• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think that if you plugged in the SWITCH while on the go, with a power pack/adapter/plug... say, in the office or on a train ... you would get the full power just like you would if it was in the dock at home?
The dock has an extra fan so you would need the dock.

Edit: sorry I stated that as fact, still a rumor until we know officially.

foxbeldin

Do you think that if you plugged in the SWITCH while on the go, with a power pack/adapter/plug... say, in the office or on a train ... you would get the full power just like you would if it was in the dock at home?

That would be pretty cool but you'd still need to use a tv if the screen on the tablet is 720p otherwise it would be useless.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I don't blame muchomalo, Nintendo just killed off their home console segment and ninty apologists are telling people to be happy it's a good step up from the 3DS.

This is a calculated step towards heavier 3rd-party presence in the mobile/tablet market. No conspiracy it's that bad.

250 would be good price. I expect 299 though. Anything less i will be happy. Anything higher i will wait for price to come down. 199 is where i buy usually.

Hermii

The dock has an extra fan so you would need the dock.

The jury is still out on that one.

I kind of doubt it anyway, because Nintendo clearly intends the extra Power to be used as a resolution inchreaser, and mobile mode will be Limited by the screen resolution.

I don't blame muchomalo, Nintendo just killed off their home console segment and ninty apologists are telling people to be happy it's a good step up from the 3DS.

This is a calculated step towards heavier 3rd-party presence in the mobile/tablet market. No conspiracy it's that bad.
Why would they make a Nintendo branded PS4 or Xbox One when about 80 million consumers already have those systems?

Zedark

They could just do a Konami and make the jump, their investors want it. In fact, they are working against their investors in this regard by not embracing mobile in a much larger capacity.

The notion that the Switch being weak is a calculated move to kill off their hardware is definitely a conspiracy theory by the way (and possibly not even a true scenario either).

Rolf NB

Wii U was never about "moving games off the TV". All it was about was mimicking the tactile second screen of the DS/3DS.
Except for all of the Wii U games supporting off-TV play. They work on a single screen. Vast majority, hardly anything lost.
Switch is a device clearly aimed at closing the gap between handhelds, home consoles and the currently dominating gaming platform, i.e smartphones/tablets.
Switch is aimed at taking pressure off Nintendo 1st party resource allocation. No more splitting support between multiple platforms. No more tough decisions which market needs / deserves propping up more vs revenue opportunities. Full attention focused on one thing.

Everything else is rationalization. Switch will not make the tiniest dent into neither smart device usage nor competing home consoles. It's just as ill-equipped for that as the Wii U was.

Arjayes

Banned
The amount of care is surprising, really. Nintendo (or maybe gaming?) has some really passionate fans. Honestly, I'm just looking for something to play in between doing other things such as work, school, drinking (sounds bad lol); I'm not looking for anything that's going to knock my socks off. I admire you guys that give so much to this genre. Maybe the Switch is geared more towards people like me that just want to play Smash Bros or Mario Kart on the go - and people are angry because Nintendo didn't make the Switch for them..? Not sure but it has been an interesting read so far.

Sadist

You trying to get yourself ignored? Because that's how you get ignored!
Lol

But seriously, I just can't understand this kind of behaviour; if you are disappointed in something just take a breath of fresh air, go for a walk or whatever; it's just a piece of entertainment. And if you don't like a certain messageboard, just log off and well, do things you actually like :p

There was a thread like 2 days ago complaining that Digital Foundry has been ignoring PC coverage in favour of consoles. Ridiculous indeed...

Yes I've observed that trend and that doesn't at all change the tone of their articles. Leadbetter is so enamoured with PC hardware I wonder why they haven't broken off and cover that exclusively.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The dock probably has an NFC chip that tells the SoC to upclock when attached.

Why would it need that? It's already connecting via USB-C (probably), so it would know anyway. But it might be a special signal that the dock sends, which would mean no upclocking from just connecting a charger or power pack or whatever. And yeah, if the dock has an extra fan that's that.

The current WiiU price has a word to share with you....
Wii U's price is held up because of the gamepad, many other systems don't reflect their manufacturering costs such as the 3DS or even a bunch of phones and tablets. It's rare that we actually pay for the components, it's the ecosystem and brand that you're paying for. Switch will probably go for around $250 not because of its components but because it's a Handheld console hybrid where you can play Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. That's worth quite a lot of money.

Kssio_Aug

Do you really think this as simple as 2 + 2 = 4?

In this case Nintendo wouldn't have already built a strong Nintendo console and destroy the competition? With standard consoles losing their "generation" aspect to keep up with PC technology as well as Playstation, Microsoft and PC (wich includes Steam) fighting each other in the same battlefiled, is not something Nintendo will necessarily handle well if they bring a new strong console to the market (just one more among other several estabilished and strong options).

If they do not bring something different they have little chances against these estabilished companies, and that may not be a risk they want to assume. Most players looking for a strong hardware and standard console will, nowadays, buy a Playstation, a Xbox or a new graphic card instead of a Nintendo console doesn't matter how strong it is.

You know, as tragic as this power revelation is, I'm beginning to accept this. I don't think Nintendo will make anything on a similar scale to Breath of the Wild within the next 3 years, which means we'll get smaller scaled games where the graphical disparity isn't that noticeable. I thought SM3DW, MK8, Splatoon, and Smash 4 looked great, and having them on the go will be a huge upgrade from my 3DS. I just really hope we can get some AA and maybe some better texture filtering this time around, along with maybe 1080p in docked mode. Hopefully the slight power boost over the Wii U and the much more modern architecture can facilitate this.

As for 3rd party support, I wasn't really expecting any anyways. Hopefully they can at least draw in less technically demanding indies and maybe some last gen remasters.

Hakai

We are not even in January and the meltdowns are already happening?! I mean sure the Switch is not a beefy hardware, but doesn't people know that what is important are the games?

New 3D Mario and an open air Zelda game are on the way. More surprises to come, chill out peeps.

Blobbers

It's gonna be interesting to see how Dragon Quest XI, FF XV and FF VIIr are performing on the Switch, because if you think about it, these big Square Enix titles might be the closest we get to the Switch running a true next gen AAA title that's also on powerful consoles. That's it. There's probably not gonna be any ME: Andromeda or RDR 2 or stuff like that. I don't know if these games are even confirmed aside from DQ XI, but let's assume Nintendo will encourage SE to support the switch with their big titles

We are not even in January and the meltdowns are already happening?! I mean sure the Switch is not a beefy hardware, but doesn't people know that what is important are the games?

New 3D Mario and an open air Zelda game are on the way. More surprises to come, chill out peeps.

I'm actually thrilled this stuff got out before January. Makes me all the more excited for the event.

Except for all of the Wii U games supporting off-TV play. They work on a single screen. Vast majority, hardly anything lost.
Switch is aimed at taking pressure off Nintendo 1st party resource allocation. No more splitting support between multiple platforms. No more tough decisions which market needs / deserves propping up more vs revenue opportunities. Full attention focused on one thing.

Everything else is rationalization. Switch will not make the tiniest dent into neither smart device usage nor competing home consoles. It's just as ill-equipped for that as the Wii U was.
I'd say they were right. The Switch is aimed at merging handheld and console users. That's what the Nintendo investor slides said. Development getting merged is a great benefit.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Why would they make a Nintendo branded PS4 or Xbox One when about 80 million consumers already have those systems?
Why would they make a tablet gaming system when 100s of millions of people have phones and tablets? I just explained this, what is the confusion?

People asking why Nintendo should make a dedicated home console is crazy to me. I'm old enough to remember when Nintendo meant console. SNES days were glorious with great graphics, sound, and 3rd-party support.

Zedark

The amount of care is surprising, really. Nintendo (or maybe gaming?) has some really passionate fans. Honestly, I'm just looking for something to play in between doing other things such as work, school, drinking (sounds bad lol); I'm not looking for anything that's going to knock my socks off. I admire you guys that give so much to this genre. Maybe the Switch is geared more towards people like me that just want to play Smash Bros or Mario Kart on the go - and people are angry because Nintendo didn't make the Switch for them..? Not sure but it has been an interesting read so far.

For me, as much as I would like the Switch to be as powerful as possible, the system has it's primary appeal in allowing me to access both console and handheld games from Nintendo and play them however I like. I want to play Fire Emblem and pokémon on the go and on my tv, and I don't care that much whether they are powered by a 153 GFLOPS or 300 GFLOPS or 500 gflops system. For people who want Nintendo as their primary system, though, having disappointing hardware specs will be a detriment, as it potentially limit or completely destroys third party support. For me, third party support is a bonus (Skyrim on the go and on tv instead of on tv only).

What I would actually point out is that the Vita is much smaller than a tablet or the Switch and neither Vita or the ipad require a fan to cool the unit, which will drain the battery.

The active cooling is pretty disappointing in handheld mode unless it's proven the device has more SMs, yeah.

But Vita was also notably thicker than a tablet - the Vita-1000 especially (19mm thick). Switch is thinner than a Vita-2000 (13-14mm, Vita-2000 was 15mm).

Why would they make a tablet gaming system when 100s of millions of people have phones and tablets? I just explained this, what is the confusion?

People asking why Nintendo should make a dedicated home console is crazy to me. I'm old enough to remember when Nintendo meant console. SNES days were glorious with great graphics, sound, and 3rd-party support.

SNES was over 20 years ago. It's about to turn 2017.

LordKano

It's gonna be interesting to see how Dragon Quest XI, FF XV and FF VIIr are performing on the Switch, because if you think about it, these big Square Enix titles might be the closest we get to the Switch running a true next gen AAA title that's also on powerful consoles. That's it. There's probably not gonna be any ME: Andromeda or RDR 2 or stuff like that. I don't know if these games are even confirmed aside from DQ XI, but let's assume Nintendo will encourage SE to support the switch with their big titles

I don't think there's a single rumor talking about FFXV or FFVIIR ? Or I just missed something. But DQXI is confirmed, such as DQX and Square has probably a bunch of other stuff for the console, as they always support a lot Nintendo handleds.

Manoko

That's what makes me sad to be honest.

No one of you guys have good memories about powerful Nintendo home consoles ?
Do you guys only enjoy the handheld part of Nintendo ?

The Switch means Nintendo will probably never come back to making a dedicated home console, a true one, not some weak hardware you can play on the go and plug into your TV.

They are once again chasing a market that will ignore them. Nintendo never learns from their mistakes or is too stubborn to change.

I feel like you guys are settling for poor hardware because Nintendo's software is awesome, and that's the real shame. They bought your disappointment and you're not as expecting of them it feels like.
Feels bad being a Nintendo fan these days, they've screwed up their hardware so hard on the past few generations that everyone is resigned to accept it rather than being excited about it and driving them to do better when they clearly fail.

KAL2006

Banned
Nintendo killing their consoles is not surprising.

Nintendo fans are not enough to make Nintendo consoles successful.

People bought Wii due to the motion fad. Microsoft and Sony have basically taken most of the market share. N64, GameCube, Wii (after motion fad) and Wii U has shown there isn't enough Nintendo fans to keep Nintendo consoles afloat. Nintendo handhelds however are not doing as bad though they are still on a downwards trend in terms of sales.

Nintendo ditching consoles and making Handheld with HDMI and putting all thier focus on 1 system is a genius idea. I'm not saying it will be a success but I can't think of any ideas where Nintendo could do well as they have been basically cornered by both Sony/MS and the mobile market. I do reckon Switch wont be a huge success until it's cheap where you can get a system for $200 with the next mainline Pokemon. Nintendo are using common components so Switch can easily be sold for dirt cheap down the line so I think it's clever what Nintendo are doing. I can see 2DS and 3DS Pokemon Sun and Moon bundles killing it with sales. Once Switch is at that price range they will be successful. 3DS had a slow start until it got cheaper and I think same will happen with Switch.

nOoblet16

Tabata only said he finds the idea of Switch interesting, I doubt he knew anything about the specs of the console.
Because there is no way FFXV will work on Switch if it is what it is claimed to be in this thread.

SE will probably support Switch but it'll most likely be newer tittles.

Wii U's price is held up because of the gamepad, many other systems don't reflect their manufacturering costs such as the 3DS or even a bunch of phones and tablets.

Yup. In particular the Wii U was built with lots of nonstandard components (the multi-chip-module that house the CPU and GPU is going to be expensive to fabricate) and Nintendo's just not able to reap the economies of scale than if it were built from standard components whose price would be driven down from competitors using them. Would have been a different story if the Wii U was a success, of course, but it's not like they'd be producing them in iPhone-like quantities, which are so big that Apple can easily justify the cost of investing into technologies like 3D touch, TouchID, supporting DCI-P3 in the iPhone 7 and so on.

Kssio_Aug

The Switch means Nintendo will probably never come back to making a dedicated home console, a true one, not some weak hardware you can play on the go and plug into your TV.

They are once again chasing a market that will ignore them. Nintendo never learns from their mistakes or is too stubborn to change.

I doo have a good memory. And if I remember correctly GameCube was kicked in the ass against Playstation 2 (a much weaker hardware).

Tabata only said he finds the idea of Switch interesting, I doubt he knew anything about the specs of the console. Because there is no way FFXV will work on Switch if it is what it is claimed to be in this thread.

So far away are the sweet days already when people claimed Switch should easily get Xbox One ports at 720p.

Yes I've observed that trend and that doesn't at all change the tone of their articles. Leadbetter is so enamoured with PC hardware I wonder why they haven't broken off and cover that exclusively.

I mean, if you're primarily interested in tech chances are PC is going to have the best version. Doesn't really come as a shock to me.

This is actually the first time I've seen this allegation levelled at DF (not that I've been paying too much attention)

MacTag

Banned
This is ridiculous - Switch is pretty much in the same place Vita was when it launched, relative to its peers from a hardware perspective (Vita was basically a downclocked iPad 3, Switch compares favourably to a downclocked iPad Pro 12").

Now, people are going to point out the screen, but 720p makes perfect sense for the sorts of games Switch is going to play anyway. A 1080p screen like the iPhone 7 Plus would be overkill right now and a 1440p screen pointless given the distance you'll hold the system from your face, and the diminishing returns Vs drain on battery life. 1440p makes more sense if you're trying to do 1080p on an OLED screen as the PenTile subpixel matrix on OLED means the effective resolution of the display often lands in the ballpark of 2/3-3/4 of the stated resolution.
I'd argue Switch is in a much better place to power it's 720p screen than Vita was it's 540p screen. Hopefully means no subnative games like Vita was plauged with.

What can Nintendo really do? Handhelds are dying and the console market is a red ocean with Playstation and Xbox (a market Nintendo gave away in the N64/Gamecube era by being too slow to adapt). This will be gimmick round 3, but they will find that after Wii, the mass market wont come again. Honestly, I think Nintendo will end up as software only and there is nothing wrong with that. It's where their strength is and they are not Sega.

Manoko

What can Nintendo really do? Handhelds are dying and the console market is a red ocean with Playstation and Xbox (a market Nintendo gave away in the N64/Gamecube era by being too slow to adapt). This will be gimmick round 3, but they will find that after Wii, the mass market wont come again. Honestly, I think Nintendo will end up as software only and there is nothing wrong with that. It's where their strength is and they are not Sega.

I wish this transition would happen faster.
I know people here don't like these kind of comments, but I agree that Nintendo's strength is their software, and I believe it is gimped by their hardware.

Moving their games to other hardware manufacturers who actually know what they are doing in this industry and are selling loads (Sony and Microsoft) would probably translate to a lot more sales for Nintendo's first parties.

The problem with Nintendo choosing a more powerful hardware is the cost of development. They don't want that, they don't want to follow the path that is chooking the industry. They can't stop the evolution of hardware but they'll keep it at a minimum thr longest time posible.

So having Wii U—like software cost for several more years, is ideal for Nintendo, even at the cost of third party support.

There's seriously nothing to contribute other than what's already been said if we don't have more info on the amount of SM core number.

I just really hope it isn't two. That would push this purchase back on my priority list by quite a bit.

EDIT: Choking the industry is a but much. While I do believe that certain sections of the market (Japan and mid-tier devs along with certain unevolving franchises) will die off in the coming years I don't see this happening to the degree where we get a second game crash when they can just transition to mobile and PC services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom