• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Face-Off - Watch_Dogs

Again, DX12 + better tools + 10% more power from dropping Kinect = more powerful than PS4. I mean PS4 is only like 40% more powerful if that, but once DX12 is used that drops to like 20% then the 10% from dropping kinect and then better tools = equal or more powerful. I'd imagine the better tools would make it more powerful TBH.

That's not even including the power of the cloud. I'm willing to bet Assassin's Creed Unity will run better on Xbox One than PS4 and PC.
Wow. I'm something of an xbox fan but even I couldn't manage something this ... optimistic! :)

This shot shows a slight difference in color between the versions.
Why is that?
We see that in a lot of comparisons.
Xbox scaler black crush (incorrect gamma)
GammaChart-Medium.png

That's actually a pretty damn good-looking X1 version considering the power gap and the much bigger differences we've seen in other games. A lot of that is surely because the PS4 is at 900p instead of 1080p, but I give Ubi massive credit where credit is due. There's no questioning the PS4's superior hardware but the difference isn't anything like an "OMG I need to buy a PS4 to play this game [instead of an X1]!" like Sony was probably hoping for.

At least a tiny bit optimism that we can get 1080/30 on both consoles in two years with the next release. Asking/hoping for 60fps would be insane at this point.

You have captured the spirit of misterxmedia and are to be commended. I cry every time I read this
Tears? Better than the blood I shed yesterday.
Since I felt like stabbing myself in the eyes with sporks when I woke up this morning (as I hadn't in quite some time) I figured I'd see what a misterxsomeone had to say about this.
Wow. I'm something of an xbox fan but even I couldn't manage something this ... optimistic! :)
That's the spirit!

EvB

Interesting read.

Although, am I the only one having an issue with the author's (Richard Leadbetter) wording at times? He sounds to me like an Xbox apologist....

go back and read some old 360/PS3 comparisons, the language has always been the same, even when it was aimed at the Ps3 version.

Almost every article ended with a vague and unbiased signoff, even if one version was better. : "360 version is technically better, but if you like the Dual Shock 3 better, then that is the version for you"

Can't do right for doing wrong.

Piggus

Again, DX12 + better tools + 10% more power from dropping Kinect = more powerful than PS4. I mean PS4 is only like 40% more powerful if that, but once DX12 is used that drops to like 20% then the 10% from dropping kinect and then better tools = equal or more powerful. I'd imagine the better tools would make it more powerful TBH.

That's not even including the power of the cloud. I'm willing to bet Assassin's Creed Unity will run better on Xbox One than PS4 and PC.

It's really funny seeing people who have no technical knowledge whatsoever slurp up anything Microsoft tells them and then coming to a ridiculous, nonsensical conclusion.

Listen bud, take it from people who actually know things about computer hardware. The Xbox One is not more powerful than the PS4 and it NEVER will be. No amount of bullshit PR spin will make what's essentially a Radeon 7770 more powerful than the equivalent of a 7850. Nothing. So do yourself a favor and actually learn how computer hardware works.

Gestault

Interesting read.

Although, am I the only one having an issue with the author's (Richard Leadbetter) wording at times? He sounds to me like an Xbox apologist....

Showing that someone has consistently described differences between two things doesn't invalidate those observations.

It's really funny seeing people who have no technical knowledge whatsoever slurp up anything Microsoft tells them and then coming to a ridiculous, nonsensical conclusion.

Listen bud, take it from people who actually know things about computer hardware. The Xbox One is not more powerful than the PS4 and it NEVER will be. No amount of bullshit PR spin will make what's essentially a Radeon 7770 more powerful than the equivalent of a 7850. Nothing. So do yourself a favor and actually learn how computer hardware works.

Hey bro, I'm in IT. I know what I'm talking about.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

It also matters how efficiently you utilise the hardware no?

cakely

its_a_trap.gif

Demon Ice

Banned

You almost had me going

Snagged the PS4 version off PSN the other night, not impressed with the graphics at all. Looks decent during the night time and in the rain but looks horrid during the day. Flat lighting and aggressive pop in while driving. Disappointing. Booting the game up directly after playing Infamous SS is pretty funny.

This likely won't happen because developers have to take into account that even though the Kinect is now "optional", the millions of people who bought launch consoles are not going to remove it/disable it just because it's not a standard feature anymore.

So, technically, that 10% will be up to the individual developers to decide if they want to add a "Kinect-less 'BOOST' mode" to their games. But that forces XB1 owners to have to decide between using a product they paid an extra $100 for -OR- recommended settings for games. That's not a decision most developers want to force XB1 customers to make, so I expect that 10% to remain untapped for most games.

EDIT - wait. Did we just get trolled? Damn it. I need more coffee.

parabolee

thanks, managed to find it, but not before a scumbag invader clipped me going a hundred miles an hour in the middle of nowhere.

Good work. WOW. These screens make it look like there is a MUCH bigger difference in the PC version over the PS4 than the DF screens did.

Can't just be the AF either. Maybe compression on the PS4 screenshot?

I wasn't far off! It's a bit better than I expected actually, it does appear to have some filtering going on - maybe the equivalent to 2x or 4x AF on PC?

I think the main reason why there's a more substantial difference than that is down to the time of day - Dennis' shot is where the sun is much lower, so you get more depth to the normal map on the ground texture. The PS4 shot is with the sun more directly overhead, so the texture is 'lit' in a very flat way.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Good work. WOW. These screens make it look like there is a MUCH bigger difference in the PC version over the PS4 than the DF screens did.

There is compression in screens take on the PS4 unless you use a capture card. That said, the grass draw distance seems to be significantly lower in the PS4 image and the lack of AF makes a massive difference.

dr_rus

PS4 is 1600x900 scaled up to 1080p while PC is 1080p native (in this comparision). Yeah, the difference between native and non-native is huge.

There is compression in screens take on the PS4 unless you use a capture card. That said, the grass draw distance seems to be significantly lower in the PS4 image and the lack of AF makes a massive difference.

There clearly is some degree of AF on PS4 shot - I'd say 4x for the stones texture. We can't say that it's completely lacking.

PS4 is 1600x900 scaled up to 1080p while PC is 1080p native (in this comparision). Yeah, the difference between native and non-native is huge.

There clearly is some degree of AF on PS4 shot - I'd say 4x for the stones texture. We can't say that it's completely lacking.

Not just native 1080p, Dennis is downsampling pretty heavily.

Piggus

Some people seem to think that Microsoft is the only one capable of providing tools that allow for efficient usage of the hardware. This is both wrong and hilarious considering the apparent poor state the tools were in around and before launch.

I'm pretty sure that post was meant to be sarcastic.

EDIT: Did I ruin the fun?

You almost had me going

Snagged the PS4 version off PSN the other night, not impressed with the graphics at all. Looks decent during the night time and in the rain but looks horrid during the day. Flat lighting and aggressive pop in while driving. Disappointing. Booting the game up directly after playing Infamous SS is pretty funny.

Had the exact same experience and was about to post an identical impression...

Ya, cloud computing will definitely improve X1's graphical capabilities, but it would require players to stay connected to the internet for them to play the game supporting it. It's already been proven to the public that it does work like a charm. We'll see how it turns out. I'm actually quite excited.

jett

D-Member

Digital Foundry almost never shows the PC version in the best light possible. For years they only compared PC ports to the console versions at 720p.

MikahR

Banned

It's also really funny seeing people who feel they need to be right about everything fall for an obviously sarcastic and playful post, and then make a fool out of themselves trying to show off their assumed superiority.

Ya, cloud computing will definitely improve X1's graphical capabilities, but it would require players to stay connected to the internet for them to play the game supporting it. It's already been proven to the public that it does work like a charm. We'll see how it turns out. I'm actually quite excited.
Did real humans post these things?

No way anyone thinks these things without being paid to.

nib95

Banned

Are you still on this dude? Did the last year of supposed secret sauces and tales of Microsoft won't give up such a hardware difference posts not satisfy your imagination?

Whatever optimisations could be made with the Xbox One, optimisations will also be made with the PS4. In fact, there's far more headway on the PS4 due to its substantial memory bandwidth and compute advantages.

Wow. PS4 is not too far away from PC but the Xbox version just looks bad, the toned down AO and bad IQ is really hurting it.

Hmm, I don't know, looks pretty close to me, the closest of any recent comparisons. They did a pretty good job with the Xbone version. Unless placed side by side, it will be really hard to notice that you're missing out on anything since the core elements that make the "Watch Dogs experience" both graphically and gameplay wise, seem to be intact.

Great job devs.

MikahR

Banned
Hmm, I don't know, looks pretty close to me, the closest of any recent comparisons. They did a pretty good job with the Xbone version. Unless placed side by side, it will be really hard to notice that you're missing out on anything since the core elements that make the "Watch Dogs experience" both graphically and gameplay wise, seem to be intact.

Great job devs.

Personally, I think Wolfenstein comes closer to console parity, but Watch Dogs does come fairly close as well.

Great job devs.

I assume you are playing it on Xbone so good to hear that you like it. I am glad to have it on PC and it looks amazing. I think I could stomach the PS4 version but playing it on One with this IQ, missing effects and more tearing... Just no.

Alex

thanks, managed to find it, but not before a scumbag invader clipped me going a hundred miles an hour in the middle of nowhere.

Closer time comparison
Bonus afternoon

PS4 version looks worse than I would have figured, that resolution dip really sucks. Considering the debacle they're having with VRAM on PC though it's not surprising me they can't get it to run well on consoles, I suppose.

Based on some initial things I read, I thought Ubi Soft may have bucked the trend but I guess I should have known better.

Will be curious to see how patches improve things all around, I know they're prepping some technical patch for PC and they did wind up raising the resolution on ACIV for PS4, I think?

omonimo

Banned
10293620_896604097032262_9118174626047854675_o.jpg

watch_dogs2014-05-280r8s1t.jpg

I tried to post a similar ground in the game with a personal capture on my ps4. It seems better to the previous shot in the comparison. Jeez the previous picture it's terribly brighter & blurried.

Piggus

It's also really funny seeing people who feel they need to be right about everything fall for an obviously sarcastic and playful post, and then make a fool out of themselves trying to show off their assumed superiority.

Lol get over it. A lot of people actually think like that so it's hard to know who's sarcastic and who isn't. That's the sad state of things as a result of Microsoft and their buzzwords.

DX12 + Better tools + 10% from dropping kinect = more powerful than PS4.

Lol I like it.

And, now, back to reality...damn this game is really underwhelming...bordering on unimpressive. A lot of the screen shots look last gen. And from reviews I've read I'm not really excited about picking this up until it hits $20 territory. And to think it was my most anticipated title prior to the next gen launch. Oh well, I'll get it eventually on the cheap.

Did real humans post these things?

No way anyone thinks these things without being paid to.

Stupid is as stupid does. For example, 25% of the US population still believes Iraq / Saddam Hussein had something to do with 911. Low information people are able to convince themselves of just about anything, especially if it reinforces an inner bias or ideology.

geordiemp

Very funny satirical post. Need to get more deluded mr X stuff in there, dual GPU, stacked GPU, stacked ESRAM, dual drivers, stereo drivers, Cloud powa, Hana 2, DX12, 10 % Kinect...what have I missed.

It really gives me a laugh, we need it, as it gets up the hopes of the 'not so smart', to be dashed at the next Digital Foundry face off and these treads. It does not get old, ever and hope it continues for as long as possible.

It would be no fun if everyone just excepted that XB1 is a design failure.

Seanspeed

Banned
Very funny satirical post. Need to get more deluded mr X stuff in there, dual GPU, stacked GPU, stacked ESRAM, dual drivers, stereo drivers, Cloud powa, Hana 2, DX12, 10 % Kinect...what have I missed.

It really gives me a laugh, we need it, as it gets up the hopes of the 'not so smart', to be dashed at the next Digital Foundry face off and these treads. It does not get old, ever and hope it continues for as long as possible.

It would be no fun if everyone just excepted that XB1 is a design failure.
Well at least you admit that your presence in these threads is mainly to gain joy from aggravating Xbox owners and repeatedly rubbing in PS4's superiority rather than any objective interest in comparing the differences between the games.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Some people seem to think that Microsoft is the only one capable of providing tools that allow for efficient usage of the hardware. This is both wrong and hilarious considering the apparent poor state the tools were in around and before launch.

I agree from what I've read that the performance of the tools were pretty bad.
I do think that the Xbox One is capable of producing good looking 1080p games so in that regard MS are slowly making in roads to allow better utilisation of the hardware to achieve that aim.

And no. I don't think the Xbox One will every have performance parity to the PS4.

geordiemp

Well at least you admit that your presence in these threads is mainly to gain joy from aggravating Xbox owners and repeatedly rubbing in PS4's superiority rather than any objective interest in comparing the differences between the games.

No, I am interested and I have the game. I am still not sure if it was a joke post or they really believe it.

There are 3 ways to deal with such posts, ignore / Inform discuss and argue / have fun

I am sure we all have done all 3 In our time on message boards.

We are on our second E3 of the next gen (first being reveal) and out for quite a few months now, so Its not surprising that after so many posts explain real hardware differences eventually posters get satirical and sarcastic....There are so many posts pretending to be Mr X now its hard sometimes to see if its a Joke or its just delusional.

Yes, I am interested in DX12 / mantle and ICE team stuff on CPU optimisation (the current cool stuff), which would probably help frame rate on some CPU bound games.

Also seen posters starting to encourage such posts, saying don't you not think DX12 will double....(you know they are not serious)

Anyway, back on topic read on another forum (beyond) that the XB1 scaler using edge detection is better than the inbuilt AMD version and gives some benefits.

Frankly after playing second son Infamous is badly optimised and no way should it not be able to hit 1080p30 on Ps4 if they put in the effort. I assume also Xb1 would also benefit relatively.

The fact that earlier Ps4 WD was 1080p according to Ubi and they chopped it down rather than iron out the kinks....

Seanspeed

Banned
No, I am interested and I have the game.

There are 3 ways to deal with such posts, ignore / Inform discuss and argue / have fun

I am sure we all have done all 3 In our time on message boards.

We are on our second E3 of the next gen (first being reveal) and out for quite a few months now, so Its not surprising that after so many posts explain real hardware differences eventually posters get satirical and sarcastic....There are so many posts pretending to be Mr X now its hard sometimes to see if its a Joke or its just delusional.

Yes, I am interested in DX12 / mantle and ICE team stuff on CPU optimisation (the current cool stuff), which would probably help frame rate on some CPU bound games.

People come on message boards to be informed, discuss games, but also a bit of fun at times. Lighten up.
Your 'just having a bit of fun' is trolling. You like trolling. That is not what GAF needs, in my opinion. There's ways to enjoy yourself that don't involve aggravating others. You calling the Xbox 'a design failure' - I mean, that's not just 'having a bit of fun'. That is intentionally trying to act smug about the PS4 knowing it'll annoy Xbox owners. The Xbox is less powerful than the PS4, but its not a design failure. The amount of people here who actually buy into any 'secret sauce' stuff is a tiny, tiny minority. Most people are quite aware of the power differences and have come to accept that, but it seems people like you are becoming troubled by this trend, so you need to fan the flames.

Your 'just having a bit of fun' is trolling. You like trolling. That is not what GAF needs, in my opinion. There's ways to enjoy yourself that don't involve aggravating others. You calling the Xbox 'a design failure' - I mean, that's not just 'having a bit of fun'. That is intentionally trying to act smug about the PS4 knowing it'll annoy Xbox owners. The Xbox is less powerful than the PS4, but its not a design failure. The amount of people here who actually buy into any 'secret sauce' stuff is a tiny, tiny minority. Most people are quite aware of the power differences and have come to accept that, but it seems people like you are becoming troubled by this trend, so you need to fan the flames.

I'm so glad NeoGAF doesn't have a "like" button, but if it did I'd have used it. Well said.

Top Bottom