• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

mintylurb

I posted the following comment in the Gamersyde video thread, but I guess it fits here more:

Anyone know why that occurs? Really curious to understand it.

I think shinra's post seems to explain that occurrence.
It looks like there's temporal reprojection boosting the resolution of several effects over several frames, like screen space reflections, but the starting res is so low it's very shimmery when the camera's being constantly adjusted. The science lab is plastered in reflective surfaces and TAA can't be expected to clear up specular aliasing adequately from such a low res either.

Javin98

Banned
Real life has sadly gotten in the way of everything as of late. And I mean everything :(

I too think the hyperbole is unwarranted. Though It seems honestly like the xb1 release is not where they targetted their rendering feature budget necessarily, I doubt they were originally thinking "Yeah, let's make the game run at a resolution that people think is last gen (after the whole controversy surround Alan Wake's resolution on xb360) on a console that has been controversial for its performance". Rather, I think they were just trying to make a pretty game, with pretty assets, and pretty effects which they then tempered to still look good on xb1. The early videos and screenshots of the engine in action show how it was obviously targetting some sort of higher-end PC given the resolution and the difference in clarity. I really do not buy the whole thing Phil Spencer said a while back about this game not being originally designed with PC's in mind or whatever. I mean, just look at this screen below... what game has any IQ like this on xb1?
image_quantum_break-22372-2722_0002.jpg

I made an argument once about FFXV (that is the new FF game, right?), that their choices for AA and AF were destroying all their art and effects work. Unlike that though, the draw back from resolution here seem to only affect one area so far with great magnitude, and that is image clarity and high frequency detail. Thankfully, they at least have something to combat the huge stair stepping that 1280X720 really would have. Thankfully the post processing is so abundant. I may not prefer it necessarily, but they are at least trying to mitigate inteligently. They manage to maintain a wide suite of effects in play and did not cut out one of those. That is a great thing. I mean, it is just an xb1, something has to give and it has usually been the resolution. I think xb1 gamers have come to accept that, just as it was acceptable that something like Ass Creed, Battlefront or Rainbow Six were sub-1920X1080 on all platforms. You can see where and why that is so.

The LOD being really close to the camera frustrum or the general lack of high AF is not that surprising honestly as that has been a common things for almost every console game this gen.
Damn, I hope everything goes well for you soon, man.

As for FFXV, the latest build that DF analysed was almost a year ago and if the rumours hold up, the game won't be out for another half a year. That's plenty of time for the devs to work on the game and I hope they bumped the res up to 1080p on PS4. Also, the missing AF issue seems to be mostly resolved now, with most recent games utilizing at least 4x AF. Hopefully, FFXV will use at least 4x AF as well.

Chobel

From the other thread http://www.inquisitr.com/2911665/qu...quantum-break-hold-up-in-its-opening-moments/

Quantum Break’s 1080p output is a temporal reconstruction from four previous 720p 4xMSAA frames. This approach gets us high pixel quality in combination with complex shading and effects, allowing us to achieve a cinematic look. However, varying sample counts between passes and temporal upscaling makes talking about resolution, as it is traditionally understood, complicated in the case of Quantum Break. Since the start of “Quantum Break’s” development, the most important thing for Remedy and Microsoft has been delivering a compelling gaming experience with superior artistic quality. This is what Remedy is renowned for. We’re confident that we have achieved this, and can’t wait to hear what fans think on April 5 when they play the game.

dr_rus

the minimum specs make it seem like another game that performs poorly on nvidia

2258 Tflops vs 1971.2 Tflops. Seems pretty close to me especially if you consider that 760 is FL11_0 GK104 and 260X is FL12_0 Bonaire.

The next step down for NV would be 750Ti which has only 1306 Tflops which is obviously a lot less.

2258 Tflops vs 1971.2 Tflops. Seems pretty close to me especially if you consider that 760 is FL11_0 GK104 and 260X is FL12_0 Bonaire.

The next step down for NV would be 750Ti which has only 1306 Tflops which is obviously a lot less.

tflops arent the sole measure of performance. lets not also forget the 260x was a 140$ card and the 760 was 270ish during the same time period.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_950_Xtreme_Gaming/30.html

7790 = 260x.

Shin-Ra

Explains why the image looks like crap every time they cut to one of those cinematic death shots. No previous frames = full 720p jank.
Actually, I think RMD deliberately extra-defocus one frame after the camera switch, maybe to mask some of the rawness of the first frame and/or for cinematic effect.

The unusual thing is actually the screen space reflections disappear in the frame before the camera switch, the same frame the HUD disappears, but it's not noticeable at realtime speed because the frame after with the camera switch is a much bigger change.

One time in Gamersyde's gameplay video that happens without a camera switch the frame after so it's visible as a flash-darkening of the reflective surfaces.

QBflash.gif

I agree with you but UC4 is far superior to what QB shown until now, especially on animations, characters details and photography, if people think otherwise, they're in denial.

QB still looks good for the X1 but the game never blow me away anyway...

Why are we even mentioning Uncharted 4 in a thread about Quantum Break?

Cuyejo

my god your tag is awful...
awesome

Sounds like a obsfucation attempt to me, guessing it's just a temporal AA pass after an additional 4x MSAA. Other games have been doing this for a while, like The Order,

I really don't get what's so impressive in this game... thinking about it it was Killzone Shadow Fall that set bar for graphical effects to come this gen, barring real time GI. Which I consider other games do better... Driveclub, Far Cries, The Division... this game is full of artifacts and really low resolution effects.

So it is the blurry Killzone MP case? Or something like?

If so it was terrible... SP was fine but the MP hurts my eyes.

Similar, but worse because KZ was using it to go to 60fps so geometry was being sampled twice as often and temporal effects occurred under a smaller time scale.

The full screen film grain effect also seems to create an illusion of detail for so many of the surfaces that are being sampled at such a low resolution. QB's technique also creates a weird nonstop halo of reprojection artifacting around the player character that is really distracting to me. Overall it seems like less than the sum of its parts.

le.phat

Game still looks good, all of things considered. Here's the kicker though: microsoft talked so much shit for the first year of the xbones launch, that people still want to call them out on their bullshit and games like QB (and any other graphical showcase ) gets inevitably strung once they cant reach microsofts lofty promises.

Had they not talk down the power differences early on, we'd be oggling over this game wondering how the frak they pulled this off on the xbone.

Game still looks good, all of things considered. Here's the kicker though: microsoft talked so much shit for the first year of the xbones launch, that people still want to call them out on their bullshit and games like QB (and any other graphical showcase ) gets inevitably strung once they cant reach microsofts lofty promises.

Had they not talk down the power differences early on, we'd be oggling over this game wondering how the frak they pulled this off on the xbone.

This is not the reason and you know it. The reason is a lot of people like to rag on a game that isn't on their system of choice. They find screens/gifs of certain scenes or lock down on one negative. This case the resolution and just hammer a game over and over and try and make the people that are hyped for that game not enjoy it or I don't know. Some really pathetic reason I guess.

Your point would be valid if it didn't happen to Alan wake. Gears of war 1 every exclusive etc etc the list goes on.

This is not the reason and you know it. The reason is a lot of people like to rag on a game that isn't on their system of choice. They find screens/gifs of certain scenes or lock down on one negative. This case the resolution and just hammer a game over and over and try and make the people that are hyped for that game not enjoy it or I don't know. Some really pathetic reason I guess.

Your point would be valid if it didn't happen to Alan wake. Gears of war 1 every exclusive etc etc the list goes on.

Being fair it goes the other way on the platforms too, people shitting on things like The Order due to the borders or the amazing looking Driveclub 'corridor' racer

I think the sticking point here is how they never once mentioned it being 720 and given how much people are caring about resolution now, that's a bit of a kick in the teeth for those expecting better. However with all the things going on, it still looks a good game, I'd be more concerned with frame drops/tears than the resolution tbh as those affect my enjoyment more than the resolution of a game.

So this only happens to games produced by Microsoft? You have very selective memory.

Regardless of any ulterior motives behind this discussion it perfectly reasonable to question why a current gen game that was initially built specifically for the Xbox One is running with last gen specs.

Aceofspades

Banned
I don't know but MS needs a first party dev on par with Sony's brilliant teams of ND, Gorilla, Evolution and Santa Monica (I mean technically not creatively )

Their teams never impressed on 360 days and now they are struggling with X1.

Being fair it goes the other way on the platforms too, people shitting on things like The Order due to the borders or the amazing looking Driveclub 'corridor' racer

I think the sticking point here is how they never once mentioned it being 720 and given how much people are caring about resolution now, that's a bit of a kick in the teeth for those expecting better. However with all the things going on, it still looks a good game, I'd be more concerned with frame drops/tears than the resolution tbh as those affect my enjoyment more than the resolution of a game.

Oh I totally agree I was trying to imply a lot of exclusives get hammered it just seems like more Xbox this gen due to the shift in userbase
So this only happens to games produced by Microsoft? You have very selective memory.

Regardless of any ulterior motives behind this discussion it perfectly reasonable to question why a current gen game that was initially built specifically for the Xbox One is running with last gen specs.

Good way of finding one "spec" ( resolution) and trying to link that to a generation. Especially after dark10x has described the kind of insane effects this game is doing that a previous generation couldn't dream about. People were using 1080p last gen as well. So that is a last gen resolution as well then, by your baseless standard. Or do you want to start moving goal posts now?

So the Xbox 360 could do what the Xbox One is doing with Quantum Break then?

Good to know, looking forward to the 360 port ......

I don't know but MS needs a first party dev on par with Sony's brilliant teams of ND, Gorilla, Evolution and Santa Monica (I mean technically not creatively )

Their teams never impressed on 360 days and now they are struggling with X1.

For what Remedy is able to produce on Xbone hardware, that is the definition of technical powerhouse. There are also Turn 10/Playground games which have great racing engine tech in their Forza games (full dynamic weather/daylight cycle, 4x MSAA 1080p locked 30fps in Horizon 2, locked 60fps in Forza 6). 343 Industries is also pretty technically impressive with what they achieved with Halo 4 on Xbox 360 and the locked 60fps experience of Halo 5 (no MCC is a trainwreck because it is a half-assed outsource attempt).

dr_rus

tflops arent the sole measure of performance. lets not also forget the 260x was a 140$ card and the 760 was 270ish during the same time period.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_950_Xtreme_Gaming/30.html

7790 = 260x.

They are if the code is using all of them which is what's happening on GCN with console optimizations loading compute in parallel to graphics (which is a bit pants in GCN h/w and is the reason why it underperformed previously). So judging a card from its flops numbers is actually pretty accurate these days.

I feel that this is more of a case of 750Ti being too big of a jump down from 760.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

but we know why it's running with 'last gen specs'...we've known since the beginning of the generation when MS revealed that they'd built a console that doesn't have the bandwidth or fillrate to operate comfortably at 1080p.

ethomaz

Banned
Similar, but worse because KZ was using it to go to 60fps so geometry was being sampled twice as often and temporal effects occurred under a smaller time scale.

The full screen film grain effect also seems to create an illusion of detail for so many of the surfaces that are being sampled at such a low resolution. QB's technique also creates a weird nonstop halo of reprojection artifacting around the player character that is really distracting to me. Overall it seems like less than the sum of its parts.
My issue with Killzone MP was that gives me nauseas in less than 30 minutes of play.

I'm fine with 60fps or 30fps games but Killzone MP was weird blurry and I saw something like a ghost in the images... it was really bad for me.

Glad the SP was fine.

Maybe I have to try others distances from the screen to see if it get better to me but I don't want to play the MP anymore.

EGM1966

Those insecure people at DF.
Yah that was such an unnecessary element of their article. At the end of the day most (all) media outlets play into the whole console war in one way or another, even if fairly gently, to generate a little extra friction and increase readership/clicks.

Pity but it's hardly a new thing. Human's like to compare, tabulate and codify everything which, combined with our drive to determine what's "best", is why we waste time and energy arguing whether Goofy's a dog or whether U4 is better than QB and why media instinctively or knowingly plays into it.

ethomaz

Banned
Yah that was such an unnecessary element of their article. At the end of the day most (all) media outlets play into the whole console war in one way or another, even if fairly gently, to generate a little extra friction and increase readership/clicks.

Pity but it's hardly a new thing. Human's like to compare, tabulate and codify everything which, combined with our drive to determine what's "best", is why we waste time and energy arguing whether Goofy's a dog or whether U4 is better than QB and why media instinctively or knowingly plays into it.
I would not like to live in a world without these interesting human characteristics.

For good or worst.

Compare things is what create the wish to make something better, research for better options/techs and create new things.

I love that.

nynt9

I mean, it's just an opening statement. Considering both games are coming out pretty close to each other, are third person shooters, seem to push the cinematic angle and trying to be a graphics showcase, it's a fine opener. If anything it elevates QB by putting it against UC4, since UC has a track record and QB is a new IP.

I don't understand why anyone would really be bothered by the comparison though, unless you're just in it for the warz.

EGM1966

I mean, it's just an opening statement. Considering both games are coming out pretty close to each other, are third person shooters, seem to push the cinematic angle and trying to be a graphics showcase, it's a fine opener. If anything it elevates QB by putting it against UC4, since UC has a track record and QB is a new IP.

I don't understand why anyone would really be bothered by the comparison though, unless you're just in it for the warz.
I'm not bothered by it in the least. I just understand why its there and its not for journalistic integrity.

It does fuel the very types of arguments you see in this thread though as a confirmation that PS4 exclusives should be compared to XB1 exclusives and that QB is XB1 version of U4 (which does have some merit to a degree but none that are particularly relevant to evaluating QB technically in isolation).

My point, if I have one (which I'm not sure I do!) is that these kinds of comparisons are in our very blood yet depending on circumstance we cry "who brought Uncharted into this thread" despite it being brought in by the source material - i.e. we're inconsistent fuckers us human beings!

Flintty

720p and 30fps in 2016

Wow, simply wow.

Alright, precious...

The game is looking great, despite the lower resolution. People just love to be outraged though, it seems. We all know the limitations of Xbox One and a game as heavy on effects and time control computations as QB is, it's no surprise cuts had to be made IMO. Where's that cloud when you need it eh? ;)

Top Bottom