• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Konami ever fix the Silent Hill HD collection?

Fox Mulder

You are just scratching the tip of the iceberg...The original Team Silent must have been seriously depressed when these were released, such a disgusting lack of respect.

makes me not want to even support konami going forward. Just a gross product and shitty support.

Anung

Un Rama
aSo9s.png

SkylineRKR

Even though I am a fan of the first 3 games I didn't buy this as I didn't want to experience inferior versions of a classic. I did buy ZoE HD, which was also a piece of shit, but not nearly as bad as this one. And ZoE2 HD got fixed completely, its brilliant now.

Silent Hill HD's treatment is a crime against the ones who created these games, and against the fans.

Especially after the masterful MGS collection one can see how Konami feels about the franchise today. They didn't give a fuck and on top of it they let studios like Double Helix and Vatra work on the IP. There is a reason why PT is so beloved. Its also because this is Silent Hill with a Triple A studio and a much respected movie director like Guillermo Del Toro behind it.

jimi_dini

That's the only line I don't mind. I believe Heather would be more unhinged and angry at that point

But it takes away from the ending. Where she actually used a swear word in the original.

They shouldn't have changed anything at all. The games are a work of art. Reminds me of this:
UEnYzt3.jpg

How many people are complaining about the modifications that George Lucas did to Star Wars? And at least in that case it is the original creator. Tom Hewlett, Troy Baker, McGlynn and the other incompetent people weren't involved in the creation of the originals at all.

btw. is the internal PS2 software emulator for PS3 working with Silent Hill 2+3? They could have at least released the originals as digital download.

And the fucking most pivotable video tape scene in Silent Hill 2 is just god awful, like if the developers wanted to make a hilarious joke on its consumers:

5.jpg

Well they surely cropped the hell out of the original video. And they even fucked up the aspect ratio.

I guess this was not the right week to stop drinking.

Buffy_drinking.gif

The 1Up article where Tomm Hulett revealed HD Collection was running off beta code always kills me.

Hulett: "It's not like we can just rip a retail disc down and make it from that."

In the VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH is a quote from someone at Bluepoint Games:

"We always reverse-engineer from the retail disc to make sure everything is accurate."

tommykonami.jpg

dark_chris

I think what Konami did to these is even worse than what George Lucas did to the original Star Wars. Such a terrible crime.

The 1Up article where Tomm Hulett revealed HD Collection was running off beta code always kills me.

Hulett: "It's not like we can just rip a retail disc down and make it from that."

"We always reverse-engineer from the retail disc to make sure everything is accurate."

tommykonami.jpg

Sure his heart was at the right place but he was clueless as to what he was doing. He didn't seem to grasp what made Silent Hill work. Also, redoing the voicework for both games was an awful idea that surely cost a lot of money and resources that could've gone into hiring competent people to remaster it correctly.

legacyzero

Banned

tommykonami.jpg

Yep. Can't stand this guy.

Just means you don't even need to buy the HD collections.

Definitive ways to experience Silent Hill is, either, get the PC versions running or emulate the PS2 originals.

I've been meaning to replay them on PC. I did play the PC SH2 up until the apartments couple of years ago but that PC was running Windows Vista which didn't play nice with SH2 at all for some reason.

It just kills me mostly because they are some of my favorite games ever and some people never get to experience the greatness of them.

Sure his heart was at the right place but he was clueless as to what he was doing. He didn't seem to grasp what made Silent Hill work. Also, redoing the voicework for both games was an awful idea that surely cost a lot of money and resources that could've gone into hiring competent people to remaster it correctly.

According to Guy Cihi, Silent Hill 3's original VO work is completely gone. They went into the archives and it was just totally gone. Nowhere in sight.

It's just baffling how much Konami really didn't seem to care about Silent Hill. They obviously look at Kojima as the star child, and everything else gets "meh, do it" treatment. That's the only way anyone can explain selling obviously-flawed beta "HD" versions of games and letting a development team (Hijinx Studios) handle the game when their only body of work previously included cell phone games, stripped-down handheld ports, and one or two digital console games.

Grief.exe

According to Guy Cihi, Silent Hill 3's original VO work is completely gone. They went into the archives and it was just totally gone. Nowhere in sight.

It's just baffling how much Konami really didn't seem to care about Silent Hill. They obviously look at Kojima as the star child, and everything else gets "meh, do it" treatment. That's the only way anyone can explain selling obviously-flawed beta "HD" versions of games and letting a development team (Hijinx Studios) handle the game when their only body of work previously included cell phone games, stripped-down handheld ports, and one or two digital console games.

I don't understand why that is an issue, go into the disc and rip the files.

I don't understand why that is an issue, go into the disc and rip the files.

The audio would have been compressed to fit on the disc. I mean, it's better than nothing, but I can understand the intent to recreate files uncompressed.

Totally didn't happen at all though.

BouncyFrag

I'm reminded of the disappointment of discovering there was a SH HD edition and then finding out it was complete crap when I looked up reviews of it as I had never played the series. I clicked this thread hoping against hope it had been fixed.
6b1bff237d295afd3f621db57ae91447.jpg

spoiler here but for those that have played three.

In the scene where she finds harry dead in the chair
in the 'hd' pile of trash, his face/head is in full view instead of cropped out in the scene.

Insanely bad.

Remeard

Since Silent Hill HD Remake, they've ported plenty of games over directly from their PS2 release on PS3 where you can buy on PSN.

Would it be possible for them to do the same with the Silent Hill games or is there major licensing issues involved that will not allows them to do this?

Just remember, no one are bigger fans of Silent Hill than Tomm. Everything he touched might have turned out horrible, and he might have been truly classless to other lesser fans, but just remember he's bigger than you. #truthfacts #NotTheOneWeNeedButTheOneWeDeserve #OnlyHateCauseItIsNotMadeInJapan

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I don't really have a problem with Tomm, I blame the bigwigs at Konami not giving the series the attention or budget it deserved.

NIGHT-

You can get silent hill 2 or 3 on ps2 for $10 each at your local used game shop. Please avoid the Hd collections

I don't really have a problem with Tomm, I blame the bigwigs at Konami not giving the series the attention or budget it deserved.

It's hard to only blame him, but when he's the one out being vocal with such horse shit as to why people dislike homecoming and such: "they aren't made by Japanese developers" and such trash, it's hard to not dislike him. Of course it wasn't his decision to disband Team Silent or many of other horrible decisions that was taken along the road, but he was always the one out there defending them and being clueless, often a real dick to the fans on forums and such.

Gameboy415

It sounds like playing the original version on PS2/PC is the best way to go, but I played through the entirety of SH3 HD on PS3 over the course of a weekend about a month ago and didn't experience any issues (no glitches, freezing, etc.).
*shrug*

Grief.exe

Seems like they had a pretty sizable budget. Remake the textures, rerecord the audio, etc.

Seems the port would have been better off if they had a smaller budget and more oversight from Konami. Should have just ported the PC versions and stopped there.

jimi_dini

Didn't IGN give this a 9.0? Lol

Yes.
Dqmnvj0.jpg

Presentation got 10/10
Audio 10/10 as well

It seems they didn't play it at all.

Ive been debating on what to get, HD collection or PS2 versions ( I have a BC PS3)

Get the originals. Be happy.
(it's not "just" less fog or less reds, the games are a broken mess in the HD collection with all sorts of problems. There is also slowdown, freezes, sound glitches and all sorts of crap. SH3 doesn't have even the option to get the original voices. Dialog changes. Graphic effects that are missing. I could go on and on.)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ugh. Why did I click on this thread? Sucks to be reminded of this.

This is the most horrifying Silent Hill of all.

Laranja

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think are the chances of we ever getting a proper HD collection after the whole voice-acting shitstorm?

The realist in me says there's no chance in hell, but there's a part of me that still hopes it'll happen...

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think are the chances of we ever getting a proper HD collection after the whole voice-acting shitstorm?

The realist in me says there's no chance in hell, but there's a part of me that still hopes it'll happen...

Very small I would say. I wish they could just re-release them on steam or whatever though, don't even need to make them widescreen, people have figured out how to do that themselves... There is no work needed.

Grief.exe

I just want the original games to be released on Steam. Just fix them up a bit with 16:9 and modern OS tweaks and call it a day.

At this point I will probably be able to run them at 4K resolutions with my 5 year old card.

Very small I would say. I wish they could just re-release them on steam or whatever though, don't even need to make them widescreen, people have figured out how to do that themselves... There is no work needed.

The Steam forums would blow up in anger. The average gamer is just not capable of doing a bit of research.

Maybe with Kojima taking such an active interest in the franchise we'll see a big push to remaster the series for the current gen. Really, I would just like to see a nice remaster of the first game. Shattered Memories is cool, but I just want a nicer looking original with some enhancements gameplay wise.

Laranja

Maybe with Kojima taking such an active interest in the franchise we'll see a big push to remaster the series for the current gen. Really, I would just like to see a nice remaster of the first game. Shattered Memories is cool, but I just want a nicer looking original with some enhancements gameplay wise.

I'd love a Silent Hill remake. But one crafted with love. And with the voice-acting still intact.

Grief.exe

Silent Hill 1-3 remastered in Fox Engine

ijTUTbFngLY2.gif

I've never played a Silent Hill game.

I don't think Konami will do another rerelease for Silent Hill after the HD collection but IF they did I think it would be something like the MGS legacy collection with 1-4 or something with hopefully re-remastered 2+3. I dunno if Kojima cares outside of his own game tho.

Guys SH 2 and 3 are not on PSN :(

I don;t have a PS2 either, so the only way I can play these classics is through the HD collection on PS3......is it worth it? I heard there's been a patch that has fixed it.

I'll play SH and SH4 in the mean time.

I don;t have a PS2 either, so the only way I can play these classics is through the HD collection on PS3......is it worth it? I heard there's been a patch that has fixed it.

If you can't play it any other way, sure. SH 2 is fine after a patch on PS3 outside of horrible looking water on a boat scene. SH 3 seems to still be quite a mixed bag of glitches and bugs even after patch but I didn't play that one after patch so cant really comment.

jimi_dini

You do have a PC? Then get them for PC. Or buy the PS2 ones and buy/rent a PS2 for them. They are worth that. But don't get the HD collection.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Get 2 and 3 for PC, but if that's not feasible.. The HD collection is still bad even after the patch, but at least the games are still good in and of themselves, so..

Grief.exe

Grab the PS2 versions and emulate.

Silent Hill 1-4 remastered in Fox Engine

I've never played a Silent Hill game.

Fixed.

Get 2 and 3 for PC, but if that's not feasible.. The HD collection is still bad even after the patch, but at least the games are still good in and of themselves, so..

I'd rather people watch the original games on youtube before recommending the HD collection. That's how atrocious they are.

JLeack

Banned
Damn it. I want to play the older Silent Hill games so badly, but this collection is garbage. Or so I hear. AHHHH!!!!

Top Bottom