• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Assassin creed origins Xbox one x tech first look.

Matt

Can a game have dynamic res + checkerboarding?

So if it had to drop below 4K it would do checkerboarding instead of a traditional upscale?

Dynamic resolution is better because it means future Xbox revisions can play it at 4K 100% of the time. If it just uses checkerboarding then it will always be stuck with that unless it gets a patch.
It's better to make a game the best way they can now, then to worry about what future changes to the hardware might be able to improve.

We're off topic, but I think the idea is close enough to the nature of a DF article. I wouldn't normally take bait like this, but I like racing games, and I like good racing games, so here we are:

Forza 7 is up there among games in that genre, and it's not a technologically "simple" genre for various reasons. That game running in 4K @ a reliable 60 fps bodes well for the strength of the 1X hardware, doubly-so because a major strain on racing sims is CPU performance, due to the high refresh rate on the underlying simulation. CPU is the weakest aspect of the 1X.

These are from plain gameplay footage captured at E3 (HDR squished down to RGB), and I grabbed the gifs:

bQRDmJi.gif

EKR9pbw.gif

SVUlaCW.gif

It's no surprise to me that the 1X version of Origins is using basically "High" settings from PC.

Beautiful....

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
Depends.
AC goes 900P to CBR 4K with dynamic scaling (this is important to note). Infinite Warfare goes from dynamic 1080P to dynamic 4K, and the 4K in Infinite Warfare is not CBR but real 4K unlike AC.

That difference is proportionally quite similar, especially when you consider that one of them never hits true 4K while the other does.

Infinity Warfare uses CBR on PS4 Pro and a dynamic resolution. So it jumps from dynamic 1080p to dynamic 2160c.

EvB

Can a game have dynamic res + checkerboarding?

So if it had to drop below 4K it would do checkerboarding instead of a traditional upscale?

Dynamic resolution is better because it means future Xbox revisions can play it at 4K 100% of the time. If it just uses checkerboarding then it will always be stuck with that unless it gets a patch.

Assassin's Creed has both

There's going to be an immense amount of more 4k native games on Xbox One X compared to pro that's for sure

Anthem going to look ridiculous better compared to pro

I was already going to buy the 1X but Anthem convinced my brother to do same. That game looks incredible. I hope MS and EA Market the hell out of that game. Best thing I saw at E3.

Assassin's Creed has both

This would make sense of people saying it'll have parity across PS4 Pro and XB1X. It might mean that XB1X is at the max res all the time (or most of the time), and the PS4 Pro version hits that max res less often.

geordiemp

Nothing wrong with 1080p,I'll take 60FPS with high end graphics at 1080p instead of 30FPS and fake 4k.

You will get that if you have a PC wih an I5 or Ryzen.

Jaguar you will get 30 FPS, and with ps4 pro and Xb1X scorpio it will be nice and stable 30 FPS.

Looks nice, I will enjoy my peasant checkerboard on Ps4 pro as opposed to the superior pixel checkerboard on Xb1X

(although in all serious probably the biggest benefit of Xb1X will be the LOD and pop in, resolution you would have to put your face to the damn TV).

There's going to be an immense amount of more 4k native games on Xbox One X compared to pro that's for sure

Were you not going nuts in the Scorpio thread about 60 FPS and we did say you would come back to earth quickly.

Didnt take long did it.

emrober5

Have you seen Anthem on the Pro?

Honestly based on the few game comparisons that we DO have, I wouldn't be surprised if the difference is something like 1800 vs 1440.

It did look great one the one x though. Hopefully that's actually representative of the game when it releases (it won't be).

EvB

You will get that if you have a PC wih an I5 or Ryzen.

Jaguar you will get 30 FPS, and with ps4 pro and Xb1X scorpio it will be nice and stable 30 FPS.

Looks nice, I will enjoy my peasant checkerboard on Ps4 pro as opposed to the superior pixel checkerboard on Xb1X

(although in all serious probably the biggest benefit of Xb1X will be the LOD and pop in).

Textures

Space_nut

Have you seen Anthem on the Pro?

Honestly based on the few game comparisons that we DO have, I wouldn't be surprised if the difference is something like 1800 vs 1440.

It did look great one the one x though. Hopefully that's actually representative of the game when it releases (it won't be).

Pro won't be able to do what the Xbox One X can do due to hardware no matter what res.

5.5GB vs 9.5GB allow superior draw distance, textures, poly models, tesselation, etc

211GB/S vs 326GB/S allows better AF, shaders effects, etc

Pro will run base console settings while X will run pc high settings with 4k assets that memory will allow can't fit in 5.5gb of ran

geordiemp

Yes, games do use textures, pro and 1440 or above I really cant resolve it anymore.

The obvious is LOD and pop in, but thats about it for me on 50 inch 4K at 8 feet.

I could sit MUCH closer and pause....

If you game on a monitor at a desk and sit close then yeah...

Z O N E

We're off topic, but I think the idea is close enough to the nature of a DF article. I wouldn't normally take bait like this, but I like racing games, and I like good racing games, so here we are:

Forza 7 is up there among games in that genre, and it's not a technologically "simple" genre for various reasons. That game running in 4K @ a reliable 60 fps bodes well for the strength of the 1X hardware, doubly-so because a major strain on racing sims is CPU performance, due to the high refresh rate on the underlying simulation. CPU is the weakest aspect of the 1X.

These are from plain gameplay footage captured at E3 (HDR squished down to RGB), and I grabbed the gifs:

bQRDmJi.gif

EKR9pbw.gif

SVUlaCW.gif

It's no surprise to me that the 1X version of Origins is using basically "High" settings from PC.

I don't play racing games but this looks beautiful.

My body is ready. Day 1 console for me.

Pro won't be able to do what the Xbox One X can do due to hardware no matter what res.

5.5GB vs 9.5GB allow superior draw distance, textures, poly models, tesselation, etc

Pro will run base console settings while X will run pc high settings with 4k assets that memory will allow can't fit in 5.5gb of ran

Draw distance doesn't depend on ram much, but on CPU due to increased draw calls. Polygons also don't take that much ram, but depending on draw calls they can get heavy on CPU, or GPU at very high polycounts. Tesselation is compute/gpu dependent, not really ram.

So at least half of your list is wrong. As usual you don't really know what you're talking about, technically speaking.

PS4P also has more available ram than PS4. Not much, but some.

GRaider81

This obsession with 4k on consoles is nuts.

Surely these incremental machines (especially the X) could be hitting 60fps with medium/high settings but instead we have companies and warriors fighting over resolution wars for TVs the majority of people don't own.

KageMaru

Wait wait wait. Since when has 9.5GB been available to developers?

I too think games on the X will look nicer but there's no reason to mislead or exaggerate here.

Z O N E

Wait wait wait. Since when has 9.5GB been available to developers?

I too think games on the X will look nicer but there's no reason to mislead or exaggerate here.

It's actually 9GB, not sure why he said 9.5GB.

Not too long ago Microsoft came out and said that it freed up an extra 1GB of RAM for developers from 8GB to 9GB.

Yeah no way i expect these huge games to be 4K native on XboneX
But I thought that was the XBX's entire reason for existing with its particular specs and price. Native 4K as opposed to the Pro's checkerboard offering.

Not that I personally care about 4K, and would rather see benefits for 1080p, but if the XBX isn't about a baseline of native 4K and it doesn't have the CPU to push 60fps on existing XBO 30fps games, then its really just a somewhat better Pro.

Man, it's going to be a bloodbath come November DF comparisons. People screaming aboutabout checkerboarding are going to mysteriously disappear.

Space_nut

Draw distance doesn't depend on ram much, but on CPU due to increased draw calls. Polygons also don't take that much ram, but depending on draw calls they can get heavy on CPU, or GPU at very high polycounts. Tesselation is compute/gpu dependent, not really ram.

So at least half of your list is wrong. As usual you don't really know what you're talking about, technically speaking.

PS4P also has more available ram than PS4. Not much, but some.

No it's memory as more objects you render need more space to hold thier data. Clearly you don't know much

There's a reason why gpu now have 8+go of vram to run on high settings

kIZqnGV.png

They're businesses, they all lie when they can.
Most of the games I have installed on my PS4 are 60fps or have 60fps modes (and hell, same for the far fewer games I have on the Xbox too right now that I think about it). Thats a far cry from last gen, so I don't see those tweets as lies.

Journey

Banned
A bit disappointing if it runs at xbox one settings

Not really, this is coming from 900p on Xbox One and it's always been expected that 900p games like Ryse: Son of Rome will likely need to use checkerboard to hit 4k. Based on the analysis, it sounds really good, comparable to high end PC texture quality wise.

Top Bottom