• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

so? just because it was designed that way doesnt make it good. Uncharted 4 in multiplayer felt responsive without the janky animations, and he is literally shooting through that pillar.

Im not trying to downtalk the game because I think it will be great and I have it preordered, but lets not just defend the janky stuff.

I actually think U4 MP suffers from all the animation priority. It feels like everything is a tad delayed. It's definitely not as snappy as that QB gif.

Actually why are we talking about U4 this much in this thread.

xion4360

I actually think U4 MP suffers from all the animation priority. It feels like everything is a tad delayed. It's definitely not as snappy as that QB gif.

Actually why are we talking about U4 this much in this thread.

I would have to play QB to see if it feels good or not, Im just saying from my time with it it didnt feel janky and its not a problem with past games either. I find the comment strange.

Uncharted seems like a good comparison to QB so thats why its brought up so much.

Did something like this ever happen? Changing the resolution from 720 to 1080 is a very huge performance impact, so I wouldn't dream about it.

It did happen with Call of Duty Ghosts (720 to 1080 I think) and Black Flag (900 to 1080 on ps4). They were launch titles that didnt have final hardware long enough to really finish working on the games, but that cant be expected now that were over 2 years in. If a game went gold its not going to see such major improvements to something like that.

Did something like this ever happen? Changing the resolution from 720 to 1080 is a very huge performance impact, so I wouldn't dream about it.

AC4 on PS4 is the only case I can think of.

It's not gonna happen with this game. Remedy has no problem reducing resolution in favor of hella lighting. Alan Wake already showed that.

thelastword

Banned
Not sure why this game is so hyped, everything looks pretty mediocre (yes, even the graphics).
Which is strange, I mean in the end I could dig the gameplay, but graphically there's nothing top-shelf here even for the XB1. It's even more disingenuous to compare these guys to ND who are (arguably) the best developer out there right now.

When Remedy is able to make a native game on the consoles without janky animation low rez assets, without tearing and average gameplay, I think we can perhaps line them up with regular multiplat devs on these consoles. Putting 4xMSAA on 540p of a mostly janky and repetitive affair did not make them a great dev last gen, doing the equivalent this gen, perhaps not even with the 4xMSAA is not far removed from their prior efforts either, perhaps even worse.

I guess right now, we will have to see how this looks on PC in comparison, hopefully it's not pared back too much based on what is being shown here on the XB1....but it will be interesting to see this game run with proper assets, a proper resolution and a solid framerate without tearing.

zsynqx

Which is strange, I mean in the end I could dig the gameplay, but graphically there's nothing top-shelf here even for the XB1. It's even more disingenuous to compare these guys to ND who are (arguably) the best developer out there right now.

When Remedy is able to make a native game on the consoles without janky animation low rez assets, without tearing and average gameplay, I think we can perhaps line them up with regular multiplat devs on these consoles. Putting 4xMSAA on 540p of a mostly janky and repetitive affair did not make them a great dev last gen, doing the equivalent this gen, perhaps not even with the 4xMSAA is not far removed from their prior efforts either.

I guess right now, we will have to see how this looks on PC in comparison, hopefully it's not pared back too much based on what is being shown here on the XB1....

Dude stop.

I think we'll see more compromises as the generation goes on and developers want to experiment with more demanding techniques.

Intrigued to see how Gears of War 4 stacks up.

cgcg

thats false, everything he said about QB is on uncharted 4. by the way there is no pre-rendered shit in u4. devs already said everything is dynamic. so yeah hes just salt. im not saying nd is better than remedy as game studio. but in technical stuff they put a lot more work than remedy

im 100% sure that ND would never ship a game with these horrible animations like this
yEg0TGz.gif

, and remedy have been in this genre longer than ND

edit: thats my last post about uncharted or other studio, lets focus in this game

That's terrible, from the crouch hopping to the janky aim transition. You can't even tell if he's shooting thru the pillar or just bad camera implementation. Finally read the article and damn, screen tearing, frame drops at 720p/30fps. I don't think it'll get worse than that this gen. Absolutely terrible. I think the overuse of PP effects makes the smearing even worse.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Didn't Ubisoft do something like that with Black Flag?

AC4 on PS4 is the only case I can think of.

It's not gonna happen with this game. Remedy has no problem reducing resolution in favor of hella lighting. Alan Wake already showed that.

AC4 on PS4 was 900p and then they unlocked it to 1080p via a patch (yet people still doubt that Ubisoft parity is a thing)

720p to 1080p would be unheard of.

Vinc

That snappy aim animation is clearly intentional and a fantastic thing in my opinion. It makes the controls more responsive, which is a gameplay improvement. Putting animations at a higher priority would be a mistake if you ask me.

AC4 on PS4 was 900p and then they unlocked it to 1080p via a patch (yet people still doubt that Ubisoft parity is a thing)

720p to 1080p would be unheard of.
Oh yeah, the person I quoted was just looking for an example of upped resolution in general. I do agree 720p to 1080p would be quite surprising though.

Peterpan

That's terrible, from the crouch hopping to the janky aim transition. You can't even tell if he's shooting thru the pillar or just bad camera implementation. Finally read the article and damn, screen tearing, frame drops at 720p/30fps. I don't think it'll get worse than that this gen. Absolutely terrible. I think the overuse of PP effects makes the smearing even worse.
Go watch videos, instead of using a single gif to make judgements off. It's not that difficult. The screen tearing is fixed. Yea.

thelastword

Banned
I think we'll see more compromises as the generation goes on and developers want to experiment with more demanding techniques.

Intrigued to see how Gears of War 4 stacks up.
I think that's mostly dependant on the dev tbh. The same was said last gen but we saw some nice improvements, by and large resolutions became better, except for the cods etc, which were 60fps. I mean look at the improvements Rockstar made with their games on PS3 at least and look at the progress made from Gears 1 to Gears 3. It's just that Remedy have always struggled with the predominant standard for each console generation. I think XB1 can do much better in more capable hands.

Chris1

Console Warz. People saying the game is average looking now. Mmmmmh.
Went from "is that pc footage? No way thats on xbox one" to "game looks average" real quick over something no one could point out until df said so even though there's hours of footage out there

I think that's mostly dependant on the dev tbh. The same was said last gen but we saw some nice improvements, by and large resolutions became better, except for the cods etc, which were 60fps. I mean look at the improvements Rockstar made with their games on PS3 at least and look at the progress made from Gears 1 to Gears 3. It's just that Remedy have always struggled with the predominant standard for each console generation. I think XB1 can do much better in more capable hands.

You might say this but remedy still are one of my favourite devs. I love their games. No one supplies the kind of vibe that they do

Went from "is that pc footage? No way thats on xbox one" to "game looks average" real quick over something no one could point out until df said so even though there's hours of footage out there

This is the kind of thing I just laugh at. All those posts claiming to be the PC version and now its a bad looking game. Console wars are just funny to me.

thelastword

Banned
so where are these top shelf xbone games if this isn't one?
Every MS published or first party game is not automatically top shelf graphically. Hell, I wish they would be and and of course they should be leading the charge, but I've been very disappointed with MS's output from an internal standpoint this gen.

Halo5, QB are all a bit lacklustre graphically, Forza is probably their best effort and even that has many compromises, but I respect that game's native resolution and solid 60fps. I have more respect for K.I over QB which is not 1080p, but at least it's exceeding 60fps for smooth gameplay and good netcode. So I can respect those, yet, of all the games mentioned here, QB is at the bottom with it's low-fi assets and sub 30fps with tearing and janky animation.......

How big is the Remedy team anyway?

Maybe it's a PC developer thing, or they do not have enough human/skill resources to address these issues for consoles. Not that they are strangers to console development entirely, but just in relative terms to more dedicated or larger console teams with more console experience probably.

And it's possible in their minds that the PC was their target platform first, even if the game was also coming to Xbone.

Maybe MS needs to invest more in their support teams to avoid this, I dunno.

At least from reading at a surface level it seems that Sony has a heavy investment in this regard that appears to be paying off, maybe Xbox should consider doing the same, and if they are already maybe considering investing more resources into it.

QB looks really good but it doesn't strike me as a game, even with all its post-processing, that should run at 720p on Xbone. Sure it's underpowered to the PS4, but I don't believe the hardware is so significantly inferior to PS4 to warrant a 720p30 resolution with frame drops....

Still seems like a cool game, and I'm always interested in Remedy after Max Payne... we'll see I guess.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Every MS published or first party game is not automatically top shelf graphically. Hell, I wish they would be and and of course they should be leading the charge, but I've been very disappointed with MS's output from an internal standpoint this gen.

Halo5, QB are all a bit lacklustre graphically, Forza is probably their best effort and even that has many compromises, but I respect that game's native resolution and solid 60fps. I have more respect for K.I over QB which is not 1080p, but at least it's exceeding 60fps for smooth gameplay and good netcode. So I can respect those, yet, of all the games mentioned here, QB is at the bottom with it's low-fi assets and sub 30fps with tearing and janky animation.......

so what you're saying is, that unless developers choose 60fps, and perhaps 1080p, on a console for which the hardware is lacklustre for targetting 1080p and 60fps, the developer isn't good?

this y'alls argument? because it's shit.

Plenty of people criticized the graphics before, it just that they were called fanboys whenever they did.

its not really janky animation. Its to assist the playability of the game. I understand people not liking the look of it, but this is going to be one fast snappy assed shooter. It needs to jump to aiming position ina couple of frames. I can understand people not liking the look of it, i think it looks a bit goofy, but I can appreciate why it is happening.

Also casting off a game down to resolution and framerate is a bit of a shame to me. I'll have to chime in in a couple of weeks once im actually playuing the game. I must admit that i am glad that i can fall back on the pc version if the console version ends up being affected by the tech etc I am hoping it won't tho

so what you're saying is, that unless developers choose 60fps, and perhaps 1080p, on a console for which the hardware is lacklustre for targetting 1080p and 60fps, the developer isn't good?

this y'alls argument? because it's shit.

You said it better than me! and have a great avatar. Thank you

tuxfool

Banned

To be perfectly honest plenty of people noticed the poor shadow cascading distances and the general blurriness of the look. People even noticed the aliasing from low resolution screenspace effects.

I kind of wish games did not adopt these cover systems like this.

I mean Max Payne 1 and 2 did not need cover systems. Does every TPS need to be designed with cover?

It has different pacing and I do like cover shooters, but Remedy made Max Payne for chrissakes which is still so good even to this day.

Modern sensibilities be damned, oh well. Still looks fine though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
How big is the Remedy team anyway?

Maybe it's a PC developer thing, or they do not have enough human/skill resources to address these issues for consoles. Not that they are strangers to console development entirely, but just in relative terms to more dedicated or larger console teams with more console experience probably.

And it's possible in their minds that the PC was their target platform first, even if the game was also coming to Xbone.

Maybe MS needs to invest more in their support teams to avoid this, I dunno.

At least from reading at a surface level it seems that Sony has a heavy investment in this regard that appears to be paying off, maybe Xbox should consider doing the same, and if they are already maybe considering investing more resources into it.

QB looks really good but it doesn't strike me as a game, even with all its post-processing, that should run at 720p on Xbone. Sure it's underpowered to the PS4, but I don't believe the hardware is so significantly inferior to PS4 to warrant a 720p30 resolution with frame drops....

Still seems like a cool game, and I'm always interested in Remedy after Max Payne... we'll see I guess.

it seems eminently plausible to me that the game would run at 720p, given the framebuffer/fillrate/bandwidth intensive effects present.

remember that the framebuffers killzone shadowfall used, for example, wouldn't even all fit into the 32MB of esram in the xbone. and that was just a PS4 launch game. stop throwing developers under the bus when they can't perform voodoo to make the xbone do things it can't.

it seems eminently plausible to me that the game would run at 720p, given the framebuffer/fillrate/bandwidth intensive effects present.

remember that the framebuffers killzone shadowfall used, for example, wouldn't even all fit into the 32MB of esram in the xbone. and that was just a PS4 launch game.

I kind of figured that was part of the reason too :(

Oh well. It is definitely very PP heavy.... to a crazy degree too.

Putty

My gripe is the simplicity of the game world. It simply lacks detail/objects/complexity. Even more apparent coming off the back of The Division which has a fabulous amount of world detail, and that's an open world game.

Ricky_R

I woke up today hopeful that there was going to be an update saying this wasn't true or an old build.

720p with dips and tear. Goddamn.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I kind of figured that was part of the reason too :(

Oh well. It is definitely very PP heavy.... to a crazy degree too.

you have to remember that the 'it's 50% weaker than the PS4' argument isn't straightforward, because on top of it having lower bandwidth than the PS4, it also has that lower bandwidth to a tiny amount of memory (32MB).

you only have to look at a game like forza to see the level of compromise that developers have to make to hit 1080p and 60fps with xbone; it's tons.

We're still getting people saying the game looks average. How.

Nevermind that, are we really excusing subpar animations right now? It's not like you need every last fraction of a second when playing against that AI. And you can't use that argument with that crouch walk animation either.

When Remedy is able to make a native game on the consoles without janky animation low rez assets, without tearing and average gameplay, I think we can perhaps line them up with regular multiplat devs on these consoles. Putting 4xMSAA on 540p of a mostly janky and repetitive affair did not make them a great dev last gen, doing the equivalent this gen, perhaps not even with the 4xMSAA is not far removed from their prior efforts either, perhaps even worse.

I guess right now, we will have to see how this looks on PC in comparison, hopefully it's not pared back too much based on what is being shown here on the XB1....but it will be interesting to see this game run with proper assets, a proper resolution and a solid framerate without tearing.

lol

Holy shit! How hard were you bashing the keyboard when you typed that lot of shite out?

It's literally designed this way on purpose. You might not like it but after hours with the final game, I'd say it's neccesary and the gunplay is extremely fast paced and this isn't a game to simple stay in cover and fire like most third person cover shooters.

FuturusX

That snappy aim animation is clearly intentional and a fantastic thing in my opinion. It makes the controls more responsive, which is a gameplay improvement. Putting animations at a higher priority would be a mistake if you ask me.

Wow...just wow.

madmackem

Hyperbole much? Plenty brought up it looking washed out and blurry when all that footage came out weeks back.

Wow...just wow.

He is actually right. I mean I've only played through most of the game already. So I might not know what I'm talking about.

Game is extremely fast and enemies move agressively, add that plus all the time powers. You'll understand once you play it, if you ever decide to. Unless the fast animations decided that for you already.

you have to remember that the 'it's 50% weaker than the PS4' argument isn't straightforward, because on top of it having lower bandwidth than the PS4, it also has that lower bandwidth to a tiny amount of memory (32MB).

you only have to look at a game like forza to see the level of compromise that developers have to make to hit 1080p and 60fps with xbone; it's tons.

And we are done here. I totally expect this to be 720p.
He is actually right. I mean I've only played through most of the game already. So I might not know what I'm talking about.

Game is extremely fast and enemies move agressively, add that plus all the time powers. You'll understand once you play it, if you ever decide to. Unless the fast animations decided that for you already.

I wouldn't even bother. People have decided from one gif what this game is. It's the nature of the Internet. Fast forward 5 years and hopefully, If due, this game will be seen as a classic to many

Bloodborne has better animation and gameplay :p

Bloodborne also has abrupt transitions, like QB does in that gif. When we saw the first footage of the game plenty of people were talking about how awful it looked and how they "went back to the bad animations from DS1".

gamz

It's literally designed this way on purpose. You might not like it but after hours with the final game, I'd say it's neccesary and the gunplay is extremely fast paced and this isn't a game to simple stay in cover and fire like most third person cover shooters.

What's your thoughts on it or can't you say?

Bloodborne also has abrupt transitions, like QB does in that gif. When we saw the first footage of the game plenty of people were talking about how awful it looked and how they "went back to the bad animations from DS1".

Don't say anything bad about bloodborne on here what are you trying to do? Lol

Top Bottom