• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if it gets AAA third party. That's all I care about.

That's all you care about? What year is it? I could understand this being all you cared about regarding a Nintendo console 20 years ago. If third party multiplats are your main concern, holy cow, you have so many other options right now.

It will probably get some of these, but I wouldn't expect a lot. You'll get HD Bravely Defaults, Shin Megami Tenseis, Etrian Odyssesies, Ace Attournies, Monster Hunters, Pokemons, lots of indies.

Be excited for what it is. Not what it's not.

KAL2006

Banned

Most habdhelds don't get much multiplatform 3rd party games. And if they do they are compromised alot. Vita and PSP are good examples of this as they were quite powerful when they released.

I guess Nintendo could have targeted $200 price for something even weaker than this leak. But this power range and $250 price point I think is a good middle ground. They can always reduce price down the line when they want to start getting the kids market or people like you who are not interested at a price above $200.

That's all you care about? What year is it? I could understand this being all you cared about regarding a Nintendo console 20 years ago. If third party multiplats are your main concern, holy cow, you have so many other options right now, it's insane.

But this is the chance to have those games on a capable portable. Direct ports on a portable! It's the dream for some of us.

I care most about thirdd-party multiplats, too, and specifically for that reason. Playing a version of FIFA or Dark Souls or Sonic in bed or on a plane that matches the version that I'd play on a home console is what I've been searching for for my whole life. My Vita is great, but it's not all the way there.

The Switch might be it, man.

And Wii and Wii U got first wave ports.

If Switch were to receive Wii-level third party support, I'd be over the moon.

But this is the chance to have those games on a capable portable. Direct ports on a portable! It's the dream for some of us.

I care most about thirdd-party multiplats, too, and specifically for that reason. Playing a version of FIFA or Dark Souls or Sonic in bed or on a plane that matches the version that I'd play on a home console is what I've been searching for for my whole life. My Vita is great, but it's not all the way there.

I'm not saying you shouldn't care about third party support, but for it to be all you care about is very odd to me.

KAL2006

Banned

Cool so do you think a $350 price point with a delayed released and worse battery life would be successful for this dream to become reality.

Here's a few I can remember

Dark Souls Trilogy
Skyrim
Dragon Quest 10
Dragon Quest 11
Binding of Isaac
Just Dance
Sonic the Hedgehog 2017
Steam World
Stardew Valley
Yooka Laylee

Well, that's what I know about and none of those titles tell us anything about the hardware's capabilities. Skyrim is the only one that kinda gives me hope

I'm not saying you shouldn't care about third party support, but for it to be all you care about is very odd to me.

I don't think it's odd. The pull of playing third-party releases on handheld that match the console versions is strong for some people.

I care about Nintendo's first-party too, but even if I weren't interested in any of that at all, I'd still be keeping tabs on the Switch in hopes that it would essentially be the portable PS3 that Sony wrongfully said the Vita would be.

Cool so do you think a $350 price point with a delayed released and worse battery life would be successful for this dream to become reality.

Please don't make me cry. Thank you.

For real, I can live with a three-hour battery, but not with a price point over about $250. I'm waffling back and forth on if I should get one at launch if the core console is $299, and I'm leaning toward "no" right now. I'll change my mind on this a few times in the next couple months.

AzaK

That's all you care about? What year is it? I could understand this being all you cared about regarding a Nintendo console 20 years ago. If third party multiplats are your main concern, holy cow, you have so many other options right now.

I thought "on top of Nintendo games" was implicit otherwise yeah I'd just keep my PS4.

Did you see DQXI?

That game is not graphically intensive at all. I don't see it looking that much worse as it already looks pretty rough.

And even if it were, SE has shown they are making a completely different version for 3DS.
I wouldn't be surprised if we get a better version of that for the Switch, or a downgraded version of the PS4 title.

Anyway, those games are super easy to port and change around, unlike say... The Witcher 3

BobLoblaw

Banned
I can't for the life of me understand why some people are shocked. Nintendo just doesn't care about graphics. They're actually offering a lot of what people didn't want with the Wii U - a weird hybrid controller thingy (only this time it's actually portable).

Yes, it sounds innovative, but the average person with a phone will most likely not want to buy a separate device that can't play their current games, is way bulkier, and has a lot less battery life. The Switch will still sale a few million units due to a lot of people's love of Nintendo, but for people thinking that this would miraculously be some sort of game changer, I'd probably get off at the hype train's next stop.

Cerium

I haven't kept up but what exactly did he say again?

He reported repeatedly that Switch would use Pascal. He has admitted his information was wrong and that he believed in it 100%.

eh Nate been right mostly, not sure why to doubt now just for other rumors.

Pascal was the only real information he offered that wasn't also coming from Laura and the others.

Can you name a single piece of Switch information he got exclusively correct?

orioto

Good Art™
No? What is graphically intensive in that game while looking at the gameplay footage we have?

So you think those ps4 graphics would run flawlessly on Switch

0gyMXJo.gif

DQ11 looks great but from the small bit weve seen it doesn't look like there is that much going on in the world to the point where it couldn't run on a less powerful system especially at 720p. There will be compromises for sure but it's not like DQ games are known for their bleeding edge graphics. I'm sure it will look fine.

What exactly is going in this gif that is so intensive that it has no shot at running on Switch?

While I imagine the Switch version of DQXI is derivative of the PS4 version, I think I'd prefer an HD 3DS port instead.

It doesn't have that fuck ugly MMO look to it like the PS4 one does.

bomblord1

Banned

0gyMXJo.gif

There's nothing insane gong on there. It looks gorgeous but that's more the art direction and lighting. Go with a few optimizations, reduce the draw distance on the grass, and I could see it running on the switch at 720p.

KAL2006

Banned
There is still hope for some 3rd party ports

I'm hoping we get Marvel VS Capcom Infinite, Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 as all these fighters were ported to handhelds in the past.

Indie games will be easy to port as they are less demanding in fact Vita already gets quite a few games.

Niche Japanese games will also release on Switch. Japanese devs that release games on 3DS and Vita could make the Switch.

We also have games that release on smartphones and tablets and Micro Consoles like NVidia Shield TV that can get ported. As they use similar mobile architecture.

Switch also supports popular engines so we can get heavily downgraded ports or spin off that use similar engine and assets.

Then to top it off you have Nintendo supporting this fully without the need to support 2 systems.

In terms of software this isn't obviously going to have crazy amount of games like PS4/XB1/PC. But it will for sure not be as dead as a Wii U or Vita.

I expect software library to be a combination of Vita, 3DS, iOS and Wii U library in 1 which is competent when those software release schedules are combined.

MacTag

Banned
It runs circles around Zelda which is even on the Switch not a flawless experience.
Performance was rock solid on what little we saw of the Switch version. Where are you getting not flawless from?

Zelda's a pretty different sort of game than DQXI anyway. Fully go-anywhere open world, fully real-time action, heavily interconnected object and physics systems and likely a significantly larger world. I guess DQ has some pretty grass though.

He reported repeatedly that Switch would use Pascal. He has admitted his information was wrong and that he believed in it 100%.

Pascal was the only real information he offered that wasn't also coming from Laura and the others.

Can you name a single piece of Switch information he got exclusively correct?
You know the article in the OP claims Pascal-based customizations for Switch's Maxwell right?

orioto

Good Art™
You guys are pretty funny. I mean, i can accept the idea you seem to have that DQXI only use a portion of the PS4 hardware cause it's so well optimized..

But if not, we're talking.. a game that would run at the same resolution when docked, with half the ram and wait, 1800/350 = 5x less graphical power.

Sure, a little less grass will be fine, we won't see the difference.

sanstesy

It runs circles around Zelda which is even on the Switch not a flawless experience.

It only "runs circles" around Zelda in terms of the PS4 being ten times better hardware than the Wii U otherwise it's bar none one of the least graphical-intensive open-world games on the PS4. Low-res (especially ground) textures, sprite-based grass and fauna, barely anything going on in the open-world that impacts performance. I can even see a case be made that Zelda is more intensive with its physics engine.

0gyMXJo.gif

So you think those Wii U graphics would run flawlessly on PS4?

Exploration6.gif

Look at the direct-feed footage, not small gifs that hide every graphical flaw.

You guys are pretty funny. I mean, i can accept the idea you seem to have that DQXI only use a portion of the PS4 hardware cause it's so well optimized..

But if not, we're talking.. a game that would run at the same resolution when docked, with half the ram and wait, 1800/350 = 5x less graphical power.

Sure, a little less grass will be fine, we won't see the difference.

The grass is literally worse looking than in Breath of the Wild, a Wii U game.

Red Devil

Eh, we'll see. If there're games, I'm sold, which is what I'm hoping to see soon, because so far there're like only one exclusive I care about(the Mario game, I'm not including games like Yooka-Laylee because it's coming to PC and other console or Zelda because by the time being it's still coming to Wii U).

Here's a few I can remember

Dark Souls Trilogy
Skyrim
Dragon Quest 10
Dragon Quest 11
Binding of Isaac
Just Dance
Sonic the Hedgehog 2017
Steam World
Stardew Valley
Yooka Laylee

I still find it weird Sonic Mania isn't coming to Switch but the other game is.

jackdoe

Shit, Rise of the Tomb Raider showed us that you can downgrade any current gen game to work on weaker hardware.

But I'll be honest, I really do hope the DQ XI Switch port is an HD version of the 3DS version. I already have a PS4 Pro, so I'm covered for that version of the game. What I don't need is a PS4 version with the compromises in image quality needed to run on weaker hardware. I would rather have the unique 3DS version with improved image quality on the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom