• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Dom

How many Nintendo franchises do you like? Are you willing to pay the price of entry for those? For me, it's 2-3. That's a lot to pay for a weak device that will probably gather dust due to not getting all the good third party titles on the other consoles.

For me, this gen I've never had an Xbox One or PS4 (there's no Ninja Gaiden 4). I've just had a Wii U and a 3DS. I've had a great time with both systems.

As for third party titles, they may flock if they see this as a way to bring their big titles to a portable audience.

fireflame

If Nintendo had been less silent and communicated more with people, maybe there would be less disappointment about specs. Silence led to speculations and raised expectations, and now people read the truth they feel disappointed. This was predictable and yet Nintendo could not prevent it.

MuchoMalo

Banned
This is supposed to be a product that is tested and quality. Nintendo including a fan on the thing doesn't mean that its secretly hiding more power. It could just mean that its always running at a low circulation to keep the machine from getting hot in long stretches

Yup, that's what Ive been thinking too. Basically, making sure the device life isnt shortened by heat.

Then it still means that they fucking suck at hardware design. That whole SoC should only use like 3W on the go. Fuck Nintendo's entire hardware team.

Then it still means that they fucking suck at hardware design. That whole SoC should only use like 3W on the go. Fuck Nintendo's entire hardware team.

Nintendo didn't design the SoC. I wasn't at all even surprised at the presence of a fan given the Nvidia involvement - even the Shield portable was actively cooled.

That might be out of the cards considering devs are already working on games with that clock in mind.

What a ridiculous post. It seems like when people cant handle facts they go into defensive "you have an agenda!" mode. Accept the facts and don't shoot the messenger

I was just reading another thread about Digital Foundry and you are going out of your way defending them there as well. You work for them?

I don't care about the Switch. But are you really trying to argue that DF don't have this utterly annoying tendency to compare everything to high-end PCs. It's not even relevant to people who are going to buy a Switch, absolutely irrelevant. But seems Leadbetter has this carrion call to get console gamers to move over to the PC. Ridiculous.

Clefargle

I mean, I'd love powerful Nintendo hardware just as much as the next guy. But it doesn't personally affect me or make me angry that they don't offer that. Maybe someday we will get power options but as of today, Im just here for the games.

Metal B

Who cares that the specs for this are low.

This is Digital Foundry again trying to score a point for 'high-end PCs' which seems to be the comparison point for every.single.article they write. They might as well have the opening paragraph to their articles read: 'the ultimate gaming experience can be enjoyed with a high-end PC'.
Digital Foundry is actually more positive about the Switch, than people in this thread. They settled, that Nintendo "only" created a realistic mobile console. Everybody would have loved a wonder device, but we got something that just made sense.

ggx2ac

They might not care for the minutiae butter will care about what it means for software support.

The fact that Switch doesn't compare favourably to modern phones is going to damage its rep too. Nevermind phones coming in the next few years.

Microsoft owns Nokia right? Imagine if they brought back the N-Gage to compete with Switch? lol

Spman2099

This sounds a lot like a Nintendo console.

We will have to see about that price; I expect it will be unreasonably high. I think $249.99 will be the best case scenario, which is fairly unreasonable for what we are getting here.

If Nintendo had been less silent and communicated more with people, maybe there would be less disappointment about specs. Silence led to speculations and raised expectations, and now people read the truth they feel disappointed. This was predictable and yet Nintendo could not prevent it.

Yup.

Nintendo’s old mistake: Staying silent

David Jenkins said:
The questions I’ve posed would be simple enough ones to ask of someone from Microsoft or Sony, but there’s almost literally no-one to give their side of the story from Nintendo. Most of the important people only speak Japanese – even the head of Nintendo Europe barely speaks English – and US mouthpiece Reggie Fils-Aime seems to be employed purely on his basis to avoid every pointed question that’s ever aimed at him.

And despite the illusion of transparency given by Nintendo Direct announcements they still give away virtually nothing, it’s just instead of playing their smoke and mirrors game with the press Nintendo take it straight to their customers.

The reason there’s so much written about Nintendo, and that so much of it is negative, is that no one really has a clue what they’re doing. So to fill the void there’s not much else to do but rely on speculation and educated guesses.

Hydrargyrus

1. -shrug-

2. I think so, absolutely. Especially for devs who say have made a PS4 game and think about porting to Switch...working with 5.5gb etc vs 4gb (and i'm assuming it will be more like 3-3.5gb once you take out a portion for the OS) will require optimization, and even then it's a case of time + money vs profit at the end of the day.

And how about the speeds, bw, etc?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Because we were fucking lied to by all of you stupid insiders. Our expectations were in check. Nintendo didn't meet them. Stop making fucking copout excuses. WHY DOES THIS PIECE OF SHIT HARDWARE NEED A FAN!? Nintendo's engineers are hacks. Fire them all and go third-party.

Also, ignored for the stupid copout response.

all*

The only difference is how much at once. The hardware itself is more modern than Base PS4 or Xbone.

The some was in regards to the 3DS, it had fixed function shaders, didn't it?

I was just reading another thread about Digital Foundry and you are going out of your way defending them there as well. You work for them?

I don't care about the Switch. But are you really trying to argue that DF don't have this utterly annoying tendency to compare everything to high-end PCs. It's not even relevant to people who are going to buy a Switch, absolutely irrelevant. But seems Leadbetter has this carrion call to get console gamers to move over to the PC. Ridiculous.

There was a thread like 2 days ago complaining that Digital Foundry has been ignoring PC coverage in favour of consoles. Ridiculous indeed...

Sheesh, well, sorry. This is the best Nvidia could come up with for this device. If there were two separate devices - a handheld and a console - and Nintendo went and made their own SoC with ARM cores and a PowerVR GPU, you'd probably get the 3W fanless handheld and a 1TFLOP console that the Apple TV should have been.

As for my tangent about PowerVR, Nintendo's partnership with Nvidia started over two years ago - so was overseen by Iwata - and I think Nvidia's support in terms of providing tools like the NVN API and PhysX is probably worth Nintendo's while for going with them over PowerVR. Imagination Technologies aren't in a good place financially either.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Huh? Can one be more blatantly trolling than this guy?

He's had a rough journey. He started overly negative, started to get a bit more positive about the potential specs and now the specs were revealed to be what they are lol

It would alienate the current fanbase and is too long and deep for mobile. Main Pokemon will never work with mobile unless they gut the entire thing.

Kinda like how Nintendo as a company needs to be gutted and sold to a competent company.

I hope Switch gets even weaker so emulation can come quickly, because I'm not buying this piece of shit. I'm happy with my PC.

Malo showing his true colours. I'm glad you finally dropped the pretense.

Edit: Oh my, full twat-mode from now I guess.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I mean, I'd love powerful Nintendo hardware just as much as the next guy. But it doesn't personally affect me or make me angry that they don't offer that. Maybe someday we will get power options but as of today, Im just here for the games.

If we all agree not to buy this trash, they'll go third-party.

The fact that Switch doesn't compare favourably to modern phones is going to damage its rep too. Nevermind phones coming in the next few years.

This is ridiculous - Switch is pretty much in the same place Vita was when it launched, relative to its peers from a hardware perspective (Vita was basically a downclocked iPad 3, Switch compares favourably to a downclocked iPad Pro 12").

Now, people are going to point out the screen, but 720p makes perfect sense for the sorts of games Switch is going to play anyway. A 1080p screen like the iPhone 7 Plus would be overkill right now and a 1440p screen pointless given the distance you'll hold the system from your face, and the diminishing returns Vs drain on battery life. 1440p makes more sense if you're trying to do 1080p on an OLED screen as the PenTile subpixel matrix on OLED means the effective resolution of the display often lands in the ballpark of 2/3-3/4 of the stated resolution.

I can't even fathom how you're angry about a device that hasn't been officially revealed yet.. Just wait man, you're being far too hastey.

If we associated hardware with value then the 3DS would be in every bargain bin, we don't pay for the hardware, we pay for the system. And we don't even know the price yet.

Matbtz

Nope
We haven't reached a consensus saying the switch is trash yet, I haven't. Still gonna buy it, the games will make the difference not the hardware. I have a wonderful time with the library of games of the wii u. Why should I be worried about a more powerful console ?
Why are you ignoring the second guy? They may all have a point, the Switch is being revealed in a few weeks, you shouldn't get too emotional attached to rumors.

Yep just wait the reveal, just few more weeks and we will have more answers.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I can't even fathom how you're angry about a device that hasn't been officially revealed yet.. Just wait man, you're being far too hastey.

If we associated hardware with value then the 3DS would be in every bargain bin, we don't pay for the hardware, we pay for the system. And we don't even know the price yet.

It's not going to be $150

mocoworm

Do you think that if you plugged in the SWITCH while on the go, with a power pack/adapter/plug... say, in the office or on a train ... you would get the full power just like you would if it was in the dock at home?

Oregano

This is ridiculous - Switch is pretty much in the same place Vita was when it launched, relative to its peers from a hardware perspective (Vita was basically a downclocked iPad 3, Switch compares favourably to a downclocked iPad Pro 12").

Now, people are going to point out the screen, but 720p makes perfect sense for the sorts of games Switch is going to play anyway. A 1080p screen like the iPhone 7 Plus would be overkill right now and a 1440p screen pointless given the distance you'll hold the system from your face, and the diminishing returns Vs drain on battery life. 1440p makes more sense if you're trying to do 1080p on an OLED screen as the PenTile subpixel matrix on OLED means the effective resolution of the display often lands in the ballpark of 2/3-3/4 of the stated resolution.

What I would actually point out is that the Vita is much smaller than a tablet or the Switch and neither Vita or the ipad require a fan to cool the unit, which will drain the battery.

Zedark

Do you think that if you plugged in the SWITCH while on the go, with a power pack/adapter/plug... say, in the office or on a train ... you would get the full power just like you would if it was in the dock at home?

There would be no reason why not, IF there is no additional fan in the dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom