• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo third party support sucks. But I dont see why this leak would point to a worst situation in any meaningful way.

You seriously don't see how a controller with no physical buttons and repeating the mistake of a mandatory second screen would make things worse for third party ports?

Ok, let's try it the other way, what about this controller makes you think this will encourage the same level of third party support as the WiiU, given that the WiiU did enjoy a number of multiplats and third party titles early on before the market spoke and proved that to be a waste of time and money?

The free form display and need to program (possibly haptic) touchscreen buttons for every single port that could be potentially brought over means any game that does will require more effort and thus more money than the equivelant of porting to WiiU, with its normal rectangular screen and near standard button interface.

There is no way on earth a controller with this kind of interface is not going to be more costly to make games for than any other platform. It will absolutely raise costs and increase the time needed to get it right, and when you're talking about something that we know is already as big a risk for third parties as releasing a game on a Nintendo system, then that is going to drive away developers, because less has already done so in the recent past.

But if you can give me a logical reason for why you think this would be no more difficult for developers to build control schemes for than the gamepad, I'm all ears. Or eyes, I guess.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm with team fake. I really doubt Nintendo will go for a out there risk ever again.

I'm still going to go with my prediction that Nintendo will go traditional route with ARM architecture that's on both handheld and console which shares the same games library as their big appeal. The only gimmicky thing I expect them to do is 2nd screen that's way smaller than Wii U tablet that doesn't intrude traditional controller design size as well as scrollable shoulder buttons.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really doubt Nintendo will go for a out there risk ever again.

All the official statements about NX (as few as they are) are practically saying that NX is a "new way to play games", "a brand new concept" and so on. Expecting a traditional console is the wrong way to go.

Bert

I'm in team fake I think, but I do think a device like this could work in concert with that other patent for sharing compute power between devices.

This thing could be the handheld and work independently then they sell a supplemental device that plugs into the TV and provides more power and normal multiplayer controllers (probably the Pro pad).

I have no idea how technically possible such a system would be, but they have patented it.

Something like £150 for this and another £150-200 for the home box to bump it up to home console standard. Then you can release incremental upgrades to the box later.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You seriously don't see how a controller with no physical buttons and repeating the mistake of a mandatory second screen would make things worse for third party ports?

Ok, let's try it the other way, what about this controller makes you think this will encourage the same level of third party support as the WiiU, given that the WiiU did enjoy a number of multiplats and third party titles early on before the market spoke and proved that to be a waste of time and money?

The free form display and need to program (possibly haptic) touchscreen buttons for every single port that could be potentially brought over means any game that does will require more effort and thus more money than the equivelant of porting to WiiU, with its normal rectangular screen and near standard button interface.

There is no way on earth a controller with this kind of interface is not going to be more costly to make games for than any other platform. It will absolutely raise costs and increase the time needed to get it right, and when you're talking about something that we know is already as big a risk for third parties as releasing a game on a Nintendo system, then that is going to drive away developers, because less has already done so in the recent past.

But if you can give me a logical reason for why you think this would be no more difficult for developers to build control schemes for than the gamepad, I'm all ears. Or eyes, I guess.

Best support for a Nintendo console came on the wii for a commercial point of view so...
A normal console from Nintendo would see no support in any case. Issue is nintendo target and Nintendo policies.
This leak wouldn't point to a better or worst situation.
Situation that is horrible no matter what

E-phonk

Banned

They provide a "virtual button controller" as part of their SDK, which has a standard classic control scheme layout as default.
It's not that exotic as you make it out to be.

Taker666

I think people are overestimating the importance of face buttons...when you also have scroll wheels. I do think they'll need a couple of triggers as main action buttons as well as the wheels...but other than that,one single clickable scroll wheel could cover a multitude of secondary buttons.

At a minimum each scroll wheel could have 3 separate actions transposed to it - scroll left =1, scroll right=2 and click=3....alternatively you could have half a dozen+ actions on one scroll button and you just scroll through and click depending on what you want.

Shoot and jump are really the only primary buttons used in most games....everything else is largely secondary and easily transposed to a wheel or the touch screen. It's not like touchscreen buttons would have to be in constant use if they were used for secondary things like open/close a door, throw a grenade or bring up a map.

All the official statements about NX (as few as they are) are practically saying that NX is a "new way to play games", "a brand new concept" and so on. Expecting a traditional console is the wrong way to go.

Indeed. And saying Nintendo should challenge themselves to create a new kind of interface (and think about making a new F Zero if they create a new kind of interface)

cand

Well if they ship every NX with this and a Wii U pro controller I'm OK with this... If not I don't feel very good about it...

I think people are overestimating the importance of face buttons...when you also have scroll wheels. I do think they'll need a couple of triggers as well as the wheels...but other than that,one single clickable scroll wheel could cover a multitude of secondary buttons.
There's also the stick buttons which the patent seems to sell as the primary face buttons, with for example the right one used to jump in a platformer. Whether or not that makes sense would depend on how it feels to use these new-fangled sticks, it might mean nothing.

Insane Metal

Gold Member

Well that is pretty sad. Another Nintendo console I'll skip then. Unless they show something really compelling.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Theres already two samey consoles no need for onde more.
Two samey consoles with awesome, different games for each. Just like in previous generations and it was never a problem. I don't see why that would be a problem now. Also, if you look for something different the PS4 will offer VR experience in the future, which is optional.

If Nintendo are going to go haptic feedback/digital buttons what needs to happen at E3 Is this:

Someone flying through a pretty hard Super Mario Maker NX level with relative ease. That would ease any concerns with usability.

Two samey consoles with awesome, different games for each. Just like in previous generations and it was never a problem. I don't see why that would be a problem now. Also, if you look for something different the PS4 will offer VR experience in the future, which is optional.

Lol...awesome, different games. Yeah, the houndreds of exclusives games for each consoles are amazing. But in which universe? You can see the problem with the XBox One. The multi title are all selling w
better on the PS4 and the last few exclusive titles aren't as good anymore as they used to be. And now every last of them will get ported to the PC.
Before you run around, saying you won't buy the next Nintendo console...just wait for it to be shown at least. So your comment seems just ignorant.

Best support for a Nintendo console came on the wii for a commercial point of view so...
A normal console from Nintendo would see no support in any case. Issue is nintendo target and Nintendo policies.
This leak wouldn't point to a better or worst situation.
Situation that is horrible no matter what

The Wii sold gang busters early on and thus made the increased difficulty of ports worthwhile, however even that wasn't enough to make it worth the effort to port most multiplats to the system. By generations end, once the fad had lost its lustre and all the casuals buggered off to mobile (after a brief stop off with Kinect), that left Nintendo ports up shit creek without a paddle, and the situation only improved briefly with the introduction of the WiiU's more standard controller, until everyone realised the the WiiU was as popular as a clown going door to door informing their new neighbours it was a sex offender.

This control would combine the difficulties that contributed to keeping games off Wii with the shitty if not worse sales of the WiiU. Good luck to Nintendo getting ports with those selling points.

They provide a "virtual button controller" as part of their SDK, which has a standard classic control scheme layout as default.
It's not that exotic as you make it out to be.

That is a good point, but still doesn't eliminate the need for programming for that free form screen, nor any problems translating a control scheme from one designed for physical buttons to vitual ones might entail. I still don't see it as a simple one to one transfer as it would be between XO and PS4. Even the PS4's trackpad barely gets used and that's way easier to work into control schemes since it's just an additional input.

I think people are overestimating the importance of face buttons...when you also have scroll wheels. I do think they'll need a couple of triggers as main action buttons as well as the wheels...but other than that,one single clickable scroll wheel could cover a multitude of secondary buttons.

At a minimum each scroll wheel could have 3 separate actions transposed to it - scroll left =1, scroll right=2 and click=3....alternatively you could have half a dozen+ actions on one scroll button and you just scroll through and click depending on what you want.

Shoot and jump are really the only primary buttons used in most games....everything else is largely secondary and easily transposed to a wheel or the touch screen. It's not like touchscreen buttons would have to be in constant use if they were used for secondary things like open/close a door, throw a grenade or bring up a map.

The scroll wheel bumpers I actually love, great idea I want to see used elsewhere, but I utterly reject the idea of buttons being unnecessary. The lack of a proper Dpad alone is a huge negative for me here, but as a big fan of action games, platformers, puzzle games and adventure games, I would absolutely find most of my games ruined by a lack of physical face buttons.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Lol...awesome, different games. Yeah, the houndreds of exclusives games for each consoles are amazing. But in which universe? You can see the problem with the XBox One. The multi title are all selling better and the last few exclusive titles aren't as good anymore as they used to be. And now every last of them will get ported to the PC.
Before you run around, saying you won't buy the next Nintendo console...just wait for it to be shown at least. So your comment seems just ignorant.

There are many good exclusives for each. If you don't agree it's ok. But as I said: I'll wait for Nintendo to show something compelling. If it's something uninteresting like the Wii or the Wii U I will not buy it.

openrob

Rösti;198611791 said:
Alright, alright, I will provide you a brief elucidation. What the embodiment in the image is representative of I do not know, it may or may not be a prototype related to the project of interest, it may or may not be a final design to the consumer. What I do know is what I originally said, and that x distinguished excellencies/individuals have expressed indignation about this situation (and earlier events this year). I have full trust in my source. These leaks are unfortunate.

I have no intention to troll anyone or cause a commotion. My original post was primarily a way for me to express my thoughts about this. While it is of course nice to have something to discuss in terms of NX, I am hoping that future stories of this calibre house less harmful properties. I have faith in this clarification providing sufficient eligibility.

Translated is:

Alright, let me clarify myself a bit, I don't know what is in the picture. It may or may not be NX, and may or may not be a prototype. What I do know is that certain sources (who I trust) were pissed off about this 'leak' coming out.

I didn't mean to troll anyone. While it's nice to have NX stuff to discuss, I hope further discussions don't derail the thread and lead to namecalling/shitposting. I hope I made myself clear.

First thing I thought of was this:

Sony-PS3-Banana-Original-Controller.jpg

jblank83

When was the last time the Gamepad or even the 3DS touchscreen was mandatory? Nintendo stopped trying to force people to support their system "gimmicks" years ago (imo, the dual screens and touch screens are significant features, not gimmicks). They even gave up doing it themselves outside of minor stuff like Wind Waker or Twilight Princess's inventory screens.

I would be less concerned about the gamepad, which is just a controller with a screen on it, driving people away and more about the gamepad affecting the hardware of the system. However, given the patents, apparently that's no longer a problem due to the "distributed processing." While the controller might cost money, it also contributes to the processing power of the system.

Further, we don't know if the controller is the handheld or not. We don't know if the NX supports the Pro Controller or some equivalent. Basically, we don't know anything.

At this point it's all speculation and anyone's guess is as good as anyone's.

Peterc

First thing I thought of was this:

This is the worst controller ever seen.

On the other hand, I hope Sony next time is bringing a new controller. It's still the same one from ps1. It's like they are scared to bring some evolution to the gaming industry and choosed always for the safe option.

Kurt

If Nintendo are going to go haptic feedback/digital buttons what needs to happen at E3 Is this:

Someone flying through a pretty hard Super Mario Maker NX level with relative ease. That would ease any concerns with usability.

Haptic feedback comes in different implementations.
Feeling structure could be the solution. I mean you can add some scroll wheel as button on screen and things like that. The biggest issue with mobile is that you don't feel feedback from a button. Even when you feel the feedback at the place where you press it isn't enough. You should feel some kind of different structure to define the differents. The technology already exists a few years now (using very small motor(s)). I'll hope they go with that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So the guy creates a Reddit account just to post that and then disappears without a trace.

That doesn't sound suspicious at all.

When was the last time the Gamepad or even the 3DS touchscreen was mandatory? Nintendo stopped trying to force people to support their system "gimmicks" years ago (imo, the dual screens and touch screens are significant features, not gimmicks). They even gave up doing it themselves outside of minor stuff like Wind Waker or Twilight Princess's inventory screens.

I would be less concerned about the gamepad, which is just a controller with a screen on it, driving people away and more about the gamepad affecting the hardware of the system. However, given the patents, apparently that's no longer a problem due to the "distributed processing." While the controller might cost money, it also contributes to the processing power of the system.

Further, we don't know if the controller is the handheld or not. We don't know if the NX supports the Pro Controller or some equivalent. Basically, we don't know anything.

At this point it's all speculation and anyone's guess is as good as anyone's.

The second screen would have to be used purely because it's the only way to display the virtual buttons. And if they don't insist on using the second screen, and aren't going to use it themselves just like they barely use it on the WiiU, why make the entire controller a buttonless touchscreen?

Plus, even if they put the processing in the controller, that still raises the BOM's, regardless of the fact that it's no longer in the console itself, which would still require some additional processing and broadcasting equipment to get the same low latency display. It would still ultimately mean a weaker machine than would have been possible at the same price without it, the same mistake they made with the WiiU, and would brilliantly not have learnt from.

But yeah, maybe this isn't the main controller, maybe it'll come with a Pro Controller, and this will be optional. That still means the hardware needs to be present for it to work, raising the price, but would also mean the adoption rate on an optional controller like this that would be bloody expensive by itself would be atrocious, and mean almost no software would be made for it.

Or maybe it's the new handheld. In which case it's trying to be more like a phone but with non of the utility at the expense of its previous greatest advantage. So that would be their handheld market fucked too.

Actually all of that sounds pretty believable for Nintendo. Bugger.

This is the worst controller ever seen.

On the other hand, I hope Sony next time is bringing a new controller. It's still the same one from ps1. It's like they are scared to bring some evolution to the gaming industry and choosed always for the safe option.

Dude, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Nintendo learned that the hard way.

So the guy creates a Reddit account just to post that and then disappears without a trace.

That doesn't sound suspicious at all.

Well:
If you were creating a hoax, that's exactly what you'd do
If you were leaking something real, that's exactly what you'd do.

Sure did, by releasing a console with something completely different and becoming the 2nd best selling console of all time.

If anything, Nintendo learned the lesson that playing too safe only makes them look like the worst of three samey options instead of the best alternative option.

mapet318

Banned

I wouldn't say they did though. The Wii was a radical departure from any game controller and was a great success. I think what they've (hopefully) learned is how to balance "innovation" with the ability to understand what consumers actually want.

Indeed, the DS4 is bloody brilliant too, probably my favourite controller of all time.

There's room for improvement, sure, but there's no need to change the fundamentals that have been built upon since the PS1. Nintendo is a shining beacon of why completely starting from scratch every generation is a fucking terrible idea.

Kurt

I wouldn't say they did though. The Wii was a radical departure from any game controller and was a great success. I think what they've (hopefully) learned is how to balance "innovation" with the ability to understand what consumers actually want.

Agree, innovation is needed.
Thanks to that we have shoulder buttons and rumble etc...
Been stuck in time is not what i'm looking for.
(Nintendo should innovate more on online of course)

I'm glad that they are that company, i don't wan't to have another ps4 clone in the market.
Enjoy different setups is the way to go.

I must live in a different dimension than you because I can clearly see the design distinction between Nintendo's output vs Sony/Microsoft.

If developers still haven't gone forward with their AAA tropy features that should've gone the way of the dinosaur during the PS3 era then clearly the need a good kick up the arse.

They lucked out with the Wii, if this leak is real, that's the final nail in the coffin for the idea they knew what they were doing with that consoles success.

The Wii also proved by the end of its life that it was a terrible controller for most traditional games, and worse for the casual crowd than no controller at all, with both the Kinect and then mobile taking all those new players in turn, never to be seen again.

However, with its foundation built upon by first Sony with the Move, then Steam and Oculus Rift, we've seen the Wiimotes evolutionary dead end find new life with VR. So that's something.

And there in lies the rub, Wiimotes themselves would be shit for VR, admittedly, but the companies who don't keep throwing the baby out with the bath water have certainly used it as a stepping stone to make some really cool, better versions of it.

Very well put, I was about to write something similar.
To leafrog off your post, I actually think Nintendo may be onto something here. They own a patent that covers changable face buttons/ sticks.

If needed, they could let you replace the left analogue stick with a D-pad and the right analogue stick with physical face buttons.
FPS and TPS wouls use the dual analogue configuration, something like a third person action game wouls use the left analogue and physical face buttons on the right.

It may be just a bunch of nonsense and completely unfeasable, but I'd prefer this over how the Vita handled it.

Edit: Here is our GAF thread: Nintendo patent application shows portable system with interchangable controls

MK_768

Exactly. Nintendo took a chance to innovate and they succeeded. Sony copied them, as usual.

But also, Nintendo has made errors by trying to innovate and be different. However, you can do poorly by playing it safe as well. Look at the PS3.

Point is, Nintendo is gonna try and innovate. It shouldn't be looked as a negative but unfortunately it is because it's Nintendo. When things are too samey you get stagnation and it gets boring. I like that Nintendo likes to switch things up. MS and Sony are gonna keep being basic and copy whatever succeeds for Nintendo and that's whatever. I own a PS4 and I like it.

Hmm that does look strange, then again so did the WiiMote when they first came out.

And that was heavily criticized. It's funny cause I remember a thread here when the Wii U gamepad was liked and one of the first comments was the guy heavily favoring the pad lol.

bachikarn

Hmm. This is actually a good point. I'd want want physical buttons for the main actions in a game, but all the secondary stuff i don't think I'd care if they were touch screen. And like you pointed out, normally you only need a couple of buttons for that.

The only weird thing would be having Mario jump with a trigger as it has almost always been the A button that does that, but it wouldn't be a big deal

BuggyMike

Sure did, by releasing a console with something completely different and becoming the 2nd best selling console of all time.

If anything, Nintendo learned the lesson that playing too safe only makes them look like the worst of three samey options instead of the best alternative option.

Yah but playing it too dangerous is not smart either. What if your innovation doesn't catch on, then you've sacrificed every other important part people and developers want out of a console for your "gimmick". To me there always needs to be a balance, the Wii was a high selling console but what happens when people get tired of that fad, or it doesn't catch on, what else do they have to lean on with no 3rd party support, no other fan base but Nintendo fans to buy their games etc, the Wii U happens. Imagine if the Xbox One completely scrapped all of the important things gamers care about for the connect, they'd be fucked. Going all in on the "gimmick" is really dumb.

bachikarn

Yep, and also, those consoles are getting upgrades. There would be absolutely no market for a "me too" console from Nintendo now.

If the free form display is the NX's main twist, it really isn't much different than the other two. It's certainly an interesting twist, but it won't make that many non-Nintendo fans go rush out and buy it. They still need to get the same third part games that are on the ''me too' consoles. Nintendo would still be directly competing with them.

Prediction: The NX will work with the Wii U, as in using it as a "home station" to stream to the TV. I can't imagine the NX will come with any kind of docking "home station". The NX itself is going to be Nintendo's most expensive handheld to manufacture. Innards will be Wii U+ spec (minor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom