• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Face-Off: Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Xbox One trumps PS4

Except the PC version is (relatively) bad too.

So how, exactly, can the Xbox One version be this good, in spite of requiring (in theory) the most optimization, without being "purposely given more optimization time"?

You think they tripped and landed on a keyboard which spit out a relatively superior Xbox One version?

If the game was built on PC, it would be relatively easy to port it down to Xbox One. Porting it across to PS4 is what I'm guessing caused the performance hit.

I think it's more a possibility of incompetence rather than malice.

If the game was built on PC, it would be relatively easy to port it down to Xbox One. Porting it across to PS4 is what I'm guessing caused the performance hit.

I think it's more a possibility of incompetence rather than malice.
I don't think you realize how close the PS4 and Xbox One are architecturally.

klee123

How the heck can this game struggle in the performance department other than Capcom being a bunch of incompetent fucks and focusing just on the Xbone version?

The game looks like an average last gen game. Heck even RE6 on PS3 looked way more impressive than this.

Lol at DF nice title too.

I don't think you realize how close the PS4 and Xbox One are architecturally.

I do realize, but if the game was written with DirectX, there could definitely be software problems during the porting process.

The SDK's for the two consoles are different, even if the hardware is close.

big_z

I won't be buying this until I know if week two and three are at least as good so ill see if capcom patches the ps4 version during the release schedule.

I have no problem getting it on Xbox, I own all consoles so I have no salty tears. Makes me wonder if dragons dogma will be a mess though. I think that runs on the same engine.

I won't be buying this until I know if week two and three are at least as good so ill see if capcom patches the ps4 version during the release schedule.

I have no problem getting it on Xbox, I own all consoles so I have no salty tears. Makes me wonder if dragons dogma will be a mess though. I think that runs on the same engine.
It's on fewer platforms though, so it better not have performance issues like this on PS4.

Did they ever use the word "trump" when PS4 did the same to Xb1 (TR and MGS for example)?

Anyway shame on Capcom, the game's graphics are even below PS3 levels, it should run smoothly on both consoles without a sweat.

Perhaps they are using the "Trump" verbiage because in terms of performance, with few exceptions the PS4 is the clear leader.

Journey

Banned
I have a strange feeling that if the game ran worse on Xbox One, say 30fps, people would be happy with the PS4 version exactly how it is right now.

mejin

I have a strange feeling that if the game ran worse on Xbox One, say 30fps, people would be happy with the PS4 version exactly how it is right now.

After AC Unity, we have another case of Xbox One version being better just because they messed up PS4 version.

There is no winning on bad optimized games, but a win is a win, right?!

Dwayne

While DF is the standard, I have this game and played through the first half in co-op last night on PS4, didn't notice any framerate drops. Shame to see people turning away from the game based on DF's findings.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Not really...most people would have wanted it locked 30 instead of super variable like this. And also, the graphics and visuals dont even warrant 30fps to begin with even on XB1

But that's obvious, cause there's no reason for the performance disparity when the PS4 is essentially a stronger version ofthe same thing.

It's crazy how much attention this Face Off thread is getting in comparison to the Dead or Alive Final Round Face Off Thread. 17 pages vs 1 page. "Xbox One Trumps PS4" definitely gets people's attention.

Reebot

Clckbait on DF's part. You're seeing the echo of the amount of clicks they are generating by the number of posts in this thread.

The subtitle is a pretty factual statement though. Like, in this case, yeah the Xbone clearly trumped the PS4. Their wording isn't a stretch at all.

CoG

The subtitle is a pretty factual statement though. Like, in this case, yeah the Xbone clearly trumped the PS4. Their wording isn't a stretch at all.

As the PS4 has in nearly every other face-off this generation but never have we seen such a hyperbolic title.

Reebot

As the PS4 has in nearly every other face-off this generation but never have we seen such a hyperbolic title.

Wouldn't that make this reversal noteworthy and something you'd want in a title?

And that's not what "hyperbolic" means, nothing is exaggerated.

Fury451

Banned
I don't think it's really clickbait when they're calling out a botched port job.

It's how they're calling it out that's getting attention. "Trumps" is inflammatory, like it's a fistfight and the One beat the PS4.

It should say, "Xbox One is more stable version of RE: Revelations." Or "PS4 port is hack job."

GnawtyDog

Banned
It's how they're calling it out that's getting attention. "Trumps" is inflammatory, like it's a fistfight and the One beat the PS4.

It should say, "Xbox One is more stable version of RE: Revelations." Or "PS4 port is hack job."

The obtuse rebuttal to that is: DF is free to pick the words they want. Just cause you don't like it... ...... ......... ............

Fury451

Banned
The obtuse rebuttal to that is: DF is free to pick the words they want. Just cause you don't like it... ...... ......... ............

I'm pointing out why it's drawing attention, it's a title that's intended to stick out. Whether it's intentional clickbait is debatable. That's all.

I could care less, I bought it on PS4, I'm enjoying it. For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any real problems with it, aside from it not running at 60fps perplexingly. Haven't played Raid yet, maybe it turns into a train wreck in that mode.

What is obvious to me from the various DF threads is that people really like/expect consistency. So while it's understandable why the article is titled the way it is (I mean really, this is an incredibly odd case so it makes sense to title it in this manner), it's going to seem weird to those who expect or want consistency when PS4 "victories" aren't afforded the same title once in a while. Even if the reasoning for the title this time is sound, incongruence will make people wary.

Also, Capcom, plz.

Mikey Jr.

Wow, that PS4 framerate is straight up garbage. Holy cow.

If it was a few frame lower than xbone, I would say "Yeah, xbone can probably do this and this better, so it can get a better framerate."

But when that shit drops down to 27fps and xbone is getting 60fps solid, there is definitely something else going on.

RedSwirl

Isn't this the price of lower-budget "AA" games? If a game with graphics like this had excellent gameplay I wouldn't really care.

People love the Souls games but often forget how modest they are tech-wise. Their console framerates are pretty shit, and they're all comparatively very light on fancy tech effects. In a lot of ways they look a little like PS2-era games in terms of rendering, just with more modern amounts of polygons. I guess people don't notice because those games are saved by excellent art direction.

Would you want to play a modern game that's as deep as Deus Ex (I'm not saying Rev 2 is), but has art assets of about the same quality as Deus Ex? I guess some lower-budget modern games offset this with more stylized visuals like Dishonored or Catherine (and Persona 5).

SenkiDala

AF is a PS4 killer. Tanked that framerate.

AF? (Sorry English is not my mother language and I don't know a lot of technical terms! :p)

Anyway, I play this game on PC and no issues so far, I didn't have any framedrops (I locked at 60fps) except when the game is saving (little orange logo on the down left side of the screen). A great game btw, I love it. :)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So, is there anyone who can get in contact with Capcom and ask them why their game runs like crap on PS4? Its gonna be worse if the ps3 and 360 versions are stable.

If konami can redo a bad port job, capcom can as well

Seems to me that people should be questioning why the game is running poorly on the PS4 more than worrying about the title of a DF article.

The title is only inflammatory to people who feel like they have something to defend.

sleepykyo

It's crazy how much attention this Face Off thread is getting in comparison to the Dead or Alive Final Round Face Off Thread. 17 pages vs 1 page. "Xbox One Trumps PS4" definitely gets people's attention.

Well Resident Evil is a bigger franchise and Revelations is on more platforms for now. Like there isn't any reason for pc fans to even care until Mar and then another 3 months after that in regards to DOA Last Round.

Fury451

Banned
Seems to me that people should be questioning why the game is running poorly on the PS4 more than worrying about the title of a DF article.

The title is only inflammatory to people who feel like they have something to defend.

Okay. I think that's what people are mostly focused on? Capcom decided to release a perplexingly inferior port on a system that can more than handle it- that's the issue, and that's what is being discussed, but there's no resolution to be had as of now, because this doesn't really make sense.

How they worded their title is par for the course for DF. If it's bothersome, it's easily ignored.

Oh thank you, now I remember what it is! XD Just I'm not used to call it "AF", in French I say the full name, or "aniso" (hum... xD), but it's probably just me doing that. :D

Well yes, AF needs a lot of ressources but I don't get why the PS4 wouldn't handle this if the Xbox One can. :/ Maybe a patch will be coming, or maybe Capcom did a bad job, I dunno.

There are a few sticklers when it comes to that for some reason, Thief, Strider to name a few and they haven't patched those so I don't believe it will be taken care of. I say it's something they overlooked in rushing it out as far more demanding titles have it in spades. The Order 1886 to name one, it's only a handful of titles with this issue hence my conclusion.

Both consoles should be able to handle this without any issues. The PS4 version being inferior just confirms to me that it's just another case of shitty optimisation, that's not to say it isn't inexcusable!

Hawk269

Wow, that PS4 framerate is straight up garbage. Holy cow.

If it was a few frame lower than xbone, I would say "Yeah, xbone can probably do this and this better, so it can get a better framerate."

But when that shit drops down to 27fps and xbone is getting 60fps solid, there is definitely something else going on.

It was just a bad port of the game. Not sure why so many have their panties in an uproar because a Xbox One game is out performing a PS4 version of the same game. Obviously, the game is not breaking any graphical new standards or anything like that. When I see a game that IMHO just looks "ok" and I see a drop in frame rate like I seen in those video's, it is obvious it was just a bad port.

I don't see an issue with the title that DF has put on it. It is accurate and proof is in the video that supports that claim. Like someone else posted earlier, some are just in an uproar and are acting like they have to defend their platform. It is just a lousy port...nothing more.

Hopefully they will patch it to get it where it should be.

Top Bottom