• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Face-Off - Watch_Dogs

cakely

Why does the scale of height suddenly change in that picture? it goes up in 3 inch increments,
then suddenly jumps from 5'9 to 6'2. its almost as though they thought there were only 10 inches to that particular foot.

I love catches like this. :)

There are a staggering amount of art assets, and clearly this one slipped though QA. If it had just flashed by me in the game, I never would have noticed this but when it's sitting in a screenshot it's hilarious.

omonimo

Banned
but feels a little more polished and solid on the Sony platform
Jeez. It's really tough to him to not be so defensive with the console microsoft. With the same difference on ps3 would been a blood bath. I mean, I'm not trying to say it's a terrible job, but this man seem married to the microsoft console, he is almost scarried to offense it in some way to say difference are relevant but not important.

Jeez. It's really tough to him to not be so defensive with the console microsoft. With the same difference on ps3 would been a blood bath. I mean, I'm not trying to say it's a terrible job, but this man seem married to the microsoft console, he is almost scarried to offense it in some way to say difference are relevant but not important.

This is embarrassing.

this looks like the exact same screenshot to me
I've seen many PS4 vs XBONE comparison posts, and in 7/10 the XBONE pics look very different.. like, more colorful. The PS4 ones look like there's a light filter on them.
Wut? There is no dGPU man. But DX12 + better tools + kinect being dropped is real. What's with people trying to downplay the inevitable? This is good for all gamers man. If XBO is more powerful then that means developers have an easier time porting games to PC thanks to DX12. I don't think XBO being more powerful than PS4 is going to be a big deal in the end. We might see things like 1080p on XBO and 900p on PS4. But we're like a year away from that becoming the norm. Surely that's better than developers being lazy like with Watch_Dogs right? They're probably not even using tiled resources which gives XBO a big boost in performance.

Either way, I can't wait till developers unlock the full potential of these consoles, just imagine all games looking like Ryse as the baseline! =O

Come on guys....really?

Anyways, we're getting off topic. I think the differences between the two aren't as big as other games. Hopefully they patch the AO in the XBO version, must be broken.

Wait.. you're being serious about this, ehh?

Why does the scale of height suddenly change in that picture? it goes up in 3 inch increments,
then suddenly jumps from 5'9 to 6'2. its almost as though they thought there were only 10 inches to that particular foot.

lol, this is embarrassing. Looks like a guy used to the metric system was programming for the english system.

omonimo

Banned
This is embarrassing.
It's more embarrassing try to downplay every difference because this time it's the other console which has the worst multiplat. Differences are important, whatever he said. If people find those important or less, it's another matter.

Z3M0G

16xAF on PC

watch_dogs2014-05-280r8s1t.jpg

Can someone post shot of this on PS4??

xXBaconXx

Banned

That's probably because the developers are canadian, and thus use the metric system. In the metric system there are 10 centimeters to a decimeter, and 10 decimeters to a meter, and so forth.
In other words it actually makes sense. I mean, really, it makes no sense to have 11 of one unit in another unit. It's not even an even number.
Hope I didn't start a war or something now

shinnn

It's more embarrassing try to downplay every difference because this time it's the other console which has the worst multiplat. Differences are important, whatever he said. If people find those important or less, it's another matter.
Strange that all complaints about him is always coming from people with Sony bias.

Look at the GTA IV face-off, and he uses the same behavior in favor of the PS3

GTA IV PS3 has lower resolution, worse framerate, no AA.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grand-theft-auto-iv-ps3-vs-xbox-360-special-article?page=4

PS3 GTA IV looks absolutely fantastic, and even factoring in zero anti-aliasing support and a lower resolution, in many scenarios it looks as good as the 360 version, if not better.

Regarding the game not being optimized well on PS3

On the one hand, it's a touch disappointing that Rockstar's USD 100 million budget couldn't extend to optimising the experience to match Xbox 360,

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

lmaoooooo

Gestault

Your memory of reactions to differences on many multi-platforms from previous gen may be the source of your problem. There were a meaningful number of games that were seriously compromised in the PS3 version, and those were the games that were criticized by reasonable people (most of whom were the PS3 owners themselves). The differences here are visible in side-by-side comparisons, but not even close to the same league as the stand-outs from last time around. I think you're off-base.

Edit: Misread the flow of conversation. I see what you were reacting to in the wider conversation.

omonimo

Banned
Strange that all complaints about him is always coming from people with Sony bias.

Look at the GTA IV face-off, and he uses the same behavior in favor of the PS3

GTA IV PS3 has lower resolution, worse framerate, no AA.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grand-theft-auto-iv-ps3-vs-xbox-360-special-article?page=4

Regarding the game not being optimized well on PS3

Yeah, you have found a rare face off where he tried to stay "balanced" (forgive the word, it's not intentional). But at the time of the ps3, I remember a complete different Leadbetter. I'm just saying the whole face off seems a celebration of the xbone version because it's really close to the ps4, uh. It's really... weird. Well, not knowing him.

Gestault

Yeah, you have found a rare face off where he tried to stay "balanced" (forgive the word, it's not intentional). But at the time of the ps3, I remember a complete different Leadbetter. I'm just saying the whole face off seems a celebration of the xbone version because it's really close to the ps4, uh. It's really... weird. Well, not knowing him.

Clear evidence directly contradicting your premise seems like it should garner a different reaction than this.

jett

D-Member
Honestly I think a PS4 vs. PS360 comparison would be more intriguing.

Clearly done by superior metric-using beings.

Gestault

Hahah.... no, but anything to lessen the gap helps.

If this is the difference that we are to expect from ports going forward, then there will a lot less foaming of the mouth from the usual suspects.

There are certain perks to having similar underlying architecture between the major platforms, including PC.

So you're basically saying that the constant XBO bashing is just revenge for what happened last gen? o_O

The difference here is definitely negligible. A difference nonetheless of course, and this is a DF comparison, so anyone offended needs to GTFO, but on the other hand, blowing this up to being more important than reality and toot your horn at your Xbox mates every chance you get in the form of getting back at them, is also dumb.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
While I would have liked 1080p, game definitely looks soft and some of the highlights get pretty jaggy, I'm happy with the game's performance on PS4. It's nice playing open world games that don't have an abysmal framerate.

dr_rus

Looks great.

Could you tell us how much your VRAM increased with this?
I've got a 2GB card, and it uses around 1940 MB with high settings at 1080p, it may well go over that with 16xAF, and I'd get a big performance loss if it goes overbudget.
Enabling AF has no effect on VRAM usage, only on texture fetches speed which is highly cached in today's GPUs. Expect around 10-15 percent of performance drop with 16x AF.

parabolee

Enabling AF has no effect on VRAM usage, only on texture fetches speed which is highly cached in today's GPUs. Expect around 10-15 percent of performance drop with 16x AF.

My understanding was that it is a lot less than that! A few frames per second as most I believe.

Frolow

Banned

The latter of those is pretty minute in my opinion, I can hardly tell the difference.

Again, DX12 + better tools + 10% more power from dropping Kinect = more powerful than PS4. I mean PS4 is only like 40% more powerful if that, but once DX12 is used that drops to like 20% then the 10% from dropping kinect and then better tools = equal or more powerful. I'd imagine the better tools would make it more powerful TBH.

That's not even including the power of the cloud. I'm willing to bet Assassin's Creed Unity will run better on Xbox One than PS4 and PC.

It's hard to tell what's sarcasm these days.

My understanding was that it is a lot less than that! A few frames per second as most I believe.

Modern GPUs have like 2-3% performance penalty from 16x AF assuming you don't run out of VRAM. But the big VRAM eater is MSAA anyways, one of the big advantage of shader based AA like FXAA is no giant VRAM usage.

Superflat

That gif illustrates the difference really clearly.

The biggest diff between PS4 and XBO being that nearly all the soft shadows are missing in XBO, making everything seem more flat, and like they're floating.

Look at Aiden leaning against the counter to see the occlusion effect, or lack thereof.

Not a huge difference, but I'd say significant.

EvB

That gif illustrates the difference really clearly.

The biggest diff between PS4 and XBO being that nearly all the soft shadows are missing in XBO, making everything seem more flat, and like they're floating.

Look at Aiden leaning against the counter to see the occlusion effect, or lack thereof.

Not a huge difference, but I'd say significant.

I think the very fact you have to point it out or highlight it says otherwise.

Superflat

I think the very fact you have to point it out or highlight it says otherwise.

Subjective depending on the person don't you think? It was easy for me to see, but I don't expect everyone else to pick it out. It's hard for me to see other differences that others can immediately see as well, but it doesn't make it any less significant.

RoKKeR

Both look pretty similar, and the differences are fairly minimal. I think it looks pretty solid on my XBO but I do agree with their term "wobbly". There are just few moments/areas that look a bit off or pull you out of the game, but thankfully this doesn't happen too often.

revimack

Banned
I'm disappointed that Leadbetter didn't do an analysis of the 360/PS3 versions. The XB1/PC/PS4 story was already pretty well covered by DF.

Rising_Hei

Again, DX12 + better tools + 10% more power from dropping Kinect = more powerful than PS4. I mean PS4 is only like 40% more powerful if that, but once DX12 is used that drops to like 20% then the 10% from dropping kinect and then better tools = equal or more powerful. I'd imagine the better tools would make it more powerful TBH.

That's not even including the power of the cloud. I'm willing to bet Assassin's Creed Unity will run better on Xbox One than PS4 and PC.

10/10

Good job bro

d0nnie

Banned
...the impression you get is of a game that fundamentally offers the same package but feels a little more polished and solid on the Sony platform...

Some HUD elements actually appear to be anti-aliased as part of the console post-process, so they can look a touch rougher on Xbox One, but this isn't really a massive issue.

However, the strength of the effect is significantly lowered on the Microsoft console, reducing the impact of the effect somewhat.

Xbox One operates on much the same level - the difference being occasionally more noticeable screen-tear that occurs a little more frequently. Unlike the PS4 version, tearing can also infiltrate cut-scenes and general driving too, though it is rare.

Shadows are reworked on console - rougher around the edges on PS4 compared to PC, and with a lower resolution on Xbox One - but the differences are only really noticeable at short range, most especially during cut-scenes.

The overall effect is of a title that has a reassuring level of solidity on PS4, and while still fine overall, just feels a little more wobbly on the Microsoft console.

Console-wise, we feel confident in recommending both Xbox One and PS4 versions, but go for the latter if you have your choice of consoles: it's effectively an additional sheen of polish at no extra cost.

Interesting read.

Although, am I the only one having an issue with the author's (Richard Leadbetter) wording at times? He sounds to me like an Xbox apologist....

Caayn

Got a general direction of where that place is? Curious to check it myself on console.
Looks like the south part of the map. If you go via the sea at the right side of the map and follow the river along side of the map border you should come across it.

Gator86

I guess PS3/360 foundrys are over? A lot of people still are without the newer consoles. I found out the PS3 version is the worst one, so I'll be skipping that.

I think the rationale, however flawed, might be that the people who care about these details are also the same people likely to go out and get one of the newer consoles. That and last gen console comparisons probably grab fewer clicks now.

RoKKeR

Interesting read.

Although, am I the only one having an issue with the author's (Richard Leadbetter) wording at times? He sounds to me like an Xbox apologist....

Sheesh. Those are the best words used to describe minimal or small differences, which is accurate based on the analysis. What's the issue here?

arhra

Interesting read.

Or, y'know, maybe, juuust maybe, the differences really are pretty fucking minor, and his wording is intended to convey that fact?

d0nnie

Banned
Sheesh. Those are the best words used to describe minimal or small differences, which is accurate based on the analysis. What's the issue here?

Not sure....that's why I asked...it just sounds like he's trying to overemphasize his point.

Naminator

Banned

I think the issue is that he didn't praise Cerny enough and didn't mention that the PS4 already won the generation.

Top Bottom