• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Is Uncharted 4 the generational leap we were hoping for?

Reg

Banned
By the way, if anyone wants to see a truly amazing dissection of the demo in both gameplay and tech watch this video.

He catches all sorts of shit I missed the first time, really gives you an appreciation of what Naughty Dog is already accomplishing. It's infinitely more useful than this Digital Foundry article, but your mileage may vary.

And he brings up some great points about the framerate as well.

Wow, this is way more interesting than the DF article. Thanks.

This comment always makes me scratch my head. The rationale doesn't have many variables in it. It's just extremely linear thinking. Either people don't understand development cycles or they are just being very very hopeful.

I've cringed at some comments in other threads like "They got this much already in pre-alpha, wait till we see what becomes of UC at the end of this generation!!"

Do we really think we'll see that early E3 trailer footage to be some gameplay in 5 yrs on the same limited hardware?

Again, I wrote that to everyone doubting that the game won't evolve in the future, but this is only intended to you since you are the only one insisting on that: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Didn’t Look Like the PlayStation Experience Demo Just Three Weeks Ago:
http://goo.gl/ad9xZh

2 days ago I was talking about how UT4 is still using the old UE3 UT3 weapons models in the pre-alpha. Yesterday's update just brought some of the new weapons using the PBR materials (and shields are using it now too) and the novelties featured in 4.6 update like the emissive textures and we are still in the pre-alpha.

Alienous

By the way, if anyone wants to see a truly amazing dissection of the demo in both gameplay and tech watch this video.

He catches all sorts of shit I missed the first time, really gives you an appreciation of what Naughty Dog is already accomplishing. It's infinitely more useful than this Digital Foundry article, but your mileage may vary.

And he brings up some great points about the framerate as well.

I don't think this guy knows what he's talking about. Everything is tessellation, apparently.

The video is a little dark is my only complaint. I think if it was popping with colors reactions would be different. This game looks fantastic and they'll only look better a few years from now. I bet it's going to have some of those "wow" moments that we haven't really seen much of yet this gen.

edit watch this video Amir0x posted and set it to 1440p and tell me that shit doesn't look good.

Looks like 1080p upscaled to 1440p

Dreez

The presentation's graphics were a generational leap from Uncharted 3. Go back and compare them... The difference is HUGE.

truth411

I think you guys who are not impressed by U4 I.Q. Don't realize just how expensive 60fps is.. if they hit the I.Q. of the demo with full 1920x1080p @60fps, then it would be the most technically advanced console games ever made... Ever!!!!

The presentation's graphics were a generational leap from Uncharted 3. Go back and compare them... The difference is HUGE.

That is not what people are talking about though. That much is pretty obvious.
I think you guys who are not impressed by U4 I.Q. Don't realize just how expensive 60fps is.. if they hit the I.Q. of the demo with full 1920x1080p @60fps, then it would be the most technically advanced console games ever made... Ever!!!!

The demo wasnt at 60fps though. At all.
Do games usually hit 60 fps a year out? The game doesn't waver from 30. As I said earlier it is likely they went for consistency rather than fluctuations and capped it at 30. For presentation reasons it makes more sense to be consistent.
That is conjecture. The demo is running at 30 and a previous video ran at 60. Questioning the hows and whys of that first video in comparison to this is EXACTLY what DF did.

I have no idea if the game will run at 60 when it comes out, but my deduction from how other games look and run on the PS4 in combination with what we know about PS4 hardware lends me to doubt that it would be a rock solid 60 if that happened.

emalord

To answer the OP

YES this is a generational leap as well the first Uncharted was
And I mean it both gameplay wise and graphically wise

and YES there is still room for improvement my PC friends
Just like between UC1 and UC2 because so console always worked

and do not forget we are having THESE outcomes on a modified TLoU old-generation engine which is revealing of ND prestige
(Can't imagine how new IP on new engine will look like)

EDIT: hope it will be capped 30fps with some more effects than 60fps with some cuts here and there
I just can't see the final build having present performance AND 60fps together

StevieP

Banned

That's a big if a year out, considering it's 30 right now.

truth411

That is not what people are talking about though. That much is pretty obvious.

The demo wasnt at 60fps though. At all.

Of course it wasn't, it's still a year out. We know there targeting 60fps, and bumping up the frame rate takes place near the end of the dev cycle. It's obvious they lock/cap the frame rate of the demo @ 30 since its the first time being revealed instead of uncapped an have the frame rate flying everywhere.

Again, I wrote that to everyone doubting that the game won't evolve in the future, but this is only intended to you since you insist: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Didn’t Look Like the PlayStation Experience Demo Just Three Weeks Ago:
http://goo.gl/ad9xZh

2 days ago I was talking about how UT4 is still using the old UE3 UT3 weapons models in the pre-alpha.

Well, I would expect that to change.. You don't want old models and textures for a presentation. Pretty easy to swap.

Yesterday's update just brought some of the new weapons using the PBR materials (and shields are using it now too) and the novelties featured in 4.6 update like the emissive textures and we are still in the pre-alpha.

But you already had PBR implemented into the graphics engine (which took a lot of time). That's not the same as putting PBR in an engine that doesn't have it and then redoing all assets to use the PBR change in 2 days.

Of course it wasn't, it's still a year out. We know there targeting 60fps, and bumping up the frame rate takes place near the end of the dev cycle. It's obvious the lock/cap the frame rate of the demo @ 30 since its the first time being revealed instead of uncapped an F the frame rate flying everywhere.
Is it obvious though? No one from ND has said, "yeah this will totally run at a flat 60 at release, we just capped it at half of that for the purposes of a smooth demonstration."

Until that is said, I get the ever so eerie feeling that this game will be a capped 30. Because that is all I have been shown and what also seems realistic given its current IQ and graphical effects quality. There is no magic.
He didn't say it was. 60fps is the target and he said if it retains the image quality of the demo at 60fps then it would be more advanced than people are giving it credit for currently.

It is hard to give credit to a hypothetical reality.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
But you already had PBR implemented into the graphics engine (which took a lot of time). That's not the same as putting PBR in an engine that doesn't have it and then redoing all assets to use the PBR change in 2 days.
You can do it. EVE and Warframe are both patching in PBR

Well, I would expect that to change.. You don't want old models and textures for a presentation. Pretty easy to swap.

I don't know how Naughty Dog work and neither do you. UE3 doesn't support PBR by default but Rocksteady maanged to implement it in Arkham Knight in their custom version of UE3. I f Rocksteady are able to freely modify a game engine they ddin't create and add stuff it was not supposed to have why do you think ND won't be able to do the same especially if they are the owner and creator of their own engine ?

This

You can do it. EVE and Warframe are both patching in PBR

and this:

And Ryse added in PBR in the summer before its release (demod originally with an engine that was more similar to 3.58 and not 3.6). So it is 100% doable, especially for in-production games.

I don't know how Naughty Dog work and neither do you. UE3 doesn't support PBR by default but Rocksteady maanged to implement it in Arkham Knight in their custom version of UE3. I f Rocksteady are able to freely modify a game engine they ddin't create and add stuff it was not supposed to have why do you think ND won't be able to do the same especially if they are the owner and creator of their own engine ?

Have they outlined their workflow yet and said it is PBR?

To me it looks like the samaritan UE3 engine. Which is not PBR.

Hah, I dont think anyone would doubt this video is real time (didn't some dude fall through the floor while demo'ing it originally?).

Rather, I would doubt whether the first video put out @ E3 was real time / represented the realtime quality of the game's graphics.

seen your post in the other topic and you are not grasping a fundamentalic basic of game presentation

1. Realtime video based on the game engine and assets
2. Cutscene
3. Gameplay where we see HUD and QET events and where the player controls movements

The E3 reveal was 1.
The Drake Brother scene was 2.
Everything else was 3.

1. uses all the assets and the engine to make a video sort of like Photomode. we know playing the game it doesnt look like the Photomode but it looks almost as good.
2. Uses all assets which will be in gameplay but non-controllable, this has higher level of graphics than gameplay but less than realtime as there are no variable physics and AI at play
3. Implements Graphics, Physics and AI in one and resources are shifted away from Graphics and into other elements of play.

I would rank

1. as 100% of graphical capability
2. as 90% of graphical capability
3. as 80% of the graphical capability

and we are 1 year from launch so that 80% could easily move near 90%.

if people realise these 3 simple facts of game presentation they will realise there is no 'DOWNGRADE' as there was no gameplay and controllable elements in E3 reveal.

You can call it a downgrade when the RELEASED version of the game does not match the graphics of Saturday's video

Is it obvious though? No one from ND has said, "yeah this will totally run at a flat 60 at release, we just capped it at half of that for the purposes of a smooth demonstration."

Until that is said, I get the ever so eerie feeling that this game will be a capped 30. Because that is all I have been shown and what also seems realistic given its current IQ and graphical effects quality. There is no magic.

Why is it so hard for people to understand this? Are they that delusional? No other developer has been able to achieve these next-gen features on this hardware at 60fps so far. What makes people believe ND is magical and can extract out that from this limited hardware?

charsace

You are talking about the Ubisoft way of showing high end PC footage and then pretending its the console version (and sometimes the first shown footage can't even be done on PC). Also Ryse setting the bar to high? Yeah that sub 1080p and sub 30fps game really made the bar too high for other devs to follow.

Resolution and 30fps isn't what I think of when I think of something being technologically impressive and professionals in the graphics industry seem to think so too since Ryse has won awards.

If I make a game with PS2 level graphics that runs at 2k resolution, 60fps, and great AA for current gen consoles, would that be the best looking game of the generation?

I think so and many mentioned that too. Their materials now look physically accurate, check the latest trailers.

Well for me it is hard to say when something is or is not unless I see lots of material variation rather than "rainy night metal."

As far as I know, it is using the Samaritan engine version of U.E.3 (you can see the reflection shadowing for instance and the per object motionblur added then), which is not PBR. I think I would stick by that before commenting further.

Chinner

Banned
The NX Gamer video suggests that it's locked at a solid 30fps... Is this true by other accounts? If it's locked at a stable 30fps, that would suggest that it's running above that possibly. Doesn't make it a much of a stretch for 60fps to happen after a year of development.

emalord

What here couldn't have been done in the past 10 years?

Escaping a grenade blowing away a shelter while running for your life jumping and hanging like a Tarzan of sort and landing on a mercenary a level below in a 3 seconds action orgasm?

To me this is next gen Uncharted

EDIT: love also enemies changing position vertically

The NX Gamer video suggests that it's locked at a solid 30fps... Is this true by other accounts? If it's locked at a stable 30fps, that would suggest that it's running above that possibly. Doesn't make it a much of a stretch for 60fps to happen after a year of development.

combine with the fact that this was a presentation and the build is likely a few weeks old.

if it didnt go below 30 during gameplay it might be running between 30 and 45 if unlocked.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
True but considering ND hasn't commented on the target in a while, I think that it'll probably stay at 30. If it does, I think we'll see some significant visual additions to this current build or this is close to how the final game would look but at 60fps.

Not in 2 days.
They've got 10-11 months.

True but considering ND hasn't commented on the target in a while, I think that it'll probably stay at 30. If it does, I think we'll see some sognificant visual additions to this current build or this is close to how the final game would look but at 60fps.

the question arises. do you want THIS level of graphics at 60 fps or even better quality of graphics at 30 fps

I think so and many mentioned that too. Their materials now look physically accurate, check the latest trailers.

You can't tell whether a material is physically accurate by eyeballing it. LOL!

Putting physically based shaders on something doesn't mean it's energy conserving. You would be hard-pressed to tell a Phong from a GGX model just by looking at it in motion. You can have a roughness value on a Phong model too. You can also have a fresnel term and it still be non-energy conserving.

To me it looks pretty clear that it's there - from his flashlight only - and it's the enhanced version of the flashlight GI bounce effect they already had in TLOU on PS3. Why would they retread from that?

That's not Global Illumination though. That's an effect of lighting up more than just the flashlights direct light path. Global Illumination is more than that. Plus the light radius on that flash light is huge and I think what he's seeing and calling Global Illumination is just the out edges of the light radius of that flashlight. In some cases there seems to be some light bounce, but that's not all GI is. Call it a Global illumination like effect. Don't call it GI.

TLoU has a GI like effect, it doesn't have GI.

The effect pretty clearly is there, even if it's not 100% anatomically correct. The adam's apple movement is also there as they talk to each other.

Words mean things, and if you say they have it moving anatomically correct and it isn't then you're wrong. I just watched it again, to me, it feels more like good deformation than an anatomically correct movement. Which is great it's awesome to see better deformation on video game characters. I wouldn't call it anatomically correct though.

There's definitely a disconnect IMHO between the neck muscles and the head, things are deforming better than they have in the past, but the muscle isn't stretching and squashing the way it should. I'm only expecting that though because the guy claims its moving anatomically correct.

Its definitely really good deformations, and an improvement over past generations, that doesn't make it anatomically correct though, so don't claim that.

You realize many high end feature level rigs have muscle simulations going on, and are REALLY accurate anatomically in how skin moves on muscle and what's going on. That's NOT going on here. There are some fantastic deformations going on, and they've got it rigged to fake some really cool under skin activity, but its not doing a skin over muscle and bone simulation here.

You understand there are effects, and way of faking things, and then there's actually doing those things. You can't claim something is doing something when its not. That's not being technically accurate.

If you're going to do a video like that, and push that information you need to be technically accurate.

emalord

True but considering ND hasn't commented on the target in a while, I think that it'll probably stay at 30. If it does, I think we'll see some sognificant visual additions to this current build or this is close to how the final game would look but at 60fps.

True
Hitting solid 30fps now is refreshing, it means they already have a solid engine
But 60fps is truly another thing and I just can't see them hitting 60fps without sacrifices of sort

I remember the first AssassinsCreed build having framerate issues until the last month then being addressed in the final form but still having solid 60fps is not that easy even if ND have a full year

Either works for me, I just hope they add some excellent motion blur like The Order's if they go 30.

33lpgs9.jpgfkoxc.gif

charsace

The UFC game has the best muscular deformations curently. I don't see anything matching it since the game only has 3 ppl in the ring that are high detail and the rest of the arena isn't.

dracula_x

It is hard to give credit to a hypothetical reality.

Yes, the demo is running at locked 30 fps. But locked 30 fps =/= average 30fps. We don't know, what the real average fps is at the current state of development – maybe 35, maybe 40, or maybe 51.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
While I was watching the keynote live, I was thinking to myself how amazing the game looked, how Naughty Dog always thought of things before other developers.

I thought about how excited everyone on Neogaf was going to be...
Baffled at the reactions.

TBH it looks amazing if they get it running at 60fps. If the game is released at 30fps then I can say I expected more graphically from ND.

That's not Global Illumination though. That's an effect of lighting up more than just the flashlights direct light path. Global Illumination is more than that. Plus the light radius on that flash light is huge and I think what he's seeing and calling Global Illumination is just the out edges of the light radius of that flashlight. In some cases there seems to be some light bounce, but that's not all GI is. Call it a Global illumination like effect. Don't call it GI.

TLoU has a GI like effect, it doesn't have GI.

Completely disagree here. TLOU is using GI and so was that demo. That is one thing in that demo analysis that I agree with. You can challenge it if you want, but I believe it is definitely using that flashlight dynamic light probe trick in that cave.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On the note of the flashlight, I'm so fucking glad it's an actual light source with an origin now instead of just linked with the camera movement. Same with actual gun straps.

On the note of the flashlight, I'm so fucking glad it's an actual light source with an origin now instead of just linked with the camera movement. Same with actual gun straps.

How did it work before exactly? Spinning the camera would move the flashlight although nate's hands were elsewhere?

Top Bottom