• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Can Halo 5 deliver on its 60fps promise?

Alpha basically refers to transparent effects/textures (if you are familiar with photoshop at all, the alpha channel controls the opacity of an image, it's the same thing with textures/effects). Rendering transparencies is bandwidth intensive and so resolving them at low resolution is a compromise done to save on bandwidth. This was a common theme with PS3 games vs 360 games for example because of that console's limited memory bandwidth compared to the 360. Anyways, when you are resolving transparencies at low resolution, and you have a scene where there is a transparent texture/effect covering most of the screen like in that image, it will look like dogshit.
Thanks for the explanation! Makes sense.

BokehKing

Banned
One day I should complete my thesis on the average post and console ownership history in negative Gaf threads. This should be cross referenced with a graph showing the (apparent) relative importance of feature, tech or personnel being discussed and divided by the difference in conversation momentum versus "positive" threads.

There's nothing wrong with DF stories as long as they caveat them and don't make assumptions about the final product. I would say the real issue is what folks with zero legitimate interest in the game then do with the information or more accurately, ammunition they glean.
While you're lurking, will halo 5 EVER have split screen at some point. Your answer determines if I buy the game (and probably others as well)

cakely

Well then why does Microsoft keep shooting themselves in the foot with their flagship title? Why must it be holiday 2015? Put it out in March when you're not going to get stomped out by every 3rd party title out there. I understand they have this 'last 3 months of the year is all that matters' attitude but C'mon, it's your flagship title, give it all the time you need.

I can promise you that the Halo 5 ship date has been set in stone.

Microsoft was willing to ship Halo: MCC (and push Assassin's Creed: Unity) for Holiday 2014 in an unfinished state for the same reasons.

Ishan

Three points

1) not final product (first party games can improve a lot in a short period)
2) I wonder what impact the ai has 3 ai companions must have a significant impact if their ai is competent
3) 343 are good technically given what they pulled off with halo 4 on 360 I'm inclined to give them the benefit on technical matters (yes I know the levels were smaller/less open etc but halo4 was graphically impressive . And they seem to be focussed on performance this time vs extra effects etc)

c0de

Right, because with the game going gold in a few months things will dramatically change

Performance? Likely. Considering the game uses an adaptive resolution based on performance, the topic is just not settled. But I guess there is already enough reason to post negativity about the game's resolution because it is dynamic.

BokehKing

Banned
I can promise you that the Halo 5 ship date has been set in stone.

Microsoft was willing to ship Halo: MCC (and push Assassin's Creed: Unity) for Holiday 2014 in an unfinished state for the same reasons.
Thats what I'm saying, I thought when I dropped $350 (well ore than that, I have purchased a x1 multiple times) I would be entitled to first class service, not 'it's broken, screw it, it's halo MCC, it's going out, people will buy it anyway'

PooBone

Given the sacrifices they've made for this target, (poor decisions, imo) they had better fucking nail it. If they don't.... Unimaginable.

c0de

How can you make a proper comparison if they aren't final? There is a lot of refinement that happens in the end of development.

Killzone Shadowfall is a good candidate for an overall comparison once Halo 5 ships. Different targets too. Mind you, Killzone:SF is a launch game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDfu1mYQXEg

Better hardware can produce better graphics at twice the frametime, especially with a game with a graphics emphasis. News at 11.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Watching the MS E3 conference on an otherwise 60FPS stream, I was convinced the campaign footage of Halo 5 was 30FPS. I really though they are going 30FPS campaign/60FPS multi.

This is gonna be like witcher 3 where the cutscenes are 1080p and everything else is 900 or lower.

I don't care if the single player is 30.

This game seems like its got some technical difficulties this close to launch..

I don't care for dynamic resolution that changes that much. It's going to be super obvious and they should just lock the resolution and frame rate..

tuna_love

Banned
Come October we will see if the compromise of no neck skin simulations will be worth it for 60fps. If not all of Seattle should be embarrassed.

1152 x 810.

ahahaha. it's like they're trying so hard not to go down as low as 1280x720.

finally we're seeing what the xbone is truly capable of.

is it going to be like witcher dynamic resolution where it is 900p most of the time and goes up to 1080p instead of the other way around?

BokehKing

Banned
This is gonna be like witcher 3 where the cutscenes are 1080p and everything else is 900 or lower.

I don't care if the single player is 30.

This game seems like its got some technical difficulties this close to launch..

I don't care for dynamic resolution that changes that much. It's going to be super obvious and they should just lock the resolution and frame rate..
Yeah I don't care if single player is 30 either and the multi is 60 (isn't uncharted doing that) but if that's the case, why cut split screen?

Because they won't be making the single player 30. They got a goal, they are going for it, God speed

Right, because with the game going gold in a few months things will dramatically change

I'm most likely mis-remembering but didn't Halo 2 Anniversary have an E3 showing where the game had bad character models for the elites and had a hard time maintaining 60fps running at 720p? The game launched with problems for sure but there was a decent amount of improvements in those couple months before release.

I wouldn't write Halo 5 off because of it's lack of technical merit until it's out. Folk aren't kidding when they say optimization happens in the very final stages of development.

El_Chino

This the same scenario last year with Advanced Warfare's E3 showing. DF thought Cod might just target 30fps at 900p for campaign the the release came around it was 60fps with 1080pr.

I'm not worried.

watership

Hey stinkles, listen... Is the colour purple represented well in the covenant levels? You're answer will determine if I buy Halo 5. And it may spawn a 10 page thread.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Better hardware can produce better graphics at twice the frametime, especially with a game with a graphics emphasis. News at 11.

Umm??? It's a fair comparison to judge the trade-offs of performance, graphics, effects etc in similar games with similar sci-fi undertones in the same genre. One happens to be a year + a half old.

I don't think a suggestion can be made that the gameplay in the game was sacrificed for the graphics. Mistakes and poor choices were made, when it came to story, encounter design among others... Killzone gameplay however, that was solidified a long time ago with previous entries.

panda-zebra

1) not final product (first party games can improve a lot in a short period)

What's unique to first party that makes this so?

Pretty ignorant statement given that optimization and bug fixing is the last thing that happens in game development.

Pretty ignorant statement given that optimization and bug fixing sometimes takes place months after release.

Damn, how?

51Xv5lSr8kL.jpg

One day I should complete my thesis on the average post and console ownership history in negative Gaf threads. This should be cross referenced with a graph showing the (apparent) relative importance of feature, tech or personnel being discussed and divided by the difference in conversation momentum versus "positive" threads.

There's nothing wrong with DF stories as long as they caveat them and don't make assumptions about the final product. I would say the real issue is what folks with zero legitimate interest in the game then do with the information or more accurately, ammunition they glean.

PLease notify me when this is ready. lol

Ishan

What's unique to first party that makes this so?

Pretty ignorant statement given that optimization and bug fixing sometimes takes place months after release.

51Xv5lSr8kL.jpg

First party devs are optimizing towards only 1 target spec and also have more experience with that spec so familiarity plus singular focus = better optimizations (I assume)

AYF 001

Part of me wonders if DX12 will help make any difference when it arrives? For all we know, 343 could be working to make sure H5 is fully DX12 compatible and that they'll hit their target specs then.

Madness

"answer me or else"

nice way to treat developers visiting GAF

Yup, but I'd say it's more like treating fellow GAF'ers visiting GAF. Frank's been a member here since 2004. Always funny when people say he hasn't responded to us but is in so and so thread or posted this, as if it's his job to placate the nerds on HaloGAF.

panda-zebra

First party devs are optimizing towards only 1 target spec and also have more experience with that spec so familiarity plus singular focus = better optimizations (I assume)

So why does that take place late in the day over the development period?

Honestly I don't care about how good the game looks or how many effects it has or doesnt have.

Halo 3 was not a great looking game but it was a lot of fun. The only real impressive thing was the hdr lighting and the water effects on Valhalla.

Just make a great game that runs 1080p/30 all the time and do what effects you can within those constraints.

If the combat scenarios, weapons, and enemies are fun people will keep coming back and more people will buy the game.

If there's flashy graphics effects but it cranks down to 720p all the time and frame rate is inconsistent that's a bad experience.

Ishan

So why does that take place late in the day over the development period?
Like I said I'm assuming that familiarity and focus essentially Elevates all phases of dev and given optimizations are normally the last part they also would be suitably better in that phase of dev too ... I'm just making an analog to say if I left all my code optimizations to the end I would assume I would be able to optimiza it much better in a langue I'm familiar with ... assumingsomething similar .

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Comic Con is next week, 343 has a panel on friday.
RTX is pushed back to august this year, and actually it's during Gamescom's week, so I'm going to assume 343 will be focused on Gamescom. Might be wrong, but I don't expect them to be at two events at the same time.
I'm expecting a forge reveal of sorts at rtx. Isn't that where reach and 4 were first shown?

panda-zebra

Like I said I'm assuming that familiarity and focus essentially Elevates all phases of dev and given optimizations are normally the last part they also would be suitably better in that phase of dev too ... I'm just making an analog to say if I left all my code optimizations to the end I would assume I would be able to optimiza it much better in a langue I'm familiar with ... assumingsomething similar .

Would have thought late work might prove more effective on multiplats given the opportunity to replace the generic with more tailored, platform-specific optimisations, personally. First party targeting a single platform much less so.

c0de

1152 x 810.

ahahaha. it's like they're trying so hard not to go down as low as 1280x720.

finally we're seeing what the xbone is truly capable of.

is it going to be like witcher dynamic resolution where it is 900p most of the time and goes up to 1080p instead of the other way around?

You seem happy. But I wonder why.

I wonder why naughty dog shows something so polished so much earlier than 343.

I just get the impression that naughty dog is a tier above 343 in tech and skill.

That's just my impression from their output as of late.

wachie

I don't know what the problem is here? 343 aimed for performance first and are trying to keep that consistent and deliver the best looking experience they can. It reminds me of Forza 5 at launch but here the effects are cranked up much more so understandable that the resolution had to take a dip.

"answer me or else"

nice way to treat developers visiting GAF
Yeah WTF was that shit. Sometimes I'm really embarrassed by the way some nut jobs here treat the devs. Frank is an awesome asset to GAF and I am glad to have him around and not just in the gaming but also in the OT forum.

I really hope he ignores that post.

Top Bottom