• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterc

Prediction: The NX will work with the Wii U, as in using it as a "home station" to stream to the TV. I can't imagine the NX will come with any kind of docking "home station". The NX itself is going to be Nintendo's most expensive handheld to manufacture. Innards will be Wii U+ spec (minor).

I think we have to forget wii/with. Nintendo want to start from fresh with something fresh.

If Nintendo wants to make 1 thing clear is that they want to step away from the Wii stuff.

If the free form display is the NX's main twist, it really isn't much different than the other two. It's certainly an interesting twist, but it won't make that many non-Nintendo fans go rush out and buy it. They still need to get the same third part games that are on the ''me too' consoles. Nintendo would still be directly competing with them.
Nintendo doesn't want ports. They can't compete in that area. It's a zero sum game. Even if the NX had a Radeon Pro Duo, the Nintendo brand/ecosystem is not a great place for most third-party titles that already exist on Steam/PlayStation/Xbox.

Nintendo's going after the gamer that wants a different experience than what they're already getting on those three platforms.

optimiss

It looks like photoshopped upside down plates for the analog sticks. Like this:

CTUk7CP.jpg

I think we have to forget wii/with. Nintendo want to start from fresh with something fresh.

If Nintendo wants to make 1 thing clear is that they want to step away from the Wii stuff.
Nintendo's invested a lot of money in the Wii U technology stack. It sold way below their expectations. I can see them trying to recuperate their losses.

1. Requiring a Wii U to stream to the TV.
2. Repackaging Wii U components in a smaller form factor (sans disc drive) to act as the "home station".

Nintendo's not going to wipe the slate clean entirely. There's a lot of potential value left in the Wii U hardware.

bachikarn

Nintendo doesn't want ports. They can't compete in that area. It's a zero sum game. Even if the NX had a Radeon Pro Duo, the Nintendo brand/ecosystem is not a great place for most third-party titles that already exist on Steam/PlayStation/Xbox.

Nintendo's going after the gamer that wants a different experience than what they're already getting on those three platforms.

1) you are wrong. Nintendo wants as many third party games as possible as they make lots of money on royalties

2) exactly what type of new experience is the free form display giving them? It is a cooler (and potentially more intuitive ) version of the gamepad. You are still going to be playing the exact same games.

. The NX itself is going to be Nintendo's most expensive handheld to manufacture. Innards will be Wii U+ spec (minor).

This is the least likely to happen... Nintendo isn't in the premium handheld market. It was PSP's biggest issue when it first launched, it was the 3DS biggest issue when it launched, and it played a huge role in making the Vita a complete non-starter.

Premium priced hand helds do NOT work, have never worked. It's why the Gameboy outsold the Game Gear despite the Game Gear being the better hardware by FAR in every way.

philion

Neo Member
A part of me wants it to be fake as well, I just want to scream to Nintendo to use a normal controller with normal buttons, but that isn't their status quo.
And you know what? Thats what makes them money.

It is brave of them and typically all the other console developers follow eventually when they brush all the bad ideas off it. But what does that make Nintendo?

nynt9

This is the worst controller ever seen.

On the other hand, I hope Sony next time is bringing a new controller. It's still the same one from ps1. It's like they are scared to bring some evolution to the gaming industry and choosed always for the safe option.

The same PS1 controller with a different shape, a touch screen and motion controls and visual tracking?

This is the least likely to happen... Nintendo isn't in the premium handheld market. It was PSP's biggest issue when it first launched, it was the 3DS biggest issue when it launched, and it played a huge role in making the Vita a complete non-starter.

Premium priced hand helds do NOT work, have never worked. It's why the Gameboy outsold the Game Gear despite the Game Gear being the better hardware by FAR in every way.
Agreed, but if the handheld we're seeing here as the leaked NX is accurate, complete with free form display, haptic feedback, etc. that runs the next Zelda game, then I can't imagine this is a cheap device.

maxcriden

If real isn't that basically game over for this thing having third party support?

Not at all. Depends how it sells. Wii got tons of unique third party software. Also, if this is the handheld and not a controller for the console, it's more likely to be getting exclusive software anyway.

Gsnap

The only weird thing would be having Mario jump with a trigger as it has almost always been the A button that does that, but it wouldn't be a big deal

It would be weird at first, but after getting used to it it might be better because it would allow full camera control and jumping simultaneously. Something that can't be done with an analogue stick and a face button, and that has gimped 3d platformers a little since the beginning.

beril

How are you going to put it in your pocket if it has potruding analog sticks? It doesn't seem very portable friendly to me.

The sticks in the photo aren't really very protruding; they look a lot more pocket friendly than Vita for example. The design of the sticks was the thing that had me thinking it could be real for while

Hmm. This is actually a good point. I'd want want physical buttons for the main actions in a game, but all the secondary stuff i don't think I'd care if they were touch screen. And like you pointed out, normally you only need a couple of buttons for that.

The only weird thing would be having Mario jump with a trigger as it has almost always been the A button that does that, but it wouldn't be a big deal

If this thing is legit, it looks like they've designed the analog nubs to function more like true buttons. There is no ball underneath the nub to roll, so the mechanism would be stationary.

maxcriden

Well if they ship every NX with this and a Wii U pro controller I'm OK with this... If not I don't feel very good about it...

Well, if it's any reassurance, there's no reason to think this is a controller for the console rather than a handheld.

Although it seems like everyone is back on team fake, I imagine it's possible that we'll see this new tech being used in one way or another and I hope people keep an open mind about it.
People would like to point towards Wii U saying that gimmicky controllers cause failures, but their most successful platforms ever were successful thanks to the new gameplay experiences they offered.
The gamepad was an expensive yet safe venture which essentially brought the DS screen to the console which resulted in an expensive machine that wasn't outputting visuals noticeably better than the old systems while being over $300 the entirety of its life.
The shared library teased by Iwata would also lessen the need to sell the console at X1/PS4 levels and lessen the need for AAA western 3rd party support as long as they can keep partnerships and 1st party studios pumping out exclusive software.
Without 3rd party support they'll find themselves as a secondary/non traditional platform but the 3DS sales show that if the price is right then that could work. The Wii U didn't work since it was a secondary system at the price of a traditional system without Nintendo's full output, the shared library could provide just that and it's seemingly powerful enough to run major Japanese titles like DQXI.
I guess we'll see how things turn out. I'm open to "new concepts" as all of Nintendo's new ideas have provided entertainment or at least not being detrimental. Hopefully we don't need to wait till e3.

maxcriden

Prediction: The NX will work with the Wii U, as in using it as a "home station" to stream to the TV. I can't imagine the NX will come with any kind of docking "home station". The NX itself is going to be Nintendo's most expensive handheld to manufacture. Innards will be Wii U+ spec (minor).

A hybrid has long since been debunked by Nintendo. So that would be fairly unlikely, for better or for worse.

bachikarn

I think people are overestimating the importance of face buttons...when you also have scroll wheels. I do think they'll need a couple of triggers as main action buttons as well as the wheels...but other than that,one single clickable scroll wheel could cover a multitude of secondary buttons.

At a minimum each scroll wheel could have 3 separate actions transposed to it - scroll left =1, scroll right=2 and click=3....alternatively you could have half a dozen+ actions on one scroll button and you just scroll through and click depending on what you want.

Shoot and jump are really the only primary buttons used in most games....everything else is largely secondary and easily transposed to a wheel or the touch screen. It's not like touchscreen buttons would have to be in constant use if they were used for secondary things like open/close a door, throw a grenade or bring up a map.

There needs to be a DPad though.

Trago

I imagine that they'll have a traditional controller for the console that we'll have to buy separately, like the Wii U Pro controller.

BahamutPT

None of the prototypes Sharp has shown to the public has the screen with holes within the screen area. It's always curves/semi-circles around the edges

They never showed it because they wanted to focus on driving applications and so it would be simpler to place physical buttons along the edges, without the risk of touching the screen while fiddling with them.
However, they announced they could be virtually any shape - I'd guess a sphere (or something without edges) is probably out of the question.

Wildean

2) exactly what type of new experience is the free form display giving them? It is a cooler (and potentially more intuitive ) version of the gamepad. You are still going to be playing the exact same games.

Context-sensitive soft buttons, as seen in the patent. That would be a pretty innovative thing. I don't think we've yet had a device where physical and touchscreen controls have been in such close proximity i.e. where you can reach the touch screen by moving just your thumb and not your whole hand.

Kyzer

Banned
It's probably the Nx handheld and it is the beginning of what we will see across all Nintendo systems. Compatibility with mobile. :l

TheMoon

Context-sensitive soft buttons, as seen in the patent. That would be a pretty innovative thing. I don't think we've yet had a device where physical and touchscreen controls have been in such close proximity i.e. where you can reach the touch screen by moving just your thumb and not your whole hand.

Like you already could on DS, 3DS, Wii U. Touch buttons on the side of screen that you can reach without moving your whole hand to tap a thing in the middle have been a thing forever now.

It's probably the Nx handheld and it is the beginning of what we will see across all Nintendo systems. Compatibility with mobile. :l

jblank83

Added the hands to my mock up. I think it look nice.. like something futuristic. Starting to like the idea a lot.

2AlzoTS.jpg

The oval shape is weird.

What if it were rectangular. Imagine it in ultra-wide screen format.
It would have more room for physical controls and would look really slick.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Hard to put into words just how deflating this would be if it were the actual NX controller. From the moment I saw this design I absolutely hated it, and I'm probably getting worked up over a fake. But man alive, this is not a good design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom