• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never buying another Nintendo console again. Im use to lower power than the other consoles but this is lower than the lowest thought before.
Thanks Nintendo you have fun games but Im moving on.

demigod

He reported repeatedly that Switch would use Pascal. He has admitted his information was wrong and that he believed in it 100%.

Pascal was the only real information he offered that wasn't also coming from Laura and the others.

Can you name a single piece of Switch information he got exclusively correct?

Did he get his info from semiaccurate, lol.

Metfanant

PS4 and Switch aren't designed to do the same thing at all - Let's see how far you get playing with your PS4 en route to work. I agree that my example was a little silly but the Switch, whilst being in the same sector as the PS4 and Xbone, clearly isn't designed to compete with them.
they will compete directly wether you like it or not, if Nintendo intends to capture the Wii audience again...And they surely do...

Since when is 360 more powerful than PS3? I thought PS3 had more flops, just a nightmare CPU to develop for.
the GPU in the 360 is more powerful than the PS3...

Also completely false.

There, ftfy

Why leave out the fp16 number for the PS4 Pro, if you're going to include it for the Switch?

orioto

Good Art™
So you think those Wii U graphics would run flawlessly on PS4?

Exploration6.gif

Look at the direct-feed footage, not small gifs that hide every graphical flaw.

You're not getting it...
It's not a cock contest of what game is the best looking here.
That Monolith can do friggin' miracles on WiiU doesn't mean SE will make his PS4 title that probably runs at 30fps runs the same on a 5x less powerfull hardware..
Also you're delusional, you're inversing things.. Xenoblade looks good in gifs, not in person.. DQXI obviously has better assets.. This is not next gen for nothing..

Cerium

We'll know what DQXI looks like on Switch in January so I don't see any need to get bent out of shape over it right now.

Also you're delusional, you're inversing things.. Xenoblade looks good in gifs, not in person.. DQXI obviously has better assets.. This is not next gen for nothing..

In this instance, I think you're the one being delusional. Though I do wonder how much better XBCX'll look on the Switch.

Champion

I actually feel bad for those who still have high expectations for Nintendo and their hardware.

It's just not who they are and some need wake up.

orioto

Good Art™
In this instance, I think you're the one being delusional. Though I do wonder how much better XBCX'll look on the Switch.

Xenoblade on WiiU is the perfect exemple of a super good looking game due to perfect optimizations, art direction, landscapes etc.. But seen from close enough there is obviously a reality check when doing crazy distances like that on WiiU..

You're telling me it has better textures and models than PS4 games, sure. Have fun with that statement. This is math i mean..

Eh, it's subjective. I think it looks pretty ugly, and I played thirty hours of it, but I can see someone loving the aesthetic of the game to look past the technical blemishes.

This is not even subjective he's basically saying DQXI has less graphics to display than some WIiU games so it should be fine on switch.. That's ridiculous.

Rodin

Why leave out the fp16 number for the PS4 Pro, if you're going to include it for the Switch?
Didn't think about that, good point!

Xenoblade looks good in gifs, not in person..
This is rich.

EDIT: 20nm would almost be more stupid than when they sold the Wii U for 350 bucks at loss to ensure bc, low power consumption and a small (ugly) box instead of putting the best hardware they could for the money

Cerium

20nm still hasn't been confirmed, has it? Though I wouldn't be surprised.

The article says 20nm and this whole conversation is predicated on the article being right.

Will we? Do we have a confirmation of a western release, let alone that the Switch will be getting it for real?

They literally reconfirmed it for Switch yesterday. For like the fourth time. And the event is being held in Japan.

sanstesy

You're not getting it...
It's not a cock contest of what game is the best looking here.
That Monolith can do friggin' miracles on WiiU doesn't mean SE will make his PS4 title that probably runs at 30fps runs the same on a 5x less powerfull hardware..

That GIF was supposed to prove that exact point. DQXI doesn't look as good in person as well because it really isn't graphical intensive at all.

Of course it won't run exactly the same on the Switch, image quality will assure that. What I'm saying is that I see no reason for DQXI to get downgraded hard because the asssets themselves are already low-quality. Just looking at that the sprite-based grass and low-res ground textures should tell you that.

Also, just because a console has x amount of power doesn't mean the game will utilise it and funnily enough DQXI clearly shows that.

We don't know the node actually. 20nm is possible but not confirmed.

For what I read
"Direct-Feed Games ‏@DirectFeedGames 12月15日

I heard Pascal over the summer. I know Pascal was being investigated for use with Switch. I'm legit surprised."

He doesn't say he was wrong, he just bought into the new rumor.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm clearly not, I'm just saying it doesn't look bad. I ain't got no stake on whatever you're on.

Cause we're discussing how a game like DQXi would need to be downgraded and would look ugly on Switch.

I can tell you i find FFVI on snes good looking, that doesn't mean a PS4 game will run the same on Switch with those specs. Even if it's poorly done compared to what does monolith, it'll then be even worse on Switch.

I mean don't you get my point. if it's what they can do on PS4 and it's not running at 60fps, that means their engine is already not running that well on it.

That GIF was supposed to prove that exact point. DQXI doesn't look as good in person as well because it really isn't graphical intensive at all.

Of course it won't run exactly the same on the Switch, image quality will assure that. What I'm saying is that I see no reason for DQXI to get downgraded hard because the asssets themselves are already low-quality. Just looking at that the sprite-based grass and low-res ground textures should tell you that.

Also, just because a console has x amount of power doesn't mean the game will utilise it and funnily enough DQXI clearly shows that.

I sincerely don't see the whole crappy assets thing on DQXI. Maybe you can show me from those compressed vids where you can see that..

jackdoe

You keep saying this, but have you seen Dragon Quest XI in person? All we have so far are Youtube compressed videos to look at.

Xenoblade on WiiU is the perfect exemple of a super good looking game due to perfect optimizations, art direction, landscapes etc.. But seen from close enough there is obviously a reality check when doing crazy distances like that on WiiU..

You're telling me it has better textures and models than PS4 games, sure. Have fun with that statement. This is math i mean..

This is not even subjective he's basically saying DQXI has less graphics to display than some WIiU games so it should be fine on switch.. That's ridiculous.
The montains in xenoblade look better than mountains in final fantasy xv

orioto

Good Art™

And it's cause of better art direction and different choices. There is no miracle you know..

Comparing two different games doesn't equal discussing how a same team will port a game on a less capable hardware.

But that texture buffering, bro. The poor RAM (for the Wii U OS and how it shared only half with the games) hurt that game so badly.

Which worries me a little. The SWITCH has 4GB RAM, which is more than enough, but how well will it use them.... who knows.

crinale

And it's cause of better art direction and different choices. There is no miracle you know..

Comparing two different games doesn't equal discussing how a same team will port a game on a less capable hardware.
Yeah, and we must know that HD version of DQ11 is being developed by team who did DQ 10 of WiiU..
They may be efficient but they aren't really master of optimization..

sanstesy

You keep saying this, but have you seen Dragon Quest XI in person? All we have so far are Youtube compressed videos to look at.

The gameplay footage is clear as day even with some compression. Just look at the ground. Or the stones. Or the animations. Or the the grass not even moving when being walked on.

So Zelda is the more intensive game and Xenoblade looks plain better than the UE using Dragon Quest XI.

Well, why not?

It's like a game being on more powerful hardware (and using UE4) has nothing to do with the game being more graphically intensive. Has all to do with the game itself and nothing to do with hardware power.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah, and we must know that HD version of DQ11 is being developed by team who did DQ 10 of WiiU..
They may be efficient but they aren't really master of optimization..

And that makes me think, about an other guy earlier in the thread wondering if Dark Souls would run like on PS4..
Well.. about from Software and optimizations..

In terms of realistic performance (clock speeds + CPU/GPU architectural advancements + RAM + Pikmin strength, etc.), Switch in portable mode is probably equivalent to ~1.5 Wii Us and in docked mode, ~3.14159265 Wii Us.

plank

Eh, we'll see. If there're games, I'm sold, which is what I'm hoping to see soon, because so far there're like only one exclusive I care about(the Mario game, I'm not including games like Yooka-Laylee because it's coming to PC and other console or Zelda because by the time being it's still coming to Wii U).

I still find it weird Sonic Mania isn't coming to Switch but the other game is.

Its too graphically intense for the Switch.

Cerium

Uhh even the article and video says they are not sure if it's 20nm or not.
Can we not make shit up please?

Recently, Venturebeat essentially reconfirmed a Digital Foundry report from July, revealing that Nintendo Switch is based on Nvidia's Tegra X1, featuring a GPU based on second generation Maxwell technology.
So with that in mind, the main difference comes down to the process technology: 20nm in Maxwell, 16nm FinFET in Pascal.

Uhh even the article and video says they are not sure if it's 20nm or not.
They only do Maxwell in 20nm. Nvidia would just call it Pascal if it was 16nm. I bet Nintendo got a really good deal on the X1 (see Semi-Accurate's article), and I still think they'll replace with Pascal in the inevitable iterative update/s within 2-3 years.

orioto

Good Art™
The gameplay footage is clear as day even with some compression. Just look at the ground. Or the stones. Or the animations. Or the the grass not even moving when being walked on.

It's like a game being on more powerful hardware (and using UE4) has nothing to do with the game being more graphically intensive. Has all to do with the game itself and nothing to do with hardware power.

Well hey i'll give you that. The assets are not crazy quality, but there is a big density of them (and again, don't tell me this is not using PS4 power to run. This is obviously what they can achieve at 30fps). Put less of that and weaker LODs on Switch, plus maybe less good iq and it's going to look pretty rough.

What kind of nonsense is that?

A Dragon Quest XI port of the PS4 version to the Switch would need to be downgraded quite a lot. Polygon count, texture quality, IQ, lightning etc.

crinale

What kind of nonsense is that?

A Dragon Quest XI port of the PS4 version to the Switch would need to be downgraded quite a lot. Polygon count, texture quality, IQ, lightning etc.
..and I think that's why SE guy said they must make third version at Famitsu interview.

orioto

Good Art™
..and I think that's why SE guy said they must make third version at Famitsu interview.

I wonder about that.. It's weird...
if it's not just a a downgraded version of the PS4 version.. Nor an upgraded version of the 3ds one.. What would it be.. Character would be an average size between the two versions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom