• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Face-Off - Watch_Dogs

geordiemp

Your 'just having a bit of fun' is trolling. You like trolling. That is not what GAF needs, in my opinion. There's ways to enjoy yourself that don't involve aggravating others. You calling the Xbox 'a design failure' - I mean, that's not just 'having a bit of fun'. That is intentionally trying to act smug about the PS4 knowing it'll annoy Xbox owners. The Xbox is less powerful than the PS4, but its not a design failure. The amount of people here who actually buy into any 'secret sauce' stuff is a tiny, tiny minority. Most people are quite aware of the power differences and have come to accept that, but it seems people like you are becoming troubled by this trend, so you need to fan the flames.

I have 2 xbox 360's friend, and was gutted they did not use proper VRAM and a decent GPU in the xb1. Could not believe the (and yes I believe this) design stupidity as a gamer. I am annoyed at Microsoft, it has not lowered yet. I am not even close to feeling smug.

You have 1080p TV,s, multiplat game performance is a key factor in a gaming console, so GPU needs to be capable of doing it for the big AAA 3D action games.

Heck, I do design electronics but not PC stuff, but a school kid could of worked out for comfortable 1080p you need at least a 7850 or equivalent with at least 2 GB or GDDR 5 with a bit of google search for 10 minutes.

Sorry, I cant still get my head around it, don't think I ever will. Ps4 just about gets there for whats needed n 2014, not quite but It will do. Both consoles need a boost as WD next gen looks bad, period

Anyway, that's my story. I still play on 360 daily. I think if Phil had been in charge Xb1 would not be the design it is today. That's my opinion.

We bought 2 Ps4's for the house, it was not an easy decision as I have to pay PSN+ (just once for 2 consoles) and 2 lots of Live fees at the moment. If XB1 had been a decent design for gaming I would of had 2.

And being UK based, the NFL TV TV / snap and USA centric apps and features (we have PAL 50 Hz Broadcast Tv for goodness sake) American bias, with digital and DRM of E3 made a little angry putting it as best I can.. and £ 425 (that's £ 950 for 2 !) - I got 2 x Ps4 for £ 650 Gamestop uk

RayMaker

Banned
Jeez. It's really tough to him to not be so defensive with the console microsoft. With the same difference on ps3 would been a blood bath. I mean, I'm not trying to say it's a terrible job, but this man seem married to the microsoft console, he is almost scarried to offense it in some way to say difference are relevant but not important.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fallout-3-triple-format-face-off-article

Fallout 3 looked way worse on the PS3, but leadbetter seemed quite supportive of the PS3 version?

oneils

Again, DX12 + better tools + 10% more power from dropping Kinect = more powerful than PS4. I mean PS4 is only like 40% more powerful if that, but once DX12 is used that drops to like 20% then the 10% from dropping kinect and then better tools = equal or more powerful. I'd imagine the better tools would make it more powerful TBH.

That's not even including the power of the cloud. I'm willing to bet Assassin's Creed Unity will run better on Xbox One than PS4 and PC.

Fucking genius. ;)

oneils

Watched a few of the videos in the face off.

Ok, in my opinion, regardless of the platform (PC, PS4, XB1) this game looks fantastic.

I watched some high quality streams on gamersyde last night and was really impressed. Hopefully some of the performance issues on pc are resolved soon.

omonimo

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fallout-3-triple-format-face-off-article

Fallout 3 looked way worse on the PS3, but leadbetter seemed quite supportive of the PS3 version?
I'm not want change the other convinctions. I just remember tons of subtle messages of Leadbetter in every face off where seem he like to convice the reader how better was the 360 hardware, what a mess was ps3, every time has found the differences. Keep in mind, even in the worst case, some graphic features in the multiplat on ps3 showed something of better, for example the shadow filter, texture filter, triple buffering, etc etc but rarely were mentioned & when happened, I noticed a sort of downplay. My personal impression, of course.
Now, I see the same person, enthusiast for a face off because a clear inferior console provide a multiplat close of a more powerful console (in comparison) although it cost the same for the customer, if not more considering the specs.
O_O
It's not normal see such things from a tech guy. Should be more interested to the performance of the more powerful console compared to the pc, not how ended for the weakest. End of the OT.

Gestault

I have 2 xbox 360's friend, and was gutted they did not use proper VRAM and a decent GPU in the xb1. Could not believe the (and yes I believe this) design stupidity as a gamer. I am annoyed at Microsoft, it has not lowered yet. I am not even close to feeling smug.

You have 1080p TV,s, multiplat game performance is a key factor in a gaming console, so GPU needs to be capable of doing it for the big AAA 3D action games.

Heck, I do design electronics but not PC stuff, but a school kid could of worked out for comfortable 1080p you need at least a 7850 or equivalent with at least 2 GB or GDDR 5 with a bit of google search for 10 minutes.

Sorry, I cant still get my head around it, don't think I ever will. Ps4 just about gets there for whats needed n 2014, not quite but It will do. Both consoles need a boost as WD next gen looks bad, period

Anyway, that's my story. I still play on 360 daily. I think if Phil had been in charge Xb1 would not be the design it is today. That's my opinion.

We bought 2 Ps4's for the house, it was not an easy decision as I have to pay PSN+ (just once for 2 consoles) and 2 lots of Live fees at the moment. If XB1 had been a decent design for gaming I would of had 2.

And being UK based, the NFL TV TV / snap and USA centric apps and features (we have PAL 50 Hz Broadcast Tv for goodness sake) American bias, with digital and DRM of E3 made a little angry putting it as best I can.. and £ 425 (that's £ 950 for 2 !) - I got 2 x Ps4 for £ 650 Gamestop uk

I'm unclear what owning particular pieces of hardware has to do with your behavior in a discussion setting. Communicating your concerns isn't what you had been doing in the past, from a quick look at a few posts.

Gestault

I apologise for insulting Dx12 and Xb1. .

Maybe you should read this thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828370

Don't know why I am getting all the heat for DX12 downplay.

My comment had nothing to do with any of that. I'm calling out the difference between explaining how you feel about something from peppering existing discussions with pointlessly vague criticisms and justifying them afterward by saying you own other systems of the same brand.

Call me simple or what not, but I really can't see a significant difference between the X1 and PS4 versions. The PC version looks noticeably better to me though.

I think the big conclusion from DF on Watch_Dogs is that the X1 version runs pretty damn close to the PS4 version.

Hawk269

So your posting your distain of the Xbox One design in a thread where DF is talking about Watch Dogs. You go so far to complain that it would not be hard for MS to have made a console that would do 1080p in 3rd party games, but you are in a thread where even the PS4 version of a 3rd party game is not 1080p???

Thrakier

Your 'just having a bit of fun' is trolling. You like trolling. That is not what GAF needs, in my opinion. There's ways to enjoy yourself that don't involve aggravating others. You calling the Xbox 'a design failure' - I mean, that's not just 'having a bit of fun'. That is intentionally trying to act smug about the PS4 knowing it'll annoy Xbox owners. The Xbox is less powerful than the PS4, but its not a design failure. The amount of people here who actually buy into any 'secret sauce' stuff is a tiny, tiny minority. Most people are quite aware of the power differences and have come to accept that, but it seems people like you are becoming troubled by this trend, so you need to fan the flames.

They released at the same time, for 100$ more and with aprox. 40% less power and a clear bottleneck which was pointed out as such on the day the specs were revelaed.

So far, every MP game has been clearly inferior on the XB1.

Sorry, if that isn't a "design failure" I don't know what is. It's all fine to like the XB1 becuase of games or Kinect or just because it's a Microsoft product. But if you believe it's not a design failure and MS wouldn't make it any different if they had the chance...you are living in a world of dreams, sorry.

krioto

Get over yourself - what are we white-knighting xbone owners now?

Armaros

Get over yourself - what are we white-knighting xbone owners now?

And GAF wonders why outsiders have an image of Sony-GAF, when posters basicly acknowledge they only post in any threads related to either console looking to troll one side constantly with no regard to the actual topic on hand.

prwxv3

And GAF wonders why outsiders have an image of Sony-GAF, when posters basicly acknowledge they only post in any threads related to either console looking to troll one side constantly with no regard to the actual topic on hand.

Oh man this again

Gestault

I don't like when a thread about a particular game becomes a discussion about platform wars, and even more when the context of that off-topic discussion becomes about which bias NeoGAF theoretically has.

So your posting your distain of the Xbox One design in a thread where DF is talking about Watch Dogs. You go so far to complain that it would not be hard for MS to have made a console that would do 1080p in 3rd party games, but you are in a thread where even the PS4 version of a 3rd party game is not 1080p???
You're talking to a man who said this about Red Dead Redemption: -

geordiemp said:
To all the fanboys out there, if a multiplat game is technical basis graphically say a 7 on 360 and a 5 on Ps3, so what ?
Owning a 360 doesn't preclude a person from being a fanboy with double-standards.

Tabular

Banned
Myself and a few others were correct then.

xaogfb.gif

The PS4 and X1 build are darn near identical there.

The aliasing is near identical...heck even their PC example has a ton of it, but that can be fixed.

Actually the PS4 does look a bit smoother and crisper in those shots. But it's not as drastic as some others where shadows wreck havoc on quality.

Looks like one should be happy with either console build. I keep hesitating on picking up a physical console version or the cheaper PC copy...ugh...

Physical Disc (Console) has the advantage of resale value.

From what I read that's mostly when one is pushing for locked 60 (vs 30 on the consoles). It's also why I kind of want to pick up a sale-able/rent-able console version....as the PC version will probably have all kinds of sales.

Digital foundry had to lock it at 30 fps for absolute top end rigs. I'd call that a problem.

iMax

Didn't Xbox One allow developers to render HUD and other interface elements at full 1080p while rendering the game itself at lower resolutions (and merging both "layers" after game upscaling took place)? This was one of the very first features leaked about the console before its launch, maybe it wasn't right? Or maybe Ubisoft isn't using it.

It does. Why aren't developers using this feature?

Top Bottom