• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Assassin creed origins Xbox one x tech first look.

watership

I'd be surprised if the XOX version isn't higher resolution.

Jez has a MS slant since we works for a windows blog, so lets all take that into consideration.

But.... given that the difference is much larger between XOX and PS4P than it was between XB1 and PS4...and that many devs have said they've got their XBX games running fast and stable at 4k with minimal effort -- well it's going to be a shit show.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I am not blinkered by anything, got 2 360's, moved to 2 Ps4 pro, might move to 2 x scorpio BUT I now want 60 FPS gaming but no PC. Next decent CPU console I will be all over like a rash.

Its Jaguar. I am sure xb1x will look slightly better when DF zoom in, there will be better IQ for sure, but we cant put our faces on the 2 50 inch 4 K Tv's to damn see it.

Thing is even with better CPUs I doubt you'll get your 4K 60fps games, even next gen. It is and will always be up to the developers. Of Forza can achieve it with their engine anyone could. But developers might have something else in mind when it comes to how they want to push the systems.

Crayon

If using that power is up to the developer, and even the biggest XBX launch titles aren't really showcasing that power, then we have to look towards future exclusives to set a new standard.

And that logic leads us right back to the lack of real exclusives on the platform.

We'll get to see gears and Forza Horizon in a year. Those might show it. I guess 18 months till they're actually out.

cakely

It's crazy to think that 1X versions of games are still five months away and people are getting upset over parity now.

vpance

Shit... That's more or less exactly what I meant with my posting....

Yes when the gap is too big you run the risk of making people feel bad about picking up the worse version, and stew up negative thoughts about the game in general. The publisher isn't there to play system warz. They just want to sell the most copies that they can across all platforms.

Plus devs are lazy and no one can spare the damn time anyways 😏

geordiemp

Thing is even with better CPUs I doubt you'll get your 4K 60fps games, even next gen. It is and will always be up to the developers. Of Forza can achieve it with their engine anyone could. But developers might have something else in mind when it comes to how they want to push the systems.

Nah, Ryzen will run games 2.5 x faster, we will get 60 FPS gaming next gen i believe as standard even with nice graphics.

I cant see jack shit difference between 1440p, 1800c and 2160p on my 4K 50 inch NOW, so devs got to do something to wow us, so it can only be frame rate IMO as we teally have hit a limit on resolution for living room play at normal viewing distances already.

Theorry

It's crazy to think that 1X versions of games are still five months away and people are getting upset over parity now.

Jup. Also people talking about how everything of the game is set in stone already. And talking about "they lied" to us. Over a game that is showed in alpha on a console not yet released.

cakely

Jup. Also people talking about how everything of the game is set in stone already. And talking about "they lied" to us. Over a game that is showed in alpha on a console not yet released.

I have no doubt that there will be multiplatform games with a sizable performance / and or resolution gap in favor of the 1X but, yeah, it's way too soon to see them yet.

Blastoise

Banned
We honestly need MS to moneyhat developers to provide xbonex support.

I wouldn't mind the favouritism. At least the hardware will be properly utilised.

If using that power is up to the developer, and even the biggest XBX launch titles aren't really showcasing that power, then we have to look towards future exclusives to set a new standard.

And that logic leads us right back to the lack of real exclusives on the platform.

kwN5Xll.png

Luckydog

I wouldn't mind the favouritism. At least the hardware will be properly utilised.

It would have to be a BIIIIIIG money hat. If the pro is getting limited support with that MASSIVE difference in userbase, hard to see a MS moneyhat being able to get extra support for the X1X.

Luckydog

Matt or another dev might be able to shed light on what difference that makes.

I dont write code personally, but have run many dev projects (not games). A lot of the "cleanup" and optimization of projects historically have come at the VERY end of the dev process before release. Game development may be different however.

Given that with day one patches, devs can be working nearly up to the last minute, there may still be a significant amount of work to do.

Calm down. We saw parity between OG PS4 and XBOX One multiplats all the time. But we also saw games performing better (incl. higher res, more stable framerates, etc.) on the 40% faster system, which is to be expected if the devs take the time to go the extra mile (either that or they coulnd't be bothered to optimize the one edition for the console with half the install base...)

The very same is probably going to happen again.

What you should not expect however is games looking "ridiculous better" on XBOX One X. There wasn't a single multiplat which looked "ridiculous better" on PS4, and you won't get one on XBOX One X, either, that's just a warrior's wet dream.

That said, it is odd indeed that Ubisoft didn't go the extra mile on a game which is marketed by MS. I mean, it shouldn't be THAT complex to make it look at least slighty better with all that extra juice.

DOWN

Banned
Indeed. This is just silly. The implementation is fantastic and genuinely looks native in most situations. The hate in regards to this type of rendering baffles me. It's a good way to get solid results with a reduced performance cost. MS never promised native 4K for every game - it's up to devs.

Some of the hate comes from Phil digging at Pro claiming their Scorpio wouldn't be like the other console with its manufactured 4k and would instead be true 4K... but right off the bat it's the same concept as Pro and the same manufactured 4K with only occasional actual 4K on either system.

Phil brought it up tbh

brawly

I always expected the main difference to be 4K vs. 4K*. Maybe better draw distance and AF. The little things.

Third party won't move heaven and earth for the smallest install base.

Matt

Matt or another dev might be able to shed light on what difference that makes.
Well, first of all the system was always coming in November.

Secondly, this is completely normal. You should have seen the state the XBO environment was in before launch.

It'll be improved, and it'll be improved more as time goes on.

Hawk269

What is even funnier is that the people that are complaining are comparing 6 TF to the 4.2TF in the PS4PRO....They are not taking into account that it also has 3.5gb of RAM for games and the memory bandwidth advantages over the PS4 as well. While I am sure that we can see games running at 4k on both, the advantages of having the extra memory and the bandwidth speed will allow for much sharper textures and other effects that will be present in some games.

I think the extra RAM is what is going to play into a lot of things in favor of the XBX version of games. Having a gaming rig that can use 4k textures really does make a difference and with MS announcing that 9gb of RAM is now usable for games, I think they realize opening up that additional 1gb that was previous 8gb was important to give devs what they need.

At the end of the day, it is going to be up to the devs on how they use the power of both consoles. Every game can be 60fps if a devs wants too, but many don't make that decision.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Checkerboard 4K is a much better use of resources than native.
It's just funny because of MS's characteristically dishonest PR.

Hawk269

Wow! That's really interesting. Another reason they gave themselves 5 more months.

I remember Jez saying that the XBX was not coming till "perhaps November" due to games on XBX need to be run through the October SDK. Perhaps that is when they are targeting to have an updated SDK and games would need to be run through it for cert.?

Space_nut

Checkerboard 4K is a much better use of resources than native.
It's just funny because of MS's characteristically dishonest PR.

How many times does Phil have to say it's up to devs to use the power as they see fit? I literally heard him say it 10 mins ago on the daily show. Like wtf lmao you guys are coming out of the woodwork like you lived under a rock for the past year

All first party are NATIVE 4K unlike sony first party

Hawk269

"How" isn't the real issue here, it's "if".

True that is a big "if" as you say. With the extra RAM, devs may choose not to use 4k textures because of the extra work involved, hopefully with the Dev kit MS has, making and optimizing games for XBX will be easier for them to use more of it's power.

I don't know why everyone is worried about true 4K. I own a Pro and Checkerboard works great on every game I've played. I can tell the difference between 1080p Persona 5 and 1440p Uncharted 4, but I can't see any difference between 1440p Uncharted 4, 1800p CBR Watch Dogs and 2160p CBR Horizon. I'm not one of those "30 fps and 60 fps look the same to me" kind of guy, I can tell the difference between fucking 58 fps and 60. I think 1440p is good enough if you use a great AA solution like Uncharted 4 does. Of course I'd like for everything to be 4K60, but what I got with the Pro works good enough for me. Also, Sony was really honest about what the console could do, so I'm ok with that.

How many times does Phil have to say it's up to devs to use the power as they see fit? I literally heard him say it 10 mins ago on the daily show. Like wtf lmao you guys are coming out of the woodwork like you lived under a rock for the past year

How many times did Phil talk about having "true 4K?"

Who looked at the AC footage and thought that it was native 4K?

Space_nut

How many times did Phil talk about having "true 4K?"

Who looked at the AC footage and thought that it was native 4K?

He is true Xbox One X is more of a 4k machine than Pro. Nothing else to be said

It is why all first party are native 4k because he can mandate it for them

Third parties are free to do whatever, as in why some are using native and others not.

Did you expect all games ever made to be native 4k? cause that was never the message unless you're small minded

Xbox One X > pro The End

As easily my most played game at E3 2017, this looks like it's running on a high end PC, and the performance is great.

I don't care how they're doing what they're doing. The fact it works is all I care about. I take that back to an extent, I care, because it's all interesting as hell. Beyond that though, I really don't think it negatively affects Microsoft and the way they presented the One X should a dev decide to not go for some marketing bullet point of Native 4K. And in the grand scheme of things it's likely to hit that mark more often than any other console is able if people truly care all that much about it.

At the end of the day, I see no compromise in this game's visual presentation.

ethomaz

Banned
He is true Xbox One X is more of a 4k machine than Pro. Nothing else to be said

It is why all first party are native 4k because he can mandate it for them

Third parties are free to do whatever, as in why some are using native and others not.

Did you expect all games ever made to be native 4k? cause that was never the message unless you're small minded

Xbox One X > pro The End
Just a correction... not all first party are 4k... it is a illusion to expect that.

Curufinwe

As easily my most played game at E3 2017, this looks like it's running on a high end PC, and the performance is great.

I don't care how they're doing what they're doing. The fact it works is all I care about. I take that back to an extent, I care, because it's all interesting as hell. Beyond that though, I really don't think it negatively affects Microsoft and the way they presented the One X should a dev decide to not go for some marketing bullet point of Native 4K. And in the grand scheme of things it's likely to hit that mark more often than any other console is able if people truly care all that much about it.

At the end of the day, I see no compromise in this game's visual presentation.

Just compromise in MS not waiting till Zen was ready to launch a new console.

ethomaz

Banned
Where is this documented? Is there an analysis on this happening?

And 60fps mode is MP no other modes
Mike Rayner said in the interview.

"With that being our focus, we’re running at 4K 30FPS for Campaign/Horde and 4K 60FPS for Versus with adaptive scaling to ensure a rock-solid frame rate that fans expect from our head to head multiplayer."

That why the thread was misinforming.

Who are "we"? :) As a Pro user who recently decided not to get Xbox X because of the price I will be happy with decent "4K" console support. If Xbox X can be better that's OK with me but I don't want to have MS pay developers so they prioritized Xbox version over Pro. That would be shitty.

Space_nut

Mike Rayner said in the interview.

"With that being our focus, we’re running at 4K 30FPS for Campaign/Horde and 4K 60FPS for Versus with adaptive scaling to ensure a rock-solid frame rate that fans expect from our head to head multiplayer."

That why the thread was misinforming.

So campaign/horde is native 4k at all times. For MP it can scale but how do we know if it drops at all? All of the profiling MS did with all the engines and customized the chip to handle the bottlenecks could very well mean where on X1s drops won't drop on the Xbox One X

Matt

So campaign/horde is native 4k at all times. For MP it can scale but how do we know if it drops at all? All of the profiling MS did with all the engines and customized the chip to handle the bottlenecks could very well mean where on X1s drops won't drop on the Xbox One X
...are you actually suggesting that Rayner is lying to make his game sound worse than it is?

Curufinwe

Jez has a MS slant since we works for a windows blog, so lets all take that into consideration.

But.... given that the difference is much larger between XOX and PS4P than it was between XB1 and PS4...and that many devs have said they've got their XBX games running fast and stable at 4k with minimal effort -- well it's going to be a shit show.

Proportionally, the teraflop difference is about the same.

ethomaz

Banned
Are you for real?

Dev said the game drops resolution in 60fps mp and you just say it won't drop? lol

1080p XB1 will run 4k XB1X
Sub-1080p XB1 will run sub-4k XB1X

If you believe in the 4k native dream then you are only setting you for disappointment.

Even Halo 5 won't run at native 4k because it goes down to close 720p on XB1.

Space_nut

...are you actually suggesting that Rayner is lying to make his game sound worse than it is?

Just because he said adaptive scaling doesn't mean it has to drop 4k. It's just a feature that is used if there is any drop it would keep fps locked but whose to say if it'll drop at all. I'm sure when DF checks it out they can play a whole MP game match with no drop in res. At worst it'll be 99% all time locked and a rare instance if found dropping

ethomaz

Banned
Just because he said adaptive scaling doesn't mean it has to drop 4k. It's just a feature that is used if there is any drop it would keep fps locked but whose to say if it'll drop at all. I'm sure when DF checks it out they can play a whole MP game match with no drop in res. At worst it'll be 99% all time locked and a rare instance if found dropping
Delusions.

Xbox One X will not delivery what you wish.

Matt

Are you for real?

If that's the case, why doesn't SP run at an adaptive res if it's "just in case"?

You have no logical basis for your statements, and gut feelings are not facts.

Head.spawn

Someone sounded the flak alarm and pointed it at him for slighting the Sony name.

Top Bottom