• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SystemUser

What does it beung underclocked have to do with the price point? Really wondering.

Higher clock speed requires more cooling more cool hardware means more expensive. Also lower clock speed means you can use lower quality chips. A full speed chip needs to be perfect. Lower classes could chips can be more imperfect. That means less rejects and less rejects means less wasted. Less wasted means lower prices.

saskuatch

I wouldn't be surprised come announcement time that there are even more disappointments in store. The price is going to be high just based off the fact that they have tried to cram so much stuff into it other than simple gaming.

Rncewind

wow nintendo produced weak ass hardware and probally gona want a premium price tag for it which is not gonna be reasonable

who had thought

lol nintendo

To me the success is about pricing, not the performance. The Wii U was horribly overpriced. If this thing is at least priced fairly to what you are getting, they will do fine. $300 DOA, $250 pushing it, $200 perfect.

People are very quick to say I'm dreaming at $200, but I would like to say I'm not dreaming. This is quite frankly the price they need to hit for it for it to be the success they need. It has nothing to do with personal desire.

sanstesy

Well hey i'll give you that. The assets are not crazy quality, but there is a big density of them (and again, don't tell me this is not using PS4 power to run. This is obviously what they can achieve at 30fps). Put less of that and weaker LODs on Switch, plus maybe less good iq and it's going to look pretty rough.

Of course it is using the PS4 to make the IQ and framerate as good as it can be. But it isn't a graphical intensive game at all. And even the draw distance isn't even good; enemies magically appear 15 feet in front of you.

What kind of nonsense is that?

A Dragon Quest XI port of the PS4 version to the Switch would need to be downgraded quite a lot. Polygon count, texture quality, IQ, lightning etc.

What nonsense again? No one is saying DQXI will not be downgraded, just that it isn't graphical intensive at all. Nothing about the (maybe even static) lightning, polygon count or texture quality seen in DQXI is anything even last-gen couldn't have been done.

What nonsense again? No one is saying DQXI will not be downgraded, just that it isn't graphical intensive at all. Nothing about the (maybe even static) lightning, polygon count or texture quality seen in DQXI is anything a last-gen didn't already have.

I think you need to check your eyes. The simplistic style is fooling you

sanstesy

I think you need to check your eyes. The simplistic style is fooling you

No, it's the other way around and the simplistic style is fooling you. Objectively there is nothing going on other than some modern features every other PS4 game has (solid draw distance, great IQ).

Cerium

From the Article:

That's splitting hairs over "official" confirmation. If you throw out 20nm the whole article is invalidated. Read this part carefully:

Performance at lower clocks could be boosted by a larger GPU (ie more CUDA cores), but this seems unlikely - even if Switch is using newer 16nm technology, actual transistor density isn't that different to Tegra X1's 20nm process - it's the FinFET '3D' transistors that make the difference. A larger GPU would result in a more expensive chip too, with only limited performance gains. And if Switch is using a more modern 16nm Tegra chip, we would expect Nintendo to follow Nvidia's lead in how the new process is utilised. However, the Tegra X2 features the same CUDA core count and apparently boosts GPU clocks by 50 per cent, the opposite direction taken by Nintendo.

It's going to be 20nm and you're going to look silly for pretending that there's any ambiguity here.

ggx2ac

Yeah, for all we know it could have even less CUDA cores lol

That would be hilarious.

At 1 SM or 128 CUDA Cores it would be a turbo Vita at 78 GFlops when portable and a turbo Wii U at 196 GFlops when docked.

Although it really puts into question whether it would really need a fan to operate at those performances.

So the SM setup is a really big unknown considering the final dev-kit should be similar to Switch while the older Dev-kit was an overclocked Jetson TX1 according to rumours back then.

Jubenhimer

Should we really be surprised? Nintendo has shown time and time again that specs don't sell game platforms, compelling software does. They've been proving this since the Game Boy. Hell, do you really think the PlayStation 4 is selling because it's powerful? No, it's selling because it has must-have games.

Should we really be surprised? Nintendo has shown time and time again that specs don't sell game platforms, compelling software does. They've been proving this since the Game Boy. Hell, do you really think the PlayStation 4 is selling because it's powerful? No, it's selling because it has must-have games.

And a kick-ass controller, and because it did all the things the XB1 didn't want to do since day 1 (Albeit the XB1 fixed that with a day 1 patch, the bad rep was already there)

EDIT : Oh, it was also much cheaper and it was well known it was way more powerful than the XB1, on the other hand after that difference proved to be not as noticeable for most people, the XB1 started selling well again (with no kinect and a pricecut... so many factors)

saskuatch

I dunno why people are doing mental gymnastics trying to say it will have 3 or 4 SM. The specs seem to be more or less confirmed through the leaks now. I doubt Nintendo will release final specs regardless so this information is as good as it will get until a post launch tear down.

That's splitting hairs over "official" confirmation. If you throw out 20nm the whole article is invalidated. Read this part carefully:

It's going to be 20nm and you're going to look silly for pretending that there's any ambiguity here.

The only info leaked by this article is the clock speeds. They admit they don't have official confirmation on anything else- SM count, CPU cores, process node, etc. Yet they are using the current leaked specs to predict performance at the leaked clock speeds. They admit several times that things can be different if the chip is heavily customized.

Read Thraktor's earlier post for good clarification. This article doesn't even claim that final architecture will be Maxwell.

On a very general note... if you can make a point without sticking like 8 MB GIFs in your post, that is a Preferable Thing.
orioto said:
You're not getting it...
It's not a cock contest of what game is the best looking here.
That Monolith can do friggin' miracles on WiiU doesn't mean SE will make his PS4 title that probably runs at 30fps runs the same on a 5x less powerfull hardware..
Also you're delusional, you're inversing things.. Xenoblade looks good in gifs, not in person.. DQXI obviously has better assets.. This is not next gen for nothing..
I think I get what you're saying. To put it another way, "Regardless of what Monolithsoft can do, if that's what they can do on PS4, they'll get MUCH worse results on Switch." However, it's also plausible that that's not the best they can do on PS4, but what the prettier half of a Japanese multiplatform Switch/PS4 game will look like.

The only info leaked by this article is the clock speeds. They admit they don't have official confirmation on anything else- SM count, CPU cores, process node, etc. Yet they are using the current leaked specs to predict performance at the leaked clock speeds. They admit several times that things can be different if the chip is heavily customized.

Read Thraktor's earlier post for good clarification. This article doesn't even claim that final architecture will be Maxwell.

Regarding this....wtf. It would be nice to know if they tried to get some of this information. If they have access to people who know the clock speeds, surely they know something else about the specs. Just the clock speeds paint such an incomplete picture of the product that it's very frustrating.

All that quote is saying is that 20nm vs 16nm shouldn't make any difference in density (which means that 16nm wouldn't make having more GPU cores any more likely). What are you even trying to argue here?

BlackJace

I dunno why people are doing mental gymnastics trying to say it will have 3 or 4 SM. The specs seem to be more or less confirmed through the leaks now. I doubt Nintendo will release final specs regardless so this information is as good as it will get until a post launch tear down.
This leak leaves a lot of gaps, as explained by Thraktor. This is a part of the overall equation, not the answer to said equation.

People expecting this to cost $200 are crazy.

The Vita and 3DS both launched starting at $250. There is no way this launches less than that given the extra hardware it almost certainly comes with.

People expecting this to cost $200 are crazy.

The Vita and 3DS both launched starting at $250. There is no way this launches less than that given the extra hardware it almost certainly comes with.

3DS is a pretty bad example to use, considering Nintendo deeply regretted launching it at $250 and cut its price by a third within five months.

They've also gone on record stating Wii U was too expensive.

Team $199

orioto

Good Art™
On a very general note... if you can make a point without sticking like 8 MB GIFs in your post, that is a Preferable Thing.

I think I get what you're saying. To put it another way, "Regardless of what Monolithsoft can do, if that's what they can do on PS4, they'll get MUCH worse results on Switch." However, it's also plausible that that's not the best they can do on PS4, but what the prettier half of a Japanese multiplatform Switch/PS4 game will look like.

It's not really about games being pretty or not actually? There will be games with less things to push and prettier looks i'm sure on Switch.

What we're talking about is how japanese third party games done for PS4 and Switch will look like, now that we know most of the specs.

What would be a shame is that we have some really horrible ports on it.

sfedai0

Banned
Price will be paramount here. Now that the specs are out, if they price it too high (which they likely will), they'll price themselves out, just like WiiU. Hard to justify a $250_-300 price tag when MS and Sony are selling theirs sub 200.

Doctre81

3DS is a pretty bad example to use, considering Nintendo deeply regretted launching it at $250 and cut its price by a third within five months.

They've also gone on record stating Wii U was too expensive.

Team $199

That doesn't mean launch at $100 cheaper. You also have to think of future price drops. $250 is the absolute lowest this will be. Due to inflation it's "cheaper: than the original wii launch price. Expecting anything lower is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I have already set my expectations low after the initial trailer. After the initial hype and "think of the possibilities!" I remembered that this is Nintendo and expectations should be set low.

So, low clock speeds? <shrug> Not the whole picture of course, but are we really surprised? Nah.

Jubenhimer

And a kick-ass controller, and because it did all the things the XB1 didn't want to do since day 1 (Albeit the XB1 fixed that with a day 1 patch, the bad rep was already there)

EDIT : Oh, it was also much cheaper and it was well known it was way more powerful than the XB1, on the other hand after that difference proved to be not as noticeable for most people, the XB1 started selling well again (with no kinect and a pricecut... so many factors)
Well yeah, the PS4 is selling for a lot of reasons. But it's power is hardly a factor in it's success. The PS4 is selling because, like the PlayStation before it, Sony artfully avoided all the mistakes it's competition was making (Microsoft/Nintendo's Draconic practices, and Sega/Nintendo's lack of focus and sloppy management). Aside from mobile and PC/Steam, the PlayStation 4 is really the only reliable option for the majority of developers, hence why it has currently, one of the largest libraries on the market right now.

Price will be paramount here. Now that the specs are out, if they price it too high (which they likely will), they'll price themselves out, just like WiiU. Hard to justify a $250_-300 price tag when MS and Sony are selling theirs sub 200.

Counter point, if they can't sell this thing for $250 or more, their isn't enough of a market for a hybrid.

Instro

Yeah best to assume 2SM, but we probably won't find out for sure until well after release.

sanstesy

Counter point, if they can't sell this thing for $250 or more, their isn't enough of a market for a hybrid.

Yep, $250 should not be a breaking point in any way if the hybrid concept Nintendo conceptualised with the Switch really has a market. I already said as much when I predicted a $299 price point with the specs people speculated with before this leak.

MacTag

Banned
So Zelda is the more intensive game and Xenoblade looks plain better than the UE using Dragon Quest XI.

Well, why not?
Zelda's doing different things. It has a nice basic artstyle, but the game's a fully dynamic open world action game. Plus it's a Wii U game, I'm not sure why you insisted on comparing it to DQXI in the first place.

DQXI looks great but it's filled with canned animations, limited interactivity and smaller vistas. Like with Zelda the artstyle's doing all the heavy lifting too, it's not that complex and probably by design. SE has been working on the Switch version right along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom