• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Face-Off: Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Xbox One trumps PS4

Durante

As with other MT Framework 2.0 games, anti-aliasing is limited to FXAA3 HQ as its maximum setting.
I don't really think FXAA only is a big issue for MT framework games on PC. They run so well that you can simply downsample from 4k and still get perfectly locked 60 FPS. (At least that's my experience with RE6)

And 4k downsampling combined with FXAA at the source resolution results in pretty good IQ.

That byline tho.

Also, not a lot of gameplay and overall game impressions padding this article. Guess that's only important when the XB1 version comes up short.

No gameplay analysis. Strange.

Thread title is hilarious. DF probably would have shouted "Victory for XBOX one!" from a mountain top if given the opportunity.

cG71ugb.gif

Ivan 3414

Thread title is hilarious. DF probably would have shouted "Victory for XBOX one!" from a mountain top if given the opportunity.

I'm sure interest for these articles is waning since the victor is usually the same every time. As long as they aren't stretching the truth, I don't blame them for trying to grab our attention once more. And I don't really have an affinity for either consoles(although I'm looking to get a PS4) so I don't see why this would offend anyone.

Seanspeed

Banned
They fucked up on pc with that bait and switch on the co-op though. Pc version is definitely the way to go aside from that.
Oh I know. Just poking a bit of fun at those would be crying about 'well co-op has nothing to do with performance, just stick to the technical facts Digital Foundry!' crowd had it been the PS4 platform that was being talked about.

I know, but still, I don't like that "lowest frame rate" metric in any comparison. Some sites have moved onto percentiles. A setup maybe pushing 50fps most of of the time but it may fall below 30 in an area, vs a setup that may be going 45 fps but would fall to 35. A percentile chart would better represent the performance, be it truly worse or not.
If that was their lone statistic for displaying the performance difference, I would agree, but its not.

Fury451

Banned
I'm sure interest for these articles is waning since the victor is usually the same every time. As long as they aren't stretching the truth, I don't blame them for trying to grab our attention once more. And I don't really have an affinity for either consoles(although I'm looking to get a PS4) so I don't see why this would offend anyone.

It's largely their history with regards to console wars that ruffles feathers. They have a pretty clear bias in their articles. It's easy to ignore though if you just want the best performing version, but it can be irritating when they go out of their way to justify performance issues on their favored console, but shred the opposition whenever they get a chance.

NHale

Considering the massive difference between both versions what's the issue with the title? He's not lying about it as the proof inside the article clearly shows.

Krakn3Dfx

dewey-defeats-truman.jpg

Edit:

So a little OT, if you buy the current gen version of the game, aren't you supposed to get the last gen version for free? Thought I had seen a thread about this previously, but when I went to download the PS3 version last night, it still wanted me to pay for it. Maybe I just misread something, or maybe it's only the $25 version that applies.

Update: NM, apparently only if you buy the whole thing at once.

Azax

Or maybe Sony didnt support this title all that well?

Well good for Xbone to run a last gen game so well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DF doesn't really deal with those systems much anymore, likely because they don't generate many clicks compared to PS4/XB1 face-offs.

I was disappointed we never got a Lightning Returns face-off.
Companies don't want to send them out either and, heck, I had to buy the ps4 version myself anyways.

What a strange outcome. In some scenes the X1 pretty much stays at 60fps, while the PS4 dips into the 30's and below? How is that even possible?

Lol, Capcom, lol.

Hex

Banned
This thread.
I swear some people must have been saving some of this up for a long time now.
Either way I am looking forward to playing this when I finally get around to beating RE-make.
Hopefully there will be a patch by then.

Kssio_Aug

So many salty people already. Come one!
I just bought the XB1 version but specially because of its price in my region. So, that's good news for me!

Monster Zero

So, do people believe DF is positive for Xone, negative against Sony, or just want some REVENUE FOR THEIR WEBSITE.
Maybe all 3?

This thread.
I swear some people must have been saving some of this up for a long time now.
Either way I am looking forward to playing this when I finally get around to beating RE-make.
Hopefully there will be a patch by then.

Yeah, I'd say wait for a patch or if you have an XBO, go for that version.

WITHE1982

Just bought the season pass on PS4 about 30 seconds ago. I'll still enjoy the hell out of the split screen co-op but WTH Capcom. 27 FPS at some points! Jesus the Xbox One is up at 55-60 when the PS4 is chugging along at sub 30.

I expect a patch for this pronto. No excuse for such poor optimization.

so much salt from me

tumblr_inline_n9ny0e7DuS1st5h9i.gif

i-hope-salt-can-protect-me-from-slender-man_o_860685.gif

QaaQer

What a strange outcome. In some scenes the X1 pretty much stays at 60fps, while the PS4 dips into the 30's and below? How is that even possible?

Lol, Capcom, lol.

There could be some dx magic and/or MS is pumping money into 3rd party optimizations. Either way, good for x1 owners if they like this sort of thing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's kinda true dx.
Only if the person writing held actual bias towards the Xbox One which is most certainly not the case here.

The ps4 version sucks. It's quite disappointing. I had that version on pre-order (the disc) but ended up cancelling after this.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
So, do people believe DF is positive for Xone, negative against Sony, or just want some REVENUE FOR THEIR WEBSITE.
Maybe all 3?

it gets people talking, despite what anyone thinks. in the world of online media, that is all that really matters if you don't have to abide by some sort of standard.

a real tech analysis would be chart based and with standardized criteria, imo.

This is absolutely disgusting crap$om I purchased my ps4 for a reason If u don't patch the frames that I not only deserve but need I am done with you. Trading my ps4 in tomorrow.

c0de

Strange to see the flickering at 0:35 in the video on the shadows of the PS4 version while this is not present in the Xbone version.

Gurish

Did they ever use the word "trump" when PS4 did the same to Xb1 (TR and MGS for example)?

Anyway shame on Capcom, the game's graphics are even below PS3 levels, it should run smoothly on both consoles without a sweat.

QaaQer

Only if the person writing held actual bias towards the Xbox One which is most certainly not the case here.

The ps4 version sucks. It's quite disappointing. I had that version on pre-order (the disc) but ended up cancelling after this.

No no, not you. RL does tend to inject a little more subjective material into his df stuff tho. And that might not be a bad thing as some readers may want that, idk.

RowdyReverb

Did they ever use the word "trump" when PS4 did the same to Xb1 (TR and MGS for example)?

Anyway shame on Capcom, the game's graphics are even below PS3 levels, it should run smoothly on both consoles without a sweat.
There are more PS4 owners on the internet, and especially watching DF, so articles like this create controversy which results in additional page views. It's also why DF lets the Xbox down easy in the face-offs, but they put the PS4 down hard. Don't take it personally, it's just that angry people click more and comment more and ultimately view more ads as a result.

Top Bottom