• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not surprised.

Nintendo quickly became irrelevant in terms of hardware for the past 15 years(brute force and tecnology, not the ideia of the hardware itselft).

I'm still interested to see how this is moving foward. People are not going to buy the same Mario, the same Smash Bros, the same Splatoon. (Assuming the rumor was accurate and we do get Wii U versions of the game and right now, not even textures are going to be better).

And, Multiplayer games are quiet demading in terms of hardware. This is not going to surpass expectations for the multiplayer outside of home.

I'm going to say something very strong here. Nintendo Switch won't run Mario Kart with 4 player split screen outdocked. And for me, this is a pretty big deal.

Hermii

Why is that funny? I think everyone knows that running android eats up unnecessary resources and kills battery life? Running literally anything else would be a net performance gain?
Compared to phones and other tablets I have no doubt the switch will punch way above its weight. Maybe even compared to other consoles because it's Nvidia. The problem is, it's weight class is really light.

Vita is not even a 5th that of the PS3.

As for switch... We're looking at (as we currently understand the hardware) 5x in portable mode and 10-12x in docked mode versus Vita.
I thought I recall reading that the default GPU clockspeed for the PSVita was 111MHz for ~15 GFLOPS. If that is the case, the Switch is at least 10x of that undocked.

Um what?

This thing is playing Wii U ports, and is allegedly capable of running Dark Souls 3 at a playable level.

You think it will struggle to run GC games? Nintendo is usually good at emulation, no?

You need a lot of grunt to emulate the GameCube. Even the powerful phones everyone is citing here choke on that.

the emulator Nintendo creates would have to be hella optimized and possibly docked mode-exclusive. The latter would be a tremendous letdown.

Kathian

Banned
This is a big thread. The folk expecting a slim handheld to compete with two large boxes are maddening.

It's a handheld. It's the 3DS successor first and foremost. It's biggest game is a Wii U port.

What were people expecting? It's a handheld. The lower clock off dock was assumed by many for a while. The dock isn't adding more power from a second GPU but from being powered by the dock.

It'll run the next gen of Nintendo games. There will likely be good Japanese support. Potentially some Western support - but mainly more broad titles.

Soodanim

It's still going to be a home Pokemon machine. I won't buy on release but when the library is there I definitely will jump in. Third party is a bonus.

-"Industry leading chips"
-"as powerful as a PS4"
-"not as powerful as a PS4, as powerful as X1"
-"not as powerful as X1, as powerful as Shield TV"
-"not as powerful as a Shield TV, but more powerful than a Wii U"

Can't get any worse...right guys?

FStubbs

If it means good battery life, it's a necessary evil.

What is the value proposition of a Switch over the phone you already have?

Better games will always be #1, but #2 would be better battery life. This is how the Gameboy beat "better" systems continually in its lifespan.

Malakai

I haven't had time to read through every response here, so I'm probably repeating what others have already said, but here are my thoughts on the matter, anyway:

TL:DR

Each of these numbers are only a single variable in the equation, and we need to know things like CPU configuration, memory bus width, embedded memory pools, number of GPU SMs, etc. to actually fill out the rest of those equations to get the relevant info. Even on the worst end of the spectrum, we're still getting by far the most ambitious portable that Nintendo's ever released, which also doubles as a home console that's noticeably higher performing than Wii U, which is fine by me.

This is why I finding myself questioning any Eurogamer article. Why Eurogamer couldn't the article write out something like you just did? Or at least address the points that you have brought up. Eurogamer takes like two fact points and writes a verbose article mixed with unnecessary speculation.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
If you think that the Switch is competing with the 3DS then this is just plain FUD/trolling.
Why? In the mind of a parent they walk into the store and see a $250 gaming tablet sitting next to a more affordable 3ds with mountains of games. Then you look at the $50 tablets and consider you have an extra phone that they could play Mario and Pokemon on.

Then you remember how they trashed their $50 tablets and start to wonder if a clamshell is the better way to go since DS and 3DS were so rugged.

What's the appeal of this to a parent buying for a child? 3rd-party Japanese portable support?

atbigelow

Oh, but we mean empowering the console via dock. You can't use USB 3.1 as an extension for the console. 10Gbps isn't enough, even less if the data is transmitted in bursts I guess

Do you mean like, having the dock contribute computing power? Yeah, USB doesn't have that kind of bandwidth. My bad!

I'm definitely not expecting them to do that at any point, as a note. It's why I'm betting on USB 3.1 instead of Thunderbolt 3.

Scrawnton

I'm not surprised.

Nintendo quickly became irrelevant in terms of hardware for the past 15 years(brute force and tecnology, not the ideia of the hardware itselft).

I'm still interested to see how this is moving foward. People are not going to buy the same Mario, the same Smash Bros, the same Splatoon. (Assuming the rumor was accurate and we do get Wii U versions of the game and right now, not even textures are going to be better).

And, Multiplayer games are quiet demading in terms of hardware. This is not going to surpass expectations for the multiplayer outside of home.

I'm going to say something very strong here. Nintendo Switch won't run Mario Kart with 4 player split screen outdocked. And for me, this is a pretty big deal.

You were seriously expecting to play 4 play split-screen on Switches built in screen?

I dont even know what to think about that...

To be a "Hybrid" implies console support. This thing is just an expensive Nintendo handheld, competing against an established Nintendo handheld in the 3ds.

As a parent of 6yr-old and 8yr-old boys, the DS and 3DS were optimal due to their rugged nature, clamshell design, and affordability.

This is a $250-300 tablet that plugs into the TV. No way I'm trusting them after what they do to every tablet they've had.

This console is aimed at almost nobody in particular. You'd have to try to make it this bad.

Yes because no one buys tablets for their kids. You do know that practically every name brand tablet has separate cases to protect them from damage right? The switch won't be competing long with the 3ds if we're to believe that this is its successor. Aimed at nobody? Yes because nintendo doesn't have an established fan base already. Nintendo games are aimed at the same demographic as always. The switch just appears to be unification of all of Nintendos efforts into one platform. Regardless of what you believe the Nintendo experience is something other platforms don't offer. Stop putting such a focus on if a game is a console or portable experience. People just want good games. If the switch does well enough Publishers aren't just going to ignore it because "power constraints".

bobeth

Gosh, you'd swear I was in a GameCube spec thread circa 2001.
Remember that, when its CPU and GPU clocked significantly under PS2 and Xbox and everyone said it was too weak to compete? Remember how that turned out?

Both CPU and GPU were clocked higher than the PS2. The general consensus was that it sat between the Xbox and PS2, even back then..

-"as powerful as a PS4"

Most of the quotes were never said. The switch was always believed to be weaker than the xbox one.

Miracle

-"as powerful as a PS4"

Can't get any worse...
More powerful then its predecessor? Goodness me! How unexpected!

At least the Switch was able to accomplish the bare minimum in that regard. 😂

The Beard

-"as powerful as a PS4"

As powerful as an OUYA?

RobotVM

You know you guys did this right? Complaining about the battery life in that one thread. Nintendo was like better make it more than 2 hours of battery life by down clocking the hell out of this thing.

Jigorath

Banned
-"as powerful as a PS4"

Famous last words.

Scrawnton

Why? In the mind of a parent they walk into the store and see a $250 gaming tablet sitting next to a more affordable 3ds with mountains of games. Then you look at the $50 tablets and consider you have an extra phone that they could play Mario and Pokemon on.

Then you remember how they trashed their $50 tablets and start to wonder if a clamshell is the better way to go since DS and 3DS were so rugged.

What's the appeal of this to a parent buying for a child? 3rd-party Japanese portable support?

parents were already looking at a $200 3ds xl and a $500+ ipad and choosing the latter for theirs kids though...

-"as powerful as a PS4"

The first three points were discredited as soon as the form factor was official. The comparison for the Shield TV will be interesting once we know more about the actual chip setup.

Kssio_Aug

-"as powerful as a PS4"

-"I never said that" - Tatsumi Kimishima

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I thought I recall reading that the default GPU clockspeed for the PSVita was 111MHz for ~15 GFLOPS. If that is the case, the Switch is at least 10x of that undocked.

I ma concerned by today rumors but. .. is there really someone comparing switch to vita?
It clearly is better than wiiu even so...

FStubbs

You need a lot of grunt to emulate the GameCube. Even the powerful phones everyone is citing here choke on that.

the emulator Nintendo creates would have to be hella optimized and possibly docked mode-exclusive. The latter would be a tremendous letdown.

Would it? IIRC Dolphin requirements were less than those for PCX2 despite the Gamecube and Wii being more powerful.

Nintendo would also have access to their own documentation to make writing an emulator easier than the Dolphin guys.

Not to make light of the tremendous work the writers of Dolphin have done, of course.

One simple question...do we know how many cores the thing will have? I read the post of thraktor and it seemed that this was still an unclear thing.

One thing to take under consideration is franchise fatigue. This is most evident with the dumbasses at EA releasing Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 in roughly the same launch window and then not realizing or not caring that Activision was also releasing Infinite Warfare shortly after...

I still can't believe those morons thought that was a good idea. Talk about selling TItanfall 2 short... Such a shame.

Would it? IIRC Dolphin requirements were less than those for PCX2 despite the Gamecube and Wii being more powerful.

Nintendo would also have access to their own documentation to make writing an emulator easier than the Dolphin guys.

Not to make light of the tremendous work the writers of Dolphin have done, of course.

I have played DreamCast and GCN on a Shield TV and both ran incredibly well.
Never tried PS2.

I still don't care at all. I look at this as a handheld before a home console. And I'll take what I can get with a unified library on one system.

With that said, I'm hoping the price reflects it. Not only of the console but the games as well.

timlot

Banned
-"as powerful as a PS4"

I've been passively following Nintendo Switch threads, but I always had a feeling this was going to be the ending result. Just didn't think it would be like this.

Vena

Yes, there's definitely a disconnect in this info with the GC emulation info floating around, since quad-core A57 (which don't change speeds in dock, mind you, and they will be the major bottleneck on software emulation) feel too weak for any, let alone good, GameCube emulation.

Something doesn't add up.

Either its not a quad-core, or its not A57, or its not both.

Dolphin still requires a solid CPU and will run into single-thread limits on throughput of your cores. The current specs are not that, so either Nintendo/NERD have engineered some sort of super-emulator, or something's amiss.

FStubbs

I ma concerned by today rumors but. .. is there really someone comparing switch to vita?
It clearly is better than wiiu even so...

Apparently some people seem to think that it is not.

Also, you do have people who think the Vita > Wii U in power.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I like that you completely omit the biggest thing the Switch does here. Allowing kids to play their games on TV and then seamlessly take them on the go and be able to play with their friends natively, not extra equipment required. All built in to the base unit.

Or the fact that games on the Switch will look vastly superior to what's on the 3DS. They aren't going to be looking through the system catalogues to see which has more software, they're going to be looking at what's just been released and what's hot right now.

Or the fact that parents buy their kids iPads all the time, not just cheap no name tablets. 200-250 isn't that much for a lot of people. Especially if they equate this as a replacement for giving their kids both a handheld device of some kind, 3ds or tablet, and a console system. Two birds, one Switch.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
-"as powerful as a PS4"

0144_eloo9.gif

I've been passively following Nintendo Switch threads, but I always had a feeling this was going to be the ending result. Just didn't think it would be like this.

I remember casually browsing one and was surprised to learn the switch not being as powerful as the PS4 was news to some people. I couldn't believe some people were hyping the hardware to such degrees.

...told ya so. Again.

And I'll also go on record saying that it will sell well and generally be a hit and Nintendo fans will largely love it. Not as confident about this as the specs, but I'll still put my chips down. Although I thought the Wii was going to be a flop, so what the fuck do I know.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Again. Publishers will go where the money is. They always do. Or are people forgetting about all the dumbed down versions of popular ips on the wii/ds? Remember call of duty on ds?

I do, dont remind me.

I had a Vita, kids had a 3DS. Made the mistake of getting that for them. They were not too happy ...

-"as powerful as a PS4"

I think the only thing thats still right before today is industry leading chips.

And I remember when that was first posted some of us said ARM chips were industry leading too..

And ARM made more sense for a shared platform of handheld and home console. (At the time it wasnt known to be a hybrid system. I remember going back n forth on that so many times...lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom