• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aBarreras

Well it is open world, a genre that you seem to dislike I think. What's the extra power part that has apparently hurt games in your opinion? Honest question.

going open world has hurt some games, that are now open world just because they can be open world,

Metal Gear Solid V is an example, and even tho i liked, it really suffers from being open world sometimes.

edit: and no, i love open world games, my problem is that even if the consoles are more powerful now, the only thing has had changed are graphics and open worldeness, the only new mechanic i think of that is thanks to the next gen is the nemesis system of shadow of mordor

GAF never fails me. :p

What's the absolute most you would pay for this system? $300? Serious question.
Well I live in Canada and we will get boned no matter what but I'll speak in US dollars. I think this machine should be MAX 249. No higher. If it's 300 I'd expect that to come with a full title like mario or zelda in a bundle or whatever.

I'd consider 199 for the base console to be the sweet successful spot. I realize even 249 is a longshot knowing nintendo but that's how I feel.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Switch games will be likely as powerful as Xbox One.

Since it has to only render less pixels at 720 (or lower depending on devs) and maybe reduce some settings slightly more on top the hardware can handle current-gen games.

With the low level API and the architectural improvements and tools available for easier porting to Switch no need to worry

A game just came out for Xbone that's running at 612p. (ARK) Also, 720p will generally be for the severely underclocked portable mode.

Zelda and similar games will be $60, no other way around it.

Nintendo has already shown its willing to price first party games lower than 60 based on the experience offered. Hopefully that continues.

Real talk. I wasn't buying this for anything other than their first party offerings. But how is thing gonna look and run 3rd party ports?

It the ace attorney games and other third partiy 3ds titles continue to the switch then nope I'll be buying third party games on it as well.

Oregano

They won't draw any direct comparisons to the Switch. Nintendo will likely never talk specs publicly. The new Shield device is an Android TV Set Top Box. Gaming isn't even it's primary feature, unless you're taking about game streaming from your PC or GeForce Now.

Ehh Nvidia still funds Shield exclusives. Gaming is one of the bigger aspects. You're probably right that they won't draw a Direct comparison.

Real talk. I wasn't buying this for anything other than their first party offerings. But how is thing gonna look and run 3rd party ports?

It's not going to.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Will being underpowered and Nvidia based make emulation and piracy more of a threat? I know little about that stuff, but it seems like it would be easier for folks to get emulators running Switch games on Nvidia PC GPUs that are far more powerful than an underclocked X1 vs. past gens where Nintendo's hardware was underpowered but proprietary.

Miracle

Is it more or less powerful than people were expecting?

Less than I was expecting. I was excited by that announcement trailer and had a thought that because of how poorly the Wii U did, they would step up their game a bit. A hybrid console is a good idea imo but with this, combined with the battery life thread that not many seem to like at all, is really turning this console from a potential big hitter, to a disappointment.

But I guess we'll see if the whole bigger support from 3rd party Devs keep this console from selling poorly like the Wii U.

Azzanadra

Well I live in Canada and we will get boned no matter what but I'll speak in US dollars. I think this machine should be MAX 249. No higher. If it's 300 I'd expect that to come with a full title like mario or zelda in a bundle or whatever.

I'd consider 199 for the base console to be the sweet successful spot. I realize even 249 is a longshot knowing nintendo but that's how I feel.

Yeah we are gonna get fucked here, I expect $330 for the base console alone.

roytheone

Will being underpowered and Nvidia based make emulation and piracy more of a threat? I know little about that stuff, but it seems like it would be easier for folks to get emulators running Switch games on Nvidia PC GPUs that are far more powerful than an underclocked X1 vs. past gens where Nintendo's hardware was underpowered but proprietary.

Emulators take a long time to develop, even for comparatively weak hardware.

LordRaptor said:
It's a portable more than a "handheld".
Its a bit big to be called "Handheld".
... Just what are you planning on holding it with?
JetSetRadio said:
So can I still expect MK8 NATIVE 1080p/60 docked, preferably with some decent AA solution this time?
I don't see why not.
cackhyena said:
And WiiU? What does the WiiU say?
Wii U says, "I was the most graphically advanced dedicated gaming machine on the planet for a year. In that time, I highly underperformed sales expectations."
Robert at Zeboyd Games said:
The Switch is a Wii U Pro with a better gamepad that's actually portable and doesn't need to stay within range. Alternatively, it's a Vita 2 with a much better built-in PSTV.
It's also finally a Wii 2, bringing back dual motion controls but now with significantly more oomph and without the missing buttons.

Miracle

I hope you're right with the base console price. That's my sweet spot too.

Boke1879

I mean if you loom at it as a handheld, its not bad at all.

I don't man. I'm buying this no doubt especially if it's bundled with Mario, but I mainly gonna be playing this in docked mode. Unless I'm taking it around the house. No way I'm taking this out and about with me.

I just feel outside of the nintendo faithful and people like us. Is anyone else really gonna jump on this?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Emulators take a long time to develop, even for comparatively weak hardware.

I get that, hence why there still isn't a working Wii U emulator out there (though apparently some are getting closer).

My question was whether being an underclocked X1--which came out in 2015, could speed up that process. i.e. are people already working on emulating the Shield? Will that lead to emulators being out sooner than usual and causing problems for Nintendo?

aBarreras

Yeah we are gonna get fucked here, I expect $330 for the base console alone.

i mean at least canadians earn good money right? im from mexico, if this thing launches at 250 it will be sold probably at 9mil pesos here, that is around 430 dollars with currenct exchange rates. and we dont earn as much neither

Metfanant

Maybe the year when you learn that your list is totally fucking meaningless?
It's not meaningless if you expect there to be any 3rd party multiplatform ports...

You expect Sledgehammer to port over CoD:AW2 when their developing down from the 6tf Scorpio, to the 4.2tf Pro, to the 1.8tf PS4, and so on and so forth all the way down to something with less GPU grunt than a PS3 in portable mode, and a little more than what, a 1/4 as powerful as the Xbone?

They've already ditched PS360 support because they simply can't handle the games...And they were ALREADY sub-HD last gen...

Scrawnton

But that's the problem, Nintendo's marketing this as a home console.

Nintendo hasnt really started marketing it yet outside of their press release (which did highlight it as a home console) and Jimmy Fallon (which highly showcased its ability as a handheld system).

I really think that come January Nintendo will change its tune on how they communicate this device. Pokemon will be out and 3DSs final big holiday will be past it and it will be time for Nintendo to highlight this thing as their next handheld.

Somnid

There's a big middle ground though. Considering it uses an X1 expecting somewhere closer to 250/600 Gflops would not have been outlandish(thats about what I expected) and they undershot that quite a bit.

Obsessing over Gflop numbers is kinda ridiculous though, it's a paper spec, it doesn't translate well into anything tangible because the whole system matters. It's like 64-bit vs 32-bit all over. Screenshots and video are God here, either like those or you don't. We also have game announcements, you either think those are good ports or not.

Schnozberry

Ehh Nvidia still funds Shield exclusives. Gaming is one of the bigger aspects. You're probably right that they won't draw a Direct comparison.

It's not going to.

It's going to get quite a few indie games, and if it's succesful, will get a smattering of 3rd party support.

Nvidia's funding pretty much all the development on it's own platform is one of the major problems with it. There are too few Shield devices to make it worth taking advantage of the platform. It doesn't help that Android OpenGL performance is the shits, and porting is difficult.

diaspora

The Switch's hardware is to the Wii U what the Wii's hardware was to the GameCube. I called it when they revealed it was a handheld with TV out.

Schnozberry

The Switch's hardware is to the Wii U what the Wii's hardware was to the GameCube. I called it when they revealed it was a handheld with TV out.

That's simply not true. It will outperform the Wii U in portable mode, and several times over while docked. The Wii was at most a 50% improvement over the Gamecube in raw power, plus additional memory.

.la1n

I have no issue purchasing this as a successor to my 3DS if the price is right. Marketing this as a home console first isn't doing them any favors though.

Philippo

I never cared for 3rd party ports (outside of Dragon Quest XI), only for 1st party, but 3rd party dedicated games are still a big thing for me.

Hope japanese devs like Square, Atlus, Capcom and so on are still on board with exclusive games.

Astral Dog

Nintendo has already shown its willing to price first party games lower than 60 based on the experience offered. Hopefully that continues.

It the ace attorney games and other third partiy 3ds titles continue to the switch then nope I'll be buying third party games on it as well.
Thats why i said Zelda and similar games, the more "ambitious" titles will be console priced no doubt.

Yes we can expect price tier variety on Switch :)

ViciousDS

Banned
I wonder what sacrifices would have to be done to make it usable portable wise. I mean there are Xbox one games that are still 720p-900p being released.

That portable mode is so gimped that porting to it with current AAA gaming sounds like it would be a fucking nightmare to do and seems like most companies just wouldn't port at all if it has to support it.

roytheone

I get that, hence why there still isn't a working Wii U emulator out there (though apparently some are getting closer).

My question was whether being an underclocked X1--which came out in 2015, could speed up that process. i.e. are people already working on emulating the Shield? Will that lead to emulators being out sooner than usual and causing problems for Nintendo?

I would actually call cemu a working Wii U emulator. It isn't perfect, but a lot of games are fully playable. However, that has been realized so fast because the wiiU still shares a lot of architecture with the GameCube /wii, so emulator developers already had a lot of experience with it. Architecture is more important then raw power for how difficult it is to make an emulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom