's better to reserve judgement on that until we get an official unveil and see what their plans are.

It is supposedly leaked from a developer and Unreal Engine 4 runs on it.

So no?

And EA and Nintendo had an 'Unprecedented Relationship' for WiiU before it launched. Just because devkits are out in the wild and it can run modern engines doesn't mean it's going to be easy to port to, or that Nintendo are making sure it's as easy as possible for third parties to get their games on the system.

I mean the fact it's got no actual buttons, requires another pointless second screen to be utilised and the Dev is happy to risk getting sued by leaking pics doesn't exactly paint a rosey picture for any potential wider industry support here.

Oersted

And EA and Nintendo had an 'Unprecedented Relationship' for WiiU before it launched. Just because devkits are out in the wild and it can run modern engines doesn't mean it's going to be easy to port to, or that Nintendo are making sure it's as easy as possible for third parties to get their games on the system.

I mean the fact it's got no actual buttons, requires another pointless second screen to be utilised and the Dev is happy to risk getting sued by leaking pics doesn't exactly paint a rosey picture for any potential wider industry support here.

I answered based on Caipirinhas "If its real".

If you want to add a bunch of other hypotheticals, go ahead.
But I'm not that good in talking out of my ass, so you are unfornately on your own.

llehuty

If real isn't that basically game over for this thing having third party support?

It could still play games with a normal 16:9 fromat, if 3rd party doesn't want to optimize the games for the full screen.

5QPezld.jpg

Of course this machine (being the console's controller or the handheld) is going to play Virtual Console games, it needs to support traditional formats.

I answered based on Caipirinhas "If its real".

If you want to add a bunch of other hypotheticals, go ahead.
But I'm not that good in talking out of my ass, so you are unfornately on your own.

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

But I'm not drawing on hypotheticals beyond 'if this is real' either, the WiiU having early third party support was both very real and amounted to nothing more than a few crap or old (or both) ports that sold like shit and quickly disappeared entirely, and being capable of running UE4 doesn't mean any games using it will even get ported.

And again, 'if it's real', then exactly like the WiiU, the second screen will hinder the efforts of third party developers, not benefit them, but with the added work and thus cost involved in creating an entirely different input method due to the lack of buttons.

In other words, just because you don't want to hear it, doesn't mean someone's 'talking out of their arse'.

Roo

Im a tad surprised the thread hasnt been shut down like most other NX threads

NX threads usually get locked because they go full speculation mode about what Nintendo should and shouldn't do to sell 100 million consoles and 600 million games in 3 days, going totally off topic of what it was supposed to be discussed in first place.

In this thread however, the talk is still about the content in the OP (the controller)

Oersted

So it hasn't been debunked yet? Uh-oh

We had this post which made most join Team Fake
Not sure if this has been posted yet but the image on the screen is from about 6 seconds into this tech demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=LMcscM_Hogc

Edit:

Double Edit: A user on the IGN forums spotted this not me
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/rumor-nintendo-nx-controller-leaked-photos.454729709/page-3

Also, Rosti said people were upset about this leak, like they were about earlier ones, which is a giveaway its fake.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Interesting - seems expensive and weird having a screen for the whole face. Boo for no buttons either.

Cant wait to not buy this

Hope people do like it though when it does come out

So ET is deconfirmed? What's even the point of life then?

Also, Rosti said people were upset about this leak, like they were about earlier ones, which is a giveaway its fake.

What? Why would a random fake leak on Reddit upset people? Surely a real leak this big is what would upset some people?

Now, I have no idea what Rosti is going on about, and I am definitely on #TeamFake. But I'm not following your logic here at all.

Aldric

What on earth makes people think it's a console controller? Other than the headlines I mean.

Yeah that's what l was wondering. The reddit guy never said anything about it being a controller, if anything he talked about a protective cover making it look even more like a bar of soap. A cover would make sense for a portable system but not really for a home system controller.

Interesting - seems expensive and weird having a screen for the whole face. Boo for no buttons either.

Cant wait to not buy this

Hope people do like it though when it does come out

I'm sure I'll like it when the actual NX is revealed instead of photo of a weird looking controller with an improbably lit screen that doesn't cast shadows correctly.

Yeah that's what l was wondering. The reddit guy never said anything about it being a controller, if anything he talked about a protective cover making it look even more like a bar of soap. A cover would make sense for a portable system but not really for a home system controller.

It's mainly because it's an exact replica of the diagram of Nintendo's recent freeform controller patent. Which, as I may remind people, introduces a CONCEPT patented by Nintendo, not what the actual device is.

What? Why would a random fake leak on Reddit upset people? Surely a real leak this big is what would upset some people?

Because other gaming sites will talk about it. The "leak" will gain traction, color perspectives, backlash against ideas that Nintendo MAY OR MAY NOT have for the NX through this sort of "first impression". That would make people upset, because the misconception spreads.

What's your motivation for posting this?

To ask why people defend cryptic posts that have no basis in fact and offer little other than exacerbating an already lively discussion. I don't understand why people think that is OK.

Edit: the only motivation I cAn think of is personal kudos.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
We had this post which made most join Team Fake

Lol. You have tons of posts in the earlier pages with "it looks too much as the patent" and "why did the guy said he's a dev" (not exact quotes). On repeat. But now you joined "Team Fake".

To ask why people defend cryptic posts that have no basis in fact and offer little other than exacerbating an already lively discussion. I don't understand why people think that is OK.

How do you know that the cryptic posts have no basis?

Oersted

Now, I have no idea what Rosti is going on about, and I am definitely on #TeamFake. But I'm not following your logic here at all.

People in charge wouldn't tell they are upset. They never do. They answer calls by the press and call lawyers. People in the know would be upset. Thats what happened with the survey leak. They were upset because false information spread.

Lol. You have tons of posts in the earlier pages with "it looks too much as the patent" and "why did the guy said he's a dev" (not exact quotes). On repeat. But now you joined "Team Fake".

I was the whole time team fake. Are you confusing me with someone?

The WiiU gamepad didn't come with one, but there is an official cover for it. If this were designed to heavily utilise motion controls to the extent of a wiimote, then I'd assume Nintendo would pack it in a big silicon cover like they did with the Wii.

We don't. That's the point. It adds nothing to the discussion so why bother.

There's also the fact that Nintendo has visibly done nothing about this by now. For instance, Emily Rodgers basically had to go off the grid after sharing the Paper Mario leak almost immediately after it was a thing and this controller nonsense keeps on going besides some people going "people are upset".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
We don't. That's the point. It adds nothing to the discussion so why bother.

Our conversation here adds nothing to the discussion at hand and yet we bother.

People are free to express their opinion (even in a cryptic manner) as long as it's not against the TOS. People are also free to consider some poster worthy of trust even when the posts are cryptic. You are free to complain that the said poster is just looking for fame or something.

In the end for all of us the motivation to post is because we think that our opinion deserves to be heard. It's not always the case, but it's not forbidden either.

There's also the fact that Nintendo has visibly done nothing about this by now. For instance, Emily Rodgers basically had to go off the grid after sharing the Paper Mario leak almost immediately after it was a thing and this controller nonsense keeps on going besides some people going "people are upset".

This is reassuring me too. Nintendo are incredibly quick to jump in anything that they feel is in any way 'theirs', you need only look at their appalling behavior on YouTube for evidence of that. The fact they've not batted an eyelid at this is a very strong arguement on the fake side.

Please gods let this be fake!

Our conversation here adds nothing to the discussion at hand and yet we bother.

People are free to express their opinion (even in a cryptic manner) as long as it's not against the TOS. People are also free to consider some poster worthy of trust even when the posts are cryptic. You are free to complain that the said poster is just looking for fame or something.

In the end for all of us the motivation to post is because we think that our opinion deserves to be heard. It's not always the case, but it's not forbidden either.

I see your point but I still think posting in that manner in a thread that could quite easily combust into a shit-show is adding fuel to the fire.

jonno394

The difference being, Emily Rodgers is a "somebody" who has a site, writes articles for another site etc, she's a public figure of sorts on teh internet, so when she leaks something, Nintendo know who to target. ]

This leak is via a reddit poster who no-one knows anything about (in comparison), so Nintendo can't target anyone and force them to keep quiet or, as in Emilys case, her editot/boss can't advise her to come off social media altogether

I think at the moment because everything in response to the leaks as been entirely negative. It is kind of building up a negative narrative against the NX already if that make sense?

The Wii U suffered badly because of this as well, i think there was a thread on neogaf saying that there were something like 300+ negative news articles on the Wii U before its release.

What Nintendo were finding that these press articles, they were out of sync with what people were saying when people got hands on with the WII U. And it is something that has consistently stayed with them through out the entirety of the Wii U lifespan with reactions to Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (instead of metroid, but distracting from the fact it was a great game), Super Mario World , Splatoon, and most spectacularly Metroid Prime Federation Force.

Of course after the Wii U, there is bound to be some, and rightly so, some negative scepticism about the NX, but i do also agree that there is a degree of Echo Chamber mentality in our community.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

But I'm not drawing on hypotheticals beyond 'if this is real' either, the WiiU having early third party support was both very real and amounted to nothing more than a few crap or old (or both) ports that sold like shit and quickly disappeared entirely, and being capable of running UE4 doesn't mean any games using it will even get ported.

And again, 'if it's real', then exactly like the WiiU, the second screen will hinder the efforts of third party developers, not benefit them, but with the added work and thus cost involved in creating an entirely different input method due to the lack of buttons.

In other words, just because you don't want to hear it, doesn't mean someone's 'talking out of their arse'.

Nintendo third party support sucks. But I dont see why this leak would point to a worst situation in any meaningful way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Coming back to the topic:

Real or fake, this isn't a good thing for Nintendo. I can see why they'd be pissed. There's a wrench in your messaging, monkey.

When you announce a new hardware more than 1 year before the official reveal the chances for something to derail your message are very big and increasing with every day that passes by.

So yes, fake or real, the believable enough rumours will control the perception of the product until Nintendo decides to step in to control the message. The question is when it is to late to control it or how much it costs if it's late?

That would be a pretty good way for Nintendo to confirm it as true (or at least partially true).

ozfunghi

Being a professional graphic designer, with some 3D and photoshop skills, i believe this is fake.

the shadow in the upper left corner of the controller looks off. The UE4 image fits too perfectly. No lens distortion on what is clearly not a professional picture, no bending or warping, nearly as sharp as the source picture...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I think it would look far better if the sticks were black.

But yeah, if it is fake, negativity could harm the NX. I think its time for Nintendo to speak up, especially as VR, XBOX 1.5 and PS4.5 are on the horizon.

Nintendo could use a toaster as a controller and they'd still manage to make fun games. So folks who like Nintendo doing what it does will continue to be happy.

But folks who were hoping for a swerve toward the mainstream will be very, very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom