• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

ethomaz

Banned
NXGame said DF was wrong about 720p on QB.

Remedy few days after confirmed native 720p render.

That is how reliable they are.

EvB

KJFe9aR.jpg

No resolution option?
Only UWA

Gets popcorn

Noobcraft

I am confused. Who is they?

And Remedy confirmed 720p?
It takes 4 720p frames and combines them to make a 1080p image, not unlike what Killzone Shadowfall did in multiplayer. So it's not 1080p, but not exactly 720p either. It's similar to what rainbow 6 siege does.

omonimo

Banned
It takes 4 720p frames and combines them to make a 1080p image, not unlike what Killzone Shadowfall did in multiplayer. So it's not 1080p, but not exactly 720p either. It's similar to what rainbow 6 siege does.
It's quite likely KZ. It's always a temporal reconstruction. So it's native 720p.

Justinh

Looks like there are more options above those? There is a scroll bar.

Yeah, resolution is usually on top. Hopefully it is up there, though. I don't understand why it wouldn't be.

I refunded my copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider from the Windows store on the first day, but I'm pretty sure I remember there being a resolution option.

ps3ud0

See to me thats 1080p as thats what the frame buffer sees and outputs to your screen with no scaling. I dont think theres any real need to decide which pixels are 'new' and which are reconstructed if the technique works well (which Im not 100% sure it does).

EDIT: Id admit though the technique is a bit over my head trying to reconcile whats actually happening so maybe Ive just missed some key point. Sounds like checkerboard interlacing with the reconstructed pixels being some average/temporal extrapolation from the previous 4 frames.

EDIT2: Sorry forgot to say thanks to the people who replied with info on the technique

ps3ud0 8)

R6 and QB seems very different from Killzone. Maybe even QB and R6 are different as well.

Killzone MP renders in 1080i natively each frame intercalating the rows, and them using a velocity vector they try to predict where the pixels from the previous frames will be.

R6 uses a MSAA'ed buffer, which contains the correct edges of a 1080p image, and use that delta do interpolate the inside pixels.

QB apparently does something similar, but it needs passes from old frames as if it accumulates the estimations over time.

Not sure which is more expensive, but they all seem to give better results than their native res would suggest.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure if that's what R6 uses, I just noticed that the slide I read was from Redlynx (Trials Developer). Perhaps R6 borrowed the tech, but they might developed their own as well.

Chobel

We'll see. If it has to render 4x MSAA frames to replicate the process on Xbox One, it would make sense why the Ultra settings recommended are so beefy. Would also make for a ridiculously good looking game if one could manage 4x 1080p frames.

It's not rendering 4 frames each time, they use the previous rendered frames to upscale resolution, so it makes no sense to use this tech in PC.

NXGame said DF was wrong about 720p on QB.

Remedy few days after confirmed native 720p render.

That is how reliable they are.

In the trailer it seems that they are doing some sort of reconstruction for the shadows, at least in cutscenes. When the char moves their self shadows get way more dithered compared to when they are standing still.

Quite interesting seeing all these techs to improve image quality/push graphics forward while keeping the rendering costs manageable.

It's not rendering 4 frames each time, they use the previous rendered frames to upscale resolution, so it makes no sense to use this tech in PC.

It always make sense to improve the native res no matter what it is XD

Maybe this way they can get 4k 60fps on hardware that wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Chobel

It always make sense to improve the native res no matter what it is XD

Maybe this way they can get 4k 60fps on hardware that wouldn't be able to otherwise.

It's just upscaling, smarter one yeah, but in the end it's still upscaling to higher resolution. So you're not really getting true 4K if you use this tech.

Personally I don't care about 4K support, just confirm that the game support any framerate (no 30fps cap) and I'm good to go.

KORNdoggy

Would this explain why the game looks smoother when you're static, but worse when you're moving, it can't use the previous 4 frames as accurately since there is motion involved?

Frozone

After seeing Quantum Break gameplay on Youtube, this game has got to be THE best looking game on consoles I've seen. Incredible use of hardware. Amazing lit particle count, light sources, shadows, DOF, deformation, animation is great, etc.. I can't imagine how this would look at 4k on a PC. PC hardware requirements are completely justified from all that is going on. Congrats to Remedy for such excellent use of the hardware!

The KZ, Seige and QB rendering methods are all very different. Aside from being attempts to save rendering time they don't actually have that much in common in how they work and what the results are.

Frozone

Global Illumination. Nice!

The volumetric lighting is very apparent in the footage I've seen.

Highest requirements for a game since Crysis 1.

nib95

Banned
Watched the video above and decided to go ahead and pre-order the game (Xbox One). Definitely excited for it. If however impressions and reviews end up lacklustre, I might re-consider. Hopefully one of the etailers does a better price for the game before launch, but I'm committed to £40 from SimplyGames for the time being. Flubit price matched to £39, but for a £1 I'd rather keep an official order that guarantee's the pre-order DLC and most likely ahead of release date delivery.

I'm still apprehensive about a few things though. Those being the live action segments (might kill pacing and just be quite poor), too many enemy waves and repetitious kill arena's (already some of the demo's I've watched have come on a bit strong with the combat, even early on), and lastly, there simply not being enough powers to keep things fresh. Though given the fact that there are also different weapons to go along with those powers, and creative combinations to experiment with, I'm much less concerned about the last one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is it me or the game is downgraded since E3 2013?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E087GDdXYl4

The final product is no where near their reveal trailer.
As a cut-scene, I think it's too early to hold Remedy's feet to the fire. It definitely looks entirely different in the final game. Writing is also different.

I'll be comparing the 2014 demo to the final game soon. That shows some very interesting changes.

For PC experts here, I have a question. Since Windows Store games don't support overlays, how am I supposed to tell my framerate? I want to be able to get a locked 60, and it's going to be a real pain in the ass to adjust the settings if I don't know what kind of performance I'm getting.

I have a 980Ti, by the way.

nib95

Banned
As a cut-scene, I think it's too early to hold Remedy's feet to the fire. It definitely looks entirely different in the final game. Writing is also different.

I'll be comparing the 2014 demo to the final game soon. That shows some very interesting changes.

Man I can't wait for all your QB content. Seems like there'd be loads to cover. When do you think you'll have it all ready?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man I can't wait for all your QB content. Seems like there'd be loads to cover. When do you think you'll have it all ready?
On review day. Doing the best I can but I'm sure there are still going to be things I miss. There's a lot to it.

For PC experts here, I have a question. Since Windows Store games don't support overlays, how am I supposed to tell my framerate? I want to be able to get a locked 60, and it's going to be a real pain in the ass to adjust the settings if I don't know what kind of performance I'm getting.

I have a 980Ti, by the way.

Other people have mentioned using DXTory. Never tried it, but may be the solution?

Top Bottom